Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2013, 11:43   #1456
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

My son (3 year old) was promised a bicycle by Santa this Christmas, and he got one too. Of course, 'cycle store waale uncle' played kalyug's Santa and charged for the bike

While at the store, out of curiosity, I enquired whether my old bicycle, a Hero Octane - bought some years ago, gathering dust and rusting in open since last 2.5 years - could be fixed. Upon getting an affirmative response, next day bike was delivered at the store for restoration and on Friday, the week before, it was ready for pickup.

Between then and now, have been cycling 11-12 kms daily (except for a gap of 2 days) to build stamina. And I must say, it has been an awesome experience to be on 2 wheels again!

Restoration also called for getting some accessories - head and tail lights, bike computer, water bottle, a bicycle tring tring and a reflective vest. Contemplating on getting a helmet too pretty soon along with saddle upgrade.

More important reason of me getting on the bike once again was - my brisk walking schedule of a few months (6 kms in 50 minutes) went topsy turvy on account of a knee condition. Doctor had advised to abstain from walking and rather perform cycling. And here we are..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred View Post
When are you guys planning for a ride? Would love to join, however the max I've tried to pedal at one go is only 12 kms.
Mate - somehow I have an impression that you are based in the vicinity of South City - II. If yes, we can hook up and motivate each other. I usually ride during 4-5 p.m. or 6.30-7.30 p.m. slot.
Old 8th January 2013, 19:57   #1457
BHPian

Ordered a Zero Bhp yesterday 2013 Fuji Sportif 1.3c Yesterday. Eagerly waiting for it to be delivered. Brief Specs

2013 Sora Shifters,
Tiagra RD
2 x 9 (Sram PG 950 11-32 T Cassette), 50/34 Compact Crank
lot of Oval components

Will post pics of the bike once I receive it. In the meantime pic from the site.
The Bicycles thread-2013_fuji_sportif_1_3_c.jpg

Last edited by indian21r : 8th January 2013 at 20:05.
Old 8th January 2013, 20:53   #1458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Ordered a Zero Bhp yesterday 2013 Fuji Sportif 1.3c Yesterday. Eagerly waiting for it to be delivered. Brief Specs

2013 Sora Shifters,
Tiagra RD
2 x 9 (Sram PG 950 11-32 T Cassette), 50/34 Compact Crank
lot of Oval components

Will post pics of the bike once I receive it. In the meantime pic from the site.
Attachment 1035720

Looks great.

Can you also share the price and the source please?
Old 10th January 2013, 08:25   #1459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikatmandal04 View Post

Can you also share the price and the source please?
Its around the 50K mark IIRC and is available in Hyderabad too.

Its comparable to Trek 1.5
Old 10th January 2013, 13:47   #1460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Its around the 50K mark IIRC and is available in Hyderabad too.

Its comparable to Trek 1.5
Yes. Thanks for the info. Got the complete details about this bike from Indian21r. More about this bike can be found in the hyperlink below.

Link : http://www.ivoryedge.com/ProdctWatch.../segsbct100057
Old 10th January 2013, 17:40   #1461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post

Mate - somehow I have an impression that you are based in the vicinity of South City - II. If yes, we can hook up and motivate each other. I usually ride during 4-5 p.m. or 6.30-7.30 p.m. slot.
I'm in Sec 56, so not way off from South City II.

I usually ride early in the morning (ok, use to before it became bone chilling) as I'm typically back from work by 8 pm only. Also, its relatively calm in the morning and I presume much safer with minimal traffic around. Anyways, let's catch up for a ride over the weekend. Will PM my contact details separately.

Last edited by bloodred : 10th January 2013 at 17:41.
Old 10th January 2013, 19:12   #1462
Senior - BHPian

Tandem cycle race for couples in Hyderabad

Hyderabad bicycling club is conducting a Tandem cycle (couple cycle) race for couples in Hyderabad.

Event is held at HBC bikestation in Necklace road, Opp Sanjeeviah Park. Timing is Sunday 13th January 2012 7am to 9am.

The race is open to couples and kids below 12 years. HBC will be providing the bikes & helmets.

There is an entry fee of Rs.100 for couple and Rs.25 for kids.

I invite all the TBHP members in Hyd to come with your wives, girl friends and have fun revving up your own engines (legs).

Mods: Please delete this thread if this doesn't satisfy board rules.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-740548_10200233774588323_1955145125_o.jpg  

Last edited by satish_appasani : 10th January 2013 at 19:13.
Old 10th January 2013, 19:24   #1463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred View Post
I'm in Sec 56, so not way off from South City II.

I usually ride early in the morning (ok, use to before it became bone chilling) as I'm typically back from work by 8 pm only. Also, its relatively calm in the morning and I presume much safer with minimal traffic around. Anyways, let's catch up for a ride over the weekend. Will PM my contact details separately.
Aah.. then we are closer than we thought since I am in 57

I have never ever been an early bird and therefore, mornings always have been the busiest part of the day because of much to do in soooooo less a time

What you have said about traffic is true to a great extent. In order to avoid traffic, I prefer 4-5 p.m. slot since the traffic is not as crazy as it usually is later in the evening.

Nonetheless, let's catch up offline for weekend rides together.
Old 13th January 2013, 16:42   #1464
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Thinking of getting myself a btwin Rockrider 5.2 black from Decathlon Thane store very near my home. Costs 23k at the store after 1k discount.

Purpose is exercise and wt loss.

Need a big strong bike considering my 125kgs at 6ft.

Any views / feedback / advice will be appreciated.
Old 13th January 2013, 20:19   #1465
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks,
Thought I'd share this here based on my recent experience, not sure if it's at all useful to anyone, sharing here for what it's worth.
Recently bought a bicycle for my daughter and was planning on getting a cycle pump as well but before that wanted to check if I can use my car inflator (I have the Slime inflator that runs on 12V car outlet). My first attempt at directly trying to inflate the cycle tyre failed since the connector is bigger than the diameter of the cycle's valve stem.
This set me on reading up in the online world and I found that automobile tyres usually have the Shrader valve fitted on them whereas bicycles have Presta valves in the US and Woods/Dunlop valves in UK/Europe and Asia. So the cycle that we have has the Woods valve. Thankfully there is a simple adaptor (Shrader to Presta/Woods) available in most cycle shops and costs about Rs.15-30 which should do the trick (the Presta and Woods valves are of same diameter too so same adaptor works for both).
I found this with a bicycle dealer in Bangalore for Rs.30 (made of Brass) and this does the trick so I can now use the Car tyre inflator to inflate the bicyle tyres.

Last edited by NPV : 13th January 2013 at 20:26.
Old 13th January 2013, 21:32   #1466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Thinking of getting myself a btwin Rockrider 5.2 black from Decathlon Thane store very near my home. Costs 23k at the store after 1k discount.

Then you need a trek 3500. Its a good bike, very lightweight and trek guarantees the frame for a lifetime if the rider is below or equal to 135 kg.

It costs 25000 but you can get a 10 percent discount. Also there is service support from Firefox.

Get that, you will never repent it. Tge only downside is that it has v brakes and not disc brakes. But since you shall be riding on road then you dont actually need discs

I have 3 bikes including a trek 3500
Old 14th January 2013, 11:47   #1467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

Check out the KHS range of bicycles. They are VFM and perform good. You get a better deal than Trek components for the same price.
Old 14th January 2013, 15:06   #1468
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
Then you need a trek 3500. Its a good bike, very lightweight and trek guarantees the frame for a lifetime if the rider is below or equal to 135 kg.

It costs 25000 but you can get a 10 percent discount. Also there is service support from Firefox.

Get that, you will never repent it. Tge only downside is that it has v brakes and not disc brakes. But since you shall be riding on road then you dont actually need discs

I have 3 bikes including a trek 3500
Funny to read service support and firefox together. They hardly know beyond the price of the model.
Also, why buy trek when KHS has bikes same spec costing 20-30% less?. Have been riding KHS Alite 300(specs similar to 4300 bought at the price of 3700) for 2+ years with zero issues so far. Decathlon's RR comes next in my preference list.
Also, do not agree with frequent recommendations to buy only the brand(and that too a MTB) which has service support in your town.
Never felt need of disk brakes for any of my bikes. Just my opinion.

Vijay
Old 14th January 2013, 18:01   #1469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjoy3 View Post
Funny to read service support and firefox together. They hardly know beyond the price of the model.
Also, why buy trek when KHS has bikes same spec costing 20-30% less?. Have been riding KHS Alite 300(specs similar to 4300 bought at the price of 3700) for 2+ years with zero issues so far. Decathlon's RR comes next in my preference list.
Also, do not agree with frequent recommendations to buy only the brand(and that too a MTB) which has service support in your town.

Vijay
Good for you then. Then why dont call you just buy a bsa/Hercules frame and put super high quality components on it and then it will be awesome and cost 20-30% lower than a KHS?

I am not saying that KHS is bad. In fact it is very very good. But not in the league of trek's frames. You will get better components in other brands in comparison to a trek but you will not get a better frame at the same price. Brands like cannondale and all are even more expensive because of frame and component quality.

Plus trek gives you a lifetime warranty on the frame. Also the trek 3500 is the best selling hardtail in the world despite the higher price.
Old 14th January 2013, 18:14   #1470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjoy3 View Post

Vijay
Agree. Infact, how many here have had frames bending/breaking. For most, the only question is weight. Its a matter of 4kgs here or there (and a corresponding question of Rs.10-15k). agar paisa he to asman karid lo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks