Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Will you eat lab grown meat vs the actual animal meat?
Yes 159 58.24%
No 114 41.76%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2021, 21:14   #91
BHPian

Re: Will you eat lab grown meat vs the actual animal meat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I love your example.
Thankee

Quote:
...End of the day its all economics and money.
And there sir, you've hit the jackpot. It is all about the money. Imagine getting all the meat taste, nutrients and aroma without the hassle of unhealthy stuff, logistical nightmare (decay), limited storage period and so on.
PS: The next in thing is insect food. I've tried insect burger as well. You can't exactly discern it unless specifically mentioned and this is getting an even bigger play since insects are rich in protein and nutrients and are cheaper by a big margin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
How is fat harmful? Animal fats, that includes diary are the best source of nutrition and absolutely essential. Animal cruelty argument is just posturing for the privileged, the diary chain life cycle is built on the eventual slaughter of the animal.

The carbon footprint of lab grown meat will be a disaster, but the virtue signalling opportunity will be limitless. This product is proof that meat tastes better, if vegetables were so tasty why try to replicate the taste of meat for vegetarians?
Ayi yayi yayi yaaayi.. so many issues raised. I won't exactly delve in to your personal thoughts but a few points:
1. There are harmful fats. Not all fats are good. Link
2. "posturing for the privileged..." Aren't most developed world things? You really think work life balance is something a daily wage laborer or stone mason worries about?
3. The carbon footprint of lab grown meat will be a disaster, but the virtue signalling opportunity will be limitless... Fun fact, even water intensive crops have a very high carbon footprint but carbon footprint of lab grown meat is still being debated with most agreeing it'll bring down emissions at least for beef replacements (link 1 & link 2). Have you read anything to the contrary? Please do share
4. This product is proof that meat tastes better, if vegetables were so tasty why try to replicate the taste of meat for vegetarians? Again, it all boils down to personal preference, it isn't just for vegetarians.

PPS: Are you really saying aloo tikki with chole tastes any less than chicken tikka? Come on buddy! Or lachha tokri or moong dal halwa or raj kachori are not as good? Phew! Dang, all the mithais are veg yaar
Old 5th January 2021, 21:32   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
PPS: Are you really saying aloo tikki with chole tastes any less than chicken tikka? Come on buddy! Or lachha tokri or moong dal halwa or raj kachori are not as good? Phew! Dang, all the mithais are veg yaar
The aloo tikki and chole with or without Butter?

Same for the sweets, are these with or without diary.

This is kind of relevant because butter was one of the first things they tried to replace with margarine.

Margarine was not exactly the healthy alternative it was supposed to become.

Last edited by bblost : 5th January 2021 at 21:33.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 22:29   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post

Ayi yayi yayi yaaayi.. so many issues raised. I won't exactly delve in to your personal thoughts but a few points:
1. There are harmful fats. Not all fats are good. Link
2. "posturing for the privileged..." Aren't most developed world things? You really think work life balance is something a daily wage laborer or stone mason worries about?
3. The carbon footprint of lab grown meat will be a disaster, but the virtue signalling opportunity will be limitless... Fun fact, even water intensive crops have a very high carbon footprint but carbon footprint of lab grown meat is still being debated with most agreeing it'll bring down emissions at least for beef replacements (link 1 & link 2). Have you read anything to the contrary? Please do share
4. This product is proof that meat tastes better, if vegetables were so tasty why try to replicate the taste of meat for vegetarians? Again, it all boils down to personal preference, it isn't just for vegetarians.

The link you shared admits that this is highly processed junk, requires a huge amount of energy, of course that can be offset using renewable energy which can be relied on as there is no time when the sun doesn't shine or there is no wind.

1. Animal fat is good for you, doesn't matter what ivy league study you quote.
2. You obviously don't know too many daily wage labourers, they have a better with life balance than most corporate types. Maybe, where you're from, they're not paid well, so your contempt for them.
3. Beef doesn't need a replacement(there'll never be one), factory farming however needs to be exposed for the horror it is. Lab grown meat is made using chemicals, none of which are natural, this is a cure that's worse than the disease. Meat isn't the problem, processed carbs and sugars are.
4. Vegetarians are clamoring for this, no meat eater wants beef to taste like beetroot.

Chicken Tikka tastes better than Aloo /Chole whatever, the other dishes you mention I have tried to tokri and kachori, they are really lame and moong Dal halwa is really terrible, give me the Tirunelveli one any time. Sweets/deep fried junk are vegetarian, and they are unhealthy, practically responsible for every lifestyle disease.

Lab grown meat which is fighting a lonely battle against the big bad meat industry has only venture capital, big tech, the media and billionaires on its side. This sounds like the EU renewable energy plan, subsidies ensured that the grid was always supplied even though it was solar. The crooks were running floodlights on diesel generators to produce solar energy. The diesel also was subsidised because carbon footprint whatever, it's a gift that keeps on giving.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 10:38   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Which begs the question : are vegetables less tasty than meats?
Omnivore Replying: Yes they are.

Would I eat lab grown meat? Sure if the real meat is not available in the future to come for whatever reasons.

Wonder why some of the comments are veg vs non veg...

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd January 2021 at 05:18. Reason: Tpo.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 11:01   #95
BHPian

I do think, based my own experience and that of my friends/family, that non-veg food is tastier than veg food. A few of them were vegetarians until adulthood and then converted.

Eating another living being was probably a necessity for a large part of human history, but it is no longer so. There are alternatives - fruits, grains, vegetables. And, while agriculture also kills insects, rodents, worms, locusts etc., it is a far peaceful means to acquire nutrition.

Of course, there will be many justifications to keeping eating dead animals; but the really primary one is taste/texture/smell.

However, if this lab grown meat is able to replicate the taste/texture/smell of the real meats, it will be a good alternative to animal slaughter. Now, whether it is healthy, well, what is currently available isn't much healthy anyway, with all the hormones, steroids, antibiotics, so let's wait and see.

cheers

Last edited by Aditya : 6th January 2021 at 20:32. Reason: Typos, language
lazy is offline   Received Infraction
Old 6th January 2021, 11:55   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
The link you shared ...it's a gift that keeps on giving.
Sigh! Not arguing. My suggestion would be simply don't eat or better still ignore.
Those who are interested will do so.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 18:34   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is not my question.

My question is why not make vegetables tastier and more desirable.
Actually I did in a roundabout fashion

Unprocessed Vegetables cannot be made to taste like meat.
Processed vegetables have been tried but cannot be made to taste like meat.
Textured vegetable proteins are the ones that are closest in texture to meat. (Soy protein as well as desi wheat gluten - forgot what it is called in vernacular)
One needs to remove the underlying flavor of TVP (that is difficult and there is always a trace), and one needs to ADD "meat" flavor.
Most food chains have been doing it and getting away by blending with real meat and usage of vast amount of processing and flavor enhancers (like MSG).

Bottom line: It has been tried earlier and the results are not that great - at least not to swing the meat eating public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Which begs the question : are vegetables less tasty than meats?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
I think there should really be any debate on whether meat tastes better than veggies. It does.

It is possible that some people feels otherwise, but I am sure they would be in the minority, and most among them hadn't tasted any meat or restricted themselves to one or two servings of chicken.

Veggies tastier than beef and pork? No way!

Compare a Mutton Biryani with a Veg one!

Howsoever we may deny it (due to moral bindings), but there is an inherent human preference towards the taste, texture, flavor of various meats, and therefore people want to make "artificial meat" (because it will SELL).
The only thing where we may have wide difference in opinion is the smell of meat.

Last edited by alpha1 : 7th January 2021 at 18:40.
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 18:50   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Howsoever we may deny it (due to moral bindings), but there is an inherent human preference towards the taste, texture, flavor of various meats, and therefore people want to make "artificial meat" (because it will SELL).
The only thing where we may have wide difference in opinion is the smell of meat.
I have my own (strong) views on the subject. However, I'm eager to understand what others think, especially those who have discovered meat-eating.

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd January 2021 at 05:18. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 7th January 2021, 19:01   #99
BHPian

People who are saying vegetables or vegetarian dishes don't taste as good as chicken etc have surely not eaten a good plate of Rajma-Chawal or Chhole Chawal or many more like this, and I am saying this as a meat eater.
As for people who are saying why eat animals when you have so many vegetarian options, I think many don't realize why dairy and meat eating became so popular. It all started out of necessity. If you have done some farming, you will realize how very difficult it is to grow crops, especially organic crops and dairy and meat are comparatively easier to farm and hence there is a better chance that you will be able to feed your family or earn much more decently. I know that my mom recounts how so many times when their crops used to fail or they didn't get a good price for their crops due to a glut, the milk and other dairy products helped them survive the bad times and even now, milk is a product which provides a good source of income to many farmers.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 01:40   #100
Team-BHP Support

Is this the start of plant based protein going mainstream?

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/80366905.cms

Quote:
Becoming the first-ever QSR chain in India to include plant-based protein in their food menu, Domino’s India operated by Jubilant FoodWorks has launched ‘The Unthinkable Pizza’, which has the same taste as that of chicken. Available across the major cities in India namely - Mumbai, Bengaluru and Delhi NCR; this move is being welcomed by all the vegetarians across the country.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:57   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Is this the start of plant based protein going mainstream?

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/80366905.cms
Plant based protein has always been mainstream in India, hasn't it. I eat many more pulses than I do Chicken or Mutton. Also, the line in the article, that the move is welcomed by vegetarians makes no sense to me as they are not the people who this is intended for. So basically, they welcome the move because they wanted to morally police the non vegetarians.
As a farmer, I hope we don't start putting more restrictions on people's food choices. I am someone who plans to become completely self reliant when it comes to food and trust me, meat and dairy will continue to be a part of my diet because I can farm them more successfully than I can grow vegetables for now.
rdst_1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks