Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2011, 14:16   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do you get car-sick?

I have felt strange when sitting at the rear or in the front next to the driver when I am in my colleague's car or in a taxi. After sometime I start getting this feeling that something is not right. Nothing physically but purely mentally. The urge to get into the driver's seat starts getting stronger and then I start giving directions as to to how to drive.

Once when i did so sitting in a taxi, the driver just stared at me and said that he's been driving on the roads since the time when I wasn't even born.
Old 21st March 2011, 15:08   #92
BHPian

Sick? No. Bored? Yes. Annoyed? Yes, especially when I can sense that the person driving can do better. But I refrain from any attempts at back seat driving.

Another problem is the sometimes meaningless small talk you have to engage in with co-passengers. If you are driving, you have the excuse of concentrating on driving to exclude yourself.
Old 21st March 2011, 15:14   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

I enjoy sitting at backseat only if it's NOT my car and almost never sat in rear in my own car. Mostly because I dont like driving other's car
Old 21st March 2011, 16:12   #94
BHPian

@honeybee and vasoo: Getting sick on a winding road is quite common. This happens to people especially when they are not used to travelling on ghat sections.

What iam asking is a slightly peculiar case wherein mum feels sick only while sitting at the rear seat and that too only in the ANHC!!
Old 21st March 2011, 17:06   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
Hello team,

Just raking up this issue once more.

Recently I noticed my mum gets sick while sitting at the back in our ANHC. She's perfectly fine when she is sitting in the front. We have not seen this in her with the other cars such as Palio, Indica etc which we had. It is only in the ANHC that she is having the problem.

I was going through the thread and noticed a few others also experience a similar problem. But what is the solution to this? Why does it happen? If she is having motion sickness, then shouldn't she experience the same while sitting in front too? Does this have something to with a particular vehicle?
I believe that the supsesion of the ANHC is the culprit as my folks too complain when they sit in the rear seat of ANHC but not when they are occupying the rear seat of any other cars they have mostly sat in (i10, Fusion, Forester and Santro xing). ANHC, at least the car I have, has a trait that the rear is never settles even on a good road which keeps wobbling a bit. This effect is not there in the front seat and that is the reason why people are comfortable sitting in the front seats.
Old 21st March 2011, 17:10   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I believe that the supsesion of the ANHC is the culprit as my folks too complain when they sit in the rear seat of ANHC but not when they are occupying the rear seat of any other cars they have mostly sat in (i10, Fusion, Forester and Santro xing). ANHC, at least the car I have, has a trait that the rear is never settles even on a good road which keeps wobbling a bit. This effect is not there in the front seat and that is the reason why people are comfortable sitting in the front seats.
Thanks Guna.
How did you overcome the issue?
Old 22nd March 2011, 09:03   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I have felt strange when sitting at the rear or in the front next to the driver when I am in my colleague's car or in a taxi. After sometime I start getting this feeling that something is not right. Nothing physically but purely mentally. The urge to get into the driver's seat starts getting stronger and then I start giving directions as to to how to drive.
I do get jittery when I am not driving. But I refrain from passing on those jitters to the driver. I have been at the receiving end of such advice many times in the past, so I try to avoid doing it to another driver.
Old 22nd March 2011, 09:37   #98
Senior - BHPian

I can travel as the rear seat passenger if the leg room is right, but the problem is I tend to doze off if I am not driving. Just give me a comfy seat during bus journeys, and I will sleep almost 90% of the way! Straight roads, winding roads, you name it - no problem.

My wife gets sick pretty quickly if car is driven fast on winding roads. They need not be ghat roads, even the Sirkhazhi - Mayiladuthurai stretch will do!
Old 22nd March 2011, 10:05   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
Thanks Guna.
How did you overcome the issue?
I haven't tried to rectify the issue as I don't think there will be feasible solution to this.
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:23   #100
BANNED

I rarely sit in the backseat of my own car but other wise I do not get sick. My mom-in-law gets sick very fast but a tablet of "Avomine" does the trick for one complete overnight journey. People can try it if they wish to.
Old 23rd March 2011, 10:11   #101
BHPian

Yes I do get car sick when I sit in the back, especially the center position in rear seat.

4 years ago, I had a chance to travel in a Qualis (middle seat though) along a hill route. Every 10kms we have to stop coz I felt like throwing. And when I get down.. it will stop. Weird! We halted for nearly 7-8 times throughout the 2 hour drive.

Even inside the city, I feel uncomfortable sitting in the rear seat rubbing the shoulders and gets headache If I take the center seat! Rats!
Old 23rd March 2011, 10:17   #102
BHPian

It's strange that one doesn't get sick when traveling by train but only when traveling on road. Has anyone noticed that?
Old 23rd March 2011, 20:26   #103
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
It's strange that one doesn't get sick when traveling by train but only when traveling on road. Has anyone noticed that?
because the train does not shake a lot and mainly running on straight line hence G forces are very low. Also train compartment is very huge so it gives signal to brain that body is not moving with great speed.

Btw, I don't get car sickness or any kind of motion sickness. I feel very comfortable and relaxed when somebody else is driving and I know he is safe driver. Infect, I feel very good when somebody else is driving because 100% of the time I am the one who is driving car.

However, I do get simulation sickness therefore I get huge headache after playing simulated 3d games for more then 15 minutes hence I don't play games.

Last edited by GTO : 30th March 2011 at 16:49. Reason: Please proof-read your posts before submitting; correcting the spelling errors
Old 23rd March 2011, 20:54   #104
Senior - BHPian

Its not so much the seat itself but the proximity to the rear axle means you are thrown up and down more.
Old 23rd March 2011, 21:18   #105
Senior - BHPian

I get sick when I travel backwards for a very long time - like on rear facing train seats or those rear facing bus seats. :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks