Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Old 5th June 2020, 18:41   #61
BHPian

Default Re: The Chess Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
I'm playing black here. Just curious, what is likely to happen if I replicate/copy every white move?
It is not possible in most cases, and not necessarily a good strategy even if possible in a particular situation.

In most cases, it will not be possible either legally (i.e. White made a capture move and you can't capture back because your capturing piece is already captured by White and does not exist anymore; or if White gives you a check), or tactically.

Here is an example from Petroff Defense, where copying is not possible tactically.

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. Nxe5 Nxe4 4. Qe2 Qe7 So far the copying works (although still not idea for Black). But now...
5. Qxe4

And Black can't copy the move by playing 5. ... Qxe5?? because that would just lose the Queen to 6. Qxe5. And even after that it will not be possible for copy because Black just lost his Queen while White still has his :-)

In most openings, White has a slight advantage and by copying the moves, Black does nothing to gain any initiative. Black almost always plays asymmetrical because that is the only way to equalize the position.

For example, in the above Petroff Defense, the most played move after 3. Nxe5 is 3. ...d6 (and not copying the knight move), and that gives Black much better chances than 3. ... Nxe4.

By the way, coming to your specific game you mentioned, the game could continue like this: 6. c4 c5 (because you insist on copying). 7. cxd5 cxd4 8. Qxd4 Qxd5 (still copying although Nxd5 is better). 9. Nc3

And now you can't copy and play 9 ... Nc6??. That loses! A blunder!

Last edited by Dr.AD : 5th June 2020 at 18:59.
Dr.AD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 19:46   #62
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: The Chess Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
It is not possible in most cases, and not necessarily a good strategy even if possible in a particular situation.
Yeah, I was not looking at it as a strategy per se - was just curious to see how the game will proceed if Black copies every move. For academic purposes!

Quote:
By the way, coming to your specific game you mentioned, the game could continue like this: 6. c4 c5 (because you insist on copying). 7. cxd5 cxd4 8. Qxd4 Qxd5 (still copying although Nxd5 is better). 9. Nc3 And now you can't copy and play 9 ... Nc6??. That loses! A blunder!
Well, I could repeat 8 moves (White:Ne5, Black: Ne4)

The Chess Thread!-symmetry.jpg

But when White took out my knight on c6, I had to "disengage" and take it out with my pawn (bxc6):

The Chess Thread!-chess2.png

If I had NOT disengaged and copied his move with my knight, he could have taken out my pawn on e7 and given a "check". He would have been one pawn up over me had I continued copying his moves.

Name:  virtual.png
Views: 59
Size:  59.7 KB

Most Viewed