Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2020, 22:28   #16
BHPian

Re: USA: H1B visa aspirants might be in for a rough ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I'm one of those who struck out pre-emptively and got the hell out of the US in 2017. All the mounting toxicity and xenophobia got to me mentally. During the 2016 election rallies when matters reached a fever pitch, random people would stop and ask me if I was working for an outsourcer, if I intended to go back home or not, was I sending home dollars etc.

I'm glad I'm not there any longer. To hell with money and riches - peace of mind is priceless.
Sorry if this is off topic. How long were you in the USA for, and did you see perceptions change sharply in / around 2016 or was if a gradual move? Would like to hear your insights.
digitalnirvana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 23:52   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Sorry if this is off topic. How long were you in the USA for, and did you see perceptions change sharply in / around 2016 or was if a gradual move? Would like to hear your insights.
To be fair, I was only there for around 5 years - early 2013 to end of 2017. But I could see a sea change in people's attitudes in 2016 once the vocal tirades and haranguing began. I even had a fascinating perch to see a committed liberal Democrat supporter (my product owner) turn into a fang-baring conservative Trump advocate in 2016. Connecticut is supposed to be a Blue state mostly, but I can tell you that hatred of brown skin had crept into the state by the election year.

Interestingly, the people who would accost me out in public to ask me self-incriminating questions were the sort for whom I was never the competition - old white guys who were all mostly in blue-collared professions.

An interesting snippet: I was at the New England Air Museum on Veteran's Day in early 2017 - where for that whole day, retired airmen were standing beside the very machines they had served in and are kept on display at the museum. We were allowed to sit inside the cockpits of jets and choppers. There I was, in the cockpit of a Super Sabre and an old white employee came up the ladder to spoil the moment for me. My dad took a snap of him talking to me; it was only later that I told my dad what he had really asked me about - my return trip to home! I seldom even look back at pics from what should've been an unforgettable trip the air museum.

Last edited by locusjag : 7th July 2020 at 23:56.
locusjag is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 13:01   #18
BANNED

With Trump likely to get another term such issues will continue. If they do not want us them why are we insisting. As it happens the queues for citizenship are over a decade. Of course Canada and Australia are open.
sgiitk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 20:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Stayed in US for 13 years including during 9/11. In some states like Wyoming and Dakotas, have seen people stare but never have seen anything said against us.

MIT and Harvard have sued the administration for the visa rules
srishiva is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 21:13   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
With Trump likely to get another term such issues will continue. If they do not want us them why are we insisting. As it happens the queues for citizenship are over a decade. Of course Canada and Australia are open.
It's a telling statement that the well-educated in India with good economic prospects still want to emigrate to the developed world in droves. It's now an open secret that the USA has failed on many social counts, yet it's a no-brainer for many if given a choice between settling there or here. There must be something more than just embellished dreams sold by the west.

Almost half of Canadian PRs go to qualified emigrants from India.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th July 2020 at 21:34. Reason: typos
hothatchaway is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 00:51   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
To be fair, I was only there for around 5 years - early 2013 to end of 2017. But I could see a sea change in people's attitudes in 2016 once the vocal tirades and haranguing began.
Interesting. I made two short visits to the US at the same time period, both to Denver, CO. The first time in 2013, after finding out that we are software engineers during a casual chat, one old white lady staying in our hotel bluntly asked if we plan to return back or not. Came as a rude shock to me.

The second time was in 2016, before the elections and I found people very friendly. The volunteers/officials at public places used to ask if we had voted and advised us to get registered as voters when our answers was negative. And an uber driver even praised India for sending doctors and engineers to their country while our neighbor was sending terrorists.

A friend of mine was also commenting on how the acceptance of brown skin was getting better in the EU compared to his earlier days a decade ago.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 13:09   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
A friend of mine was also commenting on how the acceptance of brown skin was getting better in the EU compared to his earlier days a decade ago.
Acceptability of brown skin seems to be on a waxing and waning cycle. In the 1960s - 1980s, a brown man was frowned upon in North America. My relative who settled in Canada in the 1970s had to convert to Christianity and get an ivy league MBA to begin to be respected. Those of us who had gone to the US in the early 2000s swear that they were considered exotic or exalted (or both).

But in recent times up until 2016 - when you got on a train from Iselin (NJ) to NYC, and all you could see was a sea of brown faces, all speaking in a zillion tongues of their own, you could understandably see the grimace on the faces of the local people. I witnessed firsthand how locals wouldn't get on the same bus that I and 15 other desis would be in, in Connecticut.

One can see clearly that the Indian IT companies killed the goose laying the golden egg by sending too many of us over there. They simply gave the racist organizations in the US plenty of fodder to fire upon us with.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 15:13   #23
Team-BHP Support

And this happened on 4th of July in SF.

Tech CEO Apologizes After Viral Video Captures His Racist Rant At Asian Family

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachels.../#423363df7d5a

If he was not caught on video, he would have surely said "Who me, racist?"
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 22:45   #24
BHPian

Trump is slowly tightening the screws on H1b Visa program. Would the same be rescinded after the elections in November?

On Monday, U.S. President Donald Trump signed an executive order barring workers on H-1B visas from replacing American workers on federal contracts.

https://fortune.com/2020/08/04/trump...ral-contracts/
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 07:42   #25
r.K
BHPian

Cut to March 2021. Most of Trump's executive orders have been reversed. Biden is working on the clearing the greencard backlog for immigrants. Anyone undergoing H1B/L1, what is the scenario like now?
Old 2nd May 2021, 23:41   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
What happens to H-1Bs that are under processing this year? Will they be abandoned? I managed to get through the lottery and my petition was filed earlier this month. Does the ban mean that my petition would be abandoned? Or they would resume processing once the ban is over?
Did you managed to get through the H1b visa processing???
I am looking for interview tips..
Old 5th June 2021, 07:58   #27
BHPian

Woes of both, H1B aspirants and employed in US under H1B for Green Card are well known. But hard work is the Key to it.
My daughter moved to US for Masters and afterwards, instead of looking for a job, pursued Doctorate. Not satisfied with obtaining PhD, she carried on with Post Doc research.
Tough and hard work throughout.
She applied for Green Card through EB-1, category and was approved. Two years after approval, she has obtained Green Card recently.
True story of hard work.
Amrik Singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 14:08   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhar24 View Post
Did you managed to get through the H1b visa processing???
I am looking for interview tips..
My application was approved last year, but has not gone for visa stamping yet. I am not even sure whether they are stamping anymore.

BTW, does anybody know what will happen to my H1B if I change jobs now? Would I be able to use it with my new employer?
Old 18th August 2021, 18:12   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
My application was approved last year, but has not gone for visa stamping yet. I am not even sure whether they are stamping anymore.

BTW, does anybody know what will happen to my H1B if I change jobs now? Would I be able to use it with my new employer?
H1B is specific to a company/employer and employee. You will have to get it released from your current employer to your new employer provided both parties agree on a buy out amount.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 03:03   #30
BHPian

Hello,
Iam applying tourist visa(B2) for USA.
I have filed the DS-160 form, submitted too, interview next month, in 1 section it says
Address where you will stay in US
I have give NA.

If officer ask her in interview, why i gave NA in address, should i mention, my travel plan was not fixed, hence i gave NA..
any suggestions/comments please let me know

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks