Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2020, 09:22   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The best TV channels for "news headlines" in India

I don't want a discussion, I'm not looking for panelists, I hate the screaming matches for TRPs.

All I want is plain & simple headlines of the day in nightly news. Over the last 5 years, my primary source of news has been email newsletters which serve the purpose just well. But with all of us @ home during the lockdown & the craving for watching the day's developments together, TV time has gone up.

Can you please advise on which is the best TV channel for just headlines? Which show and what time? Would prefer between 8 - 930 PM. Giving an excellent example of NBC USA here. Just look at the sheer quality & execution . Everything you need to know in 20 - 30 minutes.

Please share options for online as well as DTH (as some have cut the cord). Thank you!
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 09:47   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The best TV channels for "news headlines" in India

I will stick to DD if all I want is News and if I all I want to listen to are Newsreaders and not melodramatic narrators with complementing background music and sensational lingo. Also, each channel telecasts the same news in different flavours and it is amusing to watch how they make us all fools out of listeners.

Generally not a news watcher but off late I stream DD news for Covid specific reports and then turn it off.

Also, with other news channels, everyone wants to be an expert and opinions are literally forced upon you that you ought to buy them no matter what.

I catch up with most of the news through newspapers itself (again hate to read news between advertisements) and subscribe to certain newspaper only.
paragsachania is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 10:17   #3
BANNED

I might be slightly biased here, as I have applied for a job there, but I really like InShorts and what they're doing.

They take any news, cut it down to 60 words or less, and post it in the app.

Simple, short, to the point, factual, un-opinionated
turbo is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 10:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yes i've been an InShorts user for some 5 years now. It's concise and non intrusive. You've the option to select the news which you would want to follow more closely. The links are provided too if in case you want to learn more about a particular story. You could cover the whole day's happenings in 5 minutes. Great app and the one I can't live without.

Link to play store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...id=com.nis.app

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 18th April 2020 at 10:28.
Bibendum90949 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 10:33   #5
BHPian

I see Wion for international news/news in English. They just read out news and nothing else. I feel at ease when TV is set to this channel.
For Hindi news updates I think Zee news and India Tv are just about fine. And then I have the news updates on my mobile's chrome browser too.
Storm2.0 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 10:34   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Honestly I’ve given up on TV news for a long time now. There is no Indian news channel worth your time, they are always cycling between advertisements and outright propaganda. I keep myself updated using news apps on my phone. I’ve got NDTV, BBC, Indian Express, Times of India, Reuters and Quint. All the information with zero noise, at my fingertips. Also, you get a more balanced view of things.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 11:07   #7
BHPian

I stick to CNBC TV18 for news.
Their tv channel showcases business news mostly but the website has a decent spread. The biggest benefit is that it is devoid of all the masala that has crept into some of the other sources.

These are the top 5 stories running on their website right now. Seems to cover all the important aspects for me.
The best TV channels for "news headlines" in India-capture.jpg

Last edited by warrioraks : 18th April 2020 at 11:12. Reason: Typos
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 11:14   #8
BHPian

news.google.com/topstories

This is what i rely on. Multiple times in a day. I can customize feeds from sources and topics i want on. I can block unwanted sources. Say, Firstpost, NDTV Sports, NEWS18, The Guardian, The Hindu, TOI are blocked because of excessive ads, spam, popups asking you to subscribe etc and which you have no way to bypass. If you are intelligent enough you can understand the matter even from a biased, opinionated article.

Last edited by bharatbits : 18th April 2020 at 11:15.
bharatbits is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 11:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
news.google.com/topstories

This is what i rely on. Multiple times in a day. I can customize feeds from sources and topics i want on. I can block unwanted sources. Say, Firstpost, NDTV Sports, NEWS18, The Guardian, The Hindu, TOI are blocked because of excessive ads, spam, popups asking you to subscribe etc and which you have no way to bypass. If you are intelligent enough you can understand the matter even from a biased, opinionated article.

Agree.

My fav destination for just news is https://in.reuters.com/
Equus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 11:57   #10
BHPian

If you want to see only news thats DD NEWS. Some time CNBC. Rest all of them will have debate shows or screamers.
For online news just see Google news. Added advantage being Fact check section on the right side of the page (for some reason I don't see this in mobile page) which I happily use for bursting fake news in WhatsApp groups.

Last edited by _chikku : 18th April 2020 at 11:58.
_chikku is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 12:05   #11
BHPian

I rely on NDTV, TOI news apps(breaking news notifications on) and the Google news feeds. These seem good enough for me to keep a tab on what I want to know rather than what the nation wants to know
hareshjethwani is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 12:09   #12
BHPian

FWIW, I have stopped watching news channels completely since last 5 years. Never been happier.
raksrules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 12:26   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I will stick to DD if all I want is News and if I all I want to listen.
For all news, DD works best. I prefer to get news and not their [often biased views on that topic] opinion on that particular subject.

Last edited by Sheel : 18th April 2020 at 13:03.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 12:43   #14
BHPian

I avoid watching and prefer reading more preferably a physical print. Being born and brought up in Chennai, I am “The Hindu” reader. By far, I guess, no other daily comes close to it when it comes to linguistic quality, content depth and tidiness. It also perhaps the least tabloid of the lot.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 18th April 2020 at 12:46.
Thermodynamics is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 13:10   #15
Team-BHP Support

No specific news channels; I go with Google suggestions on phone - works the best based on the topics of interest, and its more like a one stop source, for local, global and even regional Malayalam news.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks