Team-BHP - R.I.P. Yogesh Sarkar of BCMTouring.com
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   R.I.P. Yogesh Sarkar of BCMTouring.com (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/213590-r-i-p-yogesh-sarkar-bcmtouring-com-3.html)

I’ve had such delightful and helpful conversations with him on xbhp and BCMTouring. I read a tweet about this incident but didn’t know it would be Yogesh. Oh good Lord! Until I see you again bhai. May you’re noble soul rest in peace. Prayers and strength to your family. You’ll be missed.

RIP. Quite sad news indeed. He was very active on BCM touring and would reply to each and every query no matter how insignificant the question.

Feel extremely saddened and disturbed by this news. Used to enjoy his style of writing and the beautiful pics that accompanied them. May your soul rest in peace brother. More strength to your family to cope up with the huge loss.

RIP sir.
A tragic loss to our community.

I would also like to quote Deepak bhaiya (mountain man) here:
Original post: https://www.facebook.com/mountainman...20049538016088

"AMS KILLS
Close on the heels of the tragic passing away of Yogesh Sarkar comes another tragic news of a young guy (25-26 years old) passing away due to AMS today in Ladakh. He was in the same place as Yogesh yesterday under Medical treatment. Which brings me to the point of AMS.
I was surprised yesterday that many people were asking on Posts related to his passing away what AMS was. And many of these people had visited Ladakh as it was apparent from the pics posted on their FBs.
The most important point is that AMS doesnt care about how many times you have been to High Altitude and we should understand. Every time your body starts fighting AMS you start at zero no matter how many times it might have fought AMS before. And please understand that AMS doesnt distinguish between a fit Athlete or a pot bellied Metro guy. It will hit you and if unprepared it will hit you hard.
Some of my experienced Mountaineer friends who regularly got to the Eastern Karakorams on Expeditions tell me that they acclimatize for a Week in Leh. Yes a WEEK. All Soldiers who land up in Leh are also expected to do nothing for the next 48 hours. But then we have un-infromed / ignorant people who just want to go to Ladakh due to peer pressure caused by SM and want to do it in like 3 days. And many Operators, who have the knowledge of AMS, ignore the dangers of AMS just because of the lure of easy Money.
So its my humble Request to all please Acclimatize, Acclimatize and Acclimatize. The only thing that will save you from AMS. So the first 3 nights in Ladakh make sure you sleep at an altitude not more than that of Leh (3500 m). Infact go to Basgo (3292 m) or some such place at a lower altitude to spend the first night. Or move towards Kargil (2676 m) side for a few days. Or just check into your Hotel in Leh and do nothing for the next 24 hours. But please remember not to spend the night at more than 3500 m on the first 3 nights.
Also I have noticed that people generally like to keep their feelings of being uncomfortable to themselves. Do not do that. Always share what you feel with the people accompanying you. Dont wait for things to go out of hand before you tell them anything. Even the slightest feeling of Headache or Nausea should be immediately reported to your companions. Also we need to watch out for our Companions and look out for any signs that they might be suffering from AMS. Its comparatively easy to see signs of AMS in other people if you yourself are not suffering from it.
And last but not the least get a Medical test done before going to Ladakh. Especially your Breathing and Respiration and Heart functions.

Its better to be safe than Sorry."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddy (Post 4664793)
Last post on his blog. I am at a loss for words.

Oh boy. This is hard to digest. RIP Yogesh

Many of us knew Yogesh as Tiger from early xBhp days in 2003/2004. It is a hard pill to swallow. His enthusiasm and involvement in various ride reports was incredible. A very warm person. It's very unfair.

Didn't know him at all, however it is sad to see a life lost, that had so much more to give to the world.

Rest in peace!

RIP Yogesh Sarkar. His website and information was a treat to read and follow. He has left a void among Indian travelers. His info on Ladakh, Spiti and the Himalayas was very useful for all adventure travelers. In particular, I liked the information on trips to Ladakh in winters.
This is a lesson to all travelers, that AMS can affect even the best of the best. This goes for all who want to travel to Ladakh and high altitude places. Please follow the standard procedures and don't be a macho man. You will not know when AMS takes on, and before your friends realise, it may be too late. So act fast and prepare well.

I was at the xBhp ISG2G at Yercaud when someone mentioned this and it was quite a shocker, Yogesh was a really helpful person who didn't care what you rode or where you came from when it comes to helping those in need.

What causes more concern is the number of young idiots(myself included) who get inspired by 'Mountains are Calling' posters and decide to give it a shot simply on a whim.

If this can happen to a seasoned enthusiast like Yogesh then we really need to be taking AMS into serious consideration before we even contemplate getting Leh'd.

Ride Safe Guys.
A.P.

RIP Yogesh Sarkar, I just found about his death this evening. He was a source of all his inspiration for all of us. I came across this closing statement in his blog post from September

“ However, everyone has a purpose in life, I would like to believe, I am supposed to be the brush and maybe even the pen of the almighty to highlight the beauty all around us. Nothing more and nothing less.

However, believing in anything is hard now, especially God. I am trying, though regularly failing.

The worst thing is, there is no fire left anymore and neither hopes and dreams are there. Maybe, September will be the month I rediscover it, or maybe, it will just drag on. I am not sure.“

https://www.yogeshsarkar.com/blog/20...eptember-2019/

Just came to know about this, and I am shell-shocked! His notes on BCMTouring were instrumental in planning our self organised biking tour in Ladakh 4 years back. We were first timers, had never been to the north, forget himalayas, and I had found his inputs very valuable in finishing that tour without much trouble.

His insistence on danger of AMS was also one of the reasons why we had planned our route via Jammu-Srinagar side, rather than Manali side. It's hard to believe he himself getting hit by AMS.

It's just plain sad and heart wrenching to hear about his untimely demise. May his family get the strength to come out of such a loss.

Quote:

Dear members,

We are taking BCMTouring.com offline.

Sad as it may sound, this journey of 17 years have to finally come to an end as far as this forum and website is concerned.

BCMTouring started its journey in 2006 aiming to connect travellers and make travelling easier. Accessibility of information has always been our first priority. As we progress further into the information age, newer platforms like video blogs, Instagram and WhatsApp groups have become the preferred choice for most. Keeping in view the lack of activity and increasing expenditure, we have taken the painful decision to permanently close down our forums. We urge you to secure your posts and photos which you may have shared on our forums by midnight of 19th October 2023. BCMT platforms will continue to remain available via WhatsApp Group, Facebook and Instagram.

Going forward, you can join/follow our social media platforms here:

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/groups/19646833128

Instagram : https://www.instagram.com/bcmtouring/?hl=en

Facebook page of BCM Touring