Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2019, 12:45   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Low tariff regime over, telecom companies hike prepaid rates by 40-50%

So after 50% hike, how about correcting their calendars? 90 days in place of 84 or 82 days.
Old 4th December 2019, 14:35   #17
BHPian

Good move by telecom companies. Lesser amount of Dhinchak poojas, blouse donning men in tiktok videos & make-up plastered insta wannabes is a good thing for society.
I say reduce the daily mobile data limit to 200-300 MB, anything more should be chargeable. Productivity will increase, downtime will decrease & people will make constructive use of the internet.

Last edited by superbad : 4th December 2019 at 14:39.
Old 4th December 2019, 14:43   #18
BHPian

Regressive move for the common man, and sounds like a move back to cartels where all operators work together to keep prices similar - somewhat like what happens in real estate with big ticket developers.

That said, the present situation is / was untenable the moment Jio stepped in with rock bottom pricing. I work in the sector (IT focused on telecom) and we all see the effects of that carnage.
Old 4th December 2019, 14:57   #19
BHPian

If BSNL is intelligent instead of increasing tariff like others, they can poach user from other networks especially since they have 4G now. And reclaim some of those lost subscribers.

Last edited by aah78 : 4th December 2019 at 20:22. Reason: Format.
Old 4th December 2019, 15:11   #20
BHPian

I have been a Vodafone postpaid customer for almost 15 years. Vodafone network is really bad but i am persisting with as i don't know what to expect in Airtel. 'A known devil is better than a unknown angel'.

Vodafone recently announced Red X plan where they assure 50% better data speeds. I pre registered for it the day it was announced and have been changed to the plan on 1st Dec. I see the data speeds have improved. It is expensive at 999/month/connection. The only other worthwhile benefit is Netflix subscription. There is a lock-in of 6 months. I hope my experience improves otherwise i will switch after the lock-in.
Old 4th December 2019, 15:12   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Is there some family kind of plan on airtel prepaid? Trying to look this up as well.

999/for 5 phones is quite cheap.

Airtel does not have any such plans on the Prepaid sector.
However they do have similar plans on Postpaid wherein you pay 749 for 3 sims (2 voice + data, 1 only data -- for tablets)

They also have a 999 family plan -- 4 sims.

You may want to give it a try.

Last edited by maverick.munish : 4th December 2019 at 15:16. Reason: Edited spelling mistake
Old 4th December 2019, 17:46   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xway View Post
Foolish move by telecom companies to penalize the easiest community i.e. individual consumers or personal users.
While they have so many sources of revenue, they don't monetize them and cry when suffer losses.
Calls...fixed.
Very valid points. Day in Day out, there are so many useless calls which in any ways should be blocked. Wonder why no telecom operator is thriving so reduce such advertisement calls and even messages. Never knew this point about Sim Cards. Am on my second SIM card since 2006/07 as I had ported to Jio from Airtel. Apart from this, while telecom companies are not saints, the base price of 5G is pretty massive. So eventually, prices will shoot up.

The quality of service is a question mark too. As compared to the prices consumers pay, the common concern of poor network is omnipresent since last many years. Things have improved a bit somewhere, and gone bad elsewhere. Without high quality service, higher costs wont make sense.

Last edited by aah78 : 4th December 2019 at 20:23. Reason: Spacing.
Old 4th December 2019, 17:53   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
What options are left for normal subscribers like me who neither need as much mobile data and nor have the call volume to justify spending 200+ for a single number. Jio has no option for no data plans apart from the Jio phone plan. I wouldn't even mind paying by the minute as we used to do not too long ago but can't find any plans for reduced tariff rates or even any mention of normal tariffs even on Airtel plans.
I am in the same boat as you. I don;t use ton loads of data, neither have the need for the massive call minutes.
I seriously miss the lifetime validity days, just topup with a little amount and forget about recharging. :-(

Also whats with the huge amount of SMS'es being bundled with the plans? Seriously, who uses SMS anymore nowadays?

Last edited by Vikalp : 4th December 2019 at 17:54.
Old 4th December 2019, 19:42   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
If BSNL is intelligent instead of increasing tariff like others , they can poach user from other networks especially since they have 4g now. And reclaim some of those lost subscribers
Well said, I've been using BSNL for 9 years now, and I feel their plans till date are the best value for money.
Old 4th December 2019, 19:46   #25
BHPian

Just got a message on my BSNL number. PV186 offers 3GB/day, Unlimited Calls (FUP 250mins/day) and 100 sms/day for 28 days. Real value for money.
Old 4th December 2019, 20:08   #26
BHPian

I see that this is the only industry that runs on offers!. I am really ok if they charge me more for providing quality service. I am ok to pay double (or even triple) the price for the quality of service. Unfortunately, we can not even name one network that is good (or even average).

Airtel's network really sucks at my office and have to come out to take calls, I was frustrated and switched to Jio. Now Jio's network sucks at my home and now, I have to come out of my home to take calls . No, I can't maintain two sims.

I think we want a strong player with a mindset like Apple (sorry if you are not a fan, even I am not!). Apple took all the companies for a roller coaster ride with their iPhone. Everyone started moving in that direction (including Google!). Quality comes with a price and there are takers for it.

Last edited by vijayshouree : 4th December 2019 at 20:30.
Old 4th December 2019, 20:16   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
Just got a message on my BSNL number. PV186 offers 3GB/day, Unlimited Calls (FUP 250mins/day) and 100 sms/day for 28 days. Real value for money.
Currently, I'm using a 1699 plan, which is for 365 days and offers unlimited voice calls and 3GB/day data, which is true value for money.

Last edited by aah78 : 4th December 2019 at 20:38. Reason: Post format fixed.
Old 4th December 2019, 22:26   #28
BHPian

Is it just me, or have others been feeling that Jio's network has coverage actually been decreasing/performing badly. I'm getting no or worse signal reception and slower internet speed in areas I previously used to get?

Are they reducing tower or something to save costs?

Last edited by ZenMaster : 4th December 2019 at 22:28.
Old 4th December 2019, 23:05   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayshouree View Post
Airtel's network really sucks at my office and have to come out to take calls, I was frustrated and switched to Jio. Now Jio's network sucks at my home and now, I have to come out of my home to take calls . No, I can't maintain two sims.
Oh boy another fellow sufferer. Jio was and is poor in my office but Airtel works there. Airtel was horrible at my home to an extent that I was unable to attend any calls from home unless I was in the farthest corner of the balcony.

I ported to Jio and was happy for a year till 3 months back they messed things up and now their network has no signal indoors. Their canned replies are also particularly infuriating as they preface it by saying how sorry they are at a disappointing customer experience but then that's where their gibberish starts (check if SIM is in 4g enabled slot, check if you have valid plan and what not) without once acknowledging issue of the user. I think they don't even read the complaint. They certainly don't comprehend!

I carry both a Jio and an Airtel SIM and neither work at my home. BSNL sadly will never compete due to the political compulsions so I don't see any other choice except to live in my balcony.

I'll kill to have a Google Fi type of network in India.

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 4th December 2019 at 23:09.
Old 5th December 2019, 07:00   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
If BSNL is intelligent
If BSNL is 'left unmanipulated'. BSNL's management comprising ITS officers who report to ministers is manipulated in to taking an uncompetitive route to give a wide birth to the 'profitable' private players. These private players will make us pay though our noses in the following years.

I would like to put up my general view not in reply to the quote. We should learn how to act on our hate against perceived ineptitude to our profit or we will end up getting manipulated to our chagrin.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 5th December 2019 at 07:08.

Most Viewed