Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2017, 10:26   #241
BHPian

Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land! Worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Congress has just re tabled a bill asking to increase the minimum wage for H1B to $100,000 from the current $60/65k. Last time around it was shot down as it met with lot of opposition. Not sure what will happen this time.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/56349877.cms
Connecting this to the news i heard, there is a possibility of reducing number of junior members in team than calling back experienced persons. Can expect more managers and architects starting coding
Otherwise this is going to be a lottery for juniors as they will get a decent salary abroad
Old 6th January 2017, 10:32   #242
BHPian

Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land! Worth it?

I doubt it will get passed because obviously the new higher rates will have to come from the customers only which would mean higher billing rates. However, if it does pass, then its really worth immigrating to US especially in the junior ranks.
Old 6th January 2017, 20:16   #243
Senior - BHPian

Re: H1B visa -Your Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Looks like H1-B visa may soon become history... or at least change drastically.

http://www.livemint.com/Opinion/rEL3...ald-Trump.html
If the cap remains the same and the salary is increased, does this mean number of applicants will reduce? If yes, then it might improve my chances of getting through the lottery in what would be my 4th attempt
Old 6th January 2017, 20:19   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
If the cap remains the same and the salary is increased, does this mean number of applicants will reduce? If yes, then it might improve my chances of getting through the lottery in what would be my 4th attempt
Seems you are in USA for long now. Why do you need H1?
Old 6th January 2017, 20:34   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Seems you are in USA for long now. Why do you need H1?
Yes. Been here for more than 4 years now.
I am currently on L1, which can't be renewed once it expires.
Old 31st January 2017, 15:42   #246
Team-BHP Support

Next time any of our IT companies get caught misusing B1 visa for working, they can cite the case of Melania Trump.

Old 31st January 2017, 15:55   #247
Senior - BHPian

The bloodbath has started:

http://profit.ndtv.com/news/market/a...-lateststories

Also - anyone wishing to check out the simple version of the bill that's the subject of discussion:

https://lofgren.house.gov/uploadedfi...017__final.pdf
Old 31st January 2017, 16:08   #248
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Also - anyone wishing to check out the simple version of the bill that's the subject of discussion:

https://lofgren.house.gov/uploadedfi...017__final.pdf
Actually, these are very fair terms, for both H1-B and American employees. Only companies that thrive on exploiting employees will weep and scream. Nothing wrong in doubling 60K salary cap after 20 years.
Old 31st January 2017, 16:59   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually, these are very fair terms, for both H1-B and American employees. Only companies that thrive on exploiting employees will weep and scream. Nothing wrong in doubling 60K salary cap after 20 years.
Well, if you think of a free market, if someone (an Indian) is willing to work for a salary (around 60K USD) in USA, should the USA govt interfere?

I do not know if the analogy is right, but if we think of Indian exports as human resources and US exports as cars, if Ford wants to sell a CBU car (say Ford Mustang) in India for Rs 5 lakhs, undercutting their Indian competitor (for the sake of the argument, Tata), should the Indian govt interfere?
Old 31st January 2017, 17:01   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, employers that expolited employees will be the ones that are affected. And this was always a two sided affair - the employees were "happy to be exploited" because they got something that they wanted in return (money, status symbol, whatever!). Along with the employer, its employees will also weep and scream. Whether it is fair or not, I am nobody to decide!
Old 31st January 2017, 17:21   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Well, if you think of a free market, if someone (an Indian) is willing to work for a salary (around 60K USD) in USA, should the USA govt interfere?

I do not know if the analogy is right, but if we think of Indian exports as human resources and US exports as cars, if Ford wants to sell a CBU car (say Ford Mustang) in India for Rs 5 lakhs, undercutting their Indian competitor (for the sake of the argument, Tata), should the Indian govt interfere?
Your analogy does seem wrong. The Indian government does impose exorbitant taxes on direct imports to promote local manufacturing.

Again only talking about the analogy. I'm not really commenting on the subject matter!
Old 31st January 2017, 17:24   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.r.K View Post
Your analogy does seem wrong. The Indian government does impose exorbitant taxes on direct imports to promote local manufacturing.

Again only talking about the analogy. I'm not really commenting on the subject matter!
Ok maybe something other than cars
Old 31st January 2017, 17:45   #253
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Free market feels like a good idea, but is not a fair one in the globalization era because the playing field is not level. Companies talk about free market only when it benefits them. Remember how Ola/Flipkart want restrictions on Uber/Amazon because of their foreign roots. But Ola/FlipKart have no problem with FDI they received.

In any country, foreigners shouldn't enjoy equal rights as citizens when they don't have equal responsibility. I understood this when I was on H1-B in the 90s, where many of my colleagues were either war veterans or direct relatives of war veterans/martyrs of Vietnam or the first Gulf war. And they are forced to compete for jobs in their own country with foreigners who had made no sacrifices to their country. The resentment had started right then.

Businesses only care about their profits, so they can't be trusted to provide justice to the society. So it becomes government's job to provide that justice via such laws.

Last edited by Samurai : 31st January 2017 at 17:49.
Old 31st January 2017, 17:54   #254
BANNED

Quote:
Why doesn't India let furriners work in India for under 25000$ per annum? I am sure tons of Bangladeshis would love to compete with Indians for jobs. At all levels.

Quote:
They already interfere, don't they? It's called custom duty on imports.
Old 31st January 2017, 17:55   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Free market feels like a good idea, but is not a fair one in the globalization era because the playing field is not level. Companies talk about free market only when it benefits them.

In any country, foreigners shouldn't enjoy equal rights as citizens when they don't have equal responsibility. I understood this when I was on H1-B in the 90s, where many of my colleagues were either war veterans or direct relatives of war veterans/martyrs of Vietnam or the first Gulf war. And they are forced to compete for jobs in their own country with foreigners who had made no sacrifices to their country. The resentment had started right then.

Businesses only care about their profits, so they can't be trusted to provide justice to the society. So it becomes government's job to provide that justice via such laws.
Agreed - social justice is the government's responsibility.
But H1B/L1B/L1A does not entitle you equal rights as citizens - you cannot buy property neither can you vote, and you have to pay SSN tax, which I feel compensates in the 'social cause' of US citizens.

But then, if it's not a level playing field, why does USA complain in WTO (and win) when India mandates local contents in solar power units (which makes it difficult for US companies and encourages the make in India concept)?

Here's an article calling the localization law as 'stupid', why isn't Trump's 'local person law' stupid?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworst.../#7aea21d8776d

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks