Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2020, 22:57   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Food sanitization in the Covid era : Off the shelf, DIY & Cupboard approaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
If someone wants to be more cautious than others and spend time and money on sanitizing food, we should not discourage that person since the amount of study is not that extensively made on the virus, yet.

I hate to see so many doctors falling prey to COVID-19 in a country like us where we are in shortage of capable doctors anyway. Prevention is always better than cure.
Little question here, may be off topic as well but are you suggesting that the doctors are losing their lives because of not taking precautions ??
ABHI_1512 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 23:12   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Food sanitization in the Covid era : Off the shelf, DIY & Cupboard approaches

Quote:
we should not discourage that person
I agree. Let each one do what they think is necessary or even, more than necessary. I particularly appreciate it if there is research and a DIY project involved.

We do not do it, but I see no harm in putting everything, where possible, through some sterilising process before bringing it into the house. We are elder, but if we had people a decade or two older than us, or, if we had young children in the house, I'd probably be doing similar. I appreciate the thread.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 00:12   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Little question here, may be off topic as well but are you suggesting that the doctors are losing their lives because of not taking precautions ??
My answer is I don't know, but because these category of people whom we lookup for our own well being and entrusted advice are themselves falling prey inspite of all their wisdom, everyone needs to be alarmed to not let negligence ruin the game among everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Let each one do what they think is necessary or even, more than necessary.
Exactly my point, the definition of necessary is governed by bodies like WHO, a body that has changed its stance several times in past few months.

It's like when we don't know the answer we try to go elimination route, so what's the harm in eliminating a few more possibilities.

Last edited by haisaikat : 24th August 2020 at 00:17.
haisaikat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 08:58   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I agree. Let each one do what they think is necessary or even, more than necessary.
Quote:
It's like when we don't know the answer we try to go elimination route, so what's the harm in eliminating a few more possibilities.
Absolutely, I don't think anyone is suggesting that someone else stop taking whatever precautions they think necessary. During this pandemic situation and in normal times as well, each person does take precautions based on the resources they can afford.

The problem is that the media is already highlighting the outlier and 'hey, it is theoretically possible that you can catch it this way/it was simulated in the lab' cases and driving panic and fear. So it helps when the context is set for those cases.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 18:27   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

This man makes so much sense, every damn time but then to each his own. I believe him because this is what I have not done since March. Leaving it here :

Food sanitization in the Covid era : Off the shelf, DIY & Cupboard approaches-8a4e0d37d33d437c9447ddde300f68e9.jpeg

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 24th August 2020 at 18:29.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 20:07   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, a screen print doesn't make anything more true. Even with the letters "MD" on it

About wearing gloves for hygiene. I will never forget this, from quite a long time back when coronavirus didn't mean much to us...

It was an Sathabhishekam do. The lunch was being served. The servers were in their rhythm. And gloved. I happened to be watching the guy with the apalams...

Apalam right
apalam left
Apalam right
apalam left
wipe nose on gloved palm of hand
Apalam right
apalam left
Apalam right
apalam left

Yep. Hygiene is only as hygienic as it is... well, hygienic!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 20:32   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I happened to be watching the guy with the apalams...

Apalam right
apalam left
Apalam right
apalam left
wipe nose on gloved palm of hand
Apalam right
apalam left
Apalam right
apalam left

Yep. Hygiene is only as hygienic as it is... well, hygienic!
Hahahahaha

This reminded me of an episode some 20 years ago back in college. It was a government college with hostel mess(es) with such quality of food that only a govt hostel could provide. But one of the hostel mess was known for its delicious dosas that were made on a particular day. So much was the demand that there would be a line on that day with folks waiting for the dosas as they were made.

Some adventurous students (read: me) went ahead a notch and stood inside the kitchen area so that we could grab the dosas right off the hot platform as it's made. And so we got to see how the dosas were made....

- The cook puts a fresh splash of the batter on the huge hot plate/platform
- Use the spatula to spread some oil across the dosa
- Use the spatula to spread the potato masala over the dosa
- Use the spatula to roll up the dosa and serve to the next waiting student
- Keep the spatula aside for a sec...
- Pick up the broom lying on the floor, throw some water on the hot platform, use the broom to wash away the extra batter pieces from the previous dosa...

Repeat the process (/end)
I still waited in line and had the next dosa. And one more later after that (desperate times call for desperate measures)

Last edited by ninjatalli : 24th August 2020 at 20:34.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks