Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2018, 21:59   #31
BHPian

Re: Mosquito menace : What do you do?

We use a mosquito net hung from a hook on the ceiling.
Old school yes, but the sight of mosquitoes sitting on the net outside while you are at peace inside is priceless!

As for living spaces I believe in complete brutality and hunt them down one by one and vanquish their existence into distant memory using my bug swatter.
rajathv8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2018, 15:48   #32
BHPian

The only way to deal with mosquitoes:

While you are awake -> a mosquito bat or zapper
While you are asleep -> a mosquito net
Old 11th July 2018, 16:09   #33
BHPian

Have tried most of the suggestions given by fellow BHPians above, so far have had only partial success in dealing with this nuisance; no wonder these are called "soLLe" (in Kannada)!
Also, not sure if the blood-group thing : group O being more prone to attacks is valid !? I am A-, wifey is O+ and the little monsters prefer me to her any day! Have a tough time shooing the solle's off, while she's having a smirk on her face.
Read about another jugaad somewhere : after emptying the liquid mosquito repellent, pour neem-oil mixed with powdered camphor and use the refill on the machine same way as before. Have to try this sometime soon!
Old 12th July 2018, 13:21   #34
BHPian

I have tried the Fabric Roll-ons from GoodKnight, and how found it to be very effective. It contains Eucalyptus oil hence it smells strong, but it keeps all mosquitoes at bay.

GoodKnight RollOn

Last edited by DuHasstMich : 12th July 2018 at 13:24.
Old 13th July 2018, 11:22   #35
BHPian

Has any tried this? I have read about how mosquitoes get attracted to CO2 and the moisture in the feet.

Old 13th July 2018, 11:39   #36
BHPian

I have tried such a trap for fruit flies, but not for mosquitoes.
The trap worked only for few days (for fruit-flies) and then they were untouched by the flies.

Is anyone aware of a fool-proof solution to getting rid of fruit-flies. The kitchen at my home is not in my control and neither the person who owns it!
Old 13th July 2018, 23:18   #37
BHPian

And talk about getting real life problems getting solved here at team-bhp. Mosquito issues, head right here . The mirth apart, mosquito nets / frame is what I have used to control the menace partially.

The netted door frame also makes for a good fitment if you feel the need of letting your doors remain open during the hot summer days (like the ones in Hyderabad). And I completely adore my mosquito zapping racquet which is the best tool to face the menace IMHO.

This thread reminded me of an incident during my college days in a hostel. One of our friend had a hole in his mosquito net which was a perfect route for the mosquitoes to gain entry. Quite frustrated and not wanting to buy a new net he just thought of an incredible idea to make another hole and put a plastic pipe between them, the mouths of the pipe facing outside of the net.

The logic (according to my friend) being the mosquitoes will enter thinking they are coming in for a sleeping human but the pipe will lead them outside.

Amazing guy though.
Old 14th July 2018, 15:05   #38
Senior - BHPian

A few weeks back I saw this ad on TV. It’s a roll on that you can apply on clothes. It can be useful to people who have skin allergy from Odomos.

Old 14th July 2018, 19:23   #39

In my experience, the aluminium sliding windows have gap between the two sliders and mosquito come inside the house through these gaps. Installing the mosquito net door is of no use if we have gaps between them. I suggest uPVC windows which prevents gaps between the window doors. uPVC windows with mosquito net is the best option to prevent mosquito's.

Also ensure to put net in bathroom and toilet windows.
Old 16th July 2018, 03:56   #40

I have lived in 20 houses in 11 different cities of this country. Most defense establishments are lush green (breeding grounds for all types of insects) and we have learnt the art of keeping these enemies out over time.
All doors, windows, ventilators or any other openings have to be covered with wire mesh as well as rubber beading around the seals.
Most important is discipline. No door can be left open for more than 3 seconds. Kids/domestic helps/elders don't take this seriously and that's what lets these pests in.
I use Hit spray once in 2 months as a precaution, but I have never faced the issue of spiders/insects/lizards in over a decade.

You have to protect your house as a fort and be very diligent at it. No amount of electric bats/ all-out can help. Decide on the boundaries for humans and insects, and guard it properly.
AdityaRai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2018, 09:43   #41
BHPian

1. Use mesh doors. This is vital to keep mosquitos out in the first place.

2. (A) Use Mosquito Liquidator (preferably with switchable modes of effectiveness) inside the room. I have to switch it off every day before going to sleep or the smell bothers me at night, but it can be safely used overnight if you're not allergic.

(B) Use mosquito repellant gels that are skin applicable to the exposed parts of your body if you plan on going out where mosquitos thrive (or for the little ones at home).

3. I use mosquito spray once in a while for immediate relief but this isn't an effective long term solution.
Old 16th July 2018, 13:23   #42
BHPian

haha interesting thread. I hate mosquitoes.
At home, i have mesh on my windows, and the racket for those that enter. While travelling i wear full sleeve t shirts and pants or jeans post sunset and at night i usually set the fan or ac on blast and cover head and ears with a hand towel to stop them from buzzing around my ear and keeping me up.

Can anyone share feedback on the Thermacell that PCI is selling?
Old 18th July 2018, 19:12   #43
BHPian

Have any of you had any success with these kind of Sonic repellents ?

https://smashingcommerce.com/product...?utm_source=sl
This particular product is being advertised heavily.

Can't trust the reviews on the site as most of them could be fake.
Old 19th July 2018, 11:46   #44
BHPian

I have used this fold-able mosquito net and it is very effective & convenient. Also, safe & economic as there is no chemicals involved and no monthly recurring purchases needed. Occasionally one or two will get inside the net, at that time will use a zapper.

Old 19th July 2018, 21:30   #45
Senior - BHPian

Have faced years and years of facing mosquito assault at home and have used everything under the sun to get relief; bare hands to swat/squish, repellant creams, sprays, anti mosquito mats and liquid vaporisors, nets on windows.

What has provided lasting relief is after installing nets on all the external doors (balconies included), mesh around exhaust fans and bathroom windows. Just a little care while passing through the doors and keeping the net/mesh door always closed does wonders in ensuring a mosquito free home. There is simply no way for them to enter inside now.

For all the ones that do manage to get in along with you through the doors, the electric swatter bat comes handy although it rarely needs to be used. All mosquito vaporizers, repellents and nets are thankfully redundant now.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 19th July 2018 at 21:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks