Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2020, 13:13   #16
BHPian

Re: DIY: Makeover of an Abandoned Shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Now, need to do something about the Yard. Suggestions appreciated.[/ATTACH]
As an infant home DIY myself (compared to your skills), I am in awe! I know how difficult and sometimes frustrating such work is, especially when you terribly need a 3rd hand. But at the same time, for someone who is passionate about such work, nothing else comes even close to giving that ultimate satisfaction & sense of achievement upon completion.

As for the yard, why don't you try a mix of flat-ish stones bordered by grass for the pathway & pebbles (those rounded brownish stones meant for lawns) on both the sides. I personally love the sound they make when you walk over them or when a vehicle moves across. You already enough greenery around, so might not necessarily need more grass out front.
Probably plant a twin seating arrangement on one side?

Quick question about security for the place, hope someone stay there to look after it? You seem to have quite a lot of 'desirable' stuff there. Reason I asked is because the door looks like the PVC moulded ones, can easily be knocked down.
McLaren Roxx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 13:24   #17
BHPian

Excellent transformation dhanush! We would love to see more of transformation pics which you might have taken at each stage.What have you done to the roofing, was it just a cleaning and repainting ? Or you have changed it ?
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 14:04   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
So... this is how the place looks now.
That's fantastic. Ask any interior designer / renovator type contractor and I'm sure 90% of those would have said it needs to be demolished & rebuilt from ground.

The transformation is so great. It being a DIY makes it mesmerizing. The pleasure of doing it all as per one's own will & skill has no match really. You are quite an expert at what you have done I must say. What a lovely way to use own skills.

Wish you & your loved ones unlimited enjoyable stays and times at the little hidden place!
P.S. - The picture of the good old Pajero was icing on the cake!
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 14:12   #19
BHPian

Buddy this is incredible. Perfect for a team bhp Chai session on a long drive
Aviationshark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 15:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

AWESOME, just awesome. Sitting here, I can feel how you must be feeling every time you walk in that home you built yourself. These kind of DIYs connect your soul to those things you work upon

I have kept my office room in the house untouched without any fixed furniture specifically for this reason: I can customize it the way I want whenever I want. Now, I am inspired.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 15:40   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Just one word, AWESOME! Really worth the effort you have put in (3 months) and what a transformation. Add some plants and nice garden around the place and it is set. The vegetable garden would be better and help in your self-sustenance effort. You can add some old camping gear/tarpaulin to make car porch also he he.
Thank you! Yeah, two things you mentioned are on the list. Some plants and a car shed. Contemplating whether to make it out of steel pipes and sheets or something else. First I need to figure out what to do with the yard. Getting slushy in rains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazi.Kin View Post
What a transformation from black to white!! Awesome and Stunning DIY . Already you are a master in rebuilding jeeps, now with farmhouses also.
lol.. Thanks man! We'll get together sometime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Incredible transformation Dhanush! Loved the simplistic setup. Would be a nice place to unwind from the busy and hectic city lives. That Creative 2.1 speakers made me chuckle!

Thank you for sharing!
lol.. yeah, the Creatives' are actually 2 out of the good 'ol 5.1 Insipire set. Crazy good sound quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Stunning! That’s the word that comes to my mind. Absolutely fantastic. 5 stars!!
I wish I had such comprehensive DIY skills. This is wonderfully done and you’re now a proud owner of this wonderful place.
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post
As an infant home DIY myself (compared to your skills)
Thank you! I'm still an infant and need to learn a lot.

Quote:
You already enough greenery around, so might not necessarily need more grass out front.
Thats a good point.
Quote:
Probably plant a twin seating arrangement on one side?
And yes, seating on the outside is planned. Like a coffee table. I have enough wood chopped out of three other tables. Just need to buy some plywood.

Quote:
Quick question about security for the place, hope someone stay there to look after it? You seem to have quite a lot of 'desirable' stuff there. Reason I asked is because the door looks like the PVC moulded ones, can easily be knocked down.
The two doors entry and exit are made of wood with proper locks. But then if someone who really wants to knock it down can. The tricky part would be to get in, to the property. It's properly gated and has fencing. We also have a dog roaming around. Also, the road from the highway ends in our property so, no one will pass the property by chance. A cheap wifi CCTV might help though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilharis View Post
Excellent transformation dhanush!
Thank you!
Quote:
We would love to see more of transformation pics which you might have taken at each stage.
Actually, I don't have any on going pics. The thought never crossed my mind. Once the work was complete and I saw the old pics, thought I'd share.
Quote:
What have you done to the roofing, was it just a cleaning and repainting ? Or you have changed it ?
Few sheets were broken, I changed it. Rest were all cleaned and repainted. I painted the inside of the sheets Matt Enamel. Since wall paint wasn't removing the stains. The roof painting was the toughest of jobs since I used to end up coming home white face with paint in nostrils, ears and even eyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

Wish you & your loved ones unlimited enjoyable stays and times at the little hidden place!
P.S. - The picture of the good old Pajero was icing on the cake!
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviationshark View Post
Buddy this is incredible. Perfect for a team bhp Chai session on a long drive
Thank you! You are welcome anytime...
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 15:49   #22
AZT
BHPian

Brilliant. Reminded me of another video I had seen of a guy re-modelling his sisters room and doing everything himself. With your skills, you can also make a time lapse video like in below

https://www.reddit.com/r/oddlysatisfying/comments/gjejwo/this_guy_remodeling_his_sisters_room_the_way_he/

Last edited by AZT : 23rd June 2020 at 15:52.
AZT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 15:50   #23
BHPian

Great Job. I would have preferred the older rustic charm by giving it a simple make over. However , its good now. I am not able to make out clearly from the pics but if you are using the old asbestos for roofing , pl remove it as it is a proven carcinogenic. Mangalore tiles on roof and red oxide floor with patterns make a great combo.
srini1785 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 17:12   #24
BHPian

Incredible! Absolutely amazing, the satisfaction of doing everything yourself is simply unmatched! At home most of the maintenance, all the electrical and plumping is done by me, I thought I was doing pretty well myself and you are on another league

Thanks for sharing.
jonesanto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 18:36   #25
BHPian

Incredible transformation Dhanush. Congratulations.

Did you build the cots, the table and TV stand too?

Also, if you could share the cost of materials for this effort, that would be welcome.

Enjoy your retreat. If you surely feel satisfactory to dwell under one's own efforts, literally.
dearchichi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 19:17   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hi - for the yard, have a path that has cobblestones or similar so that there is a road out for your vehicle in the monsoons. Plant trees or vegetable and curry leaf bushes in the surroundings and also cut drain channels so the water drains away instead of stagnating.

Around your shed - as someone suggested a layer of charcoal (and add some iron nails, broken beer bottles etc to deter bandicoots not just termites) and stone paving is a good idea.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 21:05   #27
BHPian

Excellent job mate! Only 1 question. What did you do with those old window frames? I am a sucker for old patterned window frames!...I absolutely love them. As much as the newer sliding windows are good, I would have loved to keep them if they were in decent condition. Some look broken but others looked fab.
Amazing transformation though. Super!
Amsdoc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 21:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

I'm just out of words to appreciate you, sir!

This is another level altogether in terms of DIY. Pajero there looks all raw and suits well in front of the place

May be build a garage for the car with tools to perform DIY when you are there to unwind yourself. What better way to unwind than to sit in a peaceful place like that with an open yard surrounded by the greens and a good look of the car parked inside that garage would give you a lot more ideas to come up with for that majectic looking pajero
gururajrv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 23:28   #29
BHPian

Dhanush sir! Amazing DIY work on this front! I can vouch for this, being an architect myself, and working on renovations is always an interest to me, especially the process and the journey of transformation.
A quick question though, how did you manage to revive the red oxide flooring with its gloss? Did you use any industrial epoxy clearcoat to achieve the wet look on the floor?
advenk999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 10:25   #30
Team-BHP Support

Incredible transformation, Dhanush! Truly incredible!

The first few pictures of the out-house, pre-transformation, look straight out of a horror movie!

You could photoshop a ghost in there and it wouldn't look out of place!

For the yard, a nice manicured lawn and maybe a small pond would be perfect.

All the best, mate!
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks