Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2012, 23:01   #1246
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Former US president George W. Bush conducted a mountain biking event called W100 for veterans. The point is that he participated the entire event comprising 100kms distance on bike.

How many Indian politicians could think about such participation ?

Here are some event clips from the news sources

Inside George W. Bush's Wounded Warrior Bike Tour - Wounded Warriors - Fox Nation

George W. Bush on his bike ride honoring veterans: "This is a way for me to say that not only do I respect them, but I love them" – Piers Morgan - CNN.com Blogs
Old 8th July 2012, 23:08   #1247
Senior - BHPian

Guys, can someone tell me about servicing the bike. What should be the duration of the services? Mostly I'll take it to BOTS Bangalore for servicing. I've done around 500kms on the bike till now.
Old 11th July 2012, 14:36   #1248
Senior - BHPian

I'm planning to pick up GTR 4 series road bike.
The Bicycles thread-gtrser42011zoom_c.jpg

Its an alu-carbon frame. I did the Brevet 200 on this and was able to do some good speeds. Please let me know your thoughts whether its a good bike or what else can I look at ?

P.S.: Am selling my Btwin Forme1 Flat Bar.
P.P.S: Anyone doing Tour of Nilgiris this season?
Old 11th July 2012, 14:40   #1249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I'm planning to pick up GTR 4 series road bike.
Attachment 955053

Its an alu-carbon frame. I did the Brevet 200 on this and was able to do some good speeds. Please let me know your thoughts whether its a good bike or what else can I look at ?

P.S.: Am selling my Btwin Forme1 Flat Bar.
P.P.S: Anyone doing Tour of Niulgiris this season?
From my understanding, first and foremost is your fit.

Ensure that you are comfortable riding the bike. Then comes,

components that goes in ... if it Shimano then look for the groupset. It starts from Sora/Tiagara/105/ultegra etc. Depending on the terrain you ride, it is aslo important to have the right chain ring/rear cassette combination.

Registered for TfN but have not got invitation yet, but am not sure whether I will be able to go as I am planning to do Tour of Tamilnadu (happening around the same time)

Last edited by tifosikrishna : 11th July 2012 at 14:41.
Old 11th July 2012, 14:49   #1250
Senior - BHPian

Its a great bike. Go for it. Its a decent one and if u get one of the discounted pieces, nothing like it at those prices. (my cousin picked up one!)

kaushik, clean chain now. service at 1000-1200. leave that to the pros. else there are some threads on BZ or videos on youtube on bicycle maintenance.
Old 11th July 2012, 20:37   #1251
BHPian

Planning to buy a bicyle just for fun over weekend morning but have no idea about these things. With budget around 5-8k, can someone suggest a decent one please.
Old 11th July 2012, 21:06   #1252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmytravel View Post
Planning to buy a bicyle just for fun over weekend morning but have no idea about these things. With budget around 5-8k, can someone suggest a decent one please.
RR5. or the mach.

else for context, start here:
BikesZone - Cycling • View topic - The ultimate 'What bike should I buy' thread
http://www.bikeszone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8436
Old 11th July 2012, 21:10   #1253
Team-BHP Support

or the new bike from decathalon

Buy Btwin Cycling LEISURE MTB MY BIKE Online

Approx 7k without gears.
Old 11th July 2012, 21:17   #1254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
kaushik, clean chain now. service at 1000-1200. leave that to the pros. else there are some threads on BZ or videos on Youtube on bicycle maintenance.
Thanks for the heads up. Will clean the chain, I think I saw a thread on BZ about chain cleaning recently. Gotta dig that up. Got a puncture in the front tire yesterday, my first one. Hope fixing it won't be a tough job (I've the tools and few patches).
Old 12th July 2012, 10:37   #1255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
T Hope fixing it won't be a tough job (I've the tools and few patches).
Unless you are using very thin tyres or high pressure like 100PSI+ putting a patch should do. Else just change the tube.

Cheers
Old 12th July 2012, 14:44   #1256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unless you are using very thin tyres or high pressure like 100PSI+ putting a patch should do. Else just change the tube.

Cheers
Mine is an MTB with Knobby tire, so I guess I can fix the puncture with a patch? I normally keep the pressure around 60PSI. Hope it would hold the patch?
Old 12th July 2012, 16:44   #1257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Mine is an MTB with Knobby tire, so I guess I can fix the puncture with a patch? I normally keep the pressure around 60PSI. Hope it would hold the patch?
It will hold up dont worry. I have had patches on my roadie @100ps without any issues.
Old 12th July 2012, 17:33   #1258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
It will hold up dont worry. I have had patches on my roadie @100ps without any issues.
Generally on thin tyres, if you have patches on the tube, you can feel a bump while rolling. Hence its advised to change the tube. Plus Btwin tubes are not that expensive too so I prefer changing the tubes anyways.

Cheers
Old 13th July 2012, 09:36   #1259
BHPian

Quote:
Generally on thin tyres, if you have patches on the tube, you can feel a bump while rolling. Hence its advised to change the tube. Plus Btwin tubes are not that expensive too so I prefer changing the tubes anyways.

Cheers
If you patch it up the rightway the bumps are non noticeable. Its always better to replace the tubes.
Old 14th July 2012, 10:58   #1260
Team-BHP Support

I am currently home alone.

While I passed the weekdays, I had no idea what to do on a Friday night.
Was not interested in a regular night out and was thinking of something fun.

That is when I saw the Night Ride post on http://www.facebook.com/TheBikeAffair

I called up Krish and got it confirmed if 8:00 PM was start time from the store.

I left office by around 5 PM. Reached home. I had had a heavy breakfast and an equally heavy lunch. So decided to skip dinner.

I left home at about 7 PM. It was a nice ride along the service road of the ORR. In 40 minutes I crossed the Gachibowli flyover. But then started getting stuck in traffic. Stopped at Kothaguda and called up Krish. He told me to continue to the store and not worry about the time.

Reached the store and met some more riders waiting for the trip.
Krish lent me a light. As my bike did not have one.

We took off from the store around 8:30 or so.
I have not ridden on this road before. It was a mix of mud roads and tarmac. It was also the first time i was cycling in the night.

It takes a little time to get used to a bright light on the handlebar.
If you look at the light and then at the road, the glare gets to you.

Also the first time I am riding without being able to see which gear I am in. So it kinda makes you more aware of the cycle. Its a lot of fun when you realise you might me doing some weird combination. But these confusions last just a few minutes. You slowly rely on your other senses and they compensate quite well.

Till the Polaris junction on the ISB road, I was making some really good speeds. I was riding along with this young guy who also happens to be a colleague. We then waited under the flyover to regroup.

The road after this was very interesting. We started climbing a short hill. The view from the top in the night was very good.
Now I was one of the slowest riders in the group. So everyone was waiting for me. Luckily Krish was along for company.

We then continued on to the Gandipet Lake aka Osman Sagar.

It was a very humid night. We then stopped on top of the bund for some time. Had a few chocolates and shared some stories.
This lake is halfway between my home and TBA. So I decided to ride back home. This would be a ride back alone at around 9:45 PM.

On a road I have not used. Luckily one of the guys used his phone and showed me the route. I needed to ride straight till VIF college and then turn left.
Riding till that college on a dark road with trees was a little scary. I am used to the comfort of my car or the loud exhausts of my bike.
The silence when riding a cycle is so eerie. Having been watching a lot of horror movies did not help either.

I reached home and stashed the bike away. Its a initiative by TBA. Thanks guys. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Total Distance was about 44 kms.
Left home at about 7 PM.
Back by 10:00 PM.
Time on saddle, I guess was about 2 hours and 15-30 minutes.

Last edited by bblost : 14th July 2012 at 11:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks