View Poll Results: What do you prefer?
Work from home 118 49.79%
Work from office 119 50.21%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2020, 13:07   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pros & Cons of working from home

I'd like to have a hybrid option. Work from home, but go to office once/twice a week.
Eddy is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 13:41   #17
BHPian

While I agree with most of the pros and cons of working from home on the thread. One of my biggest issues since I've started working from home is that people now ignore the concept of office timings.

While I worked in office, there was fixed office timings, and you stretched a little more obviously at times, to get work done on the same day. Now with work from home, I get calls at anytime of the night and people just assume that you have nothing better to do than work since you are at home all the time.

So, that's been my biggest gripe and I am still trying to adjust to it. While, overall I would still say work from home is better.
lobojames9 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 13:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I'd like to have a hybrid option. Work from home, but go to office once/twice a week.
Bang on.

That would be my preference as well. I guess this should be an option on this poll as well.

I value the importance of going to office for the face to face interactions. But I do not feel this is needed on a day-to-day basis.

Working from home gives brilliant flexibility for someone like me who interacts with people from China to Denmark. I also don't need to be at my desk for a continuous duration of time to get things done.

With work from home I can schedule my meetings and interactions around the other personal obligations through out the day which eases things a lot on personal front. For the much needed face to face interpersonal interactions, one or two days per week is a good enough frequency.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 13:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

Voted for work from the office. My office has now opened and everyone who wants to work from the office can do so. I have started going to the office on alternate days now. Going to the office helps me to structure my day as well as have an undistracted couple of hours.

Rest of my team still work from home and will do so for the foreseeable future since that is the official HR strategy. HR says productivity has improved from individual contributions point of view. But I think that conclusion is flawed. Your work is not only about getting the assigned work done. Taking initiatives and coming up with ideas is also part of your job. Nobody seems to factor in that angle when they arrive at the effectiveness of work from home. The pace of execution of assigned tasks has gone up, but creativity as a team has gone down.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 1st June 2020 at 13:55.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 14:15   #20
BHPian

Voted for work from office.

I am working in a power distribution utility in Kolkata & most of our works are site based. Since this lockdown started our planned job's have been put on hold & we have been working from home for last 2.5 months. This is the first time am working from home this long & following are my experiences regarding work from home.

Advantages:

1. Saving travelling time of close to 2 hours which i am utilizing by reading books/watching web series etc.
2. Flexible working hours
3. Spending more time with family members.
4. Cost saving's with no outside food, minimum fuel etc.

Disadvantages:

1. I terribly miss driving to office.
2. No fixed working hour's. Working from home implies that am always available for some work(to our bosses)
3. No interaction with colleagues apart from formal online meetings. I miss coffee and chitchat sessions with colleagues.
4. No fixed office timings- It's good in it's own way but still fixed office hour's instills a sense of discipline amongst us which is hard to achieve by working from home.

Personally i would like a hybrid kind of model- 4/5 days going to office & 1/2 days working from home.
Fordlover88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 14:53   #21
AZT
BHPian

Slightly off topic but reminded me of an article last week
Facebook Dashes Hopes of Paycheck Arbitrage With Remote Work Plan
Quote:
With Facebook's adoption of permanent remote work on Thursday, Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg has untethered one of Silicon Valley's biggest companies from the place that incubated it.
But he also dashed a Silicon Valley dream: that tech workers would be able to take their generous salaries with them as they flee the Bay Area's crushing housing costs, dirty sidewalks and crowded roadways.
"Does that mean I could apply for a job in Silicon Valley and work remotely from, say, the Caribbean? Asking for a friend," wrote one user on Blind, an app designed to let workers swap information anonymously.
Read More: https://gadgets.ndtv.com/social-netw...k-plan-2233488

I personally prefer WFH mainly because it saves on travel time. Ideal would be a mix of both though.
Old 1st June 2020, 14:58   #22
BHPian

We can have a hybrid model, like have a weekly team meeting in office and rest of the day work from home.
This will provide best of both worlds. You'll be enthusiastic to go to office to mingle with energetic colleagues. At the same time relax and be more productive by WFH on other days.
Old 1st June 2020, 15:29   #23
BHPian

Voted for Work from Office.

I am working from home since the beginning of last year. Before that i have never done WFH for more than couple of days even though Work from Home was always an option for me. I have setup a separate room for work and is mostly insulated from any sort of disturbance during the working hours.

Pros:
1. While in office, it is always easier to walk up-to colleagues' desk in case of any help. In WFH, you have to call / ping the person and many a times there will be delay in getting the response.
2. Being surrounded by team members is something i am missing - during working hours and during break-times.
3. Being in a conference room with the team is always better for me for meetings than doing it via Skype / Zoom or other platforms.
4. Somehow, I like that one hour travel in the morning to think about the day's work.
5. I get too much panicky when the internet goes down or when there is lightening (for sure that is followed by power / Internet disruption mostly for safety reasons). In office, these kind of situation will not happen and even if it happens, it is not my responsibility.
6. Due to various reasons (both avoidable and unavoidable ones), many a times during meetings, i can hear baby cries / Traffic sounds etc from my team. For sure, in India we don't have the concept of Home Offices and for many, there are no ways to find a quiet spot for working in their homes.

Last edited by Thanos-VV : 1st June 2020 at 15:40. Reason: Signature came twice
Old 1st June 2020, 15:52   #24
A M
BHPian

WFH is not new to me. I have a small office set up in a separate room.

Though not an IT guy, I work as an advisor and consultant with Digital Health companies.

I'm a fan of remote work. This gives me the flexibility of being employed anywhere in the world while still running my clinic.
Old 1st June 2020, 16:03   #25
BHPian

Voted work from home. Reasons :

1. Commute. I live in Bangalore, 20 km away from office. Enough said.

2. Schedule I have my own time to manage and deliverables, not driven by traffic.

3. Family It would have been horrible if kid and parents were supposed to be at home and we in office. Gets very tough to keep kid engaged. Much better this way as we can attend kid, give him some homework and mantain eating schedule during our breaks.

Having said that - just today I wrote an article on LinkedIn, hope it is fine to share link here. If not, admins please feel free to delete.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/worke...aIO8kKOw%3D%3D
pahwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 16:18   #26
BHPian

Hate work from home. My job can't be worked from home. However in these two months of lockdown, I have completed many pending cost saving projects for my organization (part of the "perks" of being in management) and never have I worked longer and more hard than during the lockdown. Thank God that flights are now allowed and I am back to do what I know best, being in the cockpit.
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 16:34   #27
BHPian

I have been in field sales throughout, so we rarely go to office. WHF or client location is the norm. Don't find any difference
Old 1st June 2020, 17:42   #28
BHPian

Straight up I would like to mention that I am not a fan of work from home.

It is the first time in my life that I am going through this and even though frustrating at first, post 2.5 months, I have kinda gotten used to this. I still want to go back to the comfort of my office, meet people in person, work 'with' them rather than these daily e-meets. I really hope that this happens soon. Otherwise it was just about getting used to this new normal. I have proper high speed internet connection set up at home, along with a work desk with all the necessary facilities, minimal disruption in power and my organization religiously re-imburses my internet and electricity expenses right on time. What more can I ask for right ?

Well.. wrong, not everyone has a setup like this which means productivity does get affected sometimes. My company is urging everyone to get proper internet setup by agreeing to re-imburse all related expenses which is good. Even then there are certain internal issues which we face on a day to day basis that is affecting our service delivery. It is simply due to this disconnect and lack of 'synergy' if you can call it that. However we are ironing out all issues one by one and pulling up our socks.

Looking forward to something positive in July. Till then, I am staying home.

Cheers and stay safe !!
Old 1st June 2020, 17:45   #29
BHPian

Not voted since it cannot be a binary choice. Ideal combination (for a 5 day working week) is 3 days work from office and 2 days work from home.
amoghchaphalkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 17:51   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
Not voted since it cannot be a binary choice. Ideal combination (for a 5 day working week) is 3 days work from office and 2 days work from home.
Exactly! I'd prefer to work alternate weeks with a 3-2 | 2-3 combination.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks