Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2022, 08:49   #61
BHPian

Re: BHPians, take care of your heart! Cardiovascular disease & heart attacks are the no.1 killer

I saw this thread and thought I will not need to read it in detail. I am 48 yrs old, 176cm tall weigh around 72kgs, resting pulse about 68, and until 2018 I used to run marathons. An injury happened on the 31 Dec 2018, which took time to heal, then COVID started and I have not run at all ever since.

I still felt I was fairly fit for my age, but yesterday 01 May 2022, something strange happened which has put me in lots of doubts.

I got up from sleep, and felt a bit strange, strange because my pulse was higher than what I have had ever experienced. I went to the toilet and after that checked my pulse, it was 176 beats per minute. I checked the BP it was 123/82. After about 30 minutes everything was normal. After breakfast I went back to my normal daily routines.

In the afternoon, while being out for some work, I felt that the pulse rate was increasing and my mouth was dry. Since I was close to my home, I went home. About 3 minutes after reaching home I again felt that the pule rate was increasing, this time it was something very abnormal. I checked the pulse and it was touching 189 bpm, except for feeling thirsty, there was nothing abnormal. The pulse rate used to go up and remained like that for about 20 to 30 seconds and then reduced to about 140 bps. Blood pressure was about 113/74.

Slowly the pulse rate started reducing but it was about 110 bpm until evening, it was about 95 bps when I went to sleep and is at about 70 bpm today morning.

I will be visiting a cardiologist today to seek advice.

Last edited by Axe77 : 3rd May 2022 at 04:53. Reason: Minor typos fixed
Brumby is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 21:09   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: BHPians, take care of your heart! Cardiovascular disease & heart attacks are the no.1 killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumby View Post
I saw this thread and thought I will not need to read it in detail. I am 48 yrs old, 176cm tall weigh around 72kgs, resting pulse about 68, and until 2018 I used to run marathons. An injury happened on the 31 Dec 2018, which took time to heal, then COVID started and I have not run at all ever since.

I still felt I was fairly fit for my age, but yesterday 01 May 2022, something strange happened which has put me in lots of doubts.

Yes, its a good idea to consult a cardiologist and get some diagnosis done. If you can find out certain tests that you can do to rule out 1> Myocarditis, 2> Pericarditis, 3> myopericarditis and if you can get troponin tests done to rule out any other heart related issues.

Have you recently taken vaccine dose? Have you recently recovered from Covid!

I have known a few friends with similar symptoms. One I met a couple weeks back. He has observed this post second dose of vaccine, along with frequent occurrence of higher heart rate than normal (this guy is a gym instructor/freelance trainer) and heart palpitation.

Another friend's wife has got similar symptoms, again post her vaccine dose. I'd suggest holding off any high intensity workout till you get things ruled out & find the root cause.

All the luck!

Dear BHPian,

There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by Axe77 : 3rd May 2022 at 04:50. Reason: Trimming quoted text; fixing some typos; formatting & language edits.
Ketan is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 5th May 2022, 12:30   #63
BHPian

Very helpful thread.

After my father suffered a cardiac arrest (and recovered fully) last year, I took the decision to perform a full checkup. While I was waiting outside OT where they performed angioplasty on my dad, the junior doctor present showed me the long list of patients they had for the day. The sheer number of patients who were under 40 terrified me.

I am 33 currently with relatively healthy habits of eating clean, limited sugar intake, 4 drinks max per week and exercises ranging from boxing, cycling to crossfit. I did have a year of smoking back in 2019 which I regret to this day. Doctor performed a Treadmill Test, Echo, general bloodwork & cholesterol panel. This was done at Manipal hospital in Sarjapur road, under the consultation of Doctor Mangesh. Thankfully tests were clear but the doctor did advice me to repeat the tests once a year or once in two years.

I have a family history of sensitivity to certain food items triggering episodes of severe acidity. For my father, he mistook the early warnings as episodes of acidity as they both present in very similar manners. So doctor suggested me to be cautious of symptoms including, prolonged heart burn, heaviness in chest, sudden sweats/ night sweats and radiating pains near chest region and tip of my fingers.

Thankful for another day of good health.
anoopGTkrish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 19:19   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopGTkrish View Post
radiating pains near chest region and tip of my fingers.

Thankful for another day of good health.
I have been having radiating pain at the top of my fore finger now and then. It’s a bit intense and didn’t let me sleep for a few nights. Now it hasn’t returned for a few nights.

Could you elaborate on this specifically if you can?
Old 5th May 2022, 21:57   #65
BHPian

Quote:

Visited a cardiologist and he advised a few tests. He however mentioned repeatedly that he is unable to diagnose anything. He did an ultrasound, asked me to do an ECG and a few blood tests (Lipid profile, Glycosylated Heamoglobin & Creatinine). Thank fully everything is normal, the test values are normal and nothing is even on borderline.

Surprisingly he recommended an Apple watch with ECG to have some information about such scenarios. In case a similar incident repeats, I have been asked to somehow get an ECG done to start with.

I am a little obsessed about fitness and having a paunch is something that worries me a lot and of course not to have one, the motivation to stay fit.
Brumby is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 20:25   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I have been having radiating pain at the top of my fore finger now and then. It’s a bit intense and didn’t let me sleep for a few nights. Now it hasn’t returned for a few nights.

Tingling sensations on tips of the fingers may indicate the deficiency of vitamin b12, I have heard that from my friend. When I had it, I experienced light headedness as well. See if you have something similar or if you have your most recent b12 report to tell you something about this!!

Quote:
Visited a cardiologist and he advised a few tests. He however mentioned repeatedly that he is unable to diagnose anything. He did an ultrasound, asked me to do an ECG and a few blood tests (Lipid profile, Glycosylated Heamoglobin & Creatinine). Thank fully everything is normal, the test values are normal and nothing is even on borderline.

Surprisingly he recommended an Apple watch with ECG to have some information about such scenarios. In case a similar incident repeats, I have been asked to somehow get an ECG done to start with.
Great to hear that all the reports are normal. However, its just the ECG and lipid profile; These may be more static diagnostics and may not show anything while the problem is not on surface. If you continue to experience the symptoms, I'd request the cardiologists to help me rule out the myocarditis /pericarditis or the combination.
Last I heard the ECG function on Apple watch wasn't that trustworthy, but if it has improved now, it'd be great to have such tool. I use Garmin watches for some time, just to keep a track of my resting heart rate, recovery heart rate etc. and with the new one it also provides respiration rate which I'm liking it.
Ref:https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...osis-and-tests

Last edited by Ketan : 6th May 2022 at 20:27.
Ketan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 10:47   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Not sure how much I can elaborate as it hasn't yet happened to me personally. Its what my doctor asked me to watch out for as a symptom. If you have any concerns around recent symptoms, its best to go and consult a physician without delay.
Old 10th May 2022, 09:55   #68
Senior - BHPian

Friends, I thought of adding a couple of questions here.
My father, 71, never had any history of heart related issues (no diabetes or hypertension so far) . He started to feel high blood pressure a couple of months ago. This was in range of 160-180 (systolic). On consulting the doctors. They took an ECG and asked to take the blood pressure medicines. Later he travelled to Mumbai (my brother's place) where I wanted him to do at least the Echo and TMT to rule out critical conditions. They got the Echo done in Mumbai which is not showing any problems. Now he is with us in Bengaluru, we usually measure his BP a few times in a week. BP has come back to normal, ~115/70. In the last 3 years, fortunately, he was with us in Bengaluru when all the lockdown happened in the past so far. I used to measure BP frequently and he showed this same number ~115/70 on regular basis in the last 3 years.
Now, since he is taking medicines (mostly calcium and beta blockers, which I don’t like anyone to take for long term) to control the BP. We don’t have the condition on hand and at the same time, we don’t know what could have caused it. Any other type of inflammation in the body may have triggered to BP is what my suspicion is. It's difficult to solve something without knowing the cause, which has been suppressed by the medicines now. Any inputs/ideas on how can we figure out the cause without taking him off the medicines? Eventually, we may have to stop medicines and get some diagnostics done to find out what could it be. However, if there are any such, non-intrusive diagnosis that can help us find out more, I'd be grateful. These suggestions are only to help me in a particular direction, in addition to doctor's suggestions of course, so not going to supersede doctor's advise.

Another question: I'm planning a drive in next month. It’s a 'Zen'-skar trip. I originally thought of driving and travelling (wife and I) very slow through new roads in Zanskar, staying at selected places for longer than usual, this was planned for 2 weeks. Come back to some beautiful place in lower Himalayas and stay another couple weeks working from there before I start my return travel. Now, brother and parents also want to join us, we may change the plan and try to include some well-known places on the route in and around Ladakh. I'm going to get the doctor's consultation prior to taking my parents on the trip and would follow doctor's instructions on any reports/diagnosis to be done. Any inputs you folks have on taking sr. citizens on such trip are welcome. Thank you.
Old 6th July 2022, 08:06   #69
Senior - BHPian

Bangaloreans need a help.

Need to know the recommended hospital where I can get a complete heart check up done. Its been now a year and more since I suffered a mini heart attack during my Covid admission and was diagnozed of a heart muscle failure. I am on medicines for heart thinning, blood pressure etc and frankly quite fed up with them. I still cannot climb stairs, run as I could pre covid and hence wanted to get the complete heart check up done. I am told Jayadeva and Narayana are the places to go. If any one has a first hand experience at these hospitals pls share.
Old 6th July 2022, 08:50   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I am told Jayadeva and Narayana are the places to go. If any one has a first hand experience at these hospitals pls share.
Jayadeva is good but you will retreat the moment you step in - the crowds are insane.

Narayana, Apollo and Manipal are safe bets.

Where did you get treated the last time?
Old 6th July 2022, 09:18   #71
HTC
BANNED

Quote:
Bangaloreans need a help.

Need to know the recommended hospital where I can get a complete heart check up done.
I am told Jayadeva and Narayana are the places to go. If any one has a first hand experience at these hospitals pls share.
You can't go wrong with either of them. But they are big hospitals and getting to specific doctor without recommendation would be tricky.

My mom-in-law gets her annual checkup done at Kanva Diagnostics, Dr Rajkumar Road.
I will get the doc name and message you.
You can give it a try. It's pretty well equipped and consulting docs are good is what I have heard. Do your due diligence and decide.

Take care of your health and don't worry too much. Things not gonna turn to better by worrying isn't it.

Cheers
HTC
HTC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 09:30   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Jayadeva is good but you will retreat the moment you step in - the crowds are insane.

Narayana, Apollo and Manipal are safe bets.

Where did you get treated the last time?
I was getting treated at Aster CMI Hebbal as its closest to my place. But during the heart issue days I was admitted at Apollo Hospital Jayanagar where I had undergone angioplasty. The doctors at Apollo are too hard to get hold of for consultation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
You can't go wrong with either of them. But they are big hospitals and getting to specific doctor without recommendation would be tricky.

Take care of your health and don't worry too much. Things not gonna turn to better by worrying isn't it.
Thanks for the concern. More than worry its the frustrations that I am unable to return back to normal sooner. I think the medicines are making me weak rather than my resolutions.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 10:14   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The doctors at Apollo are too hard to get hold of for consultation.
Dr. Ramesh comes recommended from a number of close friends and family members. He is known to follow a no-nonsense approach towards cardiac health. Try meeting him once.

For bare diagnostic tests, any reputed centre would do.

Disclaimer: No personal affiliation with or interest in either the doctor or the places he is associated with.
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 16:55   #74
HTC
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks for the concern. More than worry its the frustrations that I am unable to return back to normal sooner. I think the medicines are making me weak rather than my resolutions.
No worries mate. I see you are an ex Ford owner. Ford owners are sentimental a lot. Just dont let the frustrations turn to stress. Good things take time to happen. As the say - 'this too shall pass'. Keep your spirits up.

Between, I was able to get some famous cardiologists names

1. Dr Srinivas - who consults at Kanva Diagnostics ( My mom-in-law goes there)
2. Dr Javali - Old head, but famous. Fortis hospital
3. Dr Manjunath - Jayadeva hospital ( Former PM Devegowda's son )

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
HTC

Last edited by HTC : 6th July 2022 at 16:56. Reason: grammar correction
HTC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 19:35   #75
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

This is Dr V K Srinivas?
If yes, he is super. And he also is the Senior most consultant at Mallya.

He looked after me and cleaned me up when I fell ill because of excessive smoking 3 years ago.
Of course from that very moment on, I have completely stopped smoking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
1. Dr Srinivas - who consults at Kanva Diagnostics (
HTC

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks