Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2015, 11:34   #2671
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)
Re: The Bicycles thread

So today morning I DID manage to wake up (5:20 a.m.) and was on the road by around 6:30. Had decided to nix my recced route because the surface was really not good in a lot of places, plus it was in-city, which meant traffic chances even early morning.

And headed off to the mecca of fitness junkies, arthritic geriatrics, and MAML's (middle aged men in lycra) - Pashan, Chandni Chowk.

One major advantage of riding in the daytime immediately became apparent within the first few kms - I could actually see what was going on in my cyclo-computer without having to check the stats at the next stop.

I remember having tried Chandni Chowk with some biker buddies with new cycles many years ago, on this same cycle of mine, and remember having had to get off at the last really steep stretch towards the end.

Happy to say that today many (easily close to 10) years later, I manage to make it to the chai tapri at the end, huffing and puffing with the final effort, in the last but one gear (1-2), but did not stop and did not get off.

I guess the 5+ years now without cigarette smoke in the lungs has paid off.

Some stats:

Dist 15.66
Max 35.40
Avg 19.80
Time 47.02

Had a cup of tea, whatsappped some buddies who were still waking up, and then started back. The ride back was easier and faster. I also discovered that I actually like doing flyovers and there is a technique of building up momentum (and shifting to the correct gear) just beforehand such that you crest the flyover with minimal effort and then build up momentum again downhill for climbing the next one.

Dist 16.82
Max 44.90
Avg 25.20
Time 38.27

I like this route and think I'm going to make it my regular daily ride one. Only I should be on the road at least an hour earlier (saw many bikers returning while I was doing the to leg). Will keep a log of these stats to map improvement and slowly try to extend the ride onward till NDA gate (wonder if its still allowed or have they closed that road off for civilian traffic now). And from there try to do more and more non stop before stopping for a break. As it is, this was about 32.5 kms and about 85 minutes of ride time. So with a 5 minute breather and tea break it should be a good 1.5 hour workout before office.

Some lessons:

1) Gear not shifting down from 2 to 1 when climbing and chain under tension. This is a new one.

2) The left bar end suddenly loosened and rotate on the hand with me putting my weight on it.

3) The cyclo-computer mount is loose and rotating when I try to adjust the angle of the screen while on the move. Also, when flying over speed humps (the advantage of a heavy steel frame and steel rims ) the cyclo-computer starts getting dislodged. I had to press it back into position a couple of times. A friend of mine had one of his fall of and get lost in a similar manner.

Any remedy for the above? A rubber-band around the clip of the computer which attaches to the mount plate somehow?

Last edited by ebonho : 27th June 2015 at 11:36.
Old 27th June 2015, 16:42   #2672
BHPian

Never knew TBHP had a Cycling Thread:

1. Cycle : Montra 1.2
2. Accessories: Cycle Stand, Water bottle holder, Back Light (Ali Express), Front Light (Ali Express), Cycle Pump with Holder (Btwin), Bag with Phone holder (Ali Express), Extra Tube (Decathlon), Cycle Tool Kit (Ali Express), Tube removing wrench (btwin).
3. Dress: Cyling flurocent Green Tshirt, Padded Shorts for Innerwear
4. Cycling App: Mapmyride
5. Cycling Days: Sunday, Wednesday & Friday
6. Kilometers Travel on Cycling Days : +/- 52 Km
7. Started Cycling from : November 2014
8. Average Kilometers covered Per month: 300KM to 500 KM
9. Start Time: 5.45 AM - End Time : 8.30 AM (Rest Time of 15 Minutes)
10. Music : Ipod Shuffle
11. Number of times had Puncture and Self repaired : 3 Times
12. Cleaning Cycle and oiling- Once in Two weeks (non rainy days)- Once in a Week (rainy days)

Having taken up cycling, wondered why did this not happen before.
Old 27th June 2015, 22:03   #2673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
If you want good international brand based tires, be ready to plonk ~1k or more per tire.

That is a pretty decent slick mtb tire. Had (have) it for almost 6 months and ~1000+ kms. Very durable and good tires.
And a decent deal; I paid 1200 odd for it last year.
Finally went to Phadke Haud today. Found an excellent alternative in Continental Contact II. (http://www.amazon.com/Continental-Co.../dp/B00HPS8NW2)

At 300 Rs per tire, its an excellent deal as well. Unfortunately there was only one in stock. Will go next week to get the fitting done. Will update the thread with my feedback.

On a side note, the weather in Pune is perfect for cycling now a days!!

Thanks for your guidance.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 27th March 2019 at 10:22. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 28th June 2015, 10:29   #2674
Senior - BHPian

Alright, so I started the "restoration" of the Hercules Top Gear Ezy DX yesterday. I should've taken a few pictures to show you all a before and after picture for a few morale boosting replies, but alas, I forgot.

Here's what I got out of Day 1 of restoration:

I dismantled most things:

1) Grips
2) Shimano Grip Shifters
3) Bell
4) Removed the handle bar from the T Stem
5) Front derailleur
6) Rear derailleur
7) Front brakes
8) Rear brakes
9) Seat
10) Seat post
11) Front brake levers
12) Rear brake levers
13) Tyres

I also removed most of the rust from the new shock absorbers and a host of other parts with steelwool and WD40. Must say, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ted-parts.html was very helpful.

Now, I am stuck. I do not know how to remove the rear cassette as it is from a company called Starlit and I would rather have a Shimano cassette down there.

Any pointers?

I do not have the special freewheel removing tool that I see most people use on YouTube and the other jugaads don't seem to be applicable for this cassette either.
Any pointers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

Here is a very neatly modified version of my same bike, with a lot of the above weight reductions, which weighs about 16+ kilos.

Attachment 1385933

Where are the rear brakes?

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 28th June 2015 at 10:52.
Old 28th June 2015, 11:30   #2675
Senior - BHPian

Got the Bianchi serviced. Certain 'consumables' were replaced.

The gears were fully disassembled; cleaned; degreased; lubricated and put put back again. Reassembled.

Working perfectly now. Shifts are perfect. I'd say that the bike is performing better than new.

Man; things do get better with time- specially after the run-in.

The cost of this tune up job - a meagre 200 bucks. Knowing a good mechanic does help. My usual fellow does know how to set the gears right.

Another day; another perfect tune-up. Very satisfied with the services offered by Surinder.

On a short ride today; touched 65 KMPH. This Bianchi does go quite fast; 65 was achieved very, very easily.

The fastest I've gone yet is 68 KMPH on my 2012 Montra- that took a LOT of effort. I was very tired after reaching such speeds.

Maybe a short while later I'll see just how fast the Bianchi can go with stock gearing.

Very satisfied.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 28th June 2015 at 11:35.
Old 28th June 2015, 13:51   #2676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Knowing a good mechanic does help. My usual fellow does know how to set the gears right.

Another day; another perfect tune-up. Very satisfied with the services offered by Surinder.
Can you please provide the details of your mechanic? I assume he is based in Pune.
Old 28th June 2015, 14:41   #2677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari1976 View Post
Can you please provide the details of your mechanic? I assume he is based in Pune.
You know whom I refer to very well.
Old 28th June 2015, 15:34   #2678
BHPian

Quote:
You know whom I refer to very well.
Got it, i should have known!!
Old 28th June 2015, 15:42   #2679
Senior - BHPian

Alright, here are a few pictures that should help anyone who is trying to help me!

Here is a picture of the old steering fork, notice how much it extends beyond the race on top of the head tube:

The Bicycles thread-old-steering-fork-1.jpg

And here is a picture of the new steering fork, notice how much more it extends beyond the race on top of the head tube

The Bicycles thread-new-steering-fork-1.jpg

I am assuming a lathe workshop can help me sort out the fork length issue?

And here is the picture of the race on top of the head tube, definitely needs changing I believe?

The Bicycles thread-head-tube.jpg

Also, I was looking around on the internet as I will need to change the Quill stem on the bicycle. I found a Quill type to threadless type stem adapter.

For those who don't know, this is a Quill Stem.

The Bicycles thread-quill-stem.jpg

This is a Threadless Stem:

The Bicycles thread-threadless-stem.jpg

And this is a threadless adapter:

The Bicycles thread-threadless-adapter.jpg

Anyone knows where I can get one of these in India? They are available in on amazon.com but not on amazon.in.

Also, I was looking for the grip shifters. On my small check online, I noticed that there aren't many choices online in India. Amazon.com, on the other hand, is pure heaven.

That said, I found the decathlon website listing some BTwin Shifters. Are shifters interchangeable? Can I use a BTwin shifter for a Shimano derailleur for a Starlit cassette? I plan on getting things functioning first and then getting things specific.

I still don't know how to remove the cassette from the rear wheel. :(

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 28th June 2015 at 16:01.
Old 28th June 2015, 18:10   #2680
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
I still don't know how to remove the cassette from the rear wheel. :(
To remove the cassette from the wheel, you will need mainly two tools - chainwhip and lock-ring tool. You being a DIY guy, there are ways to do this without these special tools as well. Youtube has many videos. Here is one.

Good luck with the restoration

Last edited by graaja : 28th June 2015 at 18:26.
Old 28th June 2015, 21:47   #2681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On a short ride today; touched 65 KMPH. This Bianchi does go quite fast; 65 was achieved very, very easily.

The fastest I've gone yet is 68 KMPH on my 2012 Montra- that took a LOT of effort. I was very tired after reaching such speeds.
Where do you achieve such speeds? Is it on a downward slope while coming down? The max I have achieved is 51 on my hybrid that too on a steep drop on NH4.
Old 28th June 2015, 22:06   #2682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
To remove the cassette from the wheel, you will need mainly two tools - chainwhip and lock-ring tool. You being a DIY guy, there are ways to do this without these special tools as well. Youtube has many videos. Here is one.

Good luck with the restoration
Haha. Thanks to your post, I went ahead and tried my own method.

I found a Ring Spanner that would fit exactly into the hole and just turned.

And after some time, the cassette came right off!

Last edited by aah78 : 24th September 2019 at 19:26. Reason: Removed video from quote for readability.
Old 29th June 2015, 00:42   #2683
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Where do you achieve such speeds? Is it on a downward slope while coming down? The max I have achieved is 51 on my hybrid that too on a steep drop on NH4.
He has a roadie. Weight, gearing, wheels, tyres, are all built for speed. My friend on his Bergamont Vitox mtb touched 54 on the descent back from Chandni Chowk. Same place I hit 45.
Old 29th June 2015, 14:20   #2684
Senior - BHPian

Here are a list of parts I need to buy, preferable from Shimano or SRAM. But any other good brand like BTwin is also alright. Could anyone give me an estimate for each of the parts?

1) V Brakes (Front) - http://www.decathlon.in/cycling/spar...ers/p-M8299212
2) V Brakes (Back) - http://www.decathlon.in/cycling/spar...ers/p-M8299212
3) Grip Shifter 6 speed - http://www.decathlon.in/cycling/spar...ter/p-M8298278
4) Grip shifter 3 speed - http://www.decathlon.in/cycling/spar...ter/p-M8298274
5) Crankset 3 speed - http://www.decathlon.in/cycling/spar...set/p-M8003052
6) Chain (Preferably with a powerlink)
7) 6 speed cassette - http://www.decathlon.in/cycling/spar...l-6/p-M8175325
8) Gear cables (Front and rear)
9) Brake cables (Front and rear) - http://www.decathlon.in/cycling/spar...ire/p-M8043615
10) Grease
11) Ball bearings (around 75) - For the front wheel, rear wheel and the steering
12) Ferrules (Around 20)
13) Cable end crimps (Around 10)
14) Plastic mudguards (Front and rear)
15) Cable housing (For both sets of gears and brakes) - http://www.decathlon.in/cycling/spar...ake/p-M8043621

EDIT: These are links I got from the Decathlon page. Do they serve well? Compared to Shimano?

Also, I would like to know if these parts are useful:

http://www.decathlon.in/cycling/spar...ork/p-M8299154

http://www.decathlon.in/cycling/spar...nch/p-M5245085

http://www.decathlon.in/cycling/spar...ll/p-M8076956b

Any inputs are welcome.

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 29th June 2015 at 14:32.
Old 29th June 2015, 16:32   #2685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
He has a roadie. Weight, gearing, wheels, tyres, are all built for speed. My friend on his Bergamont Vitox mtb touched 54 on the descent back from Chandni Chowk. Same place I hit 45.
The 65 KMPH on the Bianchi was achieved on a very long downward descent on the NH4.

The 68 on the Montra MTB- which was running on slicks at that point of time-was achieved on the downward descending slope- at the Baner-Pashan Link road.

Sadly; owing to recent construction of speedbreakers; the link road is not suitable for such land speed record attempts.

Speedsters made that stretch of the road notorious- a friend once told me that he had touched 160 KMPH on his Duke 390 on the very same stretch. WITHOUT a helmet. Ouch.

Speeding attempts should be avoided; particularly if they threaten public safety & security.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 29th June 2015 at 16:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks