Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2013, 22:59   #1471
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
Then you need a trek 3500. Its a good bike, very lightweight and trek guarantees the frame for a lifetime if the rider is below or equal to 135 kg.

It costs 25000 but you can get a 10 percent discount. Also there is service support from Firefox.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Check out the KHS range of bicycles. They are VFM and perform good. You get a better deal than Trek components for the same price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjoy3 View Post
Funny to read service support and firefox together. They hardly know beyond the price of the model.
Also, why buy trek when KHS has bikes same spec costing 20-30% less?. Have been riding KHS Alite 300(specs similar to 4300 bought at the price of 3700) for 2+ years with zero issues so far. Decathlon's RR comes next in my preference list.
Quote:
Good for you then. Then why dont call you just buy a bsa/Hercules frame and put super high quality components on it and then it will be awesome and cost 20-30% lower than a KHS?

I am not saying that KHS is bad. In fact it is very very good. But not in the league of trek's frames. You will get better components in other brands in comparison to a trek but you will not get a better frame at the same price. Brands like cannondale and all are even more expensive because of frame and component quality.

Plus trek gives you a lifetime warranty on the frame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Agree. Infact, how many here have had frames bending/breaking. For most, the only question is weight. Its a matter of 4kgs here or there (and a corresponding question of Rs.10-15k). agar paisa he to asman karid lo
Thanks guys I seem to have started off something.

Anyways went in for a BTwin Rock rider 5.3

Started of considering 5.1 checked with you guys for 5.2 and finally went in for 5.3

Tried out Trek 3700d and 4300d and a couple more brands. The Thane Firefox / trek seller did not recommend any thing in Trek below 3700

As he felt the gear components in that segment are not that reliable compared to altius and a era of shimano or sram. I tried out a few module but liked only the Trek 29 inch wheel models priced 33k onwards. Rest of the reliability opinion was of course of the dealer.

Like the fact that Decathlon is less than 2kms from home and the set up is about 100 times bigger than Firefox trek dealer and Hercules BSA dealers.

Also was getting an XL size bike of trek 4300 Range at a much lower price point.

Last edited by ACM : 14th January 2013 at 23:01.
Old 14th January 2013, 23:33   #1472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

Anyways went in for a BTwin Rock rider 5.3

Started of considering 5.1 checked with you guys for 5.2 and finally went in for 5.3

Tried out Trek 3700d and 4300d and a couple more brands. The Thane Firefox / trek seller did not recommend any thing in Trek below 3700

As he felt the gear components in that segment are not that reliable compared to altius and a era of shimano or sram. I tried out a few module but liked only the Trek 29 inch wheel models priced 33k onwards. Rest of the reliability opinion was of course of the dealer.

Like the fact that Decathlon is less than 2kms from home and the set up is about 100 times bigger than Firefox trek dealer and Hercules BSA dealers.

Also was getting an XL size bike of trek 4300 Range at a much lower price point.
You are a decathlon member? Thats cool then. Coz the wholesale rates are very tempting. I thought you were telling me the MSRPs earlier on. Please share the price and some pics. Thanks.
Old 15th January 2013, 08:54   #1473
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You are a decathlon member? Thats cool then. Coz the wholesale rates are very tempting. I thought you were telling me the MSRPs earlier on. Please share the price and some pics. Thanks.
Yep am a Decathlon member.

The onsite pricing can be a bit misleading there is a Rs. 3000 shipping charge + 5/5.5% octroi is applicable for Mumbai/Thane. Shipping charge is I guess lower for Bangalore. Also if say they have XL available at the store yet online they may just have S, M & L - as in my case.

The Rockrider 5.1 2012 is at 15K at the store for members.
The Rockrider 5.2 2012 is at 23K at the store for members
The Rockrider 5.3 2013 is at 33K MSRP on the Online Store would be for about 10% lower for members.
Got the Rockrider 5.3 2011 (white with red and black graphics) which is at MSRP 30K in the Physical Store for about Rs. 24K for members. Accessories were about Rs. 2K further till now and the count will go up by another 2K in a week or two. I didn't like the look of the 5.3 2012 which had an MSRP of 26K but was available for members at the store for 25K.

Specs are: Suntour Lockable Front Suspension, Gears SRAM X5, 27 speed, Mechanical Disks in front and rear 26" Double wall Al Rim. Al 6061 Frame - 1.9kg. Total Bike Wt. 14.5Kgs, Rockrider 8.X series frame Geometry, Wellgo Alloy pedals.

Warranty on Frame is 5 years and 2 years of components. Free Servicing at store for 6 months.

Started off with 15 minutes cycling yesterday and 25 minutes today. Yep the legs and bottom are paining. (Not been really comfortable with a gel seat which my wife appreciated a bit more.)

Snaps to come soon.

Last edited by ACM : 15th January 2013 at 09:09.
Old 15th January 2013, 10:35   #1474
BHPian

Quote:

Yep am a Decathlon member.

The onsite pricing can be a bit misleading there is a Rs. 3000 shipping charge + 5/5.5% octroi is applicable for Mumbai/Thane. Shipping charge is I guess lower for Bangalore. Also if say they have XL available at the store yet online they may just have S, M & L - as in my case.

The Rockrider 5.1 2012 is at 15K at the store for members.
The Rockrider 5.2 2012 is at 23K at the store for members
The Rockrider 5.3 2013 is at 33K MSRP on the Online Store would be for about 10% lower for members.
Got the Rockrider 5.3 2011 (white with red and black graphics) which is at MSRP 30K in the Physical Store for about Rs. 24K for members. Accessories were about Rs. 2K further till now and the count will go up by another 2K in a week or two. I didn't like the look of the 5.3 2012 which had an MSRP of 26K but was available for members at the store for 25K.

Specs are: Suntour Lockable Front Suspension, Gears SRAM X5, 27 speed, Mechanical Disks in front and rear 26" Double wall Al Rim. Al 6061 Frame - 1.9kg. Total Bike Wt. 14.5Kgs, Rockrider 8.X series frame Geometry, Wellgo Alloy pedals.

Warranty on Frame is 5 years and 2 years of components. Free Servicing at store for 6 months.

Started off with 15 minutes cycling yesterday and 25 minutes today. Yep the legs and bottom are paining. (Not been really comfortable with a gel seat which my wife appreciated a bit more.)

Snaps to come soon.
Instead of the gel seat cover, you can buy those padded shorts. You do get them at Decathlon and are fairly well priced. The gel cover is not that comfortable as it moves around a bit.

Also since you are riding for fitness as of now, i recommend that you ride at a lower gear (gears 7-9) whatever is comfortable for you and ride at the smallest (easiest) chain ring. This way your cadence will be higher, you will not get strain in your leg muscles and cycling will be more fun and you will lose fat and develop muscle faster. You can read more about it on the net.

What i do is, i ride on a lower gear like i mentioned above and i average about 20.5-22 kmph over 40 minutes of early morning cycling. I cover about 13-14 kms in that. I have not controlled my diet(hogging all sorts of junk everyday) and yet in last one month, i have lost 2 kgs. I use adidas micoach on a ios/android device to collect speed/elevation/lap times etc. and to track my rides. Works very well. Has a number of sportsperson voices for coaching or speaking out the collected data.
Old 15th January 2013, 11:18   #1475
BHPian

Dont know where else I can post this, so here goes: Do any of you Bangalore and Pune boys know of the doctor riding solo from Bangalore to Pune on his Ladybird?

Here's a linky.

Update as of today: He has departed from Belgaum, enroute to Satara. He will halt there for the night and is expected in Pune at around 2pm tomorrow (16th Jan).

Lets wish the good doctor all the very best!

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 20th January 2013, 22:05   #1476

Thanks all fellow riders here, Thanks for this thread which made me a Cyclist.
19th jan 2013 was a special day for me, i successfully completed the 210km in 13 hours and 7 minutes. The brevet named "Cochin classic BRM200" very fist of its kind in kerala. I completed it with my beloved trek 4300 without any modifications. Here are some pics from the event. Looking forward to buy a road bike. And those who are planning to buy a new bike, go for a nice hybrid unless you have to negotiate really bad terrains.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-rr0.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-rr1.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-rr3.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-rr5.jpg  

Old 21st January 2013, 11:50   #1477
NMS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rust_in_peace View Post
Thanks all fellow riders here, Thanks for this thread which made me a Cyclist.
19th jan 2013 was a special day for me, i successfully completed the 210km in 13 hours and 7 minutes.
Rust_in_Peace: This is a truly awesome achievement. Congratulations !! It takes immense commitment to complete a feat as this, and I am sure there will be many who will take inspiration out of this.
I too have started cycling a couple of months back (and so still a noob ). And I can do around 30 Kms at a stretch. I am planning to increase my stamina to go longer distances.
I would also like to know a few things here:
a.) What were the average distance you were covering per hour? Wanted to know if 13 hours include break times as well.
b.) On a trip as long as this, what can be eaten? How do you manage to avoid dehydration?
Old 21st January 2013, 13:11   #1478
BHPian

Congrats @rust in peace.Well had done the BRM 200 in the month of Nov,did it 12hrs 20mins,the first 100 was a breeze as riding was in the morning time took 4hrs 30 to do that but the return one was a torture in the afternoon sun.

@NMs in a BRM you have to reach specific control points in stipulated time(minimum as well as max time one can take to make it) in our group the first guy finished it in 7hrs & 30mins.One can take as much break as one likes provided he can make it to the control points.
Things to eat & drink 1)A liter of water every hour to prevent cramps 2)Dates are a good source of energy can even get those sports bar chocolates or GU energy gels 3)Atleast a packet or two of electolytes.
Old 21st January 2013, 16:48   #1479
BHPian

Quote:
Thinking of getting myself a btwin Rockrider 5.2 black from Decathlon Thane store very near my home. Costs 23k at the store after 1k discount.

Purpose is exercise and wt loss.

Need a big strong bike considering my 125kgs at 6ft.

Any views / feedback / advice will be appreciated.
...i have a Schwinn Sporterra sport, barely touched, if you are interested.
its in mira road, i am 110 5'10 myself and it rolls like a dream...
Old 21st January 2013, 17:15   #1480
NMS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
@NMs in a BRM you have to reach specific control points in stipulated time(minimum as well as max time one can take to make it) in our group the first guy finished it in 7hrs & 30mins.One can take as much break as one likes provided he can make it to the control points.
Things to eat & drink 1)A liter of water every hour to prevent cramps 2)Dates are a good source of energy can even get those sports bar chocolates or GU energy gels 3)Atleast a packet or two of electolytes.
Thanks Yogi, I will try this out when I am doing a longish ride next time.

Quote:

.............point.
Treks are a damn good deal. Above 3700 and you will love the Ride !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaleelda1 View Post
@ACM If I were you (and considering hybrids), I would seriously be taking a look at Khaleelda1's offer. Schwinn Sporterra Sport is an awesome bike !!
Old 22nd January 2013, 19:09   #1481
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Instead of the gel seat cover, you can buy those padded shorts. You do get them at Decathlon and are fairly well priced. The gel cover is not that comfortable as it moves around a bit.

Also since you are riding for fitness as of now, i recommend that you ride at a lower gear (gears 7-9) whatever is comfortable for you and ride at the smallest (easiest) chain ring. This way your cadence will be higher, you will not get strain in your leg muscles and cycling will be more fun and you will lose fat and develop muscle faster. You can read more about it on the net.

What i do is, i ride on a lower gear like i mentioned above and i average about 20.5-22 kmph over 40 minutes of early morning cycling. I cover about 13-14 kms in that. I have not controlled my diet(hogging all sorts of junk everyday) and yet in last one month, i have lost 2 kgs. I use adidas micoach on a ios/android device to collect speed/elevation/lap times etc. and to track my rides. Works very well. Has a number of sportsperson voices for coaching or speaking out the collected data.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaleelda1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMS View Post
@ACM If I were you (and considering hybrids), I would seriously be taking a look at Khaleelda1's offer. Schwinn Sporterra Sport is an awesome bike !!
Thanks Khaleeda and NMS. Already got myself the Rockrider 5.2. It if performing fine but do need to get used to the initial sore bum and also need to find a way to raise the handle bar a bit more. The adjustment attachments available with decathlon do not fit the oversize bar that the Rockrider has.

Yep M5 got the padded shorts aswell now things are better. Could you help usedstand the gearing bit some more.

Mine is 3 front X 9 Rear Gears. You are suggesting that I ride in A? X B? Gears initially? What would be suggested for mild slopes upward and downward.
Old 22nd January 2013, 19:33   #1482
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks Khaleeda and NMS. Already got myself the Rockrider 5.2. It if performing fine but do need to get used to the initial sore bum and also need to find a way to raise the handle bar a bit more. The adjustment attachments available with decathlon do not fit the oversize bar that the Rockrider has.

Yep M5 got the padded shorts aswell now things are better. Could you help usedstand the gearing bit some more.

Mine is 3 front X 9 Rear Gears. You are suggesting that I ride in A? X B? Gears initially? What would be suggested for mild slopes upward and downward.
A : 1 (smallest chain ring) and B : 7,8 or 9. Whatever you feel comfortable with. The main point is that you do not feel much strain riding the bike on flat surfaces. Accordingly you can decide for upward and downward slopes. For mild downward slopes something like 2X6,7 or 8 would be good. For mild upward slopes you can go for 1 x 5,6 or 7.

PS - this gearing is not meant for speed but for a fitness objective.

You should be averaging around 18-20 kmph with these kind of speeds.
Old 22nd January 2013, 22:24   #1483
BHPian

@ ACM be weary of cross chaining,would not recommend this 1(smallest chain ring) and B: on 9.Google for cross chaining.
Attached Images

Old 22nd January 2013, 23:26   #1484
BHPian

A video explaining the gear ratios
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:44   #1485
NMS
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Khaleeda and NMS.

Quote:
A : 1 (smallest chain ring) and B : 7,8 or 9. Whatever you feel comfortable with. The main point is that you do not feel much strain riding the bike on flat surfaces. Accordingly you can decide for upward and downward slopes. For mild downward slopes something like 2X6,7 or 8 would be good. For mild upward slopes you can go for 1 x 5,6 or 7.

PS - this gearing is not meant for speed but for a fitness objective.

You should be averaging around 18-20 kmph with these kind of speeds.
Welcome to the "Sore Butt Club" A few more and we will out number the Iron Butt Gang !!
On a serious note, the padded shorts do help quite a bit. For the gearing, Yogi and M5 have covered most of the information. I follow the simple logic of riding in a gear that offers slightly higher resistance than the gear I am comfortable with. Say if i was comfortable doing a certain slope on 2x6, next time I would go in for a slightly higher gear. Same on the flat surfaces as well. Gradually increase the resistance. Try to quantify the efforts in terms of time, speed and distance basis.

I use the Strava app on my phone (suggested by Bblost), it helps record daily stats pretty well. So you can increase your targets gradually.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks