Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2016, 15:37   #2956
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Slightly OT - Planning to give away a Schwinn Frontier Comp - 2011 model L frame. Purchased in Aug 2011 for my wife but hardly used and was last serviced in end of 2013. Bike has been stored indoors and hence no rust and frame has a couple of small scratches. Everything else is in working condition. Also planning to give away complete set of accessories - helmet, gloves,tubes & saddle bag. What could be the expected resale value?
Old 4th January 2016, 16:19   #2957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Whatever dude, peddle happy!Jeroen
Will do... though it's getting mighty chilly up here these days (the Dutch photos I'm just now seeing should certainly inspire); Did get my own new rear tyre on, and interested to see how this Rs170 Chandni-Chowk nylon-belted "BEDROCK" ISI-special holds up vs. the Merida originals, or the Rs950 Kendas locally available... I am not initially very hopeful, in view of cracks already developing in the side-walls (prior to a first trial even - ooops...). This may end up being snow-tested, in light of this week's local Himalayan weather predictions... I'm sure they're not going to work as well as those studs/siping/special compound, at least on ice... I was looking for something with a prominent center portion to (theoretically) help speed (reducved rolling resistance) on-road, while still having some lugs on the sides for extra grip in the deeper mud/snow/dirt. Let's see how it works in practice. I'd expect them to be thoroughly useless on ice.

Hoping you might've actually read / considered what you responded to a little lightly above... it is not really quite as OT as it may seem, nor, sincerely, is it insignificant to any of us humans, whether we pedal (or even peddle), walk, drive, or crawl... Not imagining that you'd be interested in continuing off-forum, but that's an option...

-Eric

The Bicycles thread-p1040873.jpg

Last edited by ringoism : 4th January 2016 at 16:29.
Old 4th January 2016, 22:14   #2958
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Hoping you might've actually read / considered what you responded to a little lightly above... it is not really quite as OT as it may seem, nor, sincerely, is it insignificant to any of us humans, whether we pedal (or even peddle), walk, drive, or crawl... Not imagining that you'd be interested in continuing off-forum, but that's an option...

Spelled correctly and entirely appropriate in the context of your posts, but, apparently, not everybody gets it. Not to worry, keep it coming!

Jeroen
Old 7th January 2016, 12:56   #2959
BHPian

Its been more than a month since I started using my Decathlon BTWin MyBike 7s for my daily commute of around 12 kms. Would love to post a review soon.

I was not confident of continuing it in the beginning and also I was discouraged by many people around my workplace for using cycle for daily commute. That's the reason I went for a minimum budget. But now I realise I should have spent more and got more gears. I am so happy with my cycle that my day starts with a smile after my daily ride. Wanted to post a pic of my cycle but will post it in next time.

Now slowly I am turning into a full time cyclist. I don't even think about distances and time nowadays if I want to go anywhere in the city alone. And I am enjoying every bit of it. I guess cycling really gives you a freedom. As a child I always loved cycling but I never got cycle of my choice! My father always had different choices. When I wanted to by BSA Street Cat I got Hero Ranger and when I wanted to buy BSA SLR I got Speed King (It was only option in CSD)!

I feel to upgrade my cycle whenever I visit De Cathalon. But I guess it will be too early to change it. looking forward to read more such experiences from cyclists on this forum
Old 11th January 2016, 17:21   #2960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spelled correctly and entirely appropriate in the context of your posts... Not to worry, keep it coming! Jeroen
Sorry to have missed the wordplay, and thanks for the encouragement; I'll continue, as far as the forum is concerned, to peddle (whether there be buyers or not) whenever / whatever seems appropriate .

Very likely many others in my (our?) situation (i.e., world-traveled long-time ex-pat residents) would not have analyzed hobbies (i.e., our pedaling machines), happiness, and "world peace" (or the lack thereof) using quite the same set of "tools" as I have;

BUT most of us who've lived and moved extensively in different cultures have eventually had some, eh, 'uncomfortable' (status-quo/presupposition- threatening) thoughts forced upon us; And then we, with the philosophers, saints and powers-that-be, must decide (in light of the fact that we can't exactly "fix" anything), whether to ceaselessly wrestle with them or to try and ignore/deny/bury them. Neither option is actually easy, but it is not an arbitrary choice, because they will lead us, personally and collectively, to completely different places.

Now, more immediately, why is it that despite the surprisingly decent weather this week and the fitness of the machine, I can't seem to get my pre-owned Merida out for the ride - and exercise - I know I need... (Hmmmm... see above???)?

Kind Regards,
-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 11th January 2016 at 17:28.
Old 11th January 2016, 17:48   #2961
Distinguished - BHPian

I have just spend some time back in the Netherlands and I was hoping to do some nice cycling tours. Weather was atrocious. Other then a few short trips I did not get very far. But at least I managed to take most of my bicycle apart and give it a very thorough cleaning job. Although I love to cycle, I do like to clean, maintain and adjust where needed my bicycle too.
Jeroen
Old 14th January 2016, 23:37   #2962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
As far as "doing things well" goes (whether adjusting a derailleur or setting a new personal record for my ride to town and back, or laying out a smooth fillet weld): I simply don't live for the expectations of other people. This, far from boredom, makes me wonderfully FREE to pursue excellence and to see its intrinsic value; Whether people will recognize/appreciate that or not doesn't really matter - there is something touching the divine there, and thus a satisfaction that transcends everything else.
Really well said! I am quite on the same page. Not very common to see people really 'thinking' and trying to see/make sense of the big picture.

I couldn't find the thanks button! Where has it disappeared?

By the way, I finally ordered a Btwin My Bike. The single gear version. That's because I might get bored/ be made fun of by friends and family; and not use the cycle. If I do sustain it for over a couple months I might get a better one. Any reviews of the Btwin Nework3? It's on sale for ~11k and looked good.

Last edited by aah78 : 24th September 2019 at 21:04. Reason: Typos, readability.
Old 20th January 2016, 02:51   #2963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I came across something I had not seen before. Winter tires for your bicycle! They have tires made of special compound, advised for temperatures below 7oC for better grip. And they have these, studded tires!! Never seen these before.
I have seen quite a few people using the same here in Sweden. My friend, uses the winter tyre with studs only for front tyre, he said it works well for him. Its been a harsh winter here, the other day I cycled around 7 Kms in -22C weather. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, its manageable, if you have the correct clothing.
Old 27th January 2016, 17:31   #2964
Distinguished - BHPian

The Dutch are at it again! Novelty in bicycling, bicycle paths made of recycled wood. Have to go and try it out next time Im visiting home

http://www.citylab.com/design/2016/0...ontmij/425040/
Old 27th January 2016, 22:11   #2965
BHPian

I had acquired a gear-less bicycle few years back for my wife. She hardly used it, it was kept in the parking lot. Last weekend I have cleaned & greased it and started riding it. I don't want to invest in a brand new bicycle right now. Is it possible to retro-fit gears in the single speed bicycle?If so, any workshop near Marathalli ?
Old 31st January 2016, 16:57   #2966
Distinguished - BHPian

Got back on my Trek after nearly 6 months, during which I was running (did the Delhi and Mumbai half marathons). Feels good to be cycling again. You realise that the muscles you use while cycling are not the same as those for running - was full of aches after the first day (when I did 25 km), and am a bit of a wreck today (after a 40 km spin). Met a group of cyclists from Juhu who had pedalled all the way to town, and were going to complete a 100 km spin via Thane, Ghodbunder Road and Dahisar before heading home. Have a long way to go before I get there. Guess will have to cycle at least 2 days a week till the monsoons start if I want to progress beyond the 45 km Mark (which is the most I have done).
Old 1st February 2016, 14:15   #2967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
I don't want to invest in a brand new bicycle right now. Is it possible to retro-fit gears in the single speed bicycle?If so, any workshop near Marathalli ?
It is possible to fit gears to a gear less bicycle. My friend just got it fit to his 20 year old cycle.
Who in your area can install, I am not sure. He had checked with a cycle repair shop who agreed to fit them.
My fried himself sourced the parts and handed it to him.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 1st February 2016 at 14:44.
Old 2nd February 2016, 04:00   #2968
Senior - BHPian

Mechanical doping, its been a myth for long, not anymore. An app for tablet has been developed by UCI to find the motor concealed in the cycle stem.

200 - 250 W of power, even for small burst say 5-10 minutes will be quite handy during hill climb or break away sprints.
Old 2nd February 2016, 06:53   #2969
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
An app for tablet has been developed by UCI to find the motor concealed in the cycle stem.

200 - 250 W of power, even for small burst say 5-10 minutes will be quite handy during hill climb or break away sprints.

Incredible. The obsession with winning at all costs must have some limits. I agree with the hosts that a lifetime ban is well deserved here - for anyone who knew (or should have known) that this was happening.
Old 2nd February 2016, 21:38   #2970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
You realise that the muscles you use while cycling are not the same as those for running - was full of aches after the first day (when I did 25 km), and am a bit of a wreck today (after a 40 km spin).
For me it was other way around .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
LOL , I thought I had improved my stamina quite a lot after more than 1000Kms of cycling this year. So when my friend asked me whether I am interested in trekking for 25Kms through the woods, I thought to myself, "How hard can it be?"

Answer is, quite hard. I never ran out of breath during the 5:00 hour climb. But my knees became sore.
Like this, https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater

Anyways, I will definitely go for future treks. This was a good experience .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks