Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2021, 22:05   #46
BHPian

Re: The Musical Instruments Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomson13 View Post
Any feedback on the Udemy course?
I gave a small feedback at post #13. Basically, it's useful for learning accompaniment.

I lurk at the Adult Beginners section at the pianoworld forum, and the consensus is:

1. Best: Use a teacher
2. Next best: Use Alfred's method books and the videos from Piano Adventures for Adults on YouTube channel by Gale Wolfe.

I'm doing 2.

I've also started self learning recorder. Surprisingly, it's a very capable instrument.

Last edited by proton : 1st April 2021 at 22:07.
proton is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 09:59   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton View Post
I gave a small feedback at post #13. Basically, it's useful for learning accompaniment.

I lurk at the Adult Beginners section at the pianoworld forum, and the consensus is:

1. Best: Use a teacher
2. Next best: Use Alfred's method books and the videos from Piano Adventures for Adults on YouTube channel by Gale Wolfe.

I'm doing 2.

I've also started self learning recorder. Surprisingly, it's a very capable instrument.
Nice to hear that proton.
I myself am following # 1 who inturn follows Alfred's book
Old 12th April 2021, 17:26   #48
BHPian

OMG. I just had an epiphany:

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...ji5hNEPP0,st:0
Old 1st June 2021, 19:32   #49
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone here use a wind controller like the Akai EWI or Roland?
Old 1st June 2021, 21:18   #50
BHPian

It's great to see so many team bhpians to be musically inclined and doing some real great work!! Excellent stuff!

I am probably the most "un"- musical person one would have come across. If you know what I mean!

Yet, I just love listening to Indian music, desperately want to.learn atleast one musical instrument before I die. Though I am still searching for that one instrument that I will be able to play.
Right now I have a Gibson Guitar, a pair of Bongo, a Djembe and Casio keyboard. All beginner level instruments, not me! I am atleast 5 points below negative in playing or understanding music.

I even took up classes for Guitar and keyboard and I still can't get a hang of what to play when. One day, I will!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 22:21   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
....I still can't get a hang of what to play when. ...
It is a slow and long process involving several years to even become even moderately good with any instrument.

The key thing is to be able to recognise notes and chords. To be able to do so takes an awful lot of time.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 09:41   #52
Team-BHP Support

Does this app qualify as an autonomous musical instrument?

Old 18th June 2021, 14:44   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

An electronic microtonal instrument for your computer, developed, if I recall correctly, in India:

Din-Is-Noise

It's fun to mess around with, but can get really complicated very quickly. Trying to learn its keystrokes is worse than trying to learn EMACS! (I'm a vi man).

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 18th June 2021 at 14:47.
Old 18th June 2021, 17:39   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

I lack memory skill and I'm almost innumerate: not good for a carnatic musician. In Chennai, I found that even the littlest kids were way ahead of me. I settled in to being just audience
Same here, lacked the memory for it and was bad at counting the letters for the rhythm. I could never pickup advanced courses, but my basics were strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankuthimma View Post

I also love to learn Mrindagam someday!
If you are interested, I can introduce you to my teacher. He is based out of Bangalore , basvangudi.
girimajiananth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 03:09   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
If you are interested, I can introduce you to my teacher. He is based out of Bangalore , basvangudi.
Thanks but no. I'll stick with just being audience now. Technically, I have a mridangam teacher, as we are still friends, but he is in London. Being a regular Chennai rasika, I wouldn't have to look far to find someone that I could learn from, if I ever did want to hands-on learn again.
Old 20th June 2021, 08:14   #56
BHPian

Quote:
. Though I am still searching for that one instrument that I will be able to play.
Right now I have a Gibson Guitar, a pair of Bongo, a Djembe and Casio keyboard. All beginner level instruments, not me! I am atleast 5 points below negative in playing or understanding music.

I even took up classes for Guitar and keyboard and I still can't get a hang of what to play when. One day, I will!
Try some more instruments. I have a recorder that I was given by a family in UK which their young son was given for free in school. Music lessons are compulsory there.

It costs about 500/- on Amazon or Flipkart, and a yamaha about 600/-. I'm setting up an online system for my teacher in B'lore. Will give you the link when it's up.

It's very easy (it's a whistle!) and sounds great. I can play Ek Pyar Ka Nagma He and it's glorious! See the quality:

Last edited by proton : 20th June 2021 at 08:17.
Old 20th June 2021, 18:10   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Try some more instruments. I have a recorder that I was given by a family in UK which their young son was given for free in school.
Commonly played by kids in Britain, the perception of the recorder is that it is a poor-sounding, screechy instrument. Part of the problem is cheap, plastic recorders, part of the problem is kids, but the biggest reason is that these groups don't even tune the recorders.

I never learned properly. Messed around for many years. Never even learned all the fingering for whole chromatic scale or the higher notes. None the less, I enjoyed my recorders very much, even the cheap plastic ones. They really do come at every price, from almost nothing to how much have you got! But a nice wooden one feels and plays better.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 20:44   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Try some more instruments. I have a recorder that I was given by a family in UK which their young son was given for free in school. Music lessons are compulsory there.

It costs about 500/- on Amazon or Flipkart, and a yamaha about 600/-. I'm setting up an online system for my teacher in B'lore. Will give you the link when it's up.

It's very easy (it's a whistle!) and sounds great. I can play Ek Pyar Ka Nagma He and it's glorious! See the quality:

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=z32ndNKUg18
Thank you for your encouragement! Will surely give it a try!

Just so that I am sure, is this the instrument you are suggesting? If not, can you please post a link for the same?

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00EJF5Y26/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Would surely look forward to the the online link!
Old 22nd June 2021, 11:21   #59
BHPian

Quote:
?
Even cheaper:
https://www.amazon.in/YAMAHA-YRS24B-...=1&ext_vrnc=hi

Quote:
Would surely look forward to the the online link!
Your first lesson:

Old 22nd June 2021, 20:17   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Sooo long since I even picked up a recorder... but I'd emphasize tonguing. Many beginners will pick it up and fff fff fff or, as she says, do some constrictive thing in the throat. Don't. Do t... t... t... right from the off.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks