Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2020, 11:13   #46
BANNED

Re: The best TV channels for "news headlines" in India

Some great info: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/top-5-...ee-censorship/
Old 22nd April 2020, 11:35   #47
BHPian

Doordarshan anyday. Most of the channels I've checked out are a bit biased, some more than others. NDTV, BBC, al jazeera, wire, scroll, republic etc. all have their respective political spectrums to target. DD news is the channel I'd watch if just knowing what the headlines are and not listening to all the debates and stuff, is your priority.

Also, rajyasabha TV is also something I watch occasionally.

Last edited by SaiSW : 22nd April 2020 at 11:49.
SaiSW is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 11:49   #48
BHPian

I usually end up watching Wion (more news, less editorialising) and Rahul Kanwal on India Today - relatively apolitical & non-sensational.
gautam109 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 12:42   #49
BHPian

I can suggest Youtube channel Lallantop and shows by Saurabh Dwivedi. Really good and informative. Netanagri weekly program is a good opinion based show. "Fursat ki salah" is a good section in that program. It's in Hindi so reach is limited. But normally the channel is fact based and less of opinion.
adi_gt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 13:05   #50
BHPian

For the last few years I watch WION along with a mix of DW and NHK (15 minutes of headlines twice a day is sufficient).
News feed from Microsoft launcher is also good and better than Google.
Newsx used to be a good channel to watch when it was launched in 2008-09 but with time it eventually caught up with other Indian news channels
Tucker48 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 19:05   #51
BHPian

For online reading, I really recommend The New Indian Express, especially for those of us in South India. I used to read The Hindu, but heard about some management issues and political affiliations, so switched to TNIE and I've been quite happy.
slango97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 20:19   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity0114 View Post
To the point, noiseless news - DD, WION
Few more..

'Right' - Swarajyamag.com for online news
'Left' - The Hindu, Guardian

Last edited by ampere : 22nd April 2020 at 21:15. Reason: trimmed quoted post
C300 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 20:38   #53
BHPian

If one just wants headlines, and that’s a great idea by the way, you can subscribe to any of the RSS feed apps. I have stopped watching TV for only God knows how long.

Feedly and Inareader are 2 best ones. I assume you already know about these, but for thise who do not, they are an aggregator for news stories across all media and sources. They present the stories in a classic, clutter free manner and you can click on a particular story to jump to the source website (Reuters for example).
Feedly is extremely sophisticated and you call the shots. The algorithm doesn’t watch you and decide what to churn out but you dictate what sources you want your news from. There is mind boggling variety of sources including special interest. Or i can simply type team-bhp.com and get stories from here.

So In Short is rather crude example of RSS feed aggregator apps. Pls try out Feedly or Inareader to see how sophisticated these things have become. No offence meant, wanted to add this to my earlier post that’s already gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
I might be slightly biased here, as I have applied for a job there, but I really like InShorts and what they're doing.

They take any news, cut it down to 60 words or less, and post it in the app.

Simple, short, to the point, factual, un-opinionated
Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd April 2020 at 09:02. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 22nd April 2020, 22:20   #54
BHPian

For those who want to watch international news, I suggest DW news (German based). Their news as well as other programs are top notch. No frills, hyperactive news "performers" or propaganda (like you see in most American news channels).
American news channels are either extreme Right wing or extreme left wing. I couldn't find anything in between.

It was so refreshing to see news being delivered in a calm manner without shoehorning their opinions., like it used to be a decade ago when I watched DW news.

For those who are Interested, DW also produces amazing Documentaries on relevant and interesting subjects. They are not overly drawn out or 3 hour long. They are short concise and to the point.They are some of the best documentaries I've seen.

They are available on their YouTube Channel
Old 22nd April 2020, 22:33   #55
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandadevieast View Post
So In Short is rather crude example of RSS feed aggregator apps. Pls try out Feedly or Inareader to see how sophisticated these things have become. No offence meant, wanted to add this to my earlier post that’s already gone.

Kind of curious as to how you came to that conclusion.
They collect their news from Daily Mail, Hindustan Times, Times of India, Reuters, Indian Express, Deccan Herald, The Print, The Quint etc.
Old 22nd April 2020, 22:39   #56
Senior - BHPian

Being in the US, I listen to NPR (National Public Radio) because I feel they are the most unbiased.

The Hindu website for Indian news.
Old 22nd April 2020, 23:44   #57
BHPian

I cut the cord to cable a couple of years back but when I did have regular TV, I had almost given up on all news channels. Strictly speaking some of them cannot even be called 'news' channels. All the yelling & screaming totally put me off most channels. 'Life is too short' funda..
I use FireStick and stream a couple of entertainment apps during the limited TV time I have.
For news, I read the TOI & Pune Mirror daily. When am online at office, I read through Indian Express & MoneyControl (for financial news).
Old 23rd April 2020, 05:48   #58
BHPian

I recently watched a clip about the recent pandemic in a supposedly north Korean news channel and ever since I think its been us, who might have been brainwashed

Nope, I haven't lost my mind please do watch it, trust me, I have not had such an unbiased article since ages!

Old 23rd April 2020, 15:56   #59
BHPian

I stopped watching and reading the news many years ago.

News is a bad source of information as well as a bad form of entertainment. No offence to those who love news.
Most of it is entertainment packaged such that it makes you feel like you're acquiring important knowledge.

Anything that's important (will affect my life directly) is something my family or colleagues will be eager to discuss with me.

That way, I declutter my life without missing on any news that impacts me.

Last edited by evil_grin : 23rd April 2020 at 16:00.
Old 23rd April 2020, 19:16   #60
BHPian

subscribe to the WION youtube channel. they snip their broadcasts into 2-5 min segments and upload it immediately after the live broadcast. then choose to watch what you fancy from the video titles! I happily avoid anything political and sporty like this, plus the joy of it being ad-free

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks