Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2020, 14:01   #16
BHPian

Re: The best TV channels for "news headlines" in India

I used to watch WION till last year when I had a DTH connection. WION covers a lot of international news, and sports also.
No panellists, no debates, just news. As I said I don't know if it has changed in the last year.
DigitalOne is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 14:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

For Hindi, I guess Zee Business does the job just fine. They highlight important updates around the country while keeping the focus on their actual 'Business' i.e. share market. CNBC Awaaz is the second option, but I hate Amish Devgan's show that is aired in the evening.

Often switch to ABP/Aaj Tak/Zee News for entertainment purposes only

Sometimes I feel, few channels showcase news, debates, & expert opinions like it is the news channels who are running the country!
bluevolt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 14:14   #18
BHPian

Here's my preferences:-

Hindi News: DD News

English News: Wion, covers breaking international content also.

Local news: A local news website and their WhatsApp updates.

Entertainment: Debate at 9 on Republic TV, nothing beats it, hands down, albeit only the first 5-10 mins, thereafter its s-c-r-e-a-m-s non-sense.
five46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 15:09   #19
BHPian

Have been following France24 which is an English news and current affairs channel. They have a 20 minutes news bulletin every hour. Find the presentation crisp and tempered. They also do very good short features on current affairs.

Our home grown news channels seem even more unbearable in comparison. The 9 PM show on India today can have moments of revelation because it frequently has a panelist or two with good insights. The presenter himself is insufferable though
hothatchaway is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 15:39   #20
BHPian

i follow NDTV and their app, BBC

youtube:-
the quint, dhruv rathee, the lallantop, akash banerjee, scoop whoop, HW news (editorials are good)

Google news top stories
falconion is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 15:54   #21
BHPian

I rely on NDTV for national news and WION/AL-JAZEERA for international news for rest of the news updates I have subscribed to 'The Hindu'.
Aafaq is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 16:24   #22
Team-BHP Support

Shifted primary news source to wire services a long time ago. Most nowadays have well laid-out websites, some have great apps for smartphones, a few even have TV channels on cable/DTH platforms. Doordarshan for India news.

Labeling is critical, and I appreciate sources that clearly demarcate news from opinion, even if some of them provide high-quality editorial/opinion content that I consume.

Have not watched 'TV News' for a decade or so now.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th April 2020 at 16:26.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 18:48   #23
Senior - BHPian

Frankly, watching Indian news channels is a traumatic experience. I can never makes sense of what is going on there, what is 3 to 4 head lines appearing/disappearing continuously around the various sections of the screen, the news anchor blabbering something else and who can ignore the screaming slug-fests. I can never watch a single Indian news channel more than 2 minutes at a stretch, be it in English / Hindi or local language.

Compare this to the BBC world that I watch occasionally, which feels so soothing to the eyes and the mind can make sense of what is being shown. Unfortunately, there are only a few news items that are specific to India.

I will try out suggestions from this thread like DD News. On Wion, I watched their clips on youtube and I felt their coverage is biased, towards government, when it comes to decisions / policies.
shipnil is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 22:40   #24
BHPian

Seriously, Indian News Media is serving garbage to our people. Most of the people do not suspect this and fall for false information which is served to people with overdone graphics and melodrama. I lost faith in mainstream news media.

For me news come from

Indian:
The Quint, Newslaundry, The Wire, BBC Marathi and sometimes NDTV

International:
DW News

I also like to watch Political Satires from Akash Banerjee's the Deshbhakt and Newslaundry's Newsance.

Google News, Jalopnik and Gizmodo are part of daily scrolling. Google News really gives technology contents I like.

Last edited by sushantr5 : 18th April 2020 at 22:42.
sushantr5 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 22:47   #25
BHPian

My primary news source is Twitter. Business news on Reuters/Bloomberg.

Have long stopped watching TV news except for coverage of some live events like budget.

However in my office the TV continuously runs WION and have found that to be decent.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 23:02   #26
BHPian

Wion has always been my go-to channel in this era of sensationalized journalism by a few channels. There coverage is completely objective, unbiased and always shows both sides of the coin; the news delivery is not jaundiced by the view of the news organisation. Instead of people shouting at each other and in the face of the viewers, the viewers are left free to draw up conclusions for themselves.
SID2997 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 23:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

Isn't it too much to expect only news from news channels?

I watch them for fun; the comic relief they offer is unparalleled. Specially so are the ones that consciously try to cover up the fact that they have, over the years, morphed into Views Channels.

Entertainment, thy name is TV news.
dailydriver is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 00:08   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Not to shift this debate political, but IMHO, these days you SHOULD NOT watch any ONE news channel. Most of the channels are bought out and the news that comes out is biased.

If you start watching news channels of all bias, you’d be surprised how much information is being twisted. I watch the headlines of atleast three differently biased channels and get information/form opinion.
dhanushs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 00:46   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID2997 View Post
Wion has always been my go-to channel in this era of sensationalized journalism by a few channels. There coverage is completely objective, unbiased and always shows both sides of the coin; the news delivery is not jaundiced by the view of the news organisation. Instead of people shouting at each other and in the face of the viewers, the viewers are left free to draw up conclusions for themselves.
Objective? In my opinion, I find their tone, especially when it comes to faulting China is anything but objective. Yes, China deserves blame but the tone of their videos suggests that they are more than happy in berating China, when I feel news should always be delivered in a sober manner, like BBC anchors. Don't get me wrong, I like what they're publishing.

I watch a variety of news channels, ones that support the government as well as ones that despise it and international news channels too. I then take a call on where I stand on these issues .

Last edited by vb-saan : 19th April 2020 at 10:08. Reason: Please stick to the topic; avoid bringing in political debates.
Dhiwakar92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 12:48   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks a ton, guys! Me & my family are very grateful . Watched Doordarshan last night (via YouTube) and it was a revelation. Straight-hard news, no opinions, clean layout and everything you need to know in 30 - 45 minutes . Never ever expected this from Doordarshan! It's like looking for a 5-star hotel and ending up in an impressive government lodging. Well done!

Will check out Wion too. For now, Doordarshan, NBC's nightly summary & a little bit of Al Jazeera is fulfilling our news craving.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks