Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2015, 11:48   #2791
BANNED

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaytiwari View Post
Finally the bike i decided to get after the blues getting robbed , just went for a 20 k run and its well behaved . will know more after breaking in.Attachment 1414843
That saddle is too low, if the bike is right size.
Old 15th September 2015, 16:24   #2792
BHPian

@paddu: Merida should be a safe choice for you. Try it out at a store if you can.
Old 15th September 2015, 16:56   #2793
BHPian

Is there any good cycle under 5K, just for a once in a week fitness round.
Old 17th September 2015, 15:40   #2794
BHPian

Hello All,

I own a firefox Rapide 2014 model.
Is it advisable and possible to upgrade the shifters and RD, FD from Acera 8x3 to SLX 10 x3 ??
Also a straight handle bar replacement, is that advisable too ?
Old 17th September 2015, 15:50   #2795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_safari View Post
Hello All,

I own a firefox Rapide 2014 model.
Is it advisable and possible to upgrade the shifters and RD, FD from Acera 8x3 to SLX 10 x3 ??
Also a straight handle bar replacement, is that advisable too ?
Why do you want to do that? Instead of just giving 8x3, can you elaborate what will be cassette size change that you'd get? Change is most likely possible but you might have to include chain as well in the list.

Do you want to replace straight handlebar to something else?
Old 17th September 2015, 15:55   #2796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by werfish View Post
Is there any good cycle under 5K, just for a once in a week fitness round.
I think you can get the B'Twin Mybike. However I would suggest you spend a bit more and buy a better bike and you'll probably be riding it daily instead of weekly. I set out to buy a bike for 20K. Somehow got convinced to spend more and ended up spending 55K. A decision I have not regretted. If budget is a problem remember the new mobile phone you plan to buy spending 15-20K. Does not help to to get fitter. Sacrifice the phone and spend more on the bike.
Old 22nd September 2015, 01:40   #2797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Well, I used to be a competitive cyclist many many (blue) moons ago. High school. Mid to late 80s to be precise. LOL
Yup, that's the plan. Our group leader is sadly the by-the-book slow and steady incremental interval training type ....
Quote:
Awesome, doc. Nice read, I hope you will reach 25kmph for 50Km(or more) goal faster, meanwhile, I have set 25kmph for 25Kms as my goal.
Doc, long time, how is your cycling adventures going? Myself, still working towards my 25Kmph for 25Km target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Sigma Rox 5.0 Unboxing ��
I have to change the battery after using it for 7 months. I thought the battery will last longer than this. As per the manual it will last for one year with a usage of 1 hour per day, i.e, 365 hours. But I have used only 140 and odd hours as per the cycle computer. I have turned off the zone alarm for the heart rate monitor this time, lets see how long will it last this time.

Last edited by ecenandu : 22nd September 2015 at 01:54.
Old 22nd September 2015, 08:35   #2798
BHPian

Got a Hercules Hardliner for my younger brother yesterday. He is overweight and wanted to take cycling a little more seriously. I wanted a simple sturdy frame with least bits and a minimum of 7 gears. My options were the BTwin RR, Hardliner under 10k. I have searched everywhere for a BTwin. None of the shops had it. Nearest Decathlon store was 60-70kms away.

Yesterday, I went to the nearest BSA Go showroom and checked out the bike. The frame was light. The bike was ok. I was wary of the cheap front suspension. My brother liked the bike so I have bought it for 9.3k. I really wanted a BTwin but had to settle for the Hercules for pure availability reasons. I was expecting the bike to be less than perfect being a locally built bike but not up to this extent. The shifts were so slow and the chain was hesitating to move one up from the smallest ring in the rear derailleur . It got stuck in the middle for a few times. The front derailleur was even more pathetic as it failed to put the chain on the middle ring. And it got stuck once when i was being tail gated by a bus. I have decided to adjust the derailleurs and the shifting got much better but still painfully slow and bad. Even the badly built hero, Hercules bikes I had in the past had better shifts. But still I enjoyed riding it a bit around and felt bike was light and sturdy.

Today, I woke up to hear the news that my brother pushed his bike all the way back to home because the rear tire has came off the rims. Yes, on a brand new bike doing very slow speeds. Now I'll have to go through all the pain and hassle of getting the money back or getting the bike replaced. I really don't want to get another Hercules. They are getting worse it seems.

The Bicycles thread-1442890888826.jpg

The Bicycles thread-1442890910339.jpg

The Bicycles thread-1442890922569.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 24th September 2019 at 20:16. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line. Typos
Old 25th September 2015, 16:26   #2799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
They are getting worse it seems.
really sorry to hear this. Hope nothing happened to your Bro. This is the fourth incident am hearing with Hercules in two months. Was talking to the proprietor of "gopalakrishna cycles" and he mentioned two cases where the V frame broke while the cyclist was riding. Its pretty dangerous and scary. Infact, after complaining to Hercules management, no action has been taken. he was telling me that he has stopped sourcing Hercules cycles.
Old 25th September 2015, 21:36   #2800
BHPian

I got this one a month before. It's a Trek Emonda S5 all carbon fiber body, Shimano 105, 11-speed. Max I've done is 72 miles and I've a century ride coming up in 1st week of Oct.

I've not yet gone for clip pedal and shoe. Still doing it with running shoe.

The Bicycles thread-bike.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 24th September 2019 at 20:17. Reason: Picture inserted in-line. Typos.
Old 27th September 2015, 02:50   #2801
BHPian

Got myself a bicycle, or a bike as it is called here in the US, after 8 years! Its a used Fuji Nevada 5.0 2011 model. Not as fancy as what others have on our forum. But my first geared bike. Looks very good in white. Loving it very much.

-Bhargav
Old 28th September 2015, 03:01   #2802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My bike, a newbie to cycling.
Attachment 1293473
Ah, its been a year since i got my cycle. Never ever thought I will be clocking this much kms.

Distance covered : 3265 Kms.

I still remember getting winded after few kilometers of cycling during the initial weeks. The best gadget I got for the bike, so far is the cycle computer. The only problem now is that I always want to beat my previous best average speed. I will always start a journey thinking that I will take it slowly, but end up pushing hard after some time.

Do you guys do the same, like me?

I learned a lot of stuff from you guys, always there to answer my queries. Mail4ajo, Graaja, Ninjatalli, Nareshov, Ebonho .

I almost bought a roadie this summer but postponed to next year. Here in Sweden, using roadie is seasonal, during winter you cannot use them. Last year, during winter there were really few people on bike on the roads. Many a time it will be just us(me and my friend) on the road.

Its been a steep learning curve to learn, how to ride on snow. Encountered black ice for the first time, now at least know how to avoid them. The trick is to pedal at constant cadence, no sudden increase in cadence. I learned this trick from my fellow swedes. One day, I was struggling to get traction on icy surface and got down from bike and started pushing it. Only to be overtaken by a swede(60 plus) pedalling like there is no ice. Mind you, he is on a bike with 3 gears maximum. Then I knew my problem, I was on a lower gear and because of that my rear tyre kept losing traction.

Anyway, this time I planning to get winter tyres. The only problem is my bike got 27.5 inch tyres, which is an odd size and the shops don't stock this tyre size, normally.

Cheers and keep on clocking those bicycle miles. .

Wish list : Roadie, power meter, GPS enabled cycle computer.
Old 28th September 2015, 07:24   #2803
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ah, its been a year since i got my cycle. Never ever thought I will be clocking this much kms.

Distance covered : 3265 Kms.
That is awesome mileage. Keep them coming

Quote:
The only problem now is that I always want to beat my previous best average speed. I will always start a journey thinking that I will take it slowly, but end up pushing hard after some time.

Do you guys do the same, like me?
I used to be like that. Though I achieved some goals like 27kph speed over 40km, 100km in 3hrs 45mins etc, I found this was not sustainable as most of these rides involved me spending most of the time in Z3 and Z4 heart zones, whereas my fellow riders used to do the same or better in Z2 and Z3. Then I learnt from a few experts this is not the way to improve your performance. Performance improvement is not just doing something for one ride, but becoming capable of sustaining this peformance. This can happen only by following proper training plans and patience. There are lots of 6 weeks or 8 weeks training plans available on the internet. Choose one of these and stick to the plan (without worrying about average speed etc). Then after completing the plan, you will definitely see an improvement.

Quote:
I learned a lot of stuff from you guys, always there to answer my queries. Mail4ajo, Graaja, Ninjatalli, Nareshov, Ebonho .
Feels good to know that I was of some help
Old 28th September 2015, 07:42   #2804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
That is awesome mileage. Keep them coming
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I used to be like that. Though I achieved some goals like 27kph speed over 40km, 100km in 3hrs 45mins etc, I found this was not sustainable as most of these rides involved me spending most of the time in Z3 and Z4 heart zones, whereas my fellow riders used to do the same or better in Z2 and Z3. Then I learnt from a few experts this is not the way to improve your performance. Performance improvement is not just doing something for one ride, but becoming capable of sustaining this peformance. This can happen only by following proper training plans and patience. There are lots of 6 weeks or 8 weeks training plans available on the internet. Choose one of these and stick to the plan (without worrying about average speed etc). Then after completing the plan, you will definitely see an improvement.
Feels good to know that I was of some help
Done, got an 8 week plan to century ride from Garmin, will try follow that.
Old 28th September 2015, 13:06   #2805
BHPian

After much deliberation, got a 6 speed, dual shox Hercules Rodea UX2on 26th September. covered around 100kms till now and its going good. Nice ride quality, good brakes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks