Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2020, 21:45   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bright side of the current Coronavirus crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerus View Post
And not to forget lesser people on roads = lesser accidents.
Hey, that's a good point. Road accident deaths in India are about 150,000 a year or 410 deaths a day. Let's assume the lockdown cuts down the number of road accident deaths by 90%.

This means, the 20 day lockdown will save around 7,500 lives!

Last edited by SmartCat : 26th March 2020 at 21:52.
SmartCat is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 22:26   #47
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Innovation and work improvement -[/b] With the unexpected work from home situation, many organisations have resorted to lesser supervision (leading to more autonomy, faster approvals etc.)
Request you all to please add to this list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
The biggest barrier to this is 'Stereotype-Indian-Manager-Mentality'.
Obviously I'm not talking about non-IT jobs or those IT jobs that require people to work from an office.
Thanks for this interesting thread Blackwasp. Id like to delve into the WFH theme that swings between two positions in these discussions.
1. Folks that can work from home must.
2. Those who can't will need to get back to how things were.

The reality is that many of us are somewhere in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Maybe an ironic thing to say, but this lock-down is definitely going to help improve the health of a lot of people-Especially those who have had to commute long hours daily in the cities with its high levels of pollution
Yes - both physical health and mental well-being from not being stressed out in traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerus View Post
I think instead of wrecking our brains on finding new ways to save our planet, the first step introduced should be work from home, in countries like India where the infrastructure is crap, it is a must, as in most cities there's no scope of further development, the roads are going to remain this wide as there are housing societies and shops and malls which cannot be demolished to widen the roads.
Precisely. And this is where large conglomerates now have the opportunity to redefine what office and work entails. And changes driven by large scale private-sector employers will pave the way for smaller organizations and (more significantly) the public sector and administrative services to follow suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SreeT View Post
The fact that we are talking about something positive about the thing that has already killed 21000 people and will have an adverse economic affect on many more millions is frankly disturbing. Yes the streets are clear and the air is good, but what about the economic impact? Besides, a village already has all those things without the murderous pandemic. You wanted a better life so you live in a city, so you just have to accept that there will be other people wanting the same as you. And without them, there won't be a better life for anybody.
You can't have your cake and eat it too.
That's a bold and honest assessment. But there are examples of cities and towns that have become nicer places to live over the years. Because a sizeable number of inhabitants wanted things to improve and drove their elected administrators to get things changed. Which fits nicely into the WFH narrative..

Quote:
Originally Posted by groom View Post
Beautiful thread, this sparked the optimist in me.
Yes indeed there are lot of positive flip sides to the current situation.
In addition I am working from home 3 times a week - which gives me additional 2hrs per day for "ME TIME".
Evenings, i prepare a healthy joyous and simple dinner and eat with lots of humility and with prayers that every moment is precious and beautiful. _/\_
And we should strive to keep these positives after the situation improves.

The larger point about WFH is that some of us maybe able to consider a permanent home office set-up after this storm blows over. But many among us may only be able to work from home a couple of times a week. Or even a month. The associated term is 'mobile office' and if organizations create a governance framework around this concept it will help reduce traffic and enhance employee satisfaction.

The other topic that complements mobile-office is a four-day work week. Organizations that've experimented with this format have had positive results.

http://www.businessinsider.de/intern...-11/?r=US&IR=T

Id rather work 8.5 or 9 hrs X 4 days Vs 8 hrs X 5 days. And studies indicate that the reduced time is offset (or potentially improved) by gains in productivity, motivation and process optimization - like Microsoft limiting duration of meetings.

I believe mobile office + 4-day week is a feasible option. And its great to see one recently elected PM in Europe throwing her weight behind these ideas - at a time when Gen Z's are starting to enter the workforce with Millennials as leaders. The time is right.
Zed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 22:40   #48
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
We should avoid getting too emotional IMO. We all know about the negative effects of Covid-19 Pandemic but it does not mean that we can not talk about a few positives(change in a good way), which may have emerged out of it.

It will be difficult for people who are too emotional to comment on this thread, however, the more practical people can continue to state their observation. The thing is, it doesn't matter whether we discuss it or not, the changes which are being discussed on this thread are already taking place. Talking about these changes will not change anything. No one here is wishing that this Pandemic continues and its real(negative) effects are being discussed in multiple threads here on the forum.

My observation/bright side-

There are times when we all get emotional and are filled with ultra nationalism, especially during the times of a terrorist attack, ceasefire violation etc. And there are times, when many of us must have thought that-'Heck, just get it over with. Let us have a war and decide who is the victor and who is superior'. At least I have had these thoughts.

This Pandemic has given me a taste of what a full fledged war and war related emergency would be like, that is, if we are not destroyed by a nuclear weapon first.

While I always used to calm down after having the above thoughts, it was mainly due to the account of the number of innocent people who will die. This Pandemic has given me a completely different view of why war can never ever be anything but the last option, as good as being 'not an option'.
I fell you haven't understood what I'm saying. I'm not sure what you mean by the second part either.

Let me explain in detail. In my opinion:

Saying empty roads are nice is okay.

Saying empty roads is a positive side effect of a pandemic is not okay. The roads are empty because people can't do their jobs anymore. They might not be able to feed their families anymore. They might be sick and about to lose their life. These empty roads are a result of pain and suffering. There is nothing positive about it.
Old 26th March 2020, 23:05   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, a lot has already been said about the clean environment and spending time with family. I for one have these points to add:
1. The lockdown has provided the perfect excuse to go back to your hobbies, the ones which you left because of paucity of time. In my case, I have gone back to gardening and having a gala time tending to the plants and saplings.

2. That old book you ordered but never found time to read is back on the table again. Kind of feels nice to soak in the sun and having a nice read. Right now, OPEN- the Andre Agassi saga is what I am reading for now.

3. Gone back to the hostel and mess days of the 90’s again. Adding a helping hand to the household chores feels good again!
Old 26th March 2020, 23:06   #50
Senior - BHPian

I love to see the bright side of all things. Here's what I've enjoyed so far:
1. Families engaging with kids. It is simply too nice to see the family taking opportunities to walk outside
2. Redefine WFH. Our growth over 5 decades has been unsustainable. I'm waiting to see the companies reduce their office footprint. Ex: Office space for 50 people when the office has 200 employees
3. Kindness- People helping their seniors, the poor, and other needy people.
4. People pausing, taking a moment to breathe and appreciate everything in life
5. Empty roads. Bicycling in the South Bay is a breeze now!
6. Low vehicular & industrial pollution
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 00:05   #51
BHPian

For me even reconnecting with Team BHP! It had been super long with very hectic schedule. I hadnt even logged in here.

Couple of things for me in addition what some of you have shared.

1. Human beings ability to make quick decision in time of crisis. At my office in my role i hadnt made so many decisions in a long time. It makes me wonder if we unnecessarily complicate things and add layers if collaboration. Ponder on it. Even countries which took tough and bold decisions sooner are on the brighter side.

2. It has made me think and go back to our history to study and understand our ancient rituals, customs and practices and how they were scientifically developed keeping all aspects in mind. (Not trying to be religious) think about it - eating at home and freshly cooked food, social connections at home, even drinking water, our slokas, vedas and mantras and its powers/meaning, how nature was most important in their decision making, etc...

Stay safe and take care!

Cheers!
Arun
arun.kulkarni is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 10:09   #52
BHPian

Another interesting take on the current situation in the world:

Old 27th March 2020, 10:33   #53
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SreeT View Post
I fell you haven't understood what I'm saying. I'm not sure what you mean by the second part either.

Let me explain in detail. In my opinion:

Saying empty roads are nice is okay.

Saying empty roads is a positive side effect of a pandemic is not okay. The roads are empty because people can't do their jobs anymore. They might not be able to feed their families anymore. They might be sick and about to lose their life. These empty roads are a result of pain and suffering. There is nothing positive about it.
Your post shows your emotional way of thinking. We all know that the empty roads are there because people need to be protected from the SARS-COV-2 which has affected many people and there are multiple threads discussing the same. For most of us, there is no issue is saying/writing the word 'positive' even when we are dealing with this Pandemic. We don't think that we are doing a crime or are deriving pleasure by just the mention of the word 'positive'. You may feel differently. Can't fault you for the way you think. Peace!

However, more importantly, all of us have our opinions and we are free to express in ways we see fit, subject to the exception provisions under our Constitution. I do agree that if some state official starts saying 'positive effects of Corona virus' it may not go down very well with the public but that is more due to the virtue of their position. At a personal level, at a forum level, there is no issue in discussing the same. No one here is promoting and propagating SARS-COV-2. We are merely stating the already present changes(positives in this specific thread) which are already taking place.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 10:57   #54
BHPian

In my opinion, the biggest benefits that come out of this pandemic will be the positive changes that the society, and most importantly the children will learn.

1. Personal hygeine: People regularly was their hands after going outside their houses. Also, since this virus spreads through body fluids, I hope people will stop spitting on roads. This virus has the potential to change habits of societies.

2. Less activity=less accidents People have stayed indoors, and that surely has saved some lives. People who have long commutes will either get time to reset their body and mind, or go crazy if they have small kids.

3. Respect for personal space. People will hopefully carry forward the habit of not crowding in public places, or in a queue.

4. Most people will be at home without any help for completing household chores. I hope people realize the value of the people who help them, and treat them with a lot more respect after the lockdown

Last edited by KL01toKA03 : 27th March 2020 at 11:27.
KL01toKA03 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 12:41   #55
BHPian

Lots of positives on the personal front:

1. 24X7 with family
2. Less of TV as nothing other than Corona news
3. More time cooking together, playing indoor games reminds me of 1980's
4. Groceries and other essentials are at available at a fixed time, hence the day is more disciplined
5. Planning for what to cook is done diligently
6. Savings, as no eating out, no fuel costs, no movie outings, no shopping for dumping in the cupboard
7. Fresh air: Entire North India is <75 AQI
8. Birds chirping all day are so soothing
gauravdgr8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 12:51   #56
Senior - BHPian

What can I say? I haven't taken a month of ever in my life! After having taken a month of we're made to sit at home. At least we a family of 5 gel very well and we've found newer bonding: watching TV together, having meals together. I don't set alarms any more, get up when I want, not many phone calls, no one rings the door bell, these days. We all pitch in when it comes to household chores. We're discovering ourselves more than before. I have to say there's no man of the house, woman is the supreme being. We all take orders from my wife! She's doing a great job. As I'm typing there's an aroma of the Vatha Kulambu wafting up to the first floor...Yeah things couldn't be this perfect. I used to have a strict life style, have been this Bohemian ever in my life..my eating habits haven't changed and I'm strict about that and exercise as usual. But how long can this go on...to be continued

Last edited by Durango Dude : 27th March 2020 at 12:53.
Durango Dude is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 13:33   #57
BHPian

The only bright side of this virus in my case has been that Wine shops, bars, restaurants and paan stalls are closed hence -

1. Stopped smoking completely and since it has been 72 hours plus without any cravings, I think I will be able to beat the habit this time. Also stopped meetha paan completely.
2. Stopped my alcohol consumption.
3. Stopped ordering food from restaurants - I do not trust the hygiene of our restaurant kitchens in the best of times and in a pandemic, I would be a fool to order from them.
3a I am not a fan of street food so it does not factor in anyway.
3b Improving my cooking skills.
4. Begun my reading habit again. Have removed my old Thermodynamics and Mechanics books. Will start reading them again - this time without any exams to prepare for, I guess I will learn something for sure.
Ithaca is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 14:19   #58
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd add a big one - a paradigm shift when it comes to patience, waiting in lines/forming a queue

Culturally, we just don't have it in us to wait for our turn, everywhere people are trying to get ahead faster/taking a short cut, not wanting to stand in lines, heck we don't even want to stop at the Red light!

And now, with the Corona induced lockdown, we're like this...
Bright side of the current Coronavirus crisis-culturelines.jpg

Taken outside a very popular supermarket nearby (the supermarket is the adjacent building with their entrance further ahead on the right) that is almost always overcrowded and causes a lot of slow moving traffic on the main road just outside. And now, we have people standing at a safe distance from each other. The supermarket was allowing people inside in batches of 5 at a time. One of the customers took trouble to bring some white paint and painted the markings for each position in the line

Bottom line, when it comes to such situations, yes we do give up our stubborn/bad habits too.

Last edited by NPV : 27th March 2020 at 14:22.
NPV is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 14:27   #59
Senior - BHPian

Corona - What it taught us?

With Corona outburst, i am at home (WFH) for last 10 days and god only knows how much it will be more. No one in the world expected this in their wildest of dreams, right? I think Corona taught us very important, life long lessons. Below are few -

1 Nothing is urgent in this world, everything can wait, even if it's your marriage.
2 Family is most important asset in the world, not money, home or anything else.
3 We got hard lesson that nothing is permanent. Who would have thought 3 weeks back that oil will come below 30$, share market will crash so much, life will come to standstill, etc.
4 Everyone should be independent, should know all things like cooking, washing clothes, washing dishes, cleaning, etc.
5 We realized that we have actually minimum requirements to live like food, some clothes, basic house, some other basic things, etc.
6 I am also learning how one should pass time alone, you never know when that scenario come to your life, hope no one faces that.

There are many more also, please keep adding.

Please stay at home and stay safe !!

Last edited by aniketi : 27th March 2020 at 14:29.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 14:54   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

I learnt few things in the past two weeks.

1. No one is invincible. As it stands today, anyone can catch that virus. And since there's no known cure, the person might not recover.

2. There's always the right time to act before it is too late. USA, Italy and even India, among other countries, could have avoided the situation they are in right now. They didn't announce the preventive and quarantine measures at the right time, leading to the spread of the virus. Again, I am not blaming anyone, it's just a learning for me, for us.

3. Observe and learn from others, you might need those learning. Few weeks ago, Corona virus was a just a news for me and a problem for China (who cares!). Today, I am impacted too.

4. Never underestimate anyone. As mentioned above, Corona virus was China's problem. People situated thousands of miles away were dealing with it while we were safe. Not anymore, we have to deal with it too. This ties back to pts. #1,2,3.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks