Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2015, 21:07   #2896
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
For the budget in question, it is the Montra Blues that comes to mind.

And yeah, you may want to install rim lining, so as to make the tires more puncture resistant.
Thanks a lot. Will take a look immediately. will let all know about the decision once I go back home after two weeks.

Last edited by aah78 : 24th September 2019 at 20:44. Reason: Typos fixed.
Old 21st November 2015, 03:41   #2897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Had a fall today on my way home. Me and bike both are doing fine.

Nothing serious but I bruised the skin on the knee. This is going to be painful tomorrow morning.

The best part is I don't remember how I fell down!! All I remember is slowing down to stop at a traffic light. No one in vicinity as all the vehicles near me had raced thru on Amber.. And bam just fell down at almost zero speed.
Happy to hear that you are okay.

The next day after the fall is the most painful. I still remember how hard it was the day after I had a fall from the bike. It was difficult for me to even stand up properly.Here is my post on the accident

Winter has started here in Sweden, lot of black ice on the road lately. Have to be careful. Been busy with work, so cycling has taken a back step.
Old 21st November 2015, 05:08   #2898
Distinguished - BHPian

Falling of your bicycle can be a very painful affair. In all my years of riding I have only had two serious falls. Both happened during our years in Kansas City. First time was my own fault. I was going down a hill and basically lost it at the bottom of the hill where there was a bend in the road. Summersaulted into the bushes, landed very badly on my shoulder. Ended up in the Emergency room where they concluded I had given myself a shoulder separation. Very painful, looks very odd. My bike was fine.

Second time was on Main Street in Kansas City on Sunday early morning. I was waiting at a red traffic light. Next thing I remember was waking up in an ambulance on my way to the Emergency department. No idea what happened, but I believe I got whacked of my bike by the mirror of a big pick up truck or so. Bit of a concussion and a huge cash in my skull that took some 10-12 stitches to fix. Bike was fine.

Both times I had to fly to Stockholm on a business trip the next trip. When asking the doctors whether I could travel they told me, of course you can travel, it will be very stupid, but sure you can travel.

What they were most surprised about is was the fact I wasn't wearing a helmet. All the doctors and nurses kept asking me if I had been wearing a helmet and they all went OMG when I said no, I'm Dutch, we don't wear helmets when we go for a spin on our bicycle. Both times it took some 4-5 hours before I got discharged from the ER and in both cases they gave me a stack of brochures on wearing cycle helmets. And in both cases there was a hefty bill. I seem to recall the second incident including the ambulance cost well over $4000,--, luckily all paid for by the insurance company.

Jeroen
Old 21st November 2015, 05:16   #2899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I said no, I'm Dutch, we don't wear helmets when we go for a spin on our bicycle.
I always wear my helmet even if the ride is only a kilometer long. Most of the Swedes here wear helmet, especially the older folks.
Old 21st November 2015, 19:07   #2900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
What is the price of the above cycle? and how do you rate its quality? I found Scott cycles to be heavier than Trek cycles. I checked the Aspect 650 and 670.
I did not check any Trek bike. I had to decide between the Merida Big Nine 40MD and Scott Aspect 950. Both rode fabulously and were bang for the buck. In the end, chose the Scott because of the VFM factor! Maybe looks did play a part.
The quality is top notch and it is a head turner for sure. I ride with a group of 40 people and most of them were impressed by it. I got this for 33K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
Wow, she looks hot. Where did you buy this from and in what size? What was the total cost of ownership.
Thanks!
I got this from The Bike Shop in Yusuf Sarai market, New Delhi. The size is L and suits me just fine. I am 6'2.
This baby set me back by INR 33K. This money was saved for my Polo's alloy wheels. Ending up with entirely different set of wheels

Last edited by khan_sultan : 20th March 2019 at 09:14. Reason: line spacing
Old 21st November 2015, 19:45   #2901
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddu View Post
Guys, upgraded from a Rockrider 5.0 to a Scott Aspect 950. ....
Funny nick bro - but beautiful bike. Pretty neat! Now ride it hard this weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Guys how are Montra bikes? Looking at the 650B HD priced at 45k. .....
Montra = good VFM. Except you buy the piece in front of you and forget about other stuff like Fintail said. Like many indian brands, they're lazy in dotting the Is and crossing the Ts! If the piece is good - buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SX4LOVER View Post
....All xperts kindly advise. i lik the firefox and trek range, feel good abt hercules too. did my cycling trip on a hercules though but dont remmber the model. had a lot of problems with it. shoot away guys.
Any firefox/montra/RR300 is good enough. Check this link out for the set: http://www.bikeszone.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=3&t=17412 (RR340 is now discontinued)

You basically want a decent MTB - RR would be good if you can Order online. Else buy from the nearest Firefox/montra dealer. Not much to worry -just make sure the particular piece you buy was well stored and not mishandled.

two more brands that are a bit on the heavier side but are otherwise decent VFM are SunCross http://suncrossbikes.com/bike_detail...d=2&skip_brand (Surge)
and LaSovereign.

Surge looks interesting (I've not it seen in person yet but many friends ride older Suncross' bikes) - it has mechanical lock out of the front fork, that should be super useful in long rolling climbs.

Reg sizing - http://freerider.in/drupal/General/Cycling-Gyan#FitQn can help. Check kumar2007's posts from the earlier pages as well.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 20th March 2019 at 09:15. Reason: trimmed quoted posts
Old 21st November 2015, 22:32   #2902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
...Any firefox/montra/RR300 is good enough. Check this link out for the set: http://www.bikeszone.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=3&t=17412 (RR340 is now discontinued).....

Thanks a lot for the advice. I guess things are getting a lot clearer now. Though with Paddu's post, I have fallen for the Scott too. Any advice on how the 950 would fit into my scheme of things??

Last edited by khan_sultan : 20th March 2019 at 09:16. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 22nd November 2015, 06:28   #2903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the advice. I guess things are getting a lot clearer now. Though with Paddu's post, I have fallen for the Scott too. Any advice on how the 950 would fit into my scheme of things??
It works just as fine (check whether the fork is a lockout). The more you spend, the lighter, the better finished, the smoother to ride (easier gear shifts, lighter wheels etc) it is - but after 30-50k budget the experience increments are smaller, but the price increments are exponential

Why don't you take a few test rides, or borrow someone's bike for a couple of days to make up your mind.
Old 22nd November 2015, 09:49   #2904
BHPian

I think you are right. Will take a few test rides before taking the plunge. thanks a lot.
Old 23rd November 2015, 13:32   #2905
BHPian

Quote:
I think you are right. Will take a few test rides before taking the plunge. thanks a lot.
Hey SX4LOVER,

If you are considering the Scott then I would suggest that you visit a local dealer as they have different 2016 models which have good components for the price. You can try them out and see which meets your requirements the most.
They have 26 inch, 27.5 and 29 inch wheel sizes in the new 2016 lineup for the Aspect model.
Another brand which can be considered is Merida. A lot of folks who I know own a Merida(MTB/Hybrid/Roadie) and are pretty satisfied.
Just for your information, the one that I have got has got s front suspension lock-out mechanism.

Happy and safe cycling!
Old 23rd November 2015, 22:00   #2906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddu View Post
Hey SX4LOVER,

If you are considering the Scott then I would suggest that you visit a local dealer as they have different 2016 models which have good components for the price. You can try them out and see which meets your requirements the most.
They have 26 inch, 27.5 and 29 inch wheel sizes in the new 2016 lineup for the Aspect model.
Another brand which can be considered is Merida. A lot of folks who I know own a Merida(MTB/Hybrid/Roadie) and are pretty satisfied.
Just for your information, the one that I have got has got s front suspension lock-out mechanism.

Happy and safe cycling!

OK..now this is a bouncer. I am new so i have no idea what a suspension lock out is. Will check it online. Thanks a lot guys. Plan to go to the local scott dealer at coimbatore as i am on leave right now. Will take an informed decision.

Last edited by SX4LOVER : 23rd November 2015 at 22:02. Reason: spelling errors.
Old 24th November 2015, 15:08   #2907
Senior - BHPian

Guys I have 'pre-load' front shock adjustment on my Specialized Hardrock. Doesn't make a difference which way its turned, max or min. Am I missing something here?

Name:  Specialized.png
Views: 1893
Size:  193.0 KB

Last edited by aah78 : 24th September 2019 at 20:47. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 25th November 2015, 15:22   #2908
BHPian

Hi guys,

Today I've taken out my bike to commute to the office for the first time.

48.4 km, 2 hr 50 min.

It has been a mixed feeling of pain and joy. I know I could have done better, but its my first long run.

Wanted to share with you all guys.

One query though. I've put on the padded shorts and the elastic bands on the thighs are very tight. During my short runs at home ranging 15-20 km, there wasn't much of a problem. But today, my thighs were burning like on fire at the end of the trip. I was so afraid of a permanent injury to my muscles. My guess is the tight elastic bands are the guilty party here. What should I do about it?

Thanks for inspiring me. Keep rocking, er..riding.
Old 25th November 2015, 16:04   #2909
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
OK..now this is a bouncer. I am new so i have no idea what a suspension lock out is. Will check it online. Thanks a lot guys. Plan to go to the local scott dealer at coimbatore as i am on leave right now. Will take an informed decision.
Suspension lock out is a knob on the suspension which you can turn to lock out the suspension. When locked out, the suspension becomes rigid with no spring action.

Your suspension can absorb some of the energy you put on your pedals, thus resulting in a slower ride for the same power exerted. So, locking the suspension can result in a faster ride on smooth roads. When you go off-roading, or ride on very rough roads, you can release the lock, so that the suspensions gets into action and makes the ride less rough.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSree View Post
Hi guys,

Today I've taken out my bike to commute to the office for the first time.

48.4 km, 2 hr 50 min.

It has been a mixed feeling of pain and joy. I know I could have done better, but its my first long run.

Wanted to share with you all guys.

One query though. I've put on the padded shorts and the elastic bands on the thighs are very tight. During my short runs at home ranging 15-20 km, there wasn't much of a problem. But today, my thighs were burning like on fire at the end of the trip. I was so afraid of a permanent injury to my muscles. My guess is the tight elastic bands are the guilty party here. What should I do about it?

Thanks for inspiring me. Keep rocking, er..riding.
That is a good average for a first ride. Keep riding, and you will soon be riding above 20kph.

Regarding the shorts, if the elastic is too tight, that is not good as well. A riding short should be tight enough that you feel it hug your body. Too tight could block blood flow and may lead to injuries. My suggestion, you should try the next size. Remember, it shouldn't be loose nor should it be too tight. It should hug your body.

Keep the miles coming
Old 28th November 2015, 20:09   #2910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
That is a good average for a first ride. Keep riding, and you will soon be riding above 20kph.

Regarding the shorts, if the elastic is too tight, that is not good as well. A riding short should be tight enough that you feel it hug your body. Too tight could block blood flow and may lead to injuries. My suggestion, you should try the next size. Remember, it shouldn't be loose nor should it be too tight. It should hug your body.

Keep the miles coming
Thanks for the remarks. (I searched for a thanks button but couldn't find any).

Regarding the average, I could finish the first half in one hour.

Its in the second half the trouble started.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks