Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2021, 13:08   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Chess Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
For the first time, I have an opponent who played 'King's Gambit' (which I accepted).
First impression: Soon enough you'll have to play g5 or give up on your extra pawn (if the latter, why even accept the gambit?). But once you do that your kingside weakens considerably and your f7 pawn becomes a liability.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 13:18   #152
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
First impression: Soon enough you'll have to play g5 or give up on your extra pawn (if the latter, why even accept the gambit?). But once you do that your kingside weakens considerably and your f7 pawn becomes a liability.
I always accept gambits and defend. But this particular opponent is ranked lower than me, so it should not be that difficult.

Name:  Screenshot_3.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  53.9 KB

But yeah - looking at different combinations, King's Gambit move has it strengths.
Old 5th October 2021, 15:50   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post

[attachment removed]

But yeah - looking at different combinations, King's Gambit move has it strengths.
This is how it progressed? Can't see the point of white's h3 - h4 looks far better from here.
Old 4th December 2021, 02:01   #154
BHPian

Magnus won game 6 against Ian Nepomniatchi. It was the longest game is the chess world championship and was over only after Nepomniatchi resigned after 136 moves.

It was really fun watching endgame and seeing composed Magnus taking no chances, and pushing slowly for the victory.
INJAXN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 09:16   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJAXN View Post
Magnus won game 6 against Ian Nepomniatchi. It was the longest game is the chess world championship and was over only after Nepomniatchi resigned after 136 moves.

It was really fun watching endgame and seeing composed Magnus taking no chances, and pushing slowly for the victory.
Oh yes! What an amazing game! This was the classical "Magnus grind" :-)

This was an epic game for sure. Also, this again proved the difference between computer play and human understanding. Just after the first time control, after 40. ... Qb3, both Vishy Anand and Judit Polgar (commenting on different sites) said White could be winning this, while computers were giving +0.0 It was hard for ordinary chess players like me to understand how white could be winning at that time. And neither did computers understood that (they kept on giving +0.0 for all lines till a long time). I was watching this game with some very strong chess players (rated about 2400), and none of them understood exactly how White could be winning this at the end of the 40th move.

However, they way the game progressed was exactly how Anand and Polgar predicted. It was amazing to see their intuition and deep understanding of the game turning out to be superior over dry computer analysis. It was a thrilling experience.

While watching the game, at one point we were excited by 38. ... Bxb4 and it looked very strong at first. Even Vishy Anand was expecting that move, and he was also surprised when Nepo did not play that. But turns out it was not much better anyways.

What a game it was! Looking forward to the 7th game now.

By the way, here is a very good report of this game (do not miss the game annotated by Anish Giri at the end of the report): https://en.chessbase.com/post/world-...onship-2021-g6
Dr.AD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 17:44   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
What a game it was! Looking forward to the 7th game now.
Game 7 turned out to be quite a peaceful affair, as is usually the case after such a marathon and emotionally (as well as mentally) draining game as Game 6 was.

However, Game 8 turned out to be a disaster for Nepo. I got one WhatsApp forward that summarizes Game 8 humorously, but quite accurately I would say.

Name:  Nepob5joke.jpeg
Views: 207
Size:  24.2 KB
Source: Unknown (WhatsApp Forward)
Dr.AD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 12:29   #157
BANNED

16 year old Indian prodigy beats world chess champion Magnus Carlsen

16 year old prodigy Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa beat world chess champion Magnus Carlsen.

Praggnanandhaa, who in 2016 became the youngest international master in history at age 10, beat Carlsen late on Monday at the Airthings Masters rapid chess tournament.

"It's about time to go to bed as I don't think I will have dinner at 2.30 in the morning," a visibly calm Praggnanandhaa said after the 39-move victory playing black.

This is not enough to dethrone the current champion as there would be more games to be played.

Source
EV NXT is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 10:47   #158
BHPian

Re: 16 year old Indian prodigy beats world chess champion Magnus Carlsen

I don't want to undermine his victory but M. Carlsen was recovering from Covid after effects and had lost to 4 opponents before reaching the finals.

Then again a victory is a victory.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 07:45   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

One great news for Indian chess fans. The 2022 World Chess Olympiad now moved to Chennai (from Moscow which was the original venue). It will be played from July 26 to August 08, 2022.

The Chess Thread!-temp1.jpg

source: https://twitter.com/aicfchess/status...Cs6eKsxd4pAAAA

I hope they will allow spectators and this is not a closed door event. Assuming they allow spectators, I will surely visit Chennai and see a couple of rounds of this Olympiad.

Maybe if other chess fans on this forum would like to visit too, we could have a "TeamBHP Chess Meet" in Chennai at this event! Chennai has a rich legacy of chess and is the perfect city for a chess meet.
Old 16th March 2022, 11:33   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Chennai has a rich legacy of chess and is the perfect city for a chess meet.
A primer on this:

https://fiftytwo.in/story/madras-check/
Old 2nd January 2023, 11:25   #161
Team-BHP Support

This bit is interesting. Apparently, the King's "fighting" value is approx equal to 4 points during the endgame when there is no Queen/Rook in the battlespace.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_...relative_value

The Chess Thread!-screenshot_1.png
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 22:54   #162
Team-BHP Support

Me having a chat with ChatGPT on chess:

The Chess Thread!-screenshot_1.png

The Chess Thread!-screenshot_2.png

The Chess Thread!-screenshot_3.png

The Chess Thread!-screenshot_4.png

I asked if ChatGPT can play chess:

The Chess Thread!-screenshot_5.png

The Chess Thread!-screenshot_6.png

So unlike a chess engine, ChatGPT does not make moves for you. Instead, it gives you suggestions and tells you why that is a good move. This can be used to solve tough to crack chess puzzles.

Last edited by SmartCat : 22nd February 2023 at 23:00.
Old 25th February 2023, 10:07   #163
BHPian

The first line says the idea of f5 is to potentially develop the light squared bishop to f6, but f6 is dark square. Am I missing something here or is this a typo?
Prayaglele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 10:44   #164
BHPian

I was idly browsing about Chess and was very surprised to see that Vishwanathan Anand is still ranked 9th in the world. He hardly plays and yet he maintains a high ELO rating. How does that work?
Old 22nd March 2023, 10:51   #165
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
I was idly browsing about Chess and was very surprised to see that Vishwanathan Anand is still ranked 9th in the world. He hardly plays and yet he maintains a high ELO rating. How does that work?
If you stop playing, the ranking freezes at that level. It changes only when you play games and win/lose.
https://www.chess.com/players/viswanathan-anand

Name:  Screenshot_1.png
Views: 64
Size:  11.3 KB
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks