Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2020, 12:12   #31
BHPian

Re: Bright side of the current Coronavirus crisis

This pandemic in many ways has been a reality check. I think after this dark phase ends, all of us will be thankful for whatever we have in life and appreciate it a little more.

Everything else seems so insignificant now - our jobs, projects, delivery deadlines, buying a home/car/bike, saving up for that big trip.

Maybe it will also force us to rethink the lifestyles we lead.
satishv1987 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 12:45   #32
BHPian

Highway like fuel efficiency in City.

I work for a govt department which is in exception list during lockdown. My daily ride is an Alto, which returns around 16-18 kmpl in city. Now, since there is little traffic on city roads; I am getting around 20-21 kmpl.

Bright side of the current Coronavirus crisis-img_20200325_132933.jpg

Bright side of the current Coronavirus crisis-img_20200325_132928.jpg
Udit is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 12:47   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

This will be the first time that the current generation will see holidays that will not be at malls, multiplexes or resorts. And about not eating outside. Many of us grew up in a physical world without gadgets, and this is not so abnormal - except for those grown-ups who's outings are again at malls & multiplexes.

A good time for parents to start them and their children on exercises. Some handicrafts. Those into DIY can rope in their kids and light the spark in them.
condor is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 13:48   #34
BHPian

Great thread.

In addition to all that is said above, I think the negativity on television and other media sources has come down a few notches. Seems ironic as we are in the middle of one of the biggest challenges humanity has faced in recent times.

But looking at the last couple of years, there has been so much vitriol spewed globally due to trigger friendly politicians, controversial legislations, protectionism, terrorism, impending wars and what not. To the extent that it started rubbing off on personal relationships as well. All these things look so trivial now.

Overall quality of dialogue amongst friends, family, colleagues has improved. Leading to more genuine, meaningful conversations and a better human connect.

Last edited by warrioraks : 26th March 2020 at 13:55.
warrioraks is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 15:22   #35

Its true that the lockdown period is going to be very tough for everyone. For a lot of us, procuring essential supplies is one major task. Apart from this, the other task is figuring out a way to kill time.

In my family, my father runs a business, my mother is a teacher, my brother and me are working for different companies. Sitting idle is not our family's cup of tea, but we can't do anything as lockdown is the need of the hour.

On the bright side, fortunately we all are together and to make things less boring we have adopted some interesting ways.

Everyday there is a new house leader.
The following things will be done as per the leader's wish
1) The food prepared in the day will be leader's choice of food.
2) Movie watched.
3) Games played.
4) The leader gets to choose who will do how much cleaning work (my brother did a lot of cleaning the day I was the leader )

And the leader is decided based on the winner of a game. Everyday we play some kind of games like tambola, cards, UNO, business, ludo etc. Its not just limited to one game but can be mixed as per the mood in the camp.

Basically we are trying to mix things up and make this period a bit more enjoyable.

Here is hoping everyone stays safe.
Ik.Singh is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 15:42   #36
Awaiting Email Confirmation

The fact that we are talking about something positive about the thing that has already killed 21000 people and will have an adverse economic affect on many more millions is frankly disturbing. Yes the streets are clear and the air is good, but what about the economic impact? Besides, a village already has all those things without the murderous pandemic. You wanted a better life so you live in a city, so you just have to accept that there will be other people wanting the same as you. And without them, there won't be a better life for anybody.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.
SreeT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 15:54   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

For anyone who remembers or has relatives who remember, what were things like during the Emergency (1975-77) period?

Was it similar, curfew-type? Supplies of essentials? Public gatherings?

My in-laws got married in Mumbai during the Emergency. They remember it being a small gathering on a private terrace and very subdued.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 16:18   #38
BHPian

Beautiful thread, this sparked the optimist in me.
Yes indeed there are lot of positive flip sides to the current situation. Although i am concerned about my family, while i am stuck in a foreign land my faith and trust in the universe has gone higher.

In addition I am working from home 3 times a week - which gives me additional 2hrs per day for "ME TIME".

I have increased my Surya Namaskar Cycles, dont miss the three stage pranayam and end the morning cycle with panchakosha meditation. I am so far only working on cleaning my body, mind and memory.

Evenings, i prepare a healthy joyous and simple dinner and eat with lots of humility and with prayers that every moment is precious and beautiful. _/\_
Old 26th March 2020, 18:02   #39
AZT
BHPian

An endangered species not seen since the 90's has been spotted.

Quote:
The Malabar large-spotted civet, also known as the Malabar civet, is a viverrid endemic to the Western Ghats of India. It is listed as Critically Endangered on the IUCN Red List as the population is estimated to number fewer than 250 mature individuals
Bright side of the current Coronavirus crisis-civet.jpg
AZT is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 18:06   #40
BHPian

The deserted roads: Blessing in disguise for emergency responders, essential/perishable goods vehicle services and far less headache for the traffic police department.

Increasing humanity in the form of kindness: In our residential community, I have been witnessing that pretty much everyone shares and helps the needy (vehicle support, groceries, medicines, vegetables and etc.). Reminds me of the below quote:

“The next evolutionary step for humankind is to move from man to kind.” Author: Unknown

Although myself got awestruck by the way we have been fighting this pandemic, much more effective contingency plans for all sort of businesses, operations, health, medical, emergency services including the government services would be commenced to face the future. That’s even better right?
Old 26th March 2020, 18:20   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
For anyone who remembers or has relatives who remember, what were things like during the Emergency (1975-77) period?

Was it similar, curfew-type? Supplies of essentials? Public gatherings?

My in-laws got married in Mumbai during the Emergency. They remember it being a small gathering on a private terrace and very subdued.
Why do you ask? I recall the emergency quite well. After the police bandobust for the first two weeks or so life returned to normal. Trains ran on time, Govt Departments actually replied back to letters from the public, Municipal services in some parts got a little better, ostentatious display came down, Municipalities with dynamic IAS officers actually went about improving towns and so on. I won't touch on the political or vendetta campaigns or forced sterilization projects that were forced as I believe that is not what you are asking about. And the police were not beating up common folks trying to buy milk and vegetables.
V.Narayan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 19:17   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
...as I believe that is not what you are asking about.
Oh certainly not sir!

Not trying to draw a parallel or anything in terms of politics or anything of the sort. Just curious about life in that period under restrictions as compared to the present situation, again, just to learn more. I assume information was certainly a lot more curtailed back then (guess that's an understatement). And whatever I can read up online about the Emergency deals with the general political motivations, daily life is not usually described.

Last edited by am1m : 26th March 2020 at 19:19.
Old 26th March 2020, 19:33   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
An endangered species not seen since the 90's has been spotted.
Attachment 1984065
Civet wanted to see whats up with the silence and where the humans have all vanished. A good day for the Civet

This was in Kozhikode as per news article.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 19:58   #44
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SreeT View Post
The fact that we are talking about something positive about the thing that has already killed 21000 people and will have an adverse economic affect on many more millions is frankly disturbing.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.
We should avoid getting too emotional IMO. We all know about the negative effects of Covid-19 Pandemic but it does not mean that we can not talk about a few positives(change in a good way), which may have emerged out of it.

It will be difficult for people who are too emotional to comment on this thread, however, the more practical people can continue to state their observation. The thing is, it doesn't matter whether we discuss it or not, the changes which are being discussed on this thread are already taking place. Talking about these changes will not change anything. No one here is wishing that this Pandemic continues and its real(negative) effects are being discussed in multiple threads here on the forum.

My observation/bright side-

There are times when we all get emotional and are filled with ultra nationalism, especially during the times of a terrorist attack, ceasefire violation etc. And there are times, when many of us must have thought that-'Heck, just get it over with. Let us have a war and decide who is the victor and who is superior'. At least I have had these thoughts.

This Pandemic has given me a taste of what a full fledged war and war related emergency would be like, that is, if we are not destroyed by a nuclear weapon first.

While I always used to calm down after having the above thoughts, it was mainly due to the account of the number of innocent people who will die. This Pandemic has given me a completely different view of why war can never ever be anything but the last option, as good as being 'not an option'.
AYP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 21:13   #45
BHPian

For me, lots and lots of time to play with my daughter. I usually commute to my office around 12 PM and come back home around midnight. Just one hour after she wakes up and 1 hour later than her sleep time. Helping my wife with some more household chores, editing a few old pictures I clicked and cooking some snacks during evening hours is what I have added to my list so far.

Took my daughter for a walk after 3-4 days and she was delighted. The streets are empty. And pollution levels is down drastically.

Bright side of the current Coronavirus crisis-img2327.jpg

On the flip side, My better half is dealing with a lot of emotions these days of not being in the front line and working for the cause. She had to leave her job from a highly critical care unit, Neuro-surgical ICU. And love is a understatement for the emotion she had for her job. Demerits of a nuclear family, of course. Proud of each and every medical and support staff out there who are working tirelessly 24/7 in this pandemic.
Tuisha110HP is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks