Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2020, 20:48   #31
BHPian

Re: Half the world's population could be overweight by 2050

Out here the main three categories of commercials on TV are Autos, Fast Food and Medication. Combine all three and you have the recipe for increasing obesity. Add to the fact that electronic devices are consuming time that would have been used for physical activity.
mmxylorider is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 22:16   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviK View Post
Interesting observation, however there are many more variables in play if we look at obesity from a global perspective.

So while there are way more fitness freaks in caucasian populations compared to Asians, the overall ratio of obese folks is higher (despite more prosperity & education). So seems like there are other factors in play as well if looked from a global level)
there are many different factors and variables that do come into play. But almost every single one of them can and is mitigated by a large extend through education. Your comments on the more prosperity and education for caucasian populations is not entirely correct. In the sense that there are huge differences in levels of prosperity and education in caucasian populations as well. And again, you will find the very same pattern; those caucasians with lower education will be more likely to b obese!

You can look at the most prosperous, still mostly caucasian countries, such as Sweden and the Netherlands and you will find the exact same pattern; Those groups of poorly educated caucasian are more obese than the caucasian with higher education. If you add in different race the differences increase.

Education is one of the biggest differentiators on just about anything.

Look at all these comments on different factors and variables in the previous post. Every single one is likely to be affected by your level of education.

Unfortunately, in many countries, including many western countries, good education is still a privilege, not a given right to everybody. The USA being amongst the worst offenders in the western world!

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 12:25   #33
BANNED

Weight gain and obesity have been major health concerns for people across the world. As per the World Health Organization, the rate of global obesity has nearly tripled since 1975. One of the main factors that lead to excess fat deposition in the body is our food habits. Experts suggest that over the years, our focus shifted from whole grains, pulses and other plant-based foods to the decadent sugary and fat-laden dishes (pizza, fries ice-cream and other similar food products). This food pattern further leads to various health-related troubles.
Old 12th December 2020, 12:53   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterRider 7 View Post
Weight gain and obesity have been major health concerns for people across the world. As per the World Health Organization, the rate of global obesity has nearly tripled since 1975. One of the main factors that lead to excess fat deposition in the body is our food habits. Experts suggest that over the years, our focus shifted from whole grains, pulses and other plant-based foods to the decadent sugary and fat-laden dishes (pizza, fries ice-cream and other similar food products). This food pattern further leads to various health-related troubles.

I don’t want to sound like a broken record, but in order to get to the real root cause you need to ask thequestion: Why do people change their eating habit to one that leads to very serious health issues? And again it is down to education.

Look at obesity, look at drinking, look at smoking. Anywhere in the world, no matter how you dice or slice the population you will find there is a strong correlation between level of education and the adaption of these bad habits.

Anywhere in the world, people with college/university degrees are less obese, drink less and smoke less compared to their counter parts with no or less education.

(Good) Education and health care, available and accessible to all is the world big equalizer! Some, based on race, gender and or environment into which they are born, have a (much) better starting position than others. But the same rule applies. Look at hugely prosperous nations such as Sweden, the Netherlands, Denmark. Obesity, smoking, drinking might be on a very different level than in other countries. But again, the better educated are less obese, drink less and smoke less than those with less education. It's a universal rule.

There are groups in our society who might be more susceptible to becoming obese, due to genetic reasons. Even amongst those groups, you will see the same trend. Education allows you to deal better with, be more aware and adjust your lifestyle to your genetic impairment.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 12th December 2020 at 12:54.
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 13:00   #35
Senior - BHPian

Agree with education being a very important criteria. Its the same in other spheres of life too. People who commit crimes, most people in jail, being fit/healthy, everything has correlation to education.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 13:41   #36
BHPian

The title sounds about right!

We are getting leaner on robotics, process industries, automation, manufacturing, etc. while the human race as such gets fatter! Balance is over all restored.

It's such a beautiful sight to behold a well maintained and cared for physique. Reflection also of the self-discipline and self-respect people hold towards themselves - in most cases, that is, while discounting any genetic or so disorders.
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 17:35   #37
Team-BHP Support

In my opinion, there are so many factors that have contributed to this obesity epidemic.

1. The food pyramid: Worldwide, when fat was made the villain, and people reduced their fat in diet, fat was replaced with carbs (bread, pasta, rice etc.). This has been one of the key contributors to insulin resistance which further leads to obesity and diabetes. There is lots of research happening on this.
2. Constant eating: A few decades back, people used to have at most 3 meals a day - breakfast, lunch and dinner. And they used to have an early dinner. But today, we eat anywhere between 5 to 6 meals a day including snacking, and we start eating at 6 in the morning with that coffee loaded with sugar to 10 in the night when we have our late dinner. This results in our body getting constantly exposed to insulin which contributes to insulin resistance which furhter leads to obesity and diabetes.
3. Processed food: In today's fast life, we eat too much of processed food and food loaded with sugar - cereals, ready to cook food, cakes, pastries to name a few. Super market shelves are loaded with packed food. All these processed carbs and sugar lead to diabetes and obesity.

Even in households where people eat only home cooked food, you can find obesity if the staple food is carbs (like rice, rotis, pasta, bread etc). Even in educated population, you can find obesity as the education itself is wrong most of the times (most nutritionists and doctors still stick to the eat less, move more, avoid fat philosophy which has been proven wrong).
graaja is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 20:58   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

I just came across the sobering article about obesity in the UK

Over a million hospital admissions for obesity

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57144922

Quote:
medicine, at the University of Glasgow, says obesity is "the strongest risk factor for [Type 2] diabetes".

t's a strong risk factor for heart disease, for heart failure, for lung disease, for kidney disease, for multiple other conditions," he says.

If we now add to that obesity is a strong risk factor for this acute viral pandemic which is killing people worldwide, then... this is a wake-up call.
Old 18th May 2021, 23:32   #39
BHPian

This is happening everywhere. The US is killing people all over the world with their junk food.

A friend of mine in Malaysia is a doctor who had a 12 year old patient that had diabetes and weighed 60 kilos. He sat in a wheelchair. His mother blamed him for not giving him good medicines. His diet was McDonalds with Coke for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Otherwise he would not eat.

It has been at least 10 years since I tasted a Coke or other soft drink. I drink only tap water. When I travel by car, I have my own food along with me. I have not seen the insides of a restaurant for just as long.

I found this on youtube. The US has declared war on all countries of the world.

Indian2003 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 10:51   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a good documentary that covers the greed of corporations and subsequent rise of obesity and diabetes across the world

From US to Mexico to South America to Europe.

ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 11:36   #41
BHPian

In countries like USA, it is cheaper and easier to eat unhealthy food than to cook a healthy meal at home. Also, due to the subsidies on corn, almost everything on the plate is derived from corn (including high fructose corn syrup which is used instead of sugar).

In poorer countries, it is mostly the section of people who have access to processed food that grow obese. The impact of the pandemic and the sedentary lifestyle that it has lead to, will also contribute to more people becoming overweight. I gained a lot of weight to reach around 72 kg during the lockdowns. More than the weight, I noticed a change in how healthy I felt. I started controlling what I ate, and started an exercise routine. I have lost 5 kg over the last 4 months, and I am felling a lot better.

The food you get to eat decides whether you become overweight or not.
KL01toKA03 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 15:25   #42
Senior - BHPian

Govt Of India did a very good thing, many years back, and that was to make it mandatory for all packaged food manufacturers to declare the contents, and nutrition profile on the packaging.

This helped people like me in evaluating the amount of harm that can potentially be caused. One key pointer in the nutrient profile is the amount of sugar added. It is usually under Carbohydrates.

Off late, there is a new trend by the marketers to abuse this. In many beverages I see "0" mentioned against the Added Sugar. In fact some items carry this "no sugar added" across their packaging.

Now wait, what you could be wrong here? Upon further investigation - you will find that calories are the same as other items. If you examine the ingredients, you will find sugar euphemisms mentioned like "apple juice", "cane syrup" etc - which are for all means practically SUGAR. But the marketers doesn't want to disclose that, but in fact takes creative liberty to advertise it as ZERO added sugar.

Buyers beware.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 18:05   #43
BHPian

This is a rather alarming headline, since it seems like only yesterday when I was being taught about undernourishment being rampant among children and yet here we are. The unfortunate reality is that there are a lot of people on both extremes. Extremely undernourished and obese. Even more perplexing is that the cause of both is poverty but for different reasons.

In the USA, as others have mentioned here, it is cheaper to eat fast food than buy vegetables and fruits to have at home. This is mostly unique to the USA though; elsewhere it's all kinds of food simply being unaffordable to impoverished individuals.

A lack of education also plays a part, since even those with the willingness AND ability to buy healthy food may choose not to do so due to information failure on their part.

In my Economics class in school, we discussed this issue at length. Even though it is not treated like it, fast food is very close to being a demerit good with respect to its harmful effects that go unrealised by consumers. Improved education will go a long way to help along with possibly subsidising healthy food.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 22:14   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForceEnjoyer View Post
In the USA, as others have mentioned here, it is cheaper to eat fast food than buy vegetables and fruits to have at home. This is mostly unique to the USA though; elsewhere it's all kinds of food simply being unaffordable to impoverished individuals.
Far from unique to the USA. It’s the exact same thing in just about all western countries and quite a few others as well.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 17:46   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Govt Of India did a very good thing, many years back, and that was to make it mandatory for all packaged food manufacturers to declare the contents, and nutrition profile on the packaging.

This helped people like me in evaluating the amount of harm that can potentially be caused. One key pointer in the nutrient profile is the amount of sugar added. It is usually under Carbohydrates.

Off late, there is a new trend by the marketers to abuse this. In many beverages I see "0" mentioned against the Added Sugar. In fact some items carry this "no sugar added" across their packaging.

Now wait, what you could be wrong here? Upon further investigation - you will find that calories are the same as other items. If you examine the ingredients, you will find sugar euphemisms mentioned like "apple juice", "cane syrup" etc - which are for all means practically SUGAR. But the marketers doesn't want to disclose that, but in fact takes creative liberty to advertise it as ZERO added sugar.

Buyers beware.
Here, found an offending example of what I wrote.
"Health" Buyers beware. You are being conned. Though there is technically nothing wrong labelled on the packaging, it is being done to purposefully mislead you.

Sugar is sugar, whether I label it as sucrose or refined cane syrup or fruit concentrate. Whether I add it or whether it is present by default.

This drink (attached photo) contains SUGAR ... and in my opinion (comparing the taste with others) it 12.2 g of sugar per 100 ml of this bottle.
Imagine how much you are gulping down with this bottle?
(750 ml x 12.2 g / 100 ml) = 91.5 g (20-25 teaspoons) !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Half the world's population could be overweight by 2050-1663586729454.jpg  

Half the world's population could be overweight by 2050-1663586729463.jpg  

Last edited by alpha1 : 19th September 2022 at 17:50.
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks