Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2020, 14:41   #46
BHPian

Re: PM requests 9-min lights-off on 5th April, and to light candles / diyas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
Our infrastructure could not be this bad that it can't handle even this much of fluctuations.
I can say with confidence that you have not been to North-East India where the absence of power for as long as 3 days at a stretch is a very regular occurrence even in this day and age
Chhanda Das is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 19:05   #47
Senior - BHPian

Well, when our PM announced #9MinutesForIndia, it was a symbolic gesture to show our unity with the fight against coronavirus. Unfortunately, the powers to be have interpreted this as official order from PM and have made one arrest - Man from Manipur booked for urging people not to take part in PM’s lights-out call
Quote:
Yumnan Devjit, an entrepreneur who is in his early 30s, urged people not to heed to the prime minister's appeal as it will lead to a surge in the load of the power grid, resulting in a nuclear-like explosion in the country, they said.

He further said in the clip that the prime minister's appeal will lead to damage to electrical appliances, besides transformers, power sub-station and other installations, police said.

Officials said he has been booked under relevant sections of the Disaster Management Act, 2005 as his action amounted to refusal to comply with any direction given by or on behalf of the central government, as well as circulating a false alarm or warning as to disaster or its severity or magnitude, leading to panic.
I hope the bureaucrats can differentiate between essential & non-essential advice, order.
msdivy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 21:14   #48
BHPian

Being a Discom Engineer I want to add following technical facts and statistics:

1. Going to sleep and switching off lights is a daily phenomenon; add to that-
a) sudden rains in metros
b) some most popular events like a cricket match or a serial like Mahabharata in 90s (300MW dip in Maharashtra)
cause sudden dip in power demand.
These are managed by keeping previous records/load curves handy and a prediction is made with + and - clearances.
In North Delhi it is revised every half an hour!
The below graph will give an idea of how it works(just a random image I downloaded for understanding):PM requests 9-min lights-off on 5th April, and to light candles / diyas-images-2.jpeg

2. Many BHPians have mentioned POSOCO's role in the unprecedented event. Truly if we hadn't got enough Hydropower the demand dip would have been very difficult to manage.
Attaching two screenshots from the official report. These will give an idea how much an impact it was.

PM requests 9-min lights-off on 5th April, and to light candles / diyas-screenshot_20200407180725_drive.jpg

PM requests 9-min lights-off on 5th April, and to light candles / diyas-screenshot_20200407180709_drive.jpg

3. Lastly coming to the event; it was not just switching off 9W LEDs. We have a tendency to go overboard.
Fireworks instead of Diyas? A major fire broke at Solapur airport premises due to sparks from fireworks and dry grass.
Like somebody said, many people have fiddled with mainswitch of not only their homes but also Societies. The 27% dip suggests the same.

All we had to do was report to our duties failing purpose of Social distancing, never mind but-

We cannot afford a single mistake in such trying times!

Last edited by H Karter : 7th April 2020 at 21:40.
H Karter is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 22:28   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhanda Das View Post
I can say with confidence that you have not been to North-East India where the absence of power for as long as 3 days at a stretch is a very regular occurrence even in this day and age
Sorry for going OT.

I can say with confidence that I've been here in North East India all my life. Sorry for my ignorance but just curious to know which are the locations where absence of power for 3 days is "a very regular occurance" and what was the relevance of this statement wrt the topic of this thread?
wanderer4x4 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 01:11   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
Sorry for going OT.

I can say with confidence that I've been here in North East India all my life. Sorry for my ignorance but just curious to know which are the locations where absence of power for 3 days is "a very regular occurance" and what was the relevance of this statement wrt the topic of this thread?
I am originally from upper Assam and have to regularly visit lower Assam and various other places including upper Assam for my son's work even though I am settled in Kolkata now. I am sorry if you found my comment offensive but my statement on the absence of power is based on personal experiences only and not on hearsay. The only exception to my statement and having uninterrupted power in the Northeast of India are the state capital cities. Everywhere else we have power cuts albeit not as long as 3 days.
A good indicator here would be the sales figures of power inverters and batteries. A large majority of houses have them if they can afford it.

The relevance of my statement with respect to the topic of the thread is that sadly, all is not well in our country at least not as well as some of our honourable leaders like to project
Chhanda Das is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 10:42   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhanda Das View Post
.......... but my statement on the absence of power is based on personal experiences only and not on hearsay. The only exception to my statement and having uninterrupted power in the Northeast of India are the state capital cities. Everywhere else we have power cuts albeit not as long as 3 days.
A good indicator here would be the sales figures of power inverters and batteries. A large majority of houses have them if they can afford it.

The relevance of my statement with respect to the topic of the thread is that sadly, all is not well in our country at least not as well as some of our honourable leaders like to project
That is precisely my point. Power situation is same everywhere across the country with rural /interior areas facing power cuts in all states. A sweeping generalised statement like "in North East India 3 days long power cuts are a very regular occurance" sends out a negative message about the entire region.

And I do agree though that everything is not as well as some of our leaders want to project, but that is applicable for the entire country and not specific to any region.

Now let's get back to the topic at hand before the mods start wielding the infraction swords.

Last edited by wanderer4x4 : 8th April 2020 at 10:45.
wanderer4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks