Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2013, 20:08   #1486
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Thanks Yogi , M5 Fan and NMS

Am mostly doing 2X4,5,6 at most times. Yep the Decathlon guys explained the problems with cross chaining and suggested 1X1,2,3,4 or 2X4,5,6 or 3X7,8,9 to keep the chain in a straightline.

Taking things one step at a time.
Old 27th January 2013, 13:01   #1487

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
Congrats @rust in peace.Well had done the BRM 200 in the month of Nov,did it 12hrs 20mins,the first 100 was a breeze as riding was in the morning time took 4hrs 30 to do that but the return one was a torture in the afternoon sun.

@NMs in a BRM you have to reach specific control points in stipulated time(minimum as well as max time one can take to make it) in our group the first guy finished it in 7hrs & 30mins.One can take as much break as one likes provided he can make it to the control points.
Things to eat & drink 1)A liter of water every hour to prevent cramps 2)Dates are a good source of energy can even get those sports bar chocolates or GU energy gels 3)Atleast a packet or two of electolytes.
Thanks every one, The average speed through out my ride was 16 km/h. And as said above the key point is to take short breaks, drink enough water to keep away cramps, chocolates, dryfruits & gatorade are good choices. To do 200 BRM do a couple of century rides, prepare well the day before. If you have a hybrid or road bike it will be better. When i started cycling two years back i never thought i could go beyond 20kms on a cycle. But cycling changed my life style. From 98kg now i weigh only 82kg. Looking forward to participate on upcoming brevets. Have ordered a roadie FUJI Sportif 1.5c. Waiting for my new tarmac burner to arrive!
Once again folks IMHO those who are looking forward to put down some weight and build endurance stamina cycling is the best option.
Old 31st January 2013, 22:58   #1488
BHPian

Need advice from the Biking gurus here... A couple of months back I'd bought a Cannondale Caad 8-6 Tiagra from a popular bike shop here in Chennai. I liked the bike because it had very robust looking tires (vis-à-vis the really thin ones typically seen on road bikes), but mostly because it had a great paint scheme I did not take delivery at the time of purchase because of work-related travel & also because I wanted the components on the bike to be upgraded from Tiagra to 105. In the time that it took the bike shop to procure the 105 components (~ a month), I've been browsing on the subject & I understand that the bike I'd bought is what's called a "Cyclo-cross" (hence the tires) - it appears I'd be better off with a proper road-bike. Since I haven't taken delivery of the bike yet, the bike shop has graciously agreed to let me get a different bike (than the one I'd bought) & the owner of the bike shop has suggested the following models...

The Bicycles thread-which_bicycle_1.png

I'm confused (actually ignorant) regarding the specifications of these bikes. The Caad 8-5 appears to have the same basic components as the Bianchi-105 & not withstanding the fact that the front derailleur on the Bianchi is a Tiagra while the one on the Cannondale is 105, the Bianchi 105 is ~ 25 K more expensive than the Caad 8-5. So the question is, do the rest of the components on the Bianchi justify the extra 25 K ? Also, could somebody help me with the differences between the 105 & the Ultegra ? As a recreational user, would I be able to tell the 105 & the Ultegra apart (the Bianchi Ultegra is a further 25 K on the 105) !

Last edited by im_srini : 31st January 2013 at 23:03.
Old 1st February 2013, 11:00   #1489
BHPian

Think the Cannondale Caad 8-5 is the best bet,google for reviews though the reviews are for a different group set(tiagra) but same frame.105 is more than enough for a recreational user.
Old 3rd February 2013, 22:52   #1490
Senior - BHPian

I'm planning to get one for me and one for my kid. I'd love to cycle to a work on everyday basis but not sure if I will be able to do so in Bangalore traffic on everyday/regular basis, my work is about 10-11 kms away from home and I think its doable, except that I'm concerned about pollution on the roads. Even if I succeed and can cycle to work a few months a year, I will be happy and would help me control the weight.
I may use it for recreational purpose during weekends or in the evenings inside the layout.
Can you guys please suggest me what bike to start with? I can stretch my budget to bTwin RR range, can someone tell me why Trek below 3700 is not a good option?
Planning to visit Decathlon tomorrow to check out bTwin while its just about 2.5 kms from my place.
Thank you.
Old 4th February 2013, 12:12   #1491
Team-BHP Support

Woke up a little early.
For breakfast ate 2 bread slices coated with choco spread and 2 slices with pickle. Also had a glass of pineapple juice.

Was able to leave home at 9:30 AM.
Decided to take a slightly longer route.

I live close to Appa Junction on the Hyderabad ORR. So rode on towards Tipu Bridge and then climbed up the Golconda. Was a nice ride in the morning with less traffic but there are a lot of irritating speed breakers

Joined the Gachibowli road near Shaikpet and started the climb on Narne Road.
5 Minutes into the climb was too tired to continue.
Reminder to self: KEEP SOME WATER.
Started again at 8 Minutes and completed the climb at 10 Minutes.

Continued to ride towards office. But I was beginning to feel tired.
Close to Cyber Towers was tired enough to get off my cycle and rest on the platform in front of the Wipro office.
Reminder to self: KEEP SOME SUGAR WATER.

After chilling on the road for a few minutes started cycling slowly.
In 2011 when I had started cycling the climb at Deloitte Drive used to be a big one.
Today in my famished condition with more than 22 kms on the road in heavy traffic, I crossed it without even bothering to fidget with my gears.
The ease with which I climbed that made me so happy that by the time I entered my office gates, I was back to 100%.
Old 4th February 2013, 15:30   #1492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I'm planning to get one for me and one for my kid. I'd love to cycle to a work on everyday basis but not sure if I will be able to do so in Bangalore traffic on everyday/regular basis, my work is about 10-11 kms away from home and I think its doable, except that I'm concerned about pollution on the roads. Even if I succeed and can cycle to work a few months a year, I will be happy and would help me control the weight.
I may use it for recreational purpose during weekends or in the evenings inside the layout.
Can you guys please suggest me what bike to start with? I can stretch my budget to bTwin RR range, can someone tell me why Trek below 3700 is not a good option?
Planning to visit Decathlon tomorrow to check out bTwin while its just about 2.5 kms from my place.
Thank you.
Who said a trek below 3700 is not a good option?

I have 3 bikes, one of them is a 3500, its a very good bike. The components (derailleurs) could've been better but then its a trek and it is below 25k and it has fantastic ride and handling and is very very lightweight.
Old 5th February 2013, 18:02   #1493
BHPian

Need suggestions for a hybrid bicycle

I currently use a Hercules WOW to commute to work (12 kms each way). Being 6'1", I find the bicycle slightly uncomfortable in the seating position and in-efficient to ride as I feel that there is a quite bit of bouncing created by the rear suspension (I could be totally wrong on this one).
I need some guidance in buying a new hybrid bicycle in the budget of 25K. Also, for almost 90% use on tarred roads, does it make sense to go in for a bicycle with the front suspension? Any suggestions on what other factors/criteria I should be looking at in a bicycle would be very helpful.
Old 6th February 2013, 20:39   #1494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishab View Post
I currently use a Hercules WOW to commute to work (12 kms each way). Being 6'1", I find the bicycle slightly uncomfortable in the seating position and in-efficient to ride as I feel that there is a quite bit of bouncing created by the rear suspension (I could be totally wrong on this one).
I need some guidance in buying a new hybrid bicycle in the budget of 25K. Also, for almost 90% use on tarred roads, does it make sense to go in for a bicycle with the front suspension? Any suggestions on what other factors/criteria I should be looking at in a bicycle would be very helpful.
Yes, you would need a bike with just a front suspension and no rear suspension (hardtail bike). I would suggest you to look at the trek 3500, rockrider 5.2. I am a couple of inches taller than you and i find the trek 3500 very comfortable.
Old 7th February 2013, 12:38   #1495
BHPian

Re: Need suggestions for a hybrid bicycle

@girishab you don't need a front suspension at all if you are riding on tarred roads provided the roads are not filled with potholes,do remember that bikes with suspension are heavier and also some pedaling energy is also lost.I have been riding a hybrid with rigid forks for the past one year with no trouble whatsoever on Mumbai roads and I believe Bangalore roads are any day better.Try to increase your budget by 3k u get better cycles in that range having better groupset like the trek 7.1 or if you can find a Fuji absolute 2.1 which has(Front derailleur:Shimano Altus and Rear derailleur:Shimano Alivio) real vfm for 28k.

Last edited by yogi1771 : 7th February 2013 at 12:42.
Old 8th February 2013, 15:27   #1496
Senior - BHPian

Its second day for me, 'cycle to work' is fun! I'm enjoying it fully if I don't consider a bit of pollution + traffic issues here.

I started on Wednesday, also the work out day for me and took one day rest yesterday and back to the bike to work today again. Not complete but a part of the feeling that I got after quick weekend trekking events

My route and time is not that bad, I start at around 6.30am (~11kms one way) but return journey is during rush hours (around 6.30) but I can take alternate road (which is filled with potholes) that doesn't have much traffic or pollution. I'll be happy if I can continue this twice a week + bit of cycling during weekends. I'm loving it.

@Girish, you can lock the front suspension with most of the bikes while you're riding smooth surface (if you are sure you are not going to ride bad surface, road bike is a better choice) and activate it back again over bad surface.

Last edited by Ketan : 8th February 2013 at 15:47.
Old 11th February 2013, 10:34   #1497
BHPian

Out goes the Scott Sporster60 and the new one comes in the Scott Speedster 40
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-20120313_234616.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-20130210_180128.jpg  

Old 11th February 2013, 15:39   #1498
BANNED

Quote:
Congrats.

Are those bike saddles correctly set for you legs? Both look rather low, and the new bike has it's saddle tilting down [or looks that way at least].
Old 11th February 2013, 15:54   #1499
BHPian

Thanks,well the Sporster60 photo was taken before I had set it up properly,the speedster40 has been properly setup.The saddle is straight,think the design makes it look tilted or the angle at which the photo was taken .
Old 11th February 2013, 16:29   #1500
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on the purchase. Beautiful bike indeed. Please share the price.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks