Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you send your Kid to Preschool/School post COVID-19
I'll send my Kid to Preschool once it reopens 21 16.41%
I prefer enrolling my kid directly to a K12 school even for Playgroup, Nursery, LKG & UKG 12 9.38%
I prefer not to send my kid to school till the time COVID-19 Vaccine is available and continue with online learning 87 67.97%
Any other (please mention in reply) 8 6.25%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2020, 13:41   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Post Covid-19: How comfortable are you sending your kid(s) to school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacd80 View Post
I have voted on the third option. I will rather wait for the Vaccine to be successful. Why take a risk?
Even I have my fingers crossed on that! I am sure everyone has. But remember there are plenty of common viruses like the ones causing Malaria & dengue for which vaccines aren't successful even after decades of research.

My word with COVID19, do Malaria and Dengue feel like friendly little ones!
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 15:10   #17
BHPian

It is actually a critical decision to make. I am really concerned about my two kids, one at UKG and other at pre-school. I feel that it will take some time for the perfect vaccine for covid-19 to release. In fact, schools should take some necessary actions like making masks mandatory, provide hand sanitisers, hand-washes and also some people to help and monitor kids to use them. This is the only way to make our kids safe at school and these things should be part of our lifestyle as well.
Old 7th May 2020, 15:19   #18
BHPian

I am working in education industry and I can tell you from my first hand experience that online learning is flawed in many ways. There are different modes of online education.

1. Subscribe to a software like IXL, Freckle or Mobymax. Your kids might do it for a week or two but soon, they will be distracted.You need to be there for them, monitor and help them out.
2. Many schools have just substituted regular classes with classes on some software like Zoom. They face either of the two problems. If the kids are unmuted, there is a lot of cross talk and disturbances. If they are asked to mute, there is no guarantee that your child did not throw the tablet aside and is playing. In short, this system is ill-thought and will not work
3. One on one tutoring or small batch learning is another option. Our company has a system of 4 students per class. We teach concepts and assign homework and monitor that(we are a study from home company since 2 years)

I have seen only the third option succeed. If not, it makes more sense to let them enjoy at home or do some home tutoring with software like IXL.

FYI, we serve the US market only

Last edited by aveemashfaq : 7th May 2020 at 15:24. Reason: spelling
aveemashfaq is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 16:43   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

For pre schools and primary education, online classes make zero sense. Parents here dont mind sending the kids back to school once they open, in August or later.
Old 7th May 2020, 17:01   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveemashfaq View Post
2. Many schools have just substituted regular classes with classes on some software like Zoom. They face either of the two problems. If the kids are unmuted, there is a lot of cross-talk and disturbances. If they are asked to mute, there is no guarantee that your child did not throw the tablet aside and is playing. In short, this system is ill-thought and will not work
May be, yes.
But, as parents, if we insist our presence -they will also get the seriousness of it. Me or my wife sat right across in the same room for a few days. Later, we didn't have to even help him connect the calls. I think its a new world of work/school from home, we need to give the process and kids some more time. Just my opinion!
Old 7th May 2020, 17:09   #21
BANNED

I have a daughter who is going to be six. She hasn’t gone to pre-school. I have enrolled her for class I this year. While I don’t like the idea of education as it is in our country, there is no other way for her to get some social exposure.

About sending her to school, I will definitely send her to school when it opens. I’m not going to wait for a vaccine or cure for Covid-19. Vaccine for Covid-19 may not be practical with the way the virus mutates. I’m a big fan of vaccination and have given almost all vaccines recommended by government and also Pneumococcal, Varicella, Typhoid, Japanese Encephalitis, Hepatitis A in addition. Waiting for a vaccine is almost a futile exercise as even if it materialises it will take more 2 years to vaccinate the entire population as the vaccine production capacity is limited at Serum Institute, the largest vaccine producer in the world.
The Rationalist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 17:29   #22
BHPian

Yes, I will send my kids to school once in opens. The reason being I know the school and have trust in their practices. They started preparing us for this online schooling even before the lockdown in India, don't know how they got sense of it. If the school had been govt. school with 30-40 students in one class, I would think about my decision, but in my case its one of the top private school in the city. So I guess the decision somewhat depends on the school category also.

Moreover, I also believe our govt. will not allow schools to open before anything they feel safe for the kids. So hope for the best.
Sparky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 17:50   #23
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

i will send my kid to school once it opens. The school has clearly informed us on the process start from June which would be online classes and when they feel the recommendation from Govt. comes through, they have informed us that it will confirm to the safe distancing standard. We cant wait for the vaccine and pray for the same. Remember there are viruses were the world has still not got vaccines.
bharanidharang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 18:06   #24
BHPian

This is something i am still not very clear on what to do. I have two kids 2 and 6 years. The younger kid it does not matter since i am planning to send him to pre-school only once he reaches 3+. The problem is for my elder daughter. She is very naughty kid and just does not listen to me or my wife. On-line classes are completely ineffective with her since we cannot get her to sit in front of a computer. She needs the physical presence of a teacher. She is much better behaved and listens to her teachers. Vaccine if there is one may take a long time to become effective. I hope the government when it opens schools takes into account the risk factors. I am also considering if i should enroll her in my native place ( zero cases ). Although i may end up loosing lot of money since i have already paid the first term fees and transport etc. Anyway health and safety of the kid is top priority. We will home school her if that is what is best for her.
JediKnight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 18:54   #25
BHPian

I can totally relate myself to this thread. Honestly, I am clueless what to do.
I am not comfortable in sending my daughter to school till either vaccine is developed or situation is completely under control and I am guaranteed that she will not get infected in school under any condition.
She is in class 2. She had her online classes for April session. Our experience was excellent. School used to send 10 minute YouTube videos and some worksheets to solve based on concepts. We had to take significant effort in getting those sheets solved from her, but we are fine with that.
Personally I would prefer to continue this mode of schooling as much as possible.
I personally feel schools for kids upto 10 year should be last to restart
Old 7th May 2020, 21:50   #26
BHPian

My son is six, and schools are going online June 1st onwards. But I really don't care if they do or do not. I am OK if this year is skipped as well.

When all the virus fiasco ends, I hope our education system changes for the better rather than just focusing on academics, and cut throat competition between classmates for marks.. I hope they teach kids to be a better human beings rather than manufactured robots.

Last edited by yamaniac : 7th May 2020 at 21:52.
yamaniac is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 08:28   #27
Team-BHP Support

Re: Post Covid-19: How comfortable are you sending your kid(s) to school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaniac View Post
When all the virus fiasco ends, I hope our education system changes for the better rather than just focusing on academics, and cut throat competition between classmates for marks..
Your wish may come true...

Post Covid-19: How comfortable are you sending your kid(s) to school?-whatsapp-image-20200507-9.35.21-pm.jpg
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 10:14   #28
BHPian

Heart of hearts , i don't wish the schooling system to change due to this situation. Schooling is one part of a childs growth that remains forever a part of his / her memories. I am not in favor of a virtual classroom as compared to the bunch -up- to gather type classrooms that most of us know of. True, virtual learning is a good add on but not a replacement. When this is all over , i am sending my 10 year old son back to school.
Old 8th May 2020, 11:16   #29
BHPian

I will be sending my kid to school - she is in fifth grade. Haven't seen much discussions on Home schooling in India, although it is gaining traction.
Old 8th May 2020, 12:24   #30
Senior - BHPian

My Kid is 3 years old and was going to Pre-School Montessori nearby. We stopped sending him to school even before the lockdown after hearing about the Covid Cases in the news.

The vaccine seems to be the best case scenario but how long it may take is a separate story.

At the moment I am not able to answer this question confidently. All I can say is I may not wait for the vaccine but will surely not experiment by sending my kid to school the moment Govt allows opening - will wait a month or so and get feedback on how the school is coping with the situation and then take a call.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks