Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2020, 23:52   #61
BHPian

Re: Bright side of the current Coronavirus crisis

Among all the positives, it’s a tedious task to keep the kids engaged in a healthy way during this challenging time. As parents, we should take the responsibility to keep kids away from screen or minimize screen time as much as possible and keep them occupied with indoor games, or read comics, young world or encourage them to start writing stories, poems, do painting or involve them in house hold activities. It’s easier said than done, I tried my best and failed miserably but will not give up.

Hello Parents, how are you keeping your kids engaged? and share your tips and tricks to keep them away from screen for upcoming weeks or months.
Old 28th March 2020, 07:30   #62
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovins2004 View Post
Hello Parents, how are you keeping your kids engaged? and share your tips and tricks to keep them away from screen for upcoming weeks or months.
There is a separate thread on this topic, please post there:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...-lockdown.html (Keeping children engaged during the curfew / lockdown)
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 07:44   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
And the air quality data reflects the same: Below 200 AQI all over India.

Dramatic improvement! Seeing green in NCR and around. See for yourself!
Attached Thumbnails
Bright side of the current Coronavirus crisis-airq2.png  

Bright side of the current Coronavirus crisis-airq.png  

ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 10:58   #64
BHPian

I can't remember the last time I sat on my terrace and admired the view around. The blue sky, the clouds, the mountains around.

Bright side of the current Coronavirus crisis-img_20200327_171748.jpg
Udit is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 11:33   #65
Senior - BHPian

I have been WFH from the past 9 months, so it was not new to me.
But now with my son's day care closed, my wife and I are spending more time with him, it helps that my parents are here with us to take care of him when we are working.

My day starts with the sounds of birds chirping, there is less pollution and dust as the metro construction is stopped due to lockdown.

Also as an upside due to uncertainty, I am getting a lot of enquires for Leadership Consulting and my calendar is booked.
Though the hiring is slow, there are few firms who are hiring and I am helping as much as possible.
Old 28th March 2020, 16:04   #66
BHPian

Another noteworthy bright side of individuals and corporates - Creativity and Compassion Continue to Combat the Coronavirus

Quote:
Singapore's Veredus Laboratories, for example, said it will soon release "Lab-on-Chip" kits to test patients for three kinds of coronavirus within two hours. Four American startups had also launched at-home tests for COVID-19, until the Food and Drug Administration unwisely demanded they stop issuing or testing kits.

only a few weeks after the beginning of this outbreak in the United States, many pharmaceutical firms worked at lightning speed to develop a vaccine. Last week, the first doses of an experimental COVID-19 vaccine were administered to a group of volunteers.

A group of American apparel and textile companies like Fruit of the Loom and Hanesbrands came together almost overnight to create a medical face mask supply chain to help hospitals, health care workers and citizens battling the virus's spread.

Creativity and selflessness are on display everywhere. In Canada, an anesthetist managed to turn one life-saving ventilator into nine. In Italy, a company used its 3-D printer to manufacture much-needed ventilator valves to be used in that country's overwhelmed hospitals.
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 06:45   #67
BHPian

Personally speaking - not a WFH person. In my role, it's all about connects and intelligence gathering and connecting the dots. Water cooler talk, elevator conversations and quick meetings is what makes things tick. So - not enjoying it.

However, I've started thinking what, once this ends, the new normals are going to be. Most restaurants have started offering contactless curbside and takeout. Personal grocery pickers for online shoppers is increasing. What hitherto was unpractical or clients were reluctant to try out (remote working, odd hours, access control) is being necessitated for continuity.

Bright side - finding out small imperfections around the house. Yard work is one way to be active and neighbors are doing the same as well.

Last edited by mmxylorider : 29th March 2020 at 07:09.
Old 29th March 2020, 07:37   #68
BHPian

Life has slowed down. There is no rush to get up, get the kid ready for school, get ready yourself. Mornings are much calmer and positive.
Old 29th March 2020, 08:14   #69
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Here's another "bright" side, quite literally. Thanks to the clear skies & zero pollution, Venus was looking brighter than ever last night.

Bright side of the current Coronavirus crisis-20200328-19.57.03.jpg

Bright side of the current Coronavirus crisis-20200328-19.56.59.jpg

Bright side of the current Coronavirus crisis-20200328-19.27.19.jpg
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 08:17   #70
BHPian

Will add, such situations make you appreciate the small things. We have a shelter in place advisory and stepping out is ok as long as social distancing is in place. Going out for pickup or grocery run, the tolerance level in people has increased. Being patient, waiting your turn to get inside the store is now the norm. No such thing now as being late for a movie or catching up with friends at some place.

Rather than a work life balance, this has enabled a nice work-life integration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Here's another "bright" side, quite literally. Thanks to the clear skies & zero pollution, Venus was looking brighter than ever last night.
Getting that a lot. Friends in the Los Angeles area are experiencing air quality and noise levels not seen before.

It must be quite interesting for people staying close to the railway tracks or the approach path of the airports to not hear any noise. Maybe others can comment...

NOTE FROM MOD -
Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Sheel : 29th March 2020 at 08:53. Reason: Back to back posts.
mmxylorider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 09:32   #71
Senior - BHPian

Sharing my experience:

1. Lots of extra time -: Unfortunately (or fortunately) this is not the case with me. Turns out I am putting in more hours when working from home. My workload has increased many fold (not sure how ) and I am probably clocking around 10-12 hours a day. I wake up at 7 and there are usually a few mails that I need to answer to and thats how it starts. Reading the mails I sit at my workstation and BAM!! The next thing I know I have started my day already. This goes on till 7-8pm. Obviously, there are intermittent breaks (e.g. breakfast, coffee, shower). Actually, I see this as a good thing. With too much free time, I would probably had gotten bored. This way it would be easier to wade through the 21 days of lock down.

2. Cleaner environment - 100%. This is the only thing I am very very happy about. I see a blue sky everyday now and lots of stars in the night (and a moon and a planet ). Not in the habit of seeing a sky this blue (I live in Noida/Delhi).

3. Reconnect with others - This is actually not happening. Considering everyone has varied levels of work so most of my conversations are "Hi/Hello. How are you doing". Sad. I know.

4. Innovation and work improvement - Nope. Not in my case.

5. Reflect on your thoughts -: Eh! Yes. Also, reading books. Although the workload is crazy, I find some time during the day to read books (and some other random stuff).

Last edited by Pancham : 29th March 2020 at 09:34.
Pancham is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 11:35   #72
Senior - BHPian

I work for a private investment bank. Experience here has been the opposite to majority have come across that is;

1) Getting more time with family
2) Getting to think more about some improvements
3) giving more time for your own hobby

I’m working for almost 16-17 hours on the computer and keeping my staff connected through all times to get the work done. It’s been exhausting time for me and the team supporting the business as we work for US hours making it overnight shift.

But, respite is seeing nature healing itself and feels like nature wanted this break from humans and the extortion done by us from Mother Nature.

God bless Nature and hope she forgives us for exploiting her resources so much all these years. I also wish our nation and the world defeats the virus threat soon enough to keep us all safe.

Hope governments across the world makes this as a mandatory off for nature to get its privacy from humans quite often.

Stay safe everyone

Regards

RV

Last edited by gururajrv : 29th March 2020 at 11:38.
gururajrv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 00:47   #73
Senior - BHPian

On the positive note, few peacocks were spotted on road in Bangalore:

Last edited by msdivy : 30th March 2020 at 00:50.
Old 2nd April 2020, 19:47   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Covid 19 impact: Brighter side for the Auto Industry ?

Personal vehicle sales may surge in China, public transport could take a hit. Would the pattern be seen in India too ?
Quote:
A recent study by global market research and consulting firm Ipsos has brought forth a positive indication for the Chinese automotive industry. The report finds that over 66 percent respondents prefer a private vehicle for transportation after the Coronavirus pandemic, compared to only 34 percent respondents showed preference for private cars before the outbreak, indicating a shifting preference from public transport on the back of healthcare.
Bright side of the current Coronavirus crisis-eulof6oueaazu4a.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd April 2020 at 19:55.
Old 6th April 2020, 16:17   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Indeed, the air quality has decreased significantly, and many more stars are visible in the night sky. I never thought I would be able to do astrophotography from my house balcony!
Attached Thumbnails
Bright side of the current Coronavirus crisis-sequator-output-3_all-frames-merged-processedjpgidentifiedsigned.jpg  

Bright side of the current Coronavirus crisis-sequator-output-2_trails_all-frames-merged_processed_signed_2.jpg  

akshay87kumar is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks