Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2012, 12:16   #1156
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
that you did learn how to ride over the rattles or in fact how to avoid them.
I can't ride over them, but I just avoid them by riding around. But still I just pity the stupid engineers/contractors who lay such a long strip of breakers. 2 or 3 or even 4 is manageable but 15!
Old 19th April 2012, 13:11   #1157
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Actually this should have been my second of 50 km trip. Tried doing it yesterday but ended up crashing at a 15 speed breaker strip . But after riding again there today, payed my respects to it and took a snap of it as a souvenir:
Is this the one on the Service road parallel to the ORR between Narsingi and APPA.

I face them everyday on my home-office commute.

The first time was on my motorcycle. Thankfully did not crash. These are the only speed breakers on this stretch from Gachibowli. No one expects them and there they are.

What was your route btw?

Its a lot of fun riding this service road. Except for an occasional wayward driver, its a lot of fun. I love the view. The way you see the road below you as you move from Gachibowli to Appa.

Of course the same is a killer in the reverse direction.

Last edited by bblost : 19th April 2012 at 13:13.
Old 19th April 2012, 13:23   #1158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The first time was on my motorcycle. Thankfully did not crash. These are the only speed breakers on this stretch from Gachibowli. No one expects them and there they are.

What was your route btw?
Thats what precisely has happened. On a clean and smooth road I didn't expect a gang of speed breakers to come pounding upon my rims. Besides, being only white washed to half, from distance they didn't even look like speed breakers.

My route is Hydernagar(Miyapur)->Hitec city->Gachibowli->ORR service roads ( to whatever distance I can cycle)-> then U turn and trace back the route.
Yes, It is very serene, scenic and fresh in the morning, which makes me come back every morning.
But the number of ascents and descents is a different story- a tour de ORR.

Last edited by deetee : 19th April 2012 at 13:27.
Old 19th April 2012, 13:30   #1159
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But the number of ascents and descents is a different story- a tour de ORR.
This is the image I uploaded a couple of posts back.
Its the elevation profile between Appa junction and Hi Tech city.

We are very lucky to have such a lovely route in our backyard.
Old 19th April 2012, 13:35   #1160
F50
Senior - BHPian

Yogi and me did our first 50 kms ride last Sunday. It was fun but the probably not the best roads in Mumbai. But it was fun, 60 odd bikers was a good turnout.

On 29th April another 60 kms ride is planned. Hope this has some good roads, the last leg does.

@ bblost - what app is this? (if this is an app) I use Cyclemeter (paid) but don't know how accurate it is. Need to buy a good cyclometer but not costly one. Gloves, lights and cyclo are on priority.
Old 19th April 2012, 13:39   #1161
BHPian

Quote:
Its the elevation profile between Appa junction and Hi Tech city.

We are very lucky to have such a lovely route in our backyard.
Since that is your daily commute, you are even luckier.

From my location, I am not able to figure out any better road to enjoy riding. The city roads are either in bad shape or dusty with heavy vehicle traffic in the early hours.

I think I am in need of an upgrade now, from the humble steel stead. Have to check if I really need one and then which one.
Old 19th April 2012, 13:48   #1162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
@ bblost - what app is this? (if this is an app) I use Cyclemeter (paid) but don't know how accurate it is. Need to buy a good cyclometer but not costly one. Gloves, lights and cyclo are on priority.
For recording your rides, try SportsTracker, which does with most Nokia phone and they also have this app for Android and iPhone. Check out - SportsTracker.com | Sports Tracker. I did spend a lot of money on Garmin Forerunner 405CX, but these days the battery doesn't last more than 5 hours and that's bad. Cannot get this repaired so will use it for short runs and daily commute and for long rides, planning to use SportsTracker on my Nokia E7 and E71.
Old 19th April 2012, 13:53   #1163
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yogi and me did our first 50 kms ride last Sunday. It was fun but the probably not the best roads in Mumbai. But it was fun, 60 odd bikers was a good turnout.

On 29th April another 60 kms ride is planned. Hope this has some good roads, the last leg does.

I use "create map" from dailymile.com
Its like google maps. But also gives the elevation profile.

Quote:
Since that is your daily commute, you are even luckier.

From my location, I am not able to figure out any better road to enjoy riding. The city roads are either in bad shape or dusty with heavy vehicle traffic in the early hours.

I think I am in need of an upgrade now, from the humble steel stead. Have to check if I really need one and then which one.
IF I were to change my bike (Quick 5, Hybrid) today, I will without any doubt buy a road bike.
I strongly feel that given these road conditions, a road bike will be awesome on them.

Last edited by bblost : 19th April 2012 at 13:54.
Old 19th April 2012, 14:14   #1164
BHPian

Quote:
IF I were to change my bike (Quick 5, Hybrid) today, I will without any doubt buy a road bike.
I strongly feel that given these road conditions, a road bike will be awesome on them.
Agree. ORR especially is the best place to use them and I did see once couple of them on ORR - I was driving down to Bangalore. Having said that, also keep in mind that Road Bikes are more prone to flat tyres and I do experience them here in Bangalore. Am planning to get Thule carrier and then will get my bikes to Hyderabad and ride on ORR.
Old 19th April 2012, 14:43   #1165
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
F, try SportsTracker
Quote:
I use "create map" from dailymile.com
Its like google maps. But also gives the elevation profile.
Thanks guys!
SportsTracker needs iOS 4.2 whereas I'm running 4.0

Im using this currently - Cyclemeter 6.0

But started doubting when it once showed 75km/h as my top speed! Hybrid and 75? But on daily basis it show around 40-50 km/h. Distance is pretty accurate, couple tenths here and there. Just doubt about the top speed though.

Done about 190 kms odd in 15 days.
Old 19th April 2012, 15:08   #1166
BHPian

Quote:
But started doubting when it once showed 75km/h as my top speed! Hybrid and 75?
Just have to ignore such spikes as it's quite common with all GPS devices. My Garmin did show over 100 km/h speed, which is a clear and known aberration.

I also have a CatEye Strada Wireless device and it does record accurate data. Use this during my long rides over the weekends.
Old 19th April 2012, 15:20   #1167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Honest suggestion - stay away from the bhajan mandali long rides, unless you ride as much daily.

get BC1609 sigma from USA ($27 there, rs 3100 here).

gloves should be bought asap - even if it is the usual btwin junk.

and pls, a tail light asap - make yourself visible, else you'll only get hit!

Cycling Gyan - Culled from BikesZone & PedalYatri | FreeRiding
Old 19th April 2012, 21:39   #1168
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Honest suggestion - stay away from the bhajan mandali long rides, unless you ride as much daily.

Another question - How often do you guys clean and lube the chain? What do you use as degreaser and lube? How often Hybrids need to be cleaned?

Its a World War creating question. On the day I purchased the bike, I heard 3 different lubes. As and when I met more folks they just kept on adding confusion. Some suggest to use Finishline as lube but its not in stock in whole of Bombay. Another guy says he doesn't clean at all. Once in 4 months!

Don't know what to believe, whom to believe!
Old 20th April 2012, 08:21   #1169
BHPian

Quote:

Another question - How often do you guys clean and lube the chain? What do you use as degreaser and lube? How often Hybrids need to be cleaned?

Its a World War creating question. On the day I purchased the bike, I heard 3 different lubes. As and when I met more folks they just kept on adding confusion. Some suggest to use Finishline as lube but its not in stock in whole of Bombay. Another guy says he doesn't clean at all. Once in 4 months!

Don't know what to believe, whom to believe!
With regards to cleaning, just like car/bike servicing, there isn't a fixed time frame. What I do is keep checking the amount of lube left on the chain and if its dusty, then I give a bath and lube it. Remember, once you apply the lube, you need to clean the excess so that you can avoid dust.

I use simple sewing machine oil and it does work well.
Old 20th April 2012, 09:00   #1170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I use simple sewing machine oil and it does work well.
Patently dangerous advice. Completely disagree. Read on

Quote:

Its a World War creating question. On the day I purchased the bike, I heard 3 different lubes. As and when I met more folks they just kept on adding confusion. Some suggest to use Finishline as lube but its not in stock in whole of Bombay.
BikesZone - Cycling • View topic - Conclusive evidence against Singer oil as a chain lube

I use finishline green (for wet condns, bought for hybrid, using the same). Red is ideal for dry conditions

I think relubing within 300-400km is just fine (depending on visible dust). Some roadies comment that ceramic lube (the white bottle) needs relubing in 60-70km

But lube you must, with a proper oil.

as for ordering, call up the delhi dealers.

Most Viewed