Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2020, 10:47   #1
BHPian

Police brutality & custodial death of traders in Tamil Nadu

This is my 1st time starting a new thread on tbhp and I really feel depressed that it has to be about such a horrific topic. I have been feeling quite disturbed for the past couple of days because of the custodial deaths of the father-son trader duo at Sathankulam, a small town near Tuticorin in TN. The lack of coverage from main stream national news media is even more disheartening.

So I have started this thread to spread awareness about the incident. Only public outrage at the national/international level can bring those cops to justice.

The links to few articles about the incident:
https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...aths-tn-127424

https://www.india.com/viral/justicef...india-4068550/
Gildarts is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 11:47   #2
KMT
BHPian

re: Police brutality & custodial death of traders in Tamil Nadu

This is a terrible reflection on our Police the SI has merely been transferred so far

I hope these guys are brought to justice and do not think they are above the law.

Unfortunately because of such barbaric behaviour by a few, the entire Police force is tarred with a bad reputation.

Last edited by KMT : 27th June 2020 at 12:08.
Old 27th June 2020, 11:47   #3
BHPian

Another brutal example of misuse of power. And as usual the cops will be suspended or transferred. They should be severely punished, I would go to the extent to say they should be given capital punishment !
hareshjethwani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 11:54   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gildarts View Post
This is my 1st time starting a new thread on tbhp and I really feel depressed that it has to be about such a horrific topic. I have been feeling quite disturbed for the past couple of days because of the custodial deaths of the father-son trader duo at Sathankulam, a small town near Tuticorin in TN. The lack of coverage from main stream national news media is even more disheartening.

So I have started this thread to spread awareness about the incident. Only public outrage at the national/international level can bring those cops to justice.
Going through the links you shared, one must wonder if these policemen are psychologically fit to be humans at all. Even wild beasts and animals are more considerate.
Nissan1180 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 12:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

It boggles the mind as to why they were brutally beaten up and killed for just keeping their shops open beyond a certain time?

I am not saying it is correct but i can understand if they were some hardcore murderers or terrorists but this is just nuts.
deathwalkr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 12:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

I'm quite certain nothing will happen to the policemen involved. They'll be rewarded for enforcing the lockdown and given the current hysteria those two will be counted as covid deaths.

Ask a few people what they think about this, they'll reply that breaking the curfew is about the same thing as murder. Part of the this behaviour is the result of worshiping those in uniform or any unaccountable sinecure.
avira_tk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 13:25   #7
HTC
BANNED

Sad state of affairs indeed.
Hope truth will comeout and the bereaved family gets justice.

Its the mindset left by britishers that has carried over generation after generation. Due to high population and low police to people ratio, police feels using force is the best approach. Though military have more discipline and protocols in place, police are in uniform during part of the day and back to normal civil life rest of the day. Also, general public give them unnecessary preferred treatment which boosts their ego. All this makes few cops think they can do as they wish and get away from anything.

Perhaps things need to change. I have friends in police department and hear their side of the story as well. They go through lot of stress, family and psychological related issues due to the nature of their work. I empathize with them in such cases.

One thing i have learnt is not to show any weakness or fall for the cops antics during any kind of interaction ( read traffic stops). Ofcourse when I have not done any wrong
HTC is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 16:47   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gildarts View Post
The lack of coverage from main stream national news media is even more disheartening.

It's just inexplicable but I don't think any amount of media attention will change anything.

The system is rotten to the core. Look at the below video from the state of TamilNadu. A cop returns to work after recovering from COVID-19 and the festivities at the Police Station will embarrass a politician. Red carpet, balloons, rose petals showered on his footsteps, band etc. They wield an enormous amount of power and are treated like demi-gods.

kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 17:58   #9
BHPian

Corruption is rampant in all walks of life in our country. For most of the problem we face in our day to day life, we can trace the root to the corrupted behavior of government and people. Until we elect honest leaders, this will continue.

The police force is working in the front line during this lock down which is a difficult job. But their corrupt behavior is full on play these days. I have seen twice in the last month where they came to the shops in the pretext of enforcing the lock down. In once instance a police got 2 Kg of onion from a small shop where I am buying vegetables and in other case got a box of prawn from a vendor who was transporting in a Auto Rickshaw. All in broad day light with people around.
r_devakumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 18:04   #10
BHPian

https://www.apa.org/research/action/prison

Normal people given power over other individuals tend to misuse it.
Sree is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 18:58   #11
BHPian

IMO completely believable that the police is hiding it's foul play. Cops have good and bad side to the extremes. And for some reason, many of them have no conscience whatsoever. Also while many of them are good, the bad ones do not let the good ones meddle if they're making money out of it, or if it's a matter of ego!

I'm saying this from my recent experience with cops when some neighbors tried to grab my dad's vacant site, during of the lockdown.

Maybe bureaucrats can start by NOT treating them as shepherds! Also, metropolitan police need a raise, training and ALOT additional troops. The present state of Indian police is :
Under-acknowledged
Under-equipped
Under-staffed
Under-paid
Over-worked
Over-stressed
Over-burdened

No normal human can function normally in these conditions, much less with professionalism. IMO the path to solve this issue lies with demanding that our politicians bring meaningful police reforms.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 27th June 2020 at 19:01.
WorkingGuru is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 19:15   #12
BHPian

May they Rest in peace and god be with their family.

When I initially read this news, I felt angry over the brutality of the police, the way they have dealt with two innocent people life. They have destroyed a family today. On the other side, I am really scared that this can happen to anyone tomorrow. There are many good policemen out there and incidents like this by some psychos in police uniform would make people loose thier trust over them.

Only a hard punishment will teach a lesson to others and I pray our government does not stop by just transferring them or suspending.

Regards,
Bala
RBalaM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 21:45   #13
Team-BHP Support

Re: Police brutality & custodial death of traders in Tamil Nadu

I was horrified when I heard this. These guys need to be tried for murder. Absolute and utter madness.
Old 27th June 2020, 22:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

This was also reported in the front page of leading Malayalam news paper as well.
Old 28th June 2020, 00:06   #15
BHPian

Here are some of the first folks outside of Tamilnadu who voiced out.. Many followed later.

According to legal experts including a retired judge of the Madras High Court, the role of Sathankulam Judicial Magistrate is being questioned for lapses in ordering remand.

https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...judge-6478807/

https://www.livelaw.in/columns/jeyar...-remand-158998
Attached Thumbnails
Police brutality & custodial death of traders in Tamil Nadu-st.png  

Attached Images

rubicon is offline   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks