Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2020, 10:47   #31
BHPian

Re: Pics: Using your car as an office

I would have attended some 500+ meetings while on drive. BT enabled audio is a boon and most of my 25KM travel between my home and work will have a planned meeting. Very productive and importantly a stress free drive. How many of you enjoy getting stuck in a choc a bloc traffic. I do, when I'm in a meeting.

One instance, which I may never forget, is a meeting I attended at 3:00 AM. We were working on a last minute release work. Handed over the work to the onshore team and started back to home at 2:45 AM. Received a call at 3:00 AM. Understood it will take some time and so parked the car next to the Kotturpuram Police station on the Gandhi mandapam road and attended it. One of the constable came enquiring about my parking at that place and time. I told him, that I'm in a meeting and didn't want to drive. They kept a watch on me and by the time I was completing my call it was 4:00 AM. Just when I was about to start, I got a tea delivered and the police ordered and payed it for me. Thanked them and continued my journey back.

Last edited by saisree : 3rd December 2020 at 10:48.
saisree is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 11:09   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Ever used your car as an office?
Yes. For a couple of months during initial days of lockdown.
Middle row of Hexa is an excellent place to work.
Old 3rd December 2020, 11:14   #33
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Just when I was about to start, I got a tea delivered and the police ordered and payed it for me. Thanked them and continued my journey back.
Great gesture there by Kotturpuram police. I used to enjoy very late night tea and sandwich fillings in that Kotturpuram Junction during my college days.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 11:38   #34
Senior - BHPian

Not during the lockdown.

But I have done a bunch of Google Meet meetings on my commute prior to the Lockdown using the Bluetooth HU. Helped make the time of the commute productive instead of being wasted in traffic. Audio only meetings are alright in such scenarios but this doesn't work if video/screen sharing is involved.

I have flexible timings and I always tried to ensure that my first meeting of the day coincided with my commute. Helped me set the tone of the day. No such shenanigans required now though.
Old 3rd December 2020, 12:04   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Ever used your car as an office? Well, that's exactly what I am doing right now.
I would say that my experience is more about 'work from car' as against a full fledged use of 'car as an office'. Let me elaborate more:
  • Concalls from Car: Before pandemic, I was using the office provided shared cab. Working with US Team ensured late evening concalls, involving audio as well as screen sharing. I would attend these calls while riding back home. The advantage was optimal usage of 1.5-2 hours of travel time The challenge was road/traffic noise and working on laptop in a moving car
  • Full Fledged work from car: Tried this only once few months back for few hours while my daughter was taking an exam. I used the front passenger seat, laptop and headset for making calls. The set up was comfortable and weather (heat) was bearable so AC was not required. No power backup/charging was required. However, for permanent work from car, power back up for laptop, space to keep water bottle, a mug etc would be required. Good part would that the bed would be few inches away for a quick nap, if required.
Old 3rd December 2020, 12:25   #36
Senior - BHPian

I've used the front passenger seat of my Triber to give voice to my long YouTube Dash Cam Drive videos, as it keeps me away from my 3 year old son and all ambient noises that may be recorded while giving audio to the videos, it's like my small personal studio space
Old 3rd December 2020, 12:36   #37
BHPian

I've worked from the car a couple of times on long trips. Only for emergencies though due to worries of idling the car for too long.

Now, an interesting tangent that just crossed my mind related to idling. Electric cars will be ideal for Work From Car requirements, isn't it? No worries about idling at all.
anilp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 12:44   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Idling the car has always been a mental block with me personally - too much fuel wasted.
That would be one more advantage of the electric car!
shobhit.shri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 12:51   #39
BHPian

Most of my interstate travels for business has been in my car, though my company allows flight travel

Have taken innumerable number of business calls and even worked with a laptop in the parking lot when I arrive too early for a customer meeting.

But I have read on the internet that the AC in an idling car can kill you if you spend long hours. I remember a story of a poor kid left to sleep in the car in chennai. I dont know how authentic that story is. But after an hour or so i do switch off the car and step out to get some fresh air. Anyone has a definitive answer to this? Is AC in an idling car really that harmful?
Old 3rd December 2020, 13:08   #40
BHPian

For an emergency, yes! Cannot think of using the AC at idle for long duration. And longer duration means hunger- I hate eating in my car!!
Old 3rd December 2020, 13:12   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Not really recommend for extended hours. Engines , brakes, and transmissions...
Add components like the brake booster and alternators. Brake boosters work on a vacuum created by the engine and it'd never be used for hours if one is sitting at idle. The alternators generate heat and generally don't have cooling mechanisms like the engine.
Old 3rd December 2020, 15:08   #42
Senior - BHPian

This is the growth of a bad trend.

Back in the day you worked at the office. With the advent of internet from home your boss ensured you got some work to do even after you reached home/weekends. With the whole wireless technology/dongle your excuse for out of station could not work.

The last unexplored realm is the journey. Commute !
With self driving cars on the horizon I expect we will be made to work on the "Drive" to work. Even with aero planes having Wi-Fi, people are working on board aircrafts .

It is good to have an option when there is an urgent situation for us to finish the work. Otherwise maybe its time we took a step back, retrospect and realize there are much more important things in life to look at and enjoy.
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 15:51   #43
Senior - BHPian

I think many chauffeur driven cars are second offices where the bada saab sits at the back with phone in hand and gives out instructions and orders. Never used the car as on office myself but on couple of occassions I sat and gave interviews on a couple of ocassions.
Old 3rd December 2020, 16:31   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
I've worked from the car a couple of times on long trips. Only for emergencies though due to worries of idling the car for too long.

Now, an interesting tangent that just crossed my mind related to idling. Electric cars will be ideal for Work From Car requirements, isn't it? No worries about idling at all.
Seems correct in direct sense as there is no air or noise pollution from the car but Electric Cars are charged by electricity supplied from power plants majority of which is coal based. So indirectly, we harm the environment. Recycling of batteries too remains an ecological concern.
Old 3rd December 2020, 16:35   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahuKetu View Post
Seems correct in direct sense as there is no air or noise pollution from the car but Electric Cars are charged by electricity supplied from power plants majority of which is coal based. So indirectly, we harm the environment. Recycling of batteries too remains an ecological concern.
That's a never ending debate there. Not getting into that.

Idling of cars is worrisome to me only from damage to the engine perspective. No other reason.
anilp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks