Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2022, 20:10   #76
BHPian

Re: BHPians, take care of your heart! Cardiovascular disease & heart attacks are the no.1 killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
No worries mate. I see you are an ex Ford owner. Ford owners are sentimental a lot. Just dont let the frustrations turn to stress. Good things take time to happen. As the say - 'this too shall pass'. Keep your spirits up.

Between, I was able to get some famous cardiologists names

1. Dr Srinivas - who consults at Kanva Diagnostics ( My mom-in-law goes there)
2. Dr Javali - Old head, but famous. Fortis hospital
3. Dr Manjunath - Jayadeva hospital ( Former PM Devegowda's son )

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
HTC
Dr. Vivek Javali is one of the top cardiologists in Bangalore. He was very highly recommended and are happy that we went to him.

My father underwent an open heart bypass surgery 8 years back at Fortis by him and doing fine.

He is very good doctor for anything major, but may not be for routine consultation or checkups. He's a bit reserved and May get irritated if you ask a lot of questions.
Everlearner is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 13:44   #77
Senior - BHPian

Re: BHPians, take care of your heart! Cardiovascular disease & heart attacks are the no.1 killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Thanks for the concern. More than worry its the frustrations that I am unable to return back to normal sooner. I think the medicines are making me weak rather than my resolutions.
Buddy, I hope you are doing alright and may have started with your usual treatment for the problem you mentioned. Would you mind sharing what Dr. you've consulted for this? What is the condition that you are facing according to the medical professionals?

While you continue with your usual medical treatment and routine. There is one thing that I'd like to suggest. If you think adopting the approach on top of your usual treatment may help, you may take a call to pursue.

I love the way nature heals and helps us heal. This is surely not for an emergency situation. However, it'd be an approach worth looking at for long term results. Please consult Dr Achyuthan Eswar (https://www.nutritionscience.in/), he is in Bangalore. He usually recommends the whole food plant based lifestyle way that many in the western countries also recommending with very good results (https://www.pcrm.org/).
I once consulted him for my mother for an auto-immune condition and I was satisfied (although my mother did not/could not follow the guidance, we were on the edge of that emergency situation and had to go other direction).
He proposed to tackle it with multiple approaches, apart from the medicines as follows.
1> Lifestyle changes, that includes food habits, activity levels etc. (This is different from the usual diet suggestions)
2> Practices around meditation and how to avoid taking stress
3> Horticulture therapy - hands-on activities around gardening, outdoor living, sun exposure etc

Overall this approach helps you restore the diverse gut flora / microbiomes that was already there and lost due to modern practices, way too much of sanitization, hygiene etc. This microbes and gut bacteria is coming up as a new science. It plays a big role in science of epigenetics as well.
I'd suggest to make yourself aware about the subject and do your own research while taking a call for the approach. Wish you all the luck!
Old 19th March 2024, 15:36   #78
BHPian

Found this news item on the internet today, on the intermittent fasting and related issues: new research findings

The American Heart Association has published a 'surprise finding from research presented at a medical meeting'

8-hour time-restricted eating linked to a 91% higher risk of cardiovascular death

Quote:
Research Highlights:

A study of over 20,000 adults found that those who followed an 8-hour time-restricted eating schedule, a type of intermittent fasting, had a 91% higher risk of death from cardiovascular disease.
People with heart disease or cancer also had an increased risk of cardiovascular death.
Compared with a standard schedule of eating across 12-16 hours per day, limiting food intake to less than 8 hours per day was not associated with living longer.
Quote:
CHICAGO, March 18, 2024 — An analysis of over 20,000 U.S. adults found that people who limited their eating across less than 8 hours per day, a time-restricted eating plan, were more likely to die from cardiovascular disease compared to people who ate across 12-16 hours per day, according to preliminary research presented at the American Heart Association’s Epidemiology and Prevention│Lifestyle and Cardiometabolic Scientific Sessions 2024, March 18- 21, in Chicago. The meeting offers the latest science on population-based health and wellness and implications for lifestyle.

Time-restricted eating, a type of intermittent fasting, involves limiting the hours for eating to a specific number of hours each day, which may range from a 4- to 12-hour time window in 24 hours. Many people who follow a time-restricted eating diet follow a 16:8 eating schedule, where they eat all their foods in an 8-hour window and fast for the remaining 16 hours each day, the researchers noted. Previous research has found that time-restricted eating improves several cardiometabolic health measures, such as blood pressure, blood glucose and cholesterol levels.

“Restricting daily eating time to a short period, such as 8 hours per day, has gained popularity in recent years as a way to lose weight and improve heart health,” said senior study author Victor Wenze Zhong, Ph.D., a professor and chair of the department of epidemiology and biostatistics at the Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine in Shanghai, China. “However, the long-term health effects of time-restricted eating, including risk of death from any cause or cardiovascular disease, are unknown.”

In this study, researchers investigated the potential long-term health impact of following an 8-hour time-restricted eating plan. They reviewed information about dietary patterns for participants in the annual 2003-2018 National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys (NHANES) in comparison to data about people who died in the U.S., from 2003 through December 2019, from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Death Index database.
Quote:
The analysis found:

People who followed a pattern of eating all of their food across less than 8 hours per day had a 91% higher risk of death due to cardiovascular disease.
The increased risk of cardiovascular death was also seen in people living with heart disease or cancer.
Among people with existing cardiovascular disease, an eating duration of no less than 8 but less than 10 hours per day was also associated with a 66% higher risk of death from heart disease or stroke.
Time-restricted eating did not reduce the overall risk of death from any cause.
An eating duration of more than 16 hours per day was associated with a lower risk of cancer mortality among people with cancer.
Source: AHA website

KA Mods: post may be merged with any other suitable thread

Last edited by ysjoy : 19th March 2024 at 15:38.
ysjoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 17:05   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysjoy View Post

8-hour time-restricted eating linked to a 91% higher risk of cardiovascular death
Dude, this is shocking, me and my wife follow this OMAD and restrictive eating window for our lifestyle. Infact my wife lost over 50 lbs by IF lifestyle.

I am but sceptical about the findings. If we dig deeper about the sponsors of the research, we might find the truth.

In 2023 the Massachusetts court awarded $37 million to a women against Marlboro because she thought Lights will not lead her to cancer.
doxinboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 17:50   #80
BHPian

From the article,

“Although the study identified an association between an 8-hour eating window and cardiovascular death, this does not mean that time-restricted eating caused cardiovascular death.”

Hope there will be more studies and review following this with emphasis on what biologically might lead to it.
PreludeSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 18:00   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Why don't these guys complete all this research at one time in the beginning only :d
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 18:11   #82
Senior - BHPian

The coverage from NBC is a little more balanced, even though the headline is still clickbait-y:

Intermittent fasting linked to higher risk of cardiovascular death, research suggests

Few points to note from the article (emphasis mine):

Quote:
The analysis — which has not yet been peer-reviewed or published in an academic journal — is based on data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey collected between 2003 and 2018.
Also, there is no clear mention of for how long the diet of the participants was tracked. So, to me it looks like there is no accounting for comorbities or other lifestyle related factors that impact cardiovascular health.

Quote:
The researchers analyzed responses from around 20,000 adults who recorded what they ate for at least two days, then looked at who had died from cardiovascular disease after a median follow-up period of eight years.
Bottomline, wait for the study to be peer reviewed and approved.

Last edited by amitoj : 19th March 2024 at 18:13.
amitoj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 18:19   #83
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The American Heart Association has published a 'surprise finding from research presented at a medical meeting'

Unfortunately, the AHA is like the WHO and gives out a whole bunch of pharma industry funded “recommendations” based on “studies” carried out specifically to draw inferences/conclusions that benefit them. Take most of these recommendations with bucket loads of salt, to each their own.

Last edited by NPV : 19th March 2024 at 18:21.
NPV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 21:12   #84

Amazing thread !!

Have been following Intermittent fasting and eating meals only when hungry.
Gone are those days which our parents followed i.e. eating heavy meals at night after work.

Would highly recommend Dr. Siddharth Warrier's course on "Basics of Neuroscience" - https://https://courses.sidwarrier.c...f-Neuroscience

This should have been a part of curriculum in school, never the less, we switched to eating during day light only and only when hungry method. Added a Fish Oil supplement since Fish is not being procured regularly.
https://www.1mg.com/otc/dr.-morepen-...t-brain-joints

Exercise has been a part of day to day life, not aiming for a jacked body but a functional no pain high mobility is more than enough - so 30 mins every day works.
N1Krider_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 10:16   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Unfortunately, the AHA is like the WHO and gives out a whole bunch of pharma industry funded “recommendations” based on “studies” carried out specifically to draw inferences/conclusions that benefit them. Take most of these recommendations with bucket loads of salt, to each their own.
Further update from WebMD on the matter, ICYMI:
In effect, they have raised serious questions on the 'study'

My personal key takeway would be:
'research provides no reason to stop intermittent fasting if you currently see benefits.'

Quote:
Overheated Media Headlines

The American Heart Association issued a news release headlined: “8-hour time-restricted eating linked to a 91% higher risk of cardiovascular death.”
Media outlets piled on with headlines saying some forms of intermittent fasting – a diet plan where food intake is limited on certain days or in certain hours of the day – “may pose risks to your heart” or “could lead to much higher risk” of death, contradicting research showing time-restricted eating can improve heart health factors such as insulin sensitivity, inflammation, obesity, and cholesterol levels.
Among other study findings, according to the AHA news release:
  • Those with heart disease or cancer also saw an increased risk of cardiovascular death.
  • Among people with heart disease, eating in a window that’s no less than 8 but less than 10 hours a day was linked to a 66% higher risk of death from heart disease or stroke.
  • Fasting did not reduce the risk of death from any cause.
Those conclusions are premature and misleading, says Christopher Gardner, PhD, a professor of medicine at Stanford University and director of nutrition studies at the school’s Prevention Research Center, who commented on an abstract of the study for the AHA news release before study results were presented in Chicago.

Gardner tells WebMD that people in the study group who consumed all their food in a daily window of 8 hours or fewer had a higher percentage of men, African Americans, and smokers, and they had a higher BMI than those who ate over longer time spans – any of which could’ve raised the group’s heart disease risk. Also, investigators lacked data on shift work, stress, and other variables, including the important element of the quality of nutrients in their diets, which alone might have provided another explanation, he says.

As with all experts in this story, including the study’s co-authors, Gardner pointed out this research provides no reason to stop intermittent fasting if you currently see benefits.
Gardner, who isn’t a proponent of intermittent fasting, summarized in an email his thoughts on what he feels is the overstatement of the research:
“This particular finding is PRELIMINARY and should be treated with HEALTHY SKEPTICISM, and should await PEER-REVIEW before it receives any additional media coverage.”
In response to questions about the study and the presentation of findings, the AHA said its intention is always “to promote ideas and supporting research – in context – that stimulate and provoke discovery.”
The abstract, news release, and news article were reviewed by scientific experts, the AHA says, and the release included context and background indicating a link, not causality, and it said readers should always consult their doctors before changing their diet.
“We understand and regret that some news stories did not properly include this important context and did not report on this study for what it is – a single study contributing to the larger body of evidence. We will continue our efforts to educate and counsel journalists in this regard,” the statement says.
Quote:
Correlation Is Not Causation

Questions remain, says Jason Fung, MD, a nephrologist who has written articles and books on intermittent fasting, including The Obesity Code.
With their headlines, Fung feels, the AHA and media made correlation tantamount to causation, a mistake that would get any first-year medical student a failing grade, he says.
“The whole thing is just outrageous.”

Just because there’s a link between shorter eating windows and bad health outcomes in a particular population doesn’t mean the eating window caused the outcome, Fung says.
For example, he says, research shows you’re more likely to drown if you’ve recently eaten ice cream. It would be easy to conclude that eating ice cream leads to drowning. Yet a closer look shows people eat more ice cream in warmer weather, when they’re more likely to swim and drown. Thus, ice cream correlates with drowning but doesn’t cause drowning.

Another issue, Fung says, is that the study data was taken from a health and nutrition survey done by the CDC between 2003 and 2018, when intermittent fasting was largely unknown as a way to manage health. Most people skipping meals before 2018 weren’t trying to improve their health. They were ignoring what was then standard dietary guidance, he says. It could be that people in this group were more likely to have poor eating habits and diet.

In addition, study authors used just 2 days of self-reported eating activity to estimate 16 years of dietary habits, says Krista Varady, PhD, a kinesiology and nutrition professor at the University of Illinois, Chicago, and co-author of several fasting studies.
“I think the conclusions are extremely overstated,” she says. “Two days of diet record data is NOT at all reflective of an individual’s regular eating pattern – this is a major limitation to the study.”
“The science is very, very sloppy. You expect better,” Fung says.
Quote:

Response From Study Authors

Study co-author JoAnn Manson, MD, MPH, DrPH, a Harvard University professor of medicine, said in a statement, “Correlation doesn’t prove causation, and we’ll need more research to understand whether the observed associations are cause and effect.”
Randomized clinical trials are necessary to test whether the timing of meals or duration of fasting changes health outcomes. Until those trials, she says, the links “shouldn’t lead to alarm or to changes in one’s preferred and long-term dietary habits.”
Another co-author, Victor Wenze Zhong, PhD, a professor and chair of the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics at the Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine in China, acknowledged that despite controlling for many demographics and health factors, “This is only an observational study that is subject to many limitations.”
The findings do not mean a shorter eating window causes cardiovascular death, he says, but given the lack of long-term data on time-restricted eating, patients should be “extremely cautious” before following the diet for years. Zhong insists in the news release, “Our research clearly shows … a shorter eating duration was not associated with living longer.”

It’s not clear why, Zhong tells WebMD, but those who restricted eating to 8 hours or fewer per day had less lean muscle mass than those with longer eating windows, which “has been linked to higher risk of cardiovascular mortality.”
He, too, calls for randomized clinical trials but notes that a study demanding people stick to eating schedules as investigators follow their progress for years “is challenging to conduct if not impossible.”
“This study unfortunately is not able to well answer the underlying mechanisms driving the observed association between 8-hour (time-restricted eating) and cardiovascular death.”
Source: WebMD article
Old 26th March 2024, 10:29   #86
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My personal key takeway would be:
'research provides no reason to stop intermittent fasting if you currently see benefits.'
Please watch this video by Thomas DeLauer .
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 11:25   #87
Team-BHP Support

There will always be two sides to an argument. It's not just about fasting, it's what you eat and what you do (sedentary lifestyle coupled with junk food) that can cause multiple health issue. Secondly, I just follow 2 Indians, Luke Coutinho and Jitendra Chouksey and they know their job well and do all research before opening their mouth.

You may watch or skip this, depending on if you want to listen to the other side.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/945523210025737

Secondly, if IF does not suit you, don't do it. Do what suits you.

Last edited by Sheel : 26th March 2024 at 12:27.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks