Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2019, 08:45   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2 Surya Kiran IAF aircraft crash at the Yelahanka airbase in Bengaluru

Got this on WhatsApp...as per this notice, there will be a "Missing man" formation as a tribute to the pilot who lost his life in this incident.
2 Surya Kiran IAF aircraft crash at the Yelahanka airbase in Bengaluru-img20190220wa000901.jpeg
Old 21st February 2019, 10:03   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I've been curious: what purpose do these aerobatics serve? Are the stunts they perform beneficial in enhancing their preparation/performance during deployment? Are they worth the possible human and financial loss?
The loss of a human life is of course extremely tragic. But I guess, for the kind of special people who have the capability to fly one of these extreme machines, performances like these are the 'sharp end of the sword' so to speak. The ability to master something like this and the opportunity to do so must be extremely appealing. I guess among the already elite group of fighter pilots, being the best among that select pool must also be an added incentive. I know we have a couple of experienced aviation professionals on this forum, perhaps they can provide a better insight. Anyone who has indulged in an adventure sport will be able to understand why the risks associated with that sport are worth it. And this sort of flying must be the ultimate adventure.
Old 21st February 2019, 11:38   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
The ability to master something like this and the opportunity to do so must be extremely appealing. I guess among the already elite group of fighter pilots, being the best among that select pool must also be an added incentive. I know we have a couple of experienced aviation professionals on this forum, perhaps they can provide a better insight.
Aerobatics is an important element of training, though when seen by public during Air Shows, it appears as a thrilling entertainment show. Many of the stunts performed serve as a simulation for possible real life scenarios. During dog fights for instance, it is possible for a fighter aircraft to go into uncontrolled spin, experience aerodynamic stall or for the pilot to feel extremely high G forces. It is important that the pilot is trained to recover from these situations.

Military drills / mock dogfights performed along with other countries also serve similar purposes. Pilots also get a chance to come face to face with machines which are not used by their own countries, and in the process get some understanding of their capabilities.

Last edited by Malyaj : 21st February 2019 at 11:40. Reason: Corrected typos
Old 21st February 2019, 12:05   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malyaj View Post
During dog fights for instance, it is possible for a fighter aircraft to go into uncontrolled spin, experience aerodynamic stall or for the pilot to feel extremely high G forces. It is important that the pilot is trained to recover from these situations.
The question is, how often do we see dogfights in the modern era of 4++ gen fighters capable of firing BVRAM kind of missiles? Modern era would be more about seek, lock, fire kinds rather than close range dogfights I would say. There may still be those situations if it ever comes to that but I guess the kind of dogfights we saw in Topgun are getting rarer in the modern era of air combat.

Hey... that's completely off topic though. Sorry about it. So let's get back to the point of discussion here.
Old 21st February 2019, 13:29   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Got this on WhatsApp...as per this notice, there will be a "Missing man" formation as a tribute to the pilot who lost his life in this incident.
Below is the pic of missing man formation which was one of the flypast during opening ceremony. Notice the gap between Sukhoi and Jaguar signifying the missing pilot.

2 Surya Kiran IAF aircraft crash at the Yelahanka airbase in Bengaluru-lca_sukhoi_jaguar_formation_voyk_dsc_7892_1920px_wm.jpg
Courtesy: https://www.bangaloreaviation.com/

Last edited by DragonHawk : 21st February 2019 at 13:34.
Old 21st February 2019, 14:46   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Below is the pic of missing man formation which was one of the flypast during opening ceremony. Notice the gap between Sukhoi and Jaguar signifying the missing pilot.
Are you sure this is the missing man? the angle of the picture shows a larger gap there IMO. And I think the said formation will be done with the Suryakirans
Old 21st February 2019, 15:15   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure this is the missing man? the angle of the picture shows a larger gap there IMO. And I think the said formation will be done with the Suryakirans
It is the finger-four or the fingertip formation, with the second "fingertip" (as seen from right-to-left from in the top view) missing. It should have been the SKAT doing the tribute, but they are grounded for the time being.
Old 21st February 2019, 15:35   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I was expecting SKAT to perform the missing man flypast but it was not the case as it is grounded.

Missing man formation video can be found here
https://twitter.com/livefist/status/1098199275132063744

Last edited by DragonHawk : 21st February 2019 at 15:52.
Old 21st February 2019, 16:40   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1850612
Quote:

Attachment 1850686
Courtesy: https://www.bangaloreaviation.com/
Quote:
Quote:
Yes I was expecting SKAT to perform the missing man flypast but it was not the case as it is grounded.

Missing man formation video can be found here
https://twitter.com/livefist/status/1098199275132063744
2 Surya Kiran IAF aircraft crash at the Yelahanka airbase in Bengaluru-missingmanformation.jpg

From another angle, with a better perspective and signifying the "missing man formation".

Image courtesy - As received on WhatsApp
Old 21st February 2019, 17:12   #25
BHPian

Many of you may not be familiar with this incident that happened in 1991.The Flight actually crashed in an engineering college neighboring IAF Yelahanka.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...cle8394881.ece
Old 22nd February 2019, 14:51   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

The place where these crashed is no more a field or an open ground. Sources say its near ISRO Layout and there are quite a few homes here already. Also,right around the Airforce base are residential layouts and taller apartments around (after getting the required approvals for the maximum number of floors) and each day new ones are coming up. Heck, the last Airshow we watched it from the balcony of a BHPian friend and we could literally see the runway and the pilots board the flight sitting from here.

Even when regular flights are on business on normal days, they fly super close to our apartment and often we feel what if.....
When the Mirage crash happened at the HAL airport, I just dreaded to think what would have happened had it crashed on the ever busy and jam packed outer ring road!! Specially since the outer ring road lies perpendicular to the runway and is right in the landing/take off path of any aircraft operating from the HAL airport. Not to forget, the numerous buildings and PGs which have sprung up in and around the outer ring road.

I just wish a speedy recovery to the injured pilots, and may Wg Cmdr Sahil Gandhi's soul rest in peace.
Old 22nd February 2019, 14:56   #27
BHPian

Really Sad News. We lost two of the best pilots. Rest in Peace and prayers for the members of the family whom they left behind.

Looking at the video that was being surfaced on social media and news I was under the impression that the wings of the Hawk was clipped but I had my eyes opened when I saw that it was actually an aerobatic move which went wrong. Maybe the pilots have done this many a times earlier but this time the aircraft's came bit too close.

On the word about moving the Yelahanka Air Base and Aero India program moving out of Bangalore I think it would be a great idea, because with every passing day Bangalore is becoming more and more congested. GOD forbid if at all something of this sort occurs on a larger scale then it will definitely be causing a huge massacre. Loss of Life should be prevented at any cost. That should be the motto.

@moderators- Since I am a newbie please merge or remove or delete the post if I said something wrong here and somehow it is against the Team-BHP rules. Apologies for my errors if I made any.
Old 22nd February 2019, 15:55   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingHuman View Post
Many of you may not be familiar with this incident that happened in 1991.The Flight actually crashed in an engineering college neighboring IAF Yelahanka.

But there's no mention of a college in that article. It says bagalur which is not neighboring IAF and the only two colleges located there weren't present in 1991! Just curious to know which college as i got my degree from a college located in those parts!
Old 22nd February 2019, 21:32   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
But there's no mention of a college in that article. It says bagalur which is not neighboring IAF and the only two colleges located there weren't present in 1991! Just curious to know which college as i got my degree from a college located in those parts!

It shows how accurate the news reporting generally is.Crash happened in Sir M.VIT college surroundings, my seniors were live witness to the accident scene.
Old 22nd February 2019, 22:14   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingHuman View Post

I can never forget this one. One of the 25 trainees was my BE classmate, Ajay Kumar Sinha. His fiancee was also my classmate. We had all graduated in 1990, and most of us didn't have a phone connection. Still the word spread somehow slowly and we all discovered Ajay was one of the victims. It was a very sad day for us classmates.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks