Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2007, 17:07   #61
BHPian

I feel Dubai now does not have that kind of open roads for speeding and moreover I saw a lot of cameras istalled all over which I think is keeping the speed in control. I feel the worst in terms of road traffic is Saudi as there is no control on the roads there is big roads with less traffic and every ones got a V6 for a bare minimum add to it no speed detectors.
Old 4th February 2007, 11:03   #62
Senior - BHPian

Update on Traffic Fines

Last edited by Steeroid : 4th February 2007 at 11:21.
Old 4th February 2007, 11:22   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer_dg View Post
I feel Dubai now does not have that kind of open roads for speeding and moreover I saw a lot of cameras istalled all over which I think is keeping the speed in control. I feel the worst in terms of road traffic is Saudi as there is no control on the roads there is big roads with less traffic and every ones got a V6 for a bare minimum add to it no speed detectors.

Heaven!!!

Sorry... But, after the kind of roads we have here... Cant help expressing...

One question: How's the accident secnario there???
Old 4th February 2007, 12:21   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer_dg View Post
I feel Dubai now does not have that kind of open roads for speeding and moreover I saw a lot of cameras istalled.
maybe not during rush hour. all other times you can max out your car provided its got really good breaks to slow down for the speed cameras.
I did spot a few dummy cameras in dubai and a lots of dummy speed cams in abu dhabi (i pointed a radar detector at them and it went off on only a few occasions)
Old 5th February 2007, 14:03   #65
Team-BHP Support

With respect to the article on fines for traffic violations posted by Steeroid , i wish such practices were imposed here in India too, it would make the roads a much better n safer place !!

We get good roads as part of GQ, and then some morons go about the wrong side of the road, creating havoc..... Bah.!
Old 25th February 2007, 10:32   #66
Senior - BHPian

Road Romance in Arabia!!!

Courtesy: Straight Talk by Zarina Khan, Emirates Today (emiratestodayonline.com)

This is an e-paper and therefore I cannot post a link, hence a full Reproduction.

As a reporter I have a sort A of a fly-on-the-wall view of the world, and when you work in Dubai – Gridlock Central – much of the viewing is of the roads. It’s there I have discovered mankind’s latest anthropological evolution – Road Romance.

Lead by Road Romeos – avant-garde men of the future – this is the annoyance of today going to the dictum of tomorrow. It plays out like this… The Road Romeo stakes out his position in the fast lane like a cheetah at the watering hole. There, instead of driving fast as one would assume, he exhibits great creativity and opts instead to drive slow. It is not a representation of his mental density, as you would assume, but a clever strategy.

As the cars behind near and slow, lest they tailgate his chariot of cheekiness, Romeo seeks out his prospects. With his rear-view-mirror trained on the drivers behind, he seeks out his prey, moving over only to let men and mannish women pass.
But when a female driver takes Romeo’s liking then begins The Dance. Like the complicated mating ritual of an exotic bird, it is intricate and steeped in symbolism.

The Road Romeo, seeing the impatient but cute female driver behind, will veers towards the slower lane, giving the appearance that he will let her pass. Just as the Juliet speeds up to take the space vacated, Romeo swerves back.

In that moment of dangerous proximity and high tension, our subject makes his final judgment. Only a few feet away, he has the best view of the driver’s features and his erratic behaviour is a ruse to force the potential partner to reveal any undesirable character flaws, such as a penchant for birdy flipping or, even worse, having a male in the passenger seat.
This can go on for some time, as the Road Romeo tests the candidate. When she is found to be satisfactory, he will eventually move over and allow her to overtake. Passing becomes a Pass, and then begins The Chase.

In this stage of the Road Romance, our Don Juan quickly gets behind his object of affection and proceeds to tailgate. That is his subtle way of letting Juliet know she has been honoured with his eye.

He will then flash his lights, symbolic of the human wink from across a room. A quieter Romeo uses his low-beams for this, while the brash prefer to flicker xenons and highbeams, blinding Juliet with his lights, if not his very majesty.

At this point, it is believed, though not yet proven, that Juliet is expected to submissively pull into the slower lane and allow Romeo to drive beside her and profess his undying love across the lanes. There may even be the expectation of a ring-exchange between open windows.

In reality, however, it seems that most Road Romeos will be content with a Bluetooth message, which may happen either in a slower stage of The Dance or The Chase, or lastly, at The Stop.

The Stop is Romeo’s last chance to seal the deal. Racing to keep pace, he meets Juliet at a signal or roundabout, where he will pull up beside her. Rolling down his tinted window, Romeo unveils the undeniable charms of his artfully manicured facial hair, massive designer sunglasses and rakish head gear, that, paired with the romantic ambiance from the music blaring from his cutting-edge car stereo system and his heady car air freshener – is sure to win over his Juliet.

She will then either jump headlong into his waiting chariot, throw a perfumed handkerchief through his open window, or at least exchange numbers.

So that is Road Romance, coming soon to a lane near you.
Old 18th April 2007, 17:13   #67
Senior - BHPian

SMILE! You're on (mobile) camera!!!

New in Dubai - these have started appearing all over town. Pics courtesy an alert colleague:

Radar1.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Radar2.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Radar3.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Last edited by Steeroid : 18th April 2007 at 17:17.
Old 19th April 2007, 13:39   #68
Team-BHP Support

The mobile camera is a good move to counter speeding motorists.
Just hope they dont stick to the same make of the vehicle always, lest people associate that with the radar.
Old 19th April 2007, 19:24   #69
BHPian

damn, thats impressive. id never recognize it from the first picture.
Old 27th April 2007, 20:47   #70
Senior - BHPian

Another tunnel crash - this time in the tunnel under the Creek:

And another older one:

Old 28th April 2007, 18:24   #71

O my God! Thats horrific! Cant even begin to imagine the condition of the passengers in the vehicle that truck rammed into from behind.
Old 29th April 2007, 17:35   #72
Senior - BHPian

New 'Trashcan' radars under testing. So called because they're painted to resemble roadside trashcans.

They can allegedly detect speeding from 150m away, thereby negating all the good work we do by applying the brakes in front of regular radars. They also feature a Yellow-Line sensor to snap vehicles driving on the hard shoulder. Multi-function cameras.

And as of this week, speeding > 200kmph = court summons and possible loss of license, not just fines as of now.
Old 29th April 2007, 17:43   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
A young national from my office had 3 of his 5 cars impounded (jumping red lights) and faces the real prospect of imprisonment.

People are scared now - this young man cannot believe what is happening to him. He took leave from the office to surrender his cars as he is afraid the cops will land up at home if he doesnt do so.
Update

Young man DID NOT surrender his car. He continued driving.

Jumped one more red light a week back and (his Pathfinder) was rammed into by a Hummer. Bang!

Turns out that the young man's license has expired (some kind of junior permit issued when they are 16), vehicle registration has not been renewed for 2 years and he has no insurance.

So much for fines!
Old 29th April 2007, 18:59   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
New 'Trashcan' radars under testing. So called because they're painted to resemble roadside trashcans.

They can allegedly detect speeding from 150m away, thereby negating all the good work we do by applying the brakes in front of regular radars.
nice trashcan radars, though they should paint it green or something, not bright colors. any good radar detector can detect the radars from 200m away
Old 29th April 2007, 19:05   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap_deal View Post
nice trashcan radars, though they should paint it green or something, not bright colors. any good radar detector can detect the radars from 200m away
Original radars in Dubai were painted a dull sand tone for camouflage. Unfortunately everyone looks out for dull sand tone boxes now.

So they decided to sell advertising space on the Radar Boxes to camouflage them. HP took all the spaces, and within two months HP was the most hated company/organization in Dubai. Soon the boxes became sand colored again - I guess HP didnt renew the contract.

So now you have this latest attempt. Lets see what comes of it - they resemble the new trashcans so they're likely to be overlooked, plus they're rather small. Too small to notice when you're driving, actually.

And as for radar detecters, Mr. Cheap Deal - this is a monarchy. If you're caught with a radar detector, nobody's gonna take you to court or give you a lawyer. You can say bye bye to your car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks