Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2020, 00:57   #16
BHPian

Re: 9PM 5th Apr 2020 - 9 Min lights out - safeguard electronics

Fears of grid failure due to Sunday blackout misplaced: Power ministry
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ive_share_tray

Earth day is celebrated across the world by turning off lights and nothing has happened.

Please verify before posting.
KA18 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 01:01   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA18 View Post
Sir I did verify and there are conflicting statements. I have studied the subject as part of my curriculum and have spent some time at KSEB grid monitoring control center as well. There will be an impact which will be attempted to be mitigated. My question is, are there any precautions we can take?
diyguy is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 01:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

How is this different from people switching off lights while sleeping at nights? Isn't the load same and electrical boards would be aware of the loads.
After switching to LED, in my home around 100W is used for all lighting. Fridge uses 4 times that much electricity. Though there will be drop in usage, there isn't much to be concerned.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 01:43   #19
BHPian

I've had a lot of electronics go bad over the years and as recently as two days ago, a rarely used Instant Pot pressure cooker went kaput.
My question here really is, are there any recommended precautions? I plan to run my home on our two inverters for about an hour, 15 mins prior and 45 mins after.
This is a coordinated event and the number of households that will participate is uncertain.
India is the third largest producer and consumer of electrical energy. Am sure the powers that be know their job, my question is only around precautions to prevent damage in a situation where one cannot even get things fixed.
diyguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 02:07   #20
BHPian

I suggest do nothing extra ordinary. Its not a situation like that. Be normal. Switch off your lights or don't, its your choice.

Equipment going bad is not linked to whats gonna happen in future.
ckranjan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 02:34   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA18 View Post
Fears of grid failure due to Sunday blackout misplaced: Power ministry
Earth day is celebrated across the world by turning off lights and nothing has happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
How is this different from people switching off lights while sleeping at nights? Isn't the load same and electrical boards would be aware of the loads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckranjan View Post
I suggest do nothing extra ordinary. Its not a situation like that. Be normal. Switch off your lights or don't, its your choice.

If it's all so simple as per the normal citizens of this country, why are the people working in the Discoms petrified? Let's hope it remains normal. And, if it does, let's give credit to the people managing these tantrums than the ones issuing them.

https://www.livemint.com/industry/en...926858765.html
Dinesh_Malhotra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 03:39   #22
BHPian

I have been a victim of power surges even on normal days. Having lost precious electronics, as a precaution I would prefer to stay off grid.
Thermodynamics is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 13:33   #23
BHPian

Re: The Corona virus thread

I am not sure why negativity is creeping in here again. Where was all this armchair analysis during events like the earth hour which is a worldwide phenomenon.

I prefer analysis of the experts (power discoms) rather than critics who put their views across without much knowledge on the subject. More like asking a software engineer to comment on the treatment for Coronavirus patients.

Last edited by racer_ash : 5th April 2020 at 13:34.
racer_ash is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 13:55   #24
BHPian

While I do not work for the power companies, one of my research subject during my electrical engineering college days was to analyze and find the root cause of the 2012 Grid Failure in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
I am not sure why negativity is creeping in here again. Where was all this armchair analysis during events like the earth hour which is a worldwide phenomenon.
Just because we don't see everyone discussing about it during earth hour, it doesn't mean there is no effect on the grid. Quoting a line from the link

Quote:
In addition to pickups, the Grid also prepares for synchronised switch-offs during remembrance and energy-awareness events.
The reason why you don't see any adverse effect is because a silent team of warriors are working at the backend to keep everything up and running.
You can watch the video in one of my previous posts to understand this.
I would once again like to reiterate that there is absolutely no need panic or have a negative vibe because the situation is quite easily manageable. Only two things can cause trouble:
1) Lack of co-ordination between hydroelectric station of one state and its load centre located in another state due to political reasons. (Recollect the idukki dam issue during Kerala floods)

2) Stupidity of a large number of people who decide to completely go off grid!

Even then I would say there is nothing to worry because our power department already has a jugaad solution. If you read the circular from the UP power department in one of the previous posts, you can read that they are recommending a load shedding (power cut) from 8PM itself. Which translates to "I don't want to face the challenge when people turn off their mains. I am going to eliminate the problem by shutting off power completely so that people have nothing to turn off"

Last edited by nagr22 : 5th April 2020 at 13:59. Reason: Added additional info
nagr22 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 14:37   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

It is enough that we have to worry about the virus. Now we have to worry about electrical engineering too.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 14:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

Looks like we are more focussed on organising light&sound show to fight the virus. We can also expect some fireworks at 9PM. In another news people are setting 5G towers on fire in UK to stop the virus spread.

We are hearing more reports about medical staffs getting infected (especially in Mumbai) and they are not being treated well. Really sad.

Last edited by Latheesh : 5th April 2020 at 14:46.
Latheesh is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 14:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

Guys, please don't again begin a battle of armchair analysts.

My house has around 10, 10W LEDs lighting the house. That is a 100W in total. Other equipments like fans,computers, refrigerator etc will be sinking in around 500W at any point in time in the night. I don't use AC. So the lighting load is only around 20% max. In houses with AC and all this will be much lesser. So unless you take away the fuse or trip the main circuit breaker nothing is going to happen.
Also the main lighting load comes from the street lights and commercial establishments. They are also told not to switch off. So in effect if houses switch off only lights it may hardly be a blip in the grid.

I agree these acts may not make a difference. I may not even participate in this. But just for the sake of criticism, let us not become Edisons and propagate falsehoods

Last edited by poloman : 5th April 2020 at 15:06.
poloman is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 14:45   #28
Senior - BHPian

Even in India, there are teleprotection devices (you can look them up) which are networked and connected to main control centres.
Any variation is quickly detected and relays switch off in milliseconds. So even if we see issues, it will be quickly taken care without blowing up.

And there will be people like me who will not participate in such useless demonstrations
srishiva is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 09:46   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: PM requests 9-min lights-off on 5th April, and to light candles / diyas

Here's how Shivaji Park was. Even the Sea Link was dimmed:

PM requests 9-min lights-off on 5th April, and to light candles / diyas-img20200405wa0004.jpg
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 10:13   #30
BHPian

Re: PM requests 9-min lights-off on 5th April, and to light candles / diyas

I was monitoring Delhi’s power load realtime. Before the event, it was around 2100 MW. It started falling around 8:55 and went down to 1230MW during the event. As it is, the power consumption was very low due to cooler weather and most economic activity being shut down. During summer, Delhi’s load exceeds 7000MW. So this was quite a drop from 2100 to 1200 and it was amazing that the grid was able to handle in successfully. I assume a similar trend must have been observed nationwide. Take a look at the minimum load on the top right corner in the image below.
Attached Thumbnails
PM requests 9-min lights-off on 5th April, and to light candles / diyas-3d657de3346e44f481963167feb628ee.png  

Lobogris is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks