Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2012, 19:46   #1381
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPanda View Post
. I have bronchitis asthma and hence become short breathed pretty soon. .
I know a lot asthamatic folks who run very well. Just remember that Rome wasn't built in a day.

Any cardio activity whether running or biking will take care of your asthma and improve your situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
Congratulations on your mission to get fit and healthy. I personally feel that cycling is better way to loose weight than running as running does impact your knees and whereas cycling doesn't.
The bold part is pure hearsay. I would really like to know how exactly does "Running impact knees". What really impact knees is being overweight.

So my suggestion would be stick to facts rather than spreading porky pies and your personal opinion.

Disclaimer: I ride and bike about 250Km and 50Km per week respectively. So I do know a bit about the two
Old 18th November 2012, 22:33   #1382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

Disclaimer: I ride and bike about 250Km and 50Km per week respectively. So I do know a bit about the two
Commonly available literature says the adverse effect of running on your knees are known after a few years, not immediately. How long have you been subjecting your knees to these distances?

Last edited by WindRide : 18th November 2012 at 22:35.
Old 18th November 2012, 22:54   #1383
BHPian

Hi there, I was 118kg at the age of 24 n I started running ...yes I reduced my weight to 90kg with in 18months; I used run only up to 10km per day/5 days a week n I continued to run till I was 32 n one fine day While my routine jogging I had a pain in my left knee(I used to do 1000 skipping once in a week) then my doctor told that I have arthritis in my left knee due to running for last 7 odd years with my heavy body so I should only bike or walk in order to keep out of the ugly pain. The best part is I stopped everything good but couldn't stop bad things like eating out n partying n now at the age of 36 my weight is 125kg!! With sleep apnea!! Now slowly started biking (I bought cannondayle type 5 mountain bike n put a jelly saddle but the only problem is still it pains badly after riding around 8 to 9 km)
No offence to running..I just told my experience. Regards to all
Old 19th November 2012, 10:14   #1384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I know a lot asthamatic folks who run very well. Just remember that Rome wasn't built in a day.

Any cardio activity whether running or biking will take care of your asthma and improve your situation.

The bold part is pure hearsay. I would really like to know how exactly does "Running impact knees". What really impact knees is being overweight.

So my suggestion would be stick to facts rather than spreading porky pies and your personal opinion.

Running is classified as high-impact activity and runners are prone to injury based on the impact (surface and style) and overuse.

And please talk to any decent orthopedic doctor and they will tell you everything you need to know and I am saying this based on such advice and not hearsay.
Old 19th November 2012, 10:19   #1385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunu AMG View Post
Hi there, I was 118kg at the age of 24 n I started running ...yes I reduced my weight to 90kg with in 18months; I used run only up to 10km per day/5 days a week n I continued to run till I was 32 n one fine day While my routine jogging I had a pain in my left knee(I used to do 1000 skipping once in a week) then my doctor told that I have arthritis in my left knee due to running for last 7 odd years with my heavy body so I should only bike or walk in order to keep out of the ugly pain. The best part is I stopped everything good but couldn't stop bad things like eating out n partying n now at the age of 36 my weight is 125kg!! With sleep apnea!! Now slowly started biking (I bought cannondayle type 5 mountain bike n put a jelly saddle but the only problem is still it pains badly after riding around 8 to 9 km)
No offence to running..I just told my experience. Regards to all
In order to avoid knee pain, try and keep your cadence high (pedaling) and select low gears. Try this and see if that helps.
Old 19th November 2012, 10:20   #1386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Running is classified as high-impact activity and runners are prone to injury based on the impact (surface and style) and overuse.
The keyword here is surface and style. And as Bhanu AMG has already written, you need to reduce your weight also while starting aggressively. And strengthening the knee muscles and the core is very important if you want an injury free running life.

Anyways enough OT here. I see you are from Hyderabad so if you come for any HCC/HBC rides, will catch up and discuss in person

Cheers
Old 19th November 2012, 13:15   #1387
BHPian

Quote:
Cycling is a non impact exercise. Doing only non impact exercise will also cause problems like reduced bone density. A healthy mix of both is what is needed.
Where you run and how you run is also quite important. What is true however is that the human body wasnt designed to do long distance cycling or running, so doing bot with gay abandon will cause issues. However, those issues should be lesser that the issues one will face if one does not indulge in physical exercises.
Old 19th November 2012, 14:24   #1388
BHPian

anyone tried bare feet runing, i run bare feet and its much more efficient and my pains have disappeared over 7 - 8 months. Most of the time running on asphalt/ hard surfaces etc cause this problem, also that in regular shoes we land on heels and not forefoot.
Old 19th November 2012, 17:10   #1389
Senior - BHPian

I am looking forward to Purchase a bicycle for daily use of about 10kms.
Any good one's in 10-15K(max) budget?
Old 19th November 2012, 22:36   #1390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I recently got a Montra Jazza for 17K. Its a hybrid. You can check that out at Track and Trail store in your area
Old 19th November 2012, 23:04   #1391
BHPian

Has any one tried/ own Giant Snap 21S or Montra Rock 1?

I am looking for a MTB budget 16k.
Old 20th November 2012, 06:23   #1392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
See below and montra jazz (their hybrid). Ideally, go to 20k and pickup the mongoose maurice. Fun-ner bikes ne'er hath been imported to India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
Has any one tried/ own Giant Snap 21S or Montra Rock 1?

I am looking for a MTB budget 16k.
Suncross R1 / R2 / Level are what you need. Bit heavier than the regular bikes but HALF their price too!
Old 20th November 2012, 07:49   #1393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
See below and montra jazz (their hybrid). Ideally, go to 20k and pickup the mongoose maurice. Fun-ner bikes ne'er hath been imported to India!

Suncross R1 / R2 / Level are what you need. Bit heavier than the regular bikes but HALF their price too!
I checked Montra Jazz,i want something that looks like a MTB.
Old 20th November 2012, 08:28   #1394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587
I checked Montra Jazz,i want something that looks like a MTB.
Take a look at Montra Rock1 or Giant Snap 21s. Even I am confused with both. As with Suncross I am not able to locate dealer in Bangalore.
Old 20th November 2012, 11:28   #1395
BHPian

Quote:
If you can stretch your budget a little bit more, then you can consider Btwin RR5.2. Its a very good entry level MTB and does a good job.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks