Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2015, 14:31   #2806
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
After much deliberation, got a 6 speed, dual shox Hercules Rodea UX2on 26th September. covered around 100kms till now and its going good. Nice ride quality, good brakes.
Please share more of your thought process.

Help us understand your reasoning behind the dual shockers.
Old 28th September 2015, 16:24   #2807
BHPian

Mod Note: reformatted your post to remove font and color tags. Please don't copy-paste from an external text editor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Please share more of your thought process.

Help us understand your reasoning behind the dual shockers.
Sure. it was pretty simple and hence did not detail it, sorry about that.

* My son wanted to "upgrade" to a gear cycle.
* Felt it was good to invest in a durable one, as it helps me do my local shopping as well
The process:
* My firm has a bicycling group. They cycle from coimbatore to Bangalore and other places. Pretty avid bikers i must say. As i was not an expert on bicycles, went by their guidelines.
This is what they had to say
  • For 5 ft, he can take the 26” regular bike than the kids bike.
    Hercules rodeo is famous among school kids. That is good one too.
  • Rockrider 5.2 is also a solid starting bike. Go for dual shox as for people >50Kgs, its good on the back. Especially if driving on potholes or small speed breakers.
  • In my opinion, he does not need a geared bike at this stage, but he won’t settle
  • Maintenance is more
  • Need of gear change in flat is rare.
  • Less weight and hassle free.

In Hercules Rodeo - there are many models. Did not like dynamite. Based on above feedback on hardliner chose to stay away from it. As for others, test drove them (both me and son). We liked the UX2 with its super easy seat adjustment. Got a bell, air pump, reflectors and chain grease as freebies!
Total cost 9500/-. Meena cycle mart (Saibaba Colony).

I rode all the way back from the shop to home in the bicycle. Had to climb 2 flyovers, few stretches were dug up and the rest was smooth road. Personal experience was very good.
Pros:
Driving position is highly adjustable (handle bar / seat height)
Gear systems are not complicated.
Gear change sits well on the spockets
Braking is good (not excellent). but then the speeds are also not high.
Looks pretty neat (shall post a pic soon)

Cons:
the seat is too small for my backside. would personally prefer atleast 4 more inches in breadth
Pedals seem to be of average quality plastic

Last edited by noopster : 28th September 2015 at 17:10.
Old 29th September 2015, 02:48   #2808
Senior - BHPian

Drafting at 124Kmph .

The fastest I have ridden so far is 44Kmph on flat road. and 50ish Kmph with the help of gravity.
Old 30th September 2015, 21:32   #2809
BHPian

I have been riding Merida Speeder 100 since the beginning of 2015.

The Bicycles thread-img_06271.jpg

I use it to commute to office 2 times a week.

My commute is 9 km one way. By car, it takes 20 min in the morning (before 830 AM) and anywhere from 25 mins to 40 on good days in the evenings (Leaving at 530-6pm).

On my bicycle takes me 27-30 mins in the morning and 30-35 mins in the evening. My evening commutes are way faster than car.

The worst time on my bicycle (35 mins) is faster than the worst time in a car (90 mins) by a big margin.
The best time by car is only 10 mins less than the best time on my bicycle.

With growing traffic, it just makes a lot of sense to use the bicycle for commutes.
Old 1st October 2015, 13:41   #2810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Drafting at 124Kmph .

The fastest I have ridden so far is 44Kmph on flat road. and 50ish Kmph with the help of gravity.
Mine is 63 kmph, while coming down from Yeoor Hills, scary ride!

The Bicycles thread-63-kmph.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 24th September 2019 at 20:18. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 1st October 2015, 21:59   #2811
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Ah, its been a year since i got my cycle. Never ever thought I will be clocking this much kms.

Distance covered : 3265 Kms.

I still remember getting winded after few kilometers of cycling during the initial weeks. The best gadget I got for the bike, so far is the cycle computer. The only problem now is that I always want to beat my previous best average speed. I will always start a journey thinking that I will take it slowly, but end up pushing hard after some time.
Hey I recently picked up a GT Avenger that matches your bike in specs almost completely. How have the Promax brakes been in the last year? Any leaks etc? My previous bike (stolen ) had mechanical discs so this is my first time riding with hydraulic brakes.
Old 1st October 2015, 22:12   #2812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Hey I recently picked up a GT Avenger that matches your bike in specs almost completely. How have the Promax brakes been in the last year? Any leaks etc? My previous bike (stolen ) had mechanical discs so this is my first time riding with hydraulic brakes.
Nope, no leaks so far. Its going well. The pads also haven't worn off yet. The brake feel is better compared to a cable operated one.
Old 3rd October 2015, 08:31   #2813
Senior - BHPian

Hi Folks! I shifted my Firefox Trek to new place. While assembling the bike again the cycle wala screwed the pedal shaft on right side in reverse grooves resulting in damage to pedal and the shaft. After the shaft was replaced, the gear shifting has become a problem. The bike rides only on front gear 2 and it does not engage front gear 1 & 3.

I would like to solve this problem through DIY route. Any help on the setting and adjustments of the gear?
Old 3rd October 2015, 21:02   #2814

This thread seems really interesting! Started almost like 8 years back and still running! I started biking more than a year ago and got addicted to it Now restrained to indoor training rollers due to a bad crash that happened a few months back. Presently on a BTWIN RR 5.1. Planning to upgrade to roadie when the doc gives green signal for outdoor rides. So started saving for the same! Happy riding mates! Keep revving...err pedaling
Old 3rd October 2015, 23:38   #2815

Hi guys! Need advice to choose between Cannondale Trail7 29 er and Giant Talon 27.5. Both are MTBs. Use would be mainly road and trail mixed. Job involves shifting places after two-three years. Thanks.

Last edited by aah78 : 24th September 2019 at 20:21. Reason: Readability. Post fixed.
Old 4th October 2015, 11:27   #2816

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman965 View Post
Cannondale Trail7 29 er and Giant Talon 27.5
I think 29ers are trending nowadays. Marginally faster on road. I was planning on a Focus 29er, but then decided to go roadie instead.

Last edited by aah78 : 24th September 2019 at 20:22. Reason: Quoted post fixed.
Old 4th October 2015, 14:17   #2817
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujit_as7 View Post
I think 29ers are trending nowadays. Marginally faster on road. I was planning on a Focus 29er, but then decided to go roadie instead.

How do you say that they are faster on the road?
Old 4th October 2015, 15:27   #2818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman965 View Post
Hi guys! Need advice to choose between cannondale trail7 29 er and Giant talon 27.5. Both are mtbs . Use would be mainly road n trail mixed.Job Involves shifting places after two-three years.thanks.
We have 2 Cannondales - My husband's Trail7 and mine is Trail6 SL.

When purchasing mine, i tested different models among Giant, Cannondale, Merida and Fuji. Finally settled on Cannondale because when riding the bike, the lengths and rations seemed just right for me. Giant Revel came (very) close but the weight of Cannondale tilted the scales in its favor.

I also opted for the 2014 model which landed me a very good discount.

I was told that 29ers require a certain amount of fitness level and not for the total beginners.

Please try both before you make the purchase. Subtle changes in the frame geometry will be make or break in some cases.

Do post which one you finalized
Old 4th October 2015, 22:08   #2819
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
tested different models among Giant, Cannondale, Merida and Fuji. Finally settled on Cannondale because when riding the bike, the lengths and rations seemed just right for me. Giant Revel came (very) close but the weight of Cannondale tilted the scales in its favor
I too tried the same bikes & then some more, final call was between Canon Trail & Giant Revel. Chose Giant Revel 29er as its geometry suited me best.
Old 6th October 2015, 22:45   #2820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
I too tried the same bikes & then some more, final call was between Canon Trail & Giant Revel. Chose Giant Revel 29er as its geometry suited me best.
Yes.. different fits for different people. No way it is "one size fits all"

Many bike forums stress on trying out the bike before buying.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks