Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2020, 11:27   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Teachers in the avatar of Cars & BHPians

I know that a separate thread exists on Remembering Teachers, but thought I'd create one to specifically acknowledge the role of cars and bhpians as our teachers.

Teachers in the avatar of Cars & BHPians-img20200905wa0001.jpg

This picture says it all - teachers show you where to look but don't tell you what to see.

I've been fortunate to work in one of India's largest private companies where the spirit was always to challenge the impossible; taking a cue from that spirit, I've come a long way in trying to solve automotive issues myself to a large extent.

I'd like to take a while to thank the following cars and bhpians for helping me in fulfilling my mission this far.

Cars

I've been admonished enough by my family of being more attached to machines than humans. Nevertheless, here goes :

1. 1993 Premier Padmini - my first flood restoration project which I executed for a mere 3500 rupees in 1998. Here I serviced the AC without removing refrigerant

2. 1995 Esteem - my first brush with a modern sedan, which helped me learn the Mitsubishi aftermarket power windows, service the aftermarket power antenna, the tweeters and set the engine valve tappets

3. 2003 Maruti Versa - my first experience with a wheel cylinder leak and helping me appreciate why brake fluid must be changed typically once in 2 years since it is hygroscopic

4. 2003 Corolla H4 AT - my first automatic car and ridden with AC issues - helped me learn about issues with an R134a AC over 1.5 years

5. 2005 Corolla H5 - what a trouble free car should be like

6. 2011 Etios GD SP - my second flood restoration project which cost me approx 50k, but a great experience

7. 2007 Suzuki Grand Vitara AT - Parasitic draw test, ABS leak rectification , fixing an AT error due to a rat attack, fixing a steering wobble by rack nut adjustment, doughnut bushes for the lower arms, wading through water on 31Jul2009 were some huge experiences

8. 2007 Camry MT - fixing the power seat switch which had gotten disintegrated due to flood waters

9. 2007 Honda Accord AT - fixing a radiator fan with an M800 AC fan motor

10. 2010 Ford Endeavour AT - fixing bad UJ crosses, and rebuilding the grill for 10% of cost of a new grill

11. 2011 Nissan Teana - rebuilding the high pressure hose on the power steering for a fraction of OE cost.

There are many more on the list but I'll not elaborate.

Now, bhpians :

0. .Anshuman - have watched several off-road adventures and these have helped me understand how much slush is too much or how much sand is too much for various 4x4s. Not that I go off-road but this will help when I have to help some stuck vehicle someday

1. aaggoswami - for all ownership experiences with an 800, a WagonR F10, a Baleno, an Innova and a Swift

2. arun_josie - the 8597kms drive

3. ACM - what can go wrong with a BMW X3

4. Aditya - experiences with a 2006 Corolla

5. Bass&Trouble - for all your advice on audio tuning

6. CAPTAINREX - we engage in several discussions around cars and your ownership experiences have been insughtful

7. Chiranjitp - for your used car ownership experiences - Zen and Swift

8. DerAlte - for your inputs around car audio

9. DhanushMenon and DhanushS - for your relief work in non-navigable territory

10. epicenter.rulez - for being a "lamba race ka ghoda" ,clocking insane kms, and rubbishing manufacturer service specs

11. GTO - for helping me believe that a car can go 20 years in India

12. Jaggu - for all insights into the 2.4 Grand Vitara

13. Jeroen - for your old car ownership experiences

14. Karan561 - for the 2016 Fortuner ownership

15. Laluks - for experiences with the 2017 S-Cross

16. Leoshashi = Maruti

17. Navin - for patiently answering all my novice queries on ICE

18. NPV - for the Dizzy Drive experience

19. ParagSachania - 2,55,000kms on a WagonR

20. porsche_guy - so much info at such a young age

21. Samurai - for the Grand Vitara experience which helped me take a decision in 2014

22. Sankar - for the Innova Crysta upgrades

23. SantoshBhat - ownership experience with a 2003 Corolla - helped me when I was buying one

24. sgiitk - for introducing me to fundas around automatic cars

25. SJM1214 - for the Vitara Brezza insights

26. SS-Traveller - S for Safety, S for Scorpio

27. Sridhar-v - for maintenance costs around an AT Grand Vitara

28. Srinath.s - for great discussions around the sx4, Ford Freestyle, Apache

29. Sudev - for the 2,75,000km Grand Vitara experience

30.V.Narayan - for your ownership experience with an es300h which helped me help someone in the US; also for your scholarly articles on Aviation

31.Saket77 - for your maverick DIYs, the repair of autofold mirrors of the Civic and the reverse bleeding of mobike brakes in particular

32. iraghava - for helping me long ago with basics around tyre load index and upgrades

Last edited by Aditya : 9th September 2020 at 20:52. Reason: names added; typo
vigsom is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 10:06   #2
BANNED

Re: Teachers in the avatar of Cars & BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
I know that a separate thread exists on Remembering Teachers, but thought I'd create one to specifically acknowledge the role of cars and bhpians as our teachers.

Attachment 2051772

1. aaggoswami - for all ownership experiences with an 800, a WagonR F10, a Baleno, an Innova and a Swift
20. porsche_guy - so much info at such a young age
25. SJM1214 - for the Vitara Brezza insights
Knew these guys personally and hats of to their knowledge...
Old 9th September 2020, 10:51   #3
BANNED

Cars

1. 2013 Maruti Swift ZDi - Started to perform all DIY and learnt to do things without the fear of something going wrong (thanks to parts being available easily). My first teacher I'll say!

2. 2017 Hyundai Creta 1.6L CRDi - the DIY trail continues and many more experiments done on it, continues to be my current teacher.

3. 2009 Hero Honda Karizma R - Teacher on 2-wheels for all minor modifications and to start doing things hands-on.

BHPian's

1. interc00led - Best teacher I've ever come across. Helpful, kind enough to explain things in a simpler manner so it is easier to grasp. Also my DIY partner in crime.

2. Jeroen - Unbeatable technical knowledge and know-how of cars. Love reading all the posts & threads created by you.

3. Gannu_1 - DIY master and the other BHPian whom I look-up to when it comes to any kind of DIY to be done on cars.

4. GTO & Team-BHP - English! Helped me a lot to improve from what I was to what I am currently. Need to learn a lot.

Last edited by a4anurag : 9th September 2020 at 10:53.
a4anurag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 19:47   #4
BHPian

Cars

1. Pre-owned M800 2008

Taught how NOT to buy second hand cars. Paid almost 20k more than the actual cost as I got emotionally attached to the car. She came with a lot of problems later.

2. Maruti Suzuki Swift VXI 2006

Learnt the very basic things of cars. Like
  • Radiator working and its cleaning.
  • basic maintenance of engines and importance of timely maintenance
  • importance of suspension components in driving dynamics and comfort
  • importance of AC Filters in AC System
  • importance of proper driving in the overall condition of the engine.
  • importance of using correct grade engine oils and coolant grades in the vehicle
  • Learnt the basic working of a simple gasoline engine to conclude.

The above helped in my driving skills and timely maintenance. Though the swift is not in the best of conditions aesthetically. But the engine still has a lot of life left.

3. Volkswagen Vento TDI Highline

All of the above learnings I was able to use in my purchase of Vento TDI. She's also pre-owned and pre-worshipped too. Running strong at 140000 KMs.

Of all I learnt the working of TDI engines and the critical parts that I should take care of while driving and during servicing (the famous water pump issue and others).

The above cars have given me Tremendous knowledge about cars. All in all it was a great experience through a mix of bad and good decisions.

BHPians

I would not like to thank anyone particularly but to the whole community and its members who took time from their busy schedule and penned down their thoughts so beautifully. Thanks again.

Attaching pictures of the cars. Apologies don't have the picture of the M800 with me.

Teachers in the avatar of Cars & BHPians-20170426_172329.jpg

Teachers in the avatar of Cars & BHPians-img_20200622_182837__01.jpg
Old 10th September 2020, 02:02   #5
BHPian

My List

My instituition for learning has been the Safari Storme.
8 years with this baby has taught me so many things!
  • A thousand battles with the rattles in my car have taught me the importance of Sound Dampening and proper deadening jobs.
  • A stupid audio installer has forced me to become very well versed with the car audio technologies.
    ICE is an addiction now, I was warned by teambhp but alas!
    I have had to learn a thousand things like setting gains and crossovers to wiring the speakers, XOs and amplifiers again. I cannot stop fiddling with the Time Alignment, bass boosts and EQs all day everyday. It's not necessary but it's fun.
  • TATA A.S.S quality, (read "lack of quality") has taught me to perform so many small repairs and tweaks myself without having to get ripped off for a substandard job.
  • Dad got rear ended by an auto rickshaw when we were in Kanpur and I sat with my toolbox to get the reverse cam working again. This was the first time I took off a bumper, or any body panel like that.
And a thousand little things I haven't mentioned.

- The best one has to be the Maruti 800
My cousin and I stayed up till 3AM looking for car parts on boodmo and we were so goddamn amused at how cheap the parts were!
  • Fixed a broken rear bumper with araldite
  • Anchored and repaired the front bumper
  • Re aligned the headlights that were bent due to accident
Closing the door with the handle pulled to keep the car locked is something many will never do again xD

Grand i10

Although I knew in theory how to, I had never jump-started a car before.
The lockdown killed the i10 battery and I learnt here how to. I learnt a few things more in practice.

The Honda City has been way too reliable. It is the least used ride and the lockdown really put a hold on any trips whatsoever. The car and it's battery are rock solid.

BHPians

• Sam Kapasi.
    Although I joined the forum only in April, my addiction with ICE has taken me through most old and abandoned streets in the ICE forum. And every post by the man has put either a smile on my face or some gyaan
    in my head.

The "paisa wasool" post on his Superb thread has to be my most favourite!
    Have learnt equal no of things on how to live life from you as much as on ICE . "YETI STYLE"
  • Moderator Navin
    There is no way you can enter the ICE threads and not learn a bunch of things from him that you would never even imagine existed.
  • Leoshashi
    What a way to maintain your maruti!!
    Our maruti is going to be pampered with utmost care from now, ever since I've come across his Maruti 800 thread, I've been itching to go work on the broken bits and pieces on the 800.
It is not fair that I haven't mentioned the many other amazing BHPians who have taught me so many things about the rides and tech in them that we love so dearly.

Every single thread is packed with information I could use someday and I'm forever grateful to all of you.
Even this one
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...women-use.html (Words women use)

I'm sure I would've learnt a thousand more things if I went through the safari problems thread that I could actually use, But I'm too intimidated right now.

I've learnt a billion things from our Reviews and ownership reports that are UNPARALLELED to any on this planet.

And I'm sure I'll learn a trillion new things from all of you in my visits to this amazing place that's slowly starting to become my home.
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 08:48   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a thread backed by a lovely generous thought. In the Jain community they have a day when they seek forgiveness from all for hurt they might have caused in the year and thankfulness for being in their lives.. It is such a beautiful spiritual gesture. This thread too carries a similar higher sentiment.

Thank you @vigsom for this thread

My thanks to....

The Moderators, all of them & GTO for keeping this forum clean & honest and maintaining high standards of technical quality and language.

Thad E Ginathom for his impish dry humour and hidden gems of wisdom

Samurai, SmartCat and Ashokrajgopal for their treatises on economics, stock markets and other money matters us poor folks struggle with :-)

skanchan95, Foxbat, ads11, Jeroen, PGA, fhdowntheline, locusjag, libranof1987 , alphakilo for their immense contribution to the aviation threads. Gentlemen, it is a pleasure learning from each of you.

KPS, travancore,Katikeyal, Rehan, karlosdeville, anjan__c2007, stanher, arun1100, manishalive, for keeping our vintage beauties threads alive and booming. No playboy mag of yore could match the oogling joy of the photos you post. Your knowledge is simply mind boggling.

Sutripta for his pithy one liner googlies

hserus for his vast & useful inputs on a myriad of subjects

The Doctors on the forum who toiled through the last several months and continue to do so with the pandemic.

and....

Dhanushmenon for being our real life hero

And to my better half for tolerating the time I spend on Team BHP.
V.Narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 09:05   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
teachers show you where to look but don't tell you what to see.
From the posts I've read, I would like to thank a whole bunch of lively enthusiasts on the forum for their DIYs, and have two in particular to mention - @fluidicjoy and @Chhanda Das.

While it might sound unusual, mooshikas and most recently squirrels (remember the Baleno TCU) have indirectly shown where to look but haven't told us what to see. It is frustrating to encounter errors on account of clipped wires, but the learning out of solving such issues is invaluable.

Last edited by vigsom : 5th September 2021 at 09:17.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 11:21   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
teachers show you where to look but don't tell you what to see
More cars + more experiences = More teachers

A Toyota Corolla owner in another city complained of a non-functional AC display. I asked him if the stereo was also not working and the folding function of the power mirrors wasnt working. He confirmed all of them were off. I related this to my radio on my 2003 Versa going off 'coz I'd shoved a faulty FM modulator in the cigar lighter socket. This time, with the Corolla too, I suspected the cigar lighter fuse to have blown, and after instructing the owner on what to do, he found the 15A fuse for the cigar lighter blown. He replaced the fuse and all was well. I asked the guy what happened and he said his boy had put a metal pen inside the cigar socket, and that might have blown the fuse.

Moral of the story:

1. Learnings from one car might apply on another
2. Teach someone to fish and they'll get fed for life.

Display Off
Teachers in the avatar of Cars & BHPians-img20220902wa0014.jpg

Fuse box cover (above the glove box - note the 15A CIG fuse)
Teachers in the avatar of Cars & BHPians-img20220902wa0015.jpg

Fuse box cover - engine bay - the three empty rectangles indicate where the spare fuses are
Teachers in the avatar of Cars & BHPians-img20220902wa0017.jpg

The blown fuse
Teachers in the avatar of Cars & BHPians-img20220902wa0022.jpg

Display and radio working (Mirros also started working)
Teachers in the avatar of Cars & BHPians-img20220902wa0021.jpg
vigsom is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 12:46   #9
BHPian

Every post from every poster on TBHP is very useful, and help shape the perspective about a lot of things connected to cars, and even beyond.

I hardly touch my cars, except for driving, and leave the rest to experts.

3 names that come to my mind:
JoshMachine and BoneCollector - For educating us on TPMS related stuff and I finally ending up one getting installed in my car.
Amalji- who pointed to 'the care care nut' handle on you tube, where I got some decent understanding of the Toyota Hybrids.

Thanks to every single poster on this forum for their thoughtful posts.
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 08:06   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
teachers show you where to look but don't tell you what to see.
I've been updating this thread with someone or something for valuable learnings. Continuing from where I left off last year

Bhpians

1. Vishy76 : like LeoShashi = Maruti, Vishy76 = VAG
2. Porsche_guy : Except that he is too blunt and stubborn with his observations, I've personally learnt from him on a variety of latest automotive offerings - both passenger cars and CVs
3. BeemerBug_06 : For me, even a small point picked up from a person's ownership is half the research done. MRF Perfinzas on a 2005 Toyota Corolla were enough to help me help someone plonk the same tyres on a Corolla Altis - the owner is all smiles (and so is his wallet)
4. AshtonCastelino : he spends more time on his Swift than he does off the Swift. In my view, his updates on his 2006 G13B Swift can be the go-to thread for reference for this car
5. ParagSachania : for the rear wiper DIY and for his time invested in a well engineered car
6. graaja : the Wellness Coach!
7. Dr.AD : the Imaging Coach!
8. A.G., Abirnale and all XUV700 owners : for showcasing all the fine points and bugs in a flagship product
9. Jeroen : for periodical technical updates on his oldies
10. Hirohoto and the many owners of the Maruti Jimny : for showcasing this gem of a product and deflecting brickbats

Happy Teachers' Day.

Last edited by vigsom : 5th September 2023 at 08:28.
vigsom is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks