Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2018, 13:58   #16
BHPian

Re: Trapped in a cave - A soccer team from Thailand

What do you want to say about this https://www.bbc.com/news/live/447550...2e1066d525511?
In fact, since the day they were found, I have been thinking that one day this (a movie) might happen, but did not knew that people are so 'fast' thinking?
Old 10th July 2018, 14:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
The boys are struck at about 11 kms into the cave. It is the narrow structure of the cave that's filled with water now and lack of oxygen at certain parts of the cave, making the rescue operations difficult. It takes 11 hours for a round trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
The Australian news sites have some graphics to illustrate:
Thanks for shedding the light on the grave situation these guys are at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
I am still not getting if the boys entered the cave using the same path the rescuers are trying to get them out. If so, how did they manage to enter the point where it is only 38 cms wide? As the path is not straight, did they manage to climb up and down the path leading to where they are now?
Exactly my question when I looked at the graphics. But you know I think I know the answer. These cave system when dry - present itself as a trekking challenge. And it must be a regular haunt for the local folks.
Old 10th July 2018, 14:25   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
The boys are struck at about 11 kms into the cave. It is the narrow structure of the cave that's filled with water now and lack of oxygen at certain parts of the cave, making the rescue operations difficult. It takes 11 hours for a round trip.
are you sure about '11 kms'? because, from what i have read, it is around 2.6m (or around 4kms) from the mouth of the cave?
Old 10th July 2018, 14:48   #19
BHPian

A couple of interesting articles explaining the chemistry on how the caves were formed and geological aspects of the area surrounding the caves.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevorn.../#3b06ad837095

Quote:
This is the chemical reaction that dissolved away 6 miles of the Tham Luang cave. The end result creates a network of channels and pathways in the limestone rock. This has been both a positive and a negative for the Thai boys and soccer coach trapped in the cave. Because rainwater has eroded away the cave and created cracks in the above mountain, water can quickly percolate down into the cave. This is what ultimately trapped the team deep inside the cave. On the other hand, the presence of cracks and channels has also helped to supply vital oxygen to the cave. Unfortunately, the speed at which water percolates through the cracks is much faster than air and thus oxygen levels cannot be replenished fast enough to counterbalance the soccer team's use of oxygen.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidbr.../#7cf92f213409

Quote:
Rescue teams searched for alternative ways inside the Doi Nang Non mountain, as cave systems in karst areas often have multiple entrances. One team traveled some 900 ft down a shaft on Thursday until they reached a dead end. Drilling teams have drilled more than 100 shafts through the mountain. Some of the shafts are as deep as 1,300 ft, but they still cannot find their location yet, as there are no exact maps the shafts missed the cave.
Old 10th July 2018, 18:07   #20
BHPian

Rescue operation completed.

All the remaining boys and coach now rescued from the cave.

Link
Old 10th July 2018, 18:37   #21
Senior - BHPian

I can imagine the plight of the kids in a pitch dark flooded cave probably with bats flying around. I experienced something similar to when I visited the Cathedral Caverns State Park in Alabama.

This natural cave is formed by an underground river, the terrain inside changes few meters. It has some gorgeous stalactites and stalagmites formations. At the far end of the cave where the regular tail ends, our guide switched off all the ambient light. Man it was pitch dark one could not see anything, I have never experienced such total darkness. One feel so helpless and vulnerable without our sight.

I was told that the underground cavern floods as the water inflow exceeds the outflow, hence one has to be careful if it rains. Water can rise quickly upto 40-60 feets in matter minutes cutting off the trail, I guess similar thing happened to this team.

Last edited by tj123 : 10th July 2018 at 18:37. Reason: typo
Old 10th July 2018, 18:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

Thai NavySEAL confirmed sometime back that all the boys and their coach were rescued.
Attached Thumbnails
Trapped in a cave - A soccer team from Thailand-tcr1.jpg  

Old 12th July 2018, 10:13   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
Tricolour flying their would have made me proud.
Here is the Indian connection in this rescue mission - How an Indian firm's help saved life in Thailand cave rescue mission
Attached Thumbnails
Trapped in a cave - A soccer team from Thailand-tcr3.jpg  

Old 12th July 2018, 10:41   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
are you sure about '11 kms'? because, from what i have read, it is around 2.6m (or around 4kms) from the mouth of the cave?
Sorry, my mistake. What you have mentioned is correct.
Old 12th July 2018, 11:01   #25
BHPian

A whatsapp forward praising the unsung heroes of the rescue operation....

Trapped in a cave - A soccer team from Thailand-img20180711wa0008.jpg

Trapped in a cave - A soccer team from Thailand-img20180711wa0009.jpg

Trapped in a cave - A soccer team from Thailand-img20180711wa0010.jpg

Trapped in a cave - A soccer team from Thailand-img20180711wa0011.jpg

Trapped in a cave - A soccer team from Thailand-img20180711wa0017.jpg

Trapped in a cave - A soccer team from Thailand-img20180711wa0018.jpg

Trapped in a cave - A soccer team from Thailand-img20180711wa0014.jpg
Old 12th July 2018, 11:10   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am still not getting if the boys entered the cave using the same path the rescuers are trying to get them out. If so, how did they manage to enter the point where it is only 38 cms wide? As the path is not straight, did they manage to climb up and down the path leading to where they are now?
This is exactly what is bugging me since the day i started following the rescue operations. Which route did the team take to end up stuck so deep inside the cave in the first place! Is the route taken by the kids and the rescue team different?
Old 14th July 2018, 22:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
if the boys entered the cave using the same path the rescuers are trying to get them out. If so, how did they manage to enter the point where it is only 38 cms wide?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Which route did the team take to end up stuck so deep inside the cave in the first place! Is the route taken by the kids and the rescue team different?
It does not look like the path used by the boys were different. The cave was not new to these boys and they had ventured into it earlier.

BBC News: Full story of Thailand’s extraordinary cave rescue

Quote:
The team and their young coach were ready to celebrate Night's birthday. They had often ventured deep into Tham Luang, sometimes as far as 8km, for initiation rites where they would write the names of new team members on a cave wall.

In high spirits, they clambered into the cave with just their torches. They didn't need much else - after all, they were only planning to be there for an hour.

. . . . .

One initial account from the boys suggests they were caught off-guard by a flash flood. They needed to get out, but instead had no choice but to scramble even deeper into the cave.

The Wild Boars eventually found themselves marooned on a small rocky shelf about 4km from the cave entrance, past a normally dry point known as Pattaya Beach which by now was flooded.

Last edited by airbus : 14th July 2018 at 23:07.
Old 15th July 2018, 09:48   #28
Team-BHP Support

The caves are very easy to explore when dry, when it starts flooding, it is a different ball game
Old 20th July 2018, 23:16   #29
Senior - BHPian

Here are first-hand accounts of some of the rescuers as documented in Four Corners by ABC News (Australia):

Last edited by airbus : 20th July 2018 at 23:23.
Old 25th July 2018, 16:24   #30
BHPian

After the Thai rescue, here is a video of another rescue mission, somewhere in North Karnataka. Tom Cruise would be proud.

https://twitter.com/mohanstatsman/st...72787832647680

People from the North Karnataka can understand the amusing conversation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks