Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2012, 12:35   #1441
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Safety is a BIG concern with fellow motorists having ZERO concerns for the safety of cyclists.
Exactly. When I restarted cycling (around 9 months back), I used to be scared to death by the vehicles just rushing to fill every inch of space in and around me. The scariest ones are the Volvos, they are massive, fast and silent and before you know it there is one just breathing down your neck, trying to cut across you.
But you know what, you get used to this and even learn to adjust to all this madness in time. Thats from my personal experience. Just make sure that you wear a helmet and fit some blinking lights in the front and rear of your bike, especially for evening/night rides.
Old 15th December 2012, 16:31   #1442
BHPian

A Hercules Rodeo A-100 (6 Months Old) is available for sale with my colleague. Planning to buy it. Can someone enlighten on this model.
Old 15th December 2012, 18:34   #1443
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Xtreme View Post
A Hercules Rodeo A-100 (6 Months Old) is available for sale with my colleague. Planning to buy it. Can someone enlighten on this model.
From my limited knowledge - I would say that you should be running away from rear suspension bikes. People have reported backpain and even slip disks from riding bikes with cheap rear suspensions.

If its a temporary measure till you are able to upgrade to a bigger bike - then fine.
Old 15th December 2012, 20:07   #1444
BHPian

Quote:
Avoid. Those cheap rear suspension bikes drain a lot of energy out of your pedaling potential. The energy which is to be used by pedaling is wasted in the compression of the rear spring. Unless you are really just going off road, i would say that you should definitely avoid it. Using a rear suspension bike on road makes pedaling tough, and also thus makes the bike slower on road.

Source - i have 3 bikes, one of which has a full suspension setup.
Old 15th December 2012, 23:30   #1445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post

Avoid. Those cheap rear suspension bikes drain a lot of energy out of your pedaling potential. The energy which is to be used by pedaling is wasted in the compression of the rear spring. Unless you are really just going off road, i would say that you should definitely avoid it. Using a rear suspension bike on road makes pedaling tough, and also thus makes the bike slower on road.

Source - i have 3 bikes, one of which has a full suspension setup.
Thanks buddy. So you say that only hardtail bikes are suitable for daily / weekly road commute? Also can you suggest if I should choose a geared bike or a gearless bike. Back in school days I had a Ranger Swing with 18 gears but since I was a novice, was not able to utilize them efficiently. Now that I want to get a bike basically for fitness and for short commute which would be a beter choice.
Old 16th December 2012, 08:29   #1446
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks buddy. So you say that only hardtail bikes are suitable for daily / weekly road commute? Also can you suggest if I should choose a geared bike or a gearless bike. Back in school days I had a Ranger Swing with 18 gears but since I was a novice, was not able to utilize them efficiently. Now that I want to get a bike basically for fitness and for short commute which would be a beter choice.
If the roads on which you will be riding are plain and smooth, then a bike with no suspension will be quite fast and fun.

But if there are potholes on the roads then a hardtail or a hybrid with front suspension will do the job very well.

Go with a geared bike, it is good for going uphill and downhill. Also on flat roads geared bikes can enable you to adjust your cadence and thus helping you achieve your fitness goal.
Old 17th December 2012, 15:33   #1447
BHPian

I'm 33 and work in a Bank. Have been leading a sedantry life since I left studies in 2004. At 5'7" with weight of 70kgs, I have been declared obese - but I don't feel it.

Anyways I pushed myself around a month back to be a bit more active. I've been brisk walking / jogging (average 3 kms daily, limited by the time available in the morning) for around a month now. But I wanted to increase the reach & explore more of Gurgaon, as well as diversify the activity.

After few days of deliberation, chit chat with couple of cycling enthusiasts in my office and unstructured browsing of this thread, bought a Schwinn Sportera Sport on Saturday evening from Cyclofit. Feels nice to ride a bike after two decades (Yes I gave up cycling fairly early) and Schwinn feels definitely more comortable to ride viz a viz residual memories of Hero Ranger.

Aim to build up cycling stamina over next few months. Let's see how it goes.

Cheers!

Last edited by bloodred : 17th December 2012 at 15:36.
Old 31st December 2012, 14:40   #1448
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Need some suggestion on new cycles for my son. He is years old and wants a new cycle. Used a firefox for 2 years now and has outgrown it.

His driving will be mainly in a park or within the apartment complex.
Old 31st December 2012, 16:18   #1449
BHPian

Bhai ji, from our encounters in Gurgaon meet, I recall that you also live in the same sector as I do.

When are you guys planning for a ride? Would love to join, however the max I've tried to pedal at one go is only 12 kms.

Just sent you a message on Whatsapp.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd January 2013 at 10:07. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 1st January 2013, 12:47   #1450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
Need some suggestion on new cycles for my son. He is years old and wants a new cycle. Used a firefox for 2 years now and has outgrown it.

His driving will be mainly in a park or within the apartment complex.
How old is he? I think you made a typo.
Old 1st January 2013, 14:02   #1451
BHPian

Recently bought a Bad boy 5 lefty for myself for exercise and commute.
Oh Man what a bike it is .....
Old 2nd January 2013, 11:08   #1452
BHPian

Guys, need some advice.
I plan to buy a bike and have thought of this one.
http://www.decathlon.in/MOUNTAIN-BIKES-MY-BIKE-WHITE
my primary usage will be recreational one about 30/40 mins per evening on the road.
I am also targetting weight loss so plan to alternate gymming and biking.
Do let me know if this is a good idea.
Old 2nd January 2013, 11:14   #1453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
Guys, need some advice.
I plan to buy a bike and have thought of this one.
http://www.decathlon.in/MOUNTAIN-BIKES-MY-BIKE-WHITE
my primary usage will be recreational one about 30/40 mins per evening on the road.
I am also targetting weight loss so plan to alternate gymming and biking.
Do let me know if this is a good idea.
Very good idea. But do remember to get the appropriate frame size as can be seen in the pic listed on the link that you posted.
Old 7th January 2013, 20:32   #1454
BHPian

Got me a Decathlon MyBike!

Yup! I'm the proud owner of a White Decathlon MyBike in Size L. Before you flame me for going in for the cheapest (worst?) in line, I must say that I'm trying to get back to cycling and don't want to invest without being sure if I will stick to it. I'm sure this is something most of us are guilty of

I'm guilty of having way too many hobbies (Shooting, Radio Control, Photography, Outdoor Sports etc.) and too little time. So if I go guns blazing and buy me an expensive bike, it'd hurt to see it gather dust.

However, fingers crossed that I get into it. Perhaps then I will upgrade to a proper bike.

On a side note, the bike seems to be very well built for the price (INR 3999). The quality of the frame is good. The wheels are aluminium. I find the bike very light and that's a good thing. I will be changing out the tyres and handlebar. Perhaps get a better saddle too. All in good time though. The aim is to cycle an hour a day. The wife has promised to join me if I keep at it for a month.

Looking forward to hanging out on this post more and learning from you guys!

(I haven't read thru this post yet. Once done, and if there aren't any, I will put up a short review. Feel free to ask questions about the bike if you have any.)

Happy riding!

Tassem.

Last edited by Tassem : 7th January 2013 at 20:54.
Old 7th January 2013, 21:29   #1455
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post

How old is he? I think you made a typo.
Yup. I guess '8' got left out :d.

Got him a Firefox which he has been cycling around for the last week.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks