Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2020, 16:43   #1
BHPian

DIY: Smart Home Water Irrigation System

So one fine day our gardener who worked for many years call it quits and said he was unable to work anymore. It was sad to see him go, but it became like a main driver to setup something to take care of our small home garden. To get the wheels rolling I tried to chalk out our requirements:
  • Drip irrigation to the planters and small trees
  • Mini sprinkler for the small lawn
  • Impact sprinklers for the larger lawn
  • Automation/Smart controller for the above
  • Automatic control of the miniature fountain
Like always my first pit stop was Amazon India and I did come across some good products to set things up. One of the suppliers went by the name "PepperAgro" based in Bangalore. I decided to call them and see if they can support me in brainstorming session. Luckily the guy was very good, I explained my requirements and he helped me prepare a shopping cart and also threw in some good discount. The stuff arrived like a week after and then it was experimenting time.

1. Drip Kit
The first installation was the drip kit.This was complete DIY. The parts were simple and easy to setup and it took like three hours to get it done. To power up the drip kit, a solenoid valve was installed to control the operation. The basic setup is like:

The basic blocks of the system are:
DIY: Smart Home Water Irrigation System-picture2.png

Now the attachment is simple, you punch a hole on the primary hose and attach the pin connector. To the pin connector the feeder hose is connected and finally on the other end attach the emitter which would be on the plant.
DIY: Smart Home Water Irrigation System-picture1.png

The complete network would look something like:
DIY: Smart Home Water Irrigation System-picture3.png

Points to note here are:
  1. The emitter can be adjusted to regulate flow.
  2. To make the system smart there are various options available. The site listed WiFi enabled water valves (more expensive).
  3. I chose to go with a solenoid valve which would be controlled via a smart switch. (saved some Rupees here surely)
  4. This system doesn't need a pump, works on normal overhead tank water. I didn't try with the pump but may be the higher pressure might break the network.
  5. Some plastic glue can be added on the pin connector and primary hose to have that perfect seal. I chose not too as the hose was running on ground so some drops there would irrigate the soil there.
2. Mini Sprinklers (for small lawn)
This was a basic sprinkler, full 360 degree coverage up to a radius of 3 ft. It also works on tap water but advisable to run it with a low power pump with valve to regulate the water flow.

This is the sprinkler. The stake keeps it in position in the ground. Full plastic construction. This was also bought from PepperAgro.
DIY: Smart Home Water Irrigation System-pictureminsprink.png

For installation, it is done with hose. Once done looks like this:
DIY: Smart Home Water Irrigation System-img_7822.jpeg

3. Impact Sprinkler (for a bit bigger lawn)
This lawn has a bit of an odd shape so the placement and throw of the sprinklers were a bit dicey. After some scenarios, this the plan I went with. 2 sprinklers, with ability to adjust the flow and sweep area. (For the area outside the lawn, yes, the water goes out but there are walls and plants on 2 more sides so it's only wasted a bit on the walkway)
DIY: Smart Home Water Irrigation System-capture3.jpg

Now, the biggest problem I had. I just assumed a normal 0.5HP mono bloc should be able to feed these sprinklers and boy, how wrong I was! After the setup I see the sprinklers working very erratically and pump grunting. So, if anyone is planning to install these, I'd recommend to make some basic pressure calculations.
  • The sprinkler had a recommended operating pressure range which was noted. Is better to keep the unit in psi. Taking an example for the sprinkler I used the pressure required was about 45 psi. Next, with that data I used another tool to get the flow rate achievable from the sprinkler nozzles : http://irrigation.wsu.edu/Content/Ca...quirements.php . The obtained value was ~3.7 gpm. (The nozzle diameter can be measured, in my case was 0.1378 inch)
  • With that add the approximate pressure drop on the piping (this is not too much actually). One can refer to the available resources on the net to find this, if not can be calculated manually by the Darcy-Weisbach equation. This the link I used. https://www.rainbird.com/professiona...on-loss-charts . My piping was around 80 ft so the pressure drop was around 6 psi. (With 1/2" Schedule 80 PVC pipe). Remember here that bends increase the pressure loss so it's good to keep a safety margin.
  • Last add other height the pipe has to cover (like if is running via a pillar). Use the famous oilfield formula to calculate the head (Pressure psi = 0.052 * Height ft * Water Density lb/gal)
  • Now we have all the pressure drop: (45 * 2) + 6 or 96 psi. Now to convert to water head again use the oilfield formula to find height. If you were following my numbers it should be 221ft or 68m and my flow rate was 3.7 gpm or 840 Liters/hour. That's all the data you need to buy the correct pump. The dealer would be able to advise the correct pump when this is mentioned, "840 L/H at 68m" . In my case it came in the form of a 1.5 HP mono bloc pump from V-Guard (Part Number: VSPAD-FH-180). It is always better to up size and keep a bypass valve on the pump discharge.
This is the picture of the sprinkler I installed. The bottom thread is 3/4". Got it off Amazon India for Rs. 500 per piece. Got one extra and I wasn't disappointed as one refused to turn properly.
DIY: Smart Home Water Irrigation System-sprinkler.png

The installation was done with help of a plumber who ran the 1/2" PVC Schedule 80 pipes from the pump to the respective points of the sprinklers. The installation looks like this:
DIY: Smart Home Water Irrigation System-sprinklerinstalled.png

4. Smart System
In this post, will only cover the smart system which is controlling the drip system. I am awaiting on the other one which controls the larger sprinkler pump motor, which is delayed due to the nationwide lock down.

The prerequisite of installing this module is to have a modular switch board with 2 free gangs. The module is made by an Indian company called Smarteefi. The build may not look as good as the Chinese counterparts and then the price is also higher than them but these are reliable, have been using a set for over year in another room and they are stable and robust.

For the installation it is highly recommended a professional electrician as it deals with tinkering with the mains. Somehow I managed it albeit a small shock! The L and N cables go to the mains supply and L1 L2 go for the individual sockets on the board.
DIY: Smart Home Water Irrigation System-smart-sitch1.png

Once the module is powered up, we can use the app (Smarteefi) to add a new device. Once detected, the Wifi setup is done and it is ready to use, quite simple IMO. Now, whatever you name the devices are to be next added to Alexa so it can made made cooler - "Alexa, please water my plants!". After these the scheduler option can be used to automate the whole process. I set it up to run everyday in early morning and evening without any intervention. The company claims the scheduling works even without internet. and The screenshot collage shows the integration process overview.
DIY: Smart Home Water Irrigation System-smart-switch2.png

5. Miniature Fountain Controller
This is not a smart controller and actually the wire is run to another place, so I didn't want to spend again on the smart controller so went for a cheaper option of a timed switch, also procured from Amazon. I set it to run for 30 mins everyday. It cannot be controlled via app or Alexa. It does have a internal battery to keep the scheduling in memory in case of power cuts.
DIY: Smart Home Water Irrigation System-fountain-control..jpeg

The total setup cost around Rs. 30,000 with the following break-up:
DIY: Smart Home Water Irrigation System-cost2.jpg

Now for a walk through of the complete installation...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/_93AD2BySdM?start=1239

Last edited by chiro3110 : 5th April 2020 at 11:43.
chiro3110 is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 07:56   #2
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

Brilliant DIY! Ideal for homes!
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 15:31   #3
BHPian

Re: DIY: Smart Home Water Irrigation System

Superbly done and looks pretty impressive. Just sent the link of this thread to a friend who is really into gardening. Thanks!
Old 6th April 2020, 15:37   #4
BHPian

Awesome! I'm in the process of setting up a very basic drip irrigation system for my terrace garden! Thanks to you, I'm tempted to make it a little more sophisticated like yours ahaha!
Old 6th April 2020, 16:24   #5
BHPian

Thanks for nice write up. I tried some time ago for my garden, but failed.
I started with very limited budget and had other constrains. I also have two garden areas, now looking at this thread i am tempted to do this. One more on my bucket list is a 3feet x 8 feet koi pond.

I am tempted to try again.
Old 6th April 2020, 19:13   #6
BHPian

I use a similar setup in my balcony garden, the controller has a timer that would water my plants at a decided time everyday. The timer works on a 9Watt battery and it runs for 2-3 months easy, the piece of mind that this system gives me when I am travelling to native is priceless.
psmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 17:35   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
Superbly done and looks pretty impressive. Just sent the link of this thread to a friend who is really into gardening. Thanks!
Thank you! Hopefully they find it interesting too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwasvr View Post
Awesome! I'm in the process of setting up a very basic drip irrigation system for my terrace garden! Thanks to you, I'm tempted to make it a little more sophisticated like yours ahaha!
Thanks. Hopefully your project is going great and almost getting complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groom View Post
Thanks for nice write up. I tried some time ago for my garden, but failed.
I started with very limited budget and had other constrains. I also have two garden areas, now looking at this thread i am tempted to do this. One more on my bucket list is a 3feet x 8 feet koi pond.

I am tempted to try again.
Thank you. Well the budget raise was mostly due to the long distance from the available tap and plants. Normally solo drip system are very cheap to buy and easy to install. And, you can always opt with the solenoid valve over a smart controller to save some more money on the controlling unit. But do make a good research, as the prices would vary a lot. The koi pond will be a brilliant addition and if with other fish/plants would be an ecosystem on its own!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmenon View Post
I use a similar setup in my balcony garden, the controller has a timer that would water my plants at a decided time everyday. The timer works on a 9Watt battery and it runs for 2-3 months easy, the piece of mind that this system gives me when I am travelling to native is priceless.
That is very nice. With a good water supply that would be the most ideal scenario. Sadly I have to depend partially on municipal and partly bore well.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th April 2020 at 16:45. Reason: Removing unwanted spacing.
chiro3110 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 12:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiro3110 View Post

Now for a walk through of the complete installation...
Thank you for this thread. Set up is excellent

Your garden looks nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmenon View Post
Am looking at setting up a similar set up in my apartment balcony. Can you share more details and a photo? Thanks in advance
mallumowgli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 15:19   #9

Wow! 30k is a big amount. I have been using a similar sort of system for about 12 yrs now! I have experimented with about 3 water timer over this time span. Each of them roughly costing ~2-3k. The main advantage as mentioned by @psmenon is when you are out of town.

But to be honest, the real fun in gardening is watering your plants everyday with your own hands and watch them grow everyday than relying on technology. In fact you will notice that plants grow really well when you do it yourself. Its like they too sense that someone is taking care of them :-)

So while at home I switch off the system & use regular water pipe.

Below was a handy video which was shot about 10 yrs back. The garden and plants have changed a lot since then.

While I was renovating a year back I installed this smart one from smartefii. I must say, its a good product after a year now

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07HKKCWZ6?...711_E_301_dt_1
wankhade is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 16:58   #10
BHPian

What a superb thread chiro3110. The smart drip system is amazing and you have some really beautiful botany there.
This has given me many ideas for the plants on my terrace. I'll try to do a complete DIY.
P.S. another thanks for sharing this now, as the lockdown has extended to 3rd of May, , you've given, many of us, something to play with!

Cheers!
Archie_27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 17:34   #11
BHPian

Since my balcony garden is pretty compact, I made myself a more hands-on/dirty solution. I use a Raspberry Pi 3B that runs a small DC Water Pump through a simple relay based circuit. I use the Raspberry Pi to power on the relays at a given time every day, which triggers the motor. The motor then pumps water through a small custom drip irrigation system that has a few emitters. Since I do not have any water pipes nor any plumbing in my balcony, I use a 20L Bisleri can as a reservoir, which suffices during the vacations. I plan to upgrade the reservoir to a 100L drum and add moisture sensors to indicate an empty water tank.

Water Pump
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Irrigation Kit
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The small balcony garden with six pots ...

DIY: Smart Home Water Irrigation System-1.jpg

Raspberry Pi with the relay circuit ...

DIY: Smart Home Water Irrigation System-2.jpg

LEDs are lit up when the system is functional..

DIY: Smart Home Water Irrigation System-3.jpg

Re-purposed drinking water can ...

DIY: Smart Home Water Irrigation System-4.jpg

The Water pump, now full of grime and dirt after two years duty, still ticks pretty well ...

DIY: Smart Home Water Irrigation System-5.jpg

Emitter on a small pot ...

DIY: Smart Home Water Irrigation System-6.jpg

I use multiple emitters on a larger pot, as I do not want to experiment with flow control at this point and also helps to keep the project simple...

DIY: Smart Home Water Irrigation System-7.jpg

Best, Subbu
asbshyam is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th April 2020, 14:13   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Thank you for this thread. Set up is excellent
Your garden looks nice

Am looking at setting up a similar set up in my apartment balcony. Can you share more details and a photo? Thanks in advance
Thank you @mallumowgli. You can refer to the post below [link (DIY: Smart Home Water Irrigation System)] as well as till @psmenon posts their setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankhade View Post
But to be honest, the real fun in gardening is watering your plants everyday with your own hands and watch them grow everyday than relying on technology. In fact you will notice that plants grow really well when you do it yourself. Its like they too sense that someone is taking care of them :-)

So while at home I switch off the system & use regular water pipe.
That is a very beautiful thing you said about plants growing with affection. Your setup is also very splendid a lot of plants and flowers over there. In your video the starting point shows the controller, if I'm not wrong? Is it a timer like valve where you can punch in Date-Time to be automatic? Also, with the video, I think, the pipe is moving up so are you also employing a pump, or just the final level is still below your overhead tank?

One thing which ran across my mind - safety. Hopefully there are no walkways near the terrace perimeter, because if a bad storm comes by the planters might topple off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie_27 View Post
What a superb thread chiro3110. The smart drip system is amazing and you have some really beautiful botany there.
This has given me many ideas for the plants on my terrace. I'll try to do a complete DIY.
P.S. another thanks for sharing this now, as the lockdown has extended to 3rd of May, , you've given, many of us, something to play with!

Cheers!
Thank you! Yes it did help in spending some days during the lockdown. But, as you know most online retailers have stopped delivery now so getting the spare parts might not work out properly unless you can get a local retailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbshyam View Post
Since my balcony garden is pretty compact, I made myself a more hands-on/dirty solution. I use a Raspberry Pi 3B that runs a small DC Water Pump through a simple relay based circuit. I use the Raspberry Pi to power on the relays at a given time every day, which triggers the motor. The motor then pumps water through a small custom drip irrigation system that has a few emitters. Since I do not have any water pipes nor any plumbing in my balcony, I use a 20L Bisleri can as a reservoir, which suffices during the vacations. I plan to upgrade the reservoir to a 100L drum and add moisture sensors to indicate an empty water tank.

Thank you Subbu for sharing the setup. It is very cool! I do have a lot of questions on it, so let me enumerate.

1. The electronics setup looks neat and bears all signs of a DIY, which is so amazing! Did you follow a schematic somewhere, or all on your own?

2. You mentioned, the humidity sensor is on the water reservoir. Have you also considered putting similar sensor on the planters as well? You could code a logic like with the humidity is below a certain value, then if water is available in reservoir, then start the pump? My uncle, who is a lot into gardening gave an advice that too much water is also bad, the aim is to keep the soil moist. Like if the soil is dry before the next watering schedule, then would need to play with the quantity or frequency.

3. How are you waterproofing the electronic setup?

4. What are your power source(s)? Does the Raspberry-Pi have enough juice over the Digitial IO's to run the relay as well? Is there any contingency if there is a power failure? How is water pump powered?

5. Does it also have a alarm feature, like if you water reservoir is empty? Like light based or can also connect to your phone/GPRS/SMS ?

I must say, I am so enthused by the setup. The more DIY it looks, it just bears the feeling the you conceptualized something and made it, rather than going for a off-the-shelf option.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th April 2020 at 16:47. Reason: Back to back posts merged, quoted post trimmed (a large quoted post inconveniences mobile users). Thanks!
chiro3110 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2020, 18:12   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiro3110 View Post
Thank you @mallumowgli. You can refer to the post below [link (DIY: Smart Home Water Irrigation System)] as well as till @psmenon posts their setup.
Yes. That was the first water timer I had got from US. If I recall the brand was Gilmour or something. It was a mechanical timer rotating a knob. It got spoiled (Its electronic parts) as my kiddo spilled water on it. It worked without any issues for 3-4 yrs.

The second one was from Orbit. First amazon purchase from US around 2013.
https://www.amazon.in/Orbit-62001-Ga.../dp/B0006ZI6H8

It worked for around 5 yrs. It has a solenoid based valve with a rubber membrane which deteriorated.

The latest one is this. (Haven't got a chance to open it, but it should be again solenoid + rubber membrane )

https://www.amazon.com/Orbit-62061Z-.../dp/B004INGS8S

I live on top floor and our society water tank is another one floor up. So I get adequate pressure back to push the water from bathroom to terrace or like you said, my delivery point is atleast 10 feet below the tank. And having the timer in the bathroom protects it from harsh sun on terrace.

Yeap, that wall is well off the road below. As such never experienced a toppling in last 12 yrs as the pots are quite heavy. Now I have got rid of all those small ones over the years. The ones that remain are Mango, Chikoo & Lemon and these are now in 200 ltrs plastic drums cut in half. They have grown quite big too now.

Last edited by ampere : 16th April 2020 at 23:31. Reason: trimmed quoted post
wankhade is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2020, 23:10   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbshyam View Post
Since my balcony garden is pretty compact, I made myself a more hands-on/dirty solution. I use a Raspberry Pi 3B that runs a small DC Water Pump through a simple relay based circuit.

Best, Subbu

May I ask you, why Raspberry Pi and not a simple Arduino? It's a lot cheaper unless you already have a few Pis lying around taking up multiple duties. To me, a Pi just for this seems over powered
vijai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 12:05   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijai View Post
May I ask you, why Raspberry Pi and not a simple Arduino? It's a lot cheaper unless you already have a few Pis lying around taking up multiple duties. To me, a Pi just for this seems over powered
I had the one Pi already available, the Pi is almost 4 years old, while the garden project is only 2 years old. I also had prior exposure to Python and Linux, so starting with a Pi was the easiest way around.

Best, Subbu
asbshyam is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks