Old 12th April 2007, 10:26   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Don't thing its anything to do with competence here
There are two factors
1. Number of engineers in the US were lesser than the demand
2. Indian labour is cheap.

As for IQ,good worker-bad worker, you will find idiots and genuises in very race and country.

If there is any difference which I have seen w.r.t Americans and Indians(Migrated H1B) it is the fact that an Indian is ready to work 80 hours a week and disregard his family and personal life for work.

Work life balance as a concept exists for lesser number of Indians than americans. Surely there are some americans too who put work over life, but their percentage is smaller than indians.

Here I have seen people working on friday evening till 2am saturday morning. Parking lots are pretty populated at these odd times in India, but in the US you will atmost find 2-3 cars and they will be Indians!
i will agree with u there...yeah americans overall value life over work...I think that work should not be the only thing in life, unfortunetly so many indians believe u have to work like a dog just to be meaningful.
Old 12th April 2007, 10:37   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
A quick glance through the List fo Nobel Prize winners in Pure Sciences , technology , Economy for past 50 years should be an eye opener..

Also the list of pathbreaking patented techmologies / products which have dramatically changed our world will have a significant american presence.

Sometimes we Indians tend to forget that what americans outsource most of the time is low level , clerical jobs which they feel can be done by someone else at a lower cost..so that they can use their highly paid employees in cutting edge technologies.

WHat is working in favour of India is relatively low wages and large numbers of english speaking graduates / engineers ..
exactly..i didnt want to push the argument further, i just sorta stirred the pot to see what would happen. Its true, this is low level work, but iono to some people its like the greatest thing ever. But look, with a population of less than 300 million...and not even 150-200 million when these inventions happened..its amazing America has done what it has done.
Old 12th April 2007, 10:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I dont have any theory here....but a simple one line thing.....the IQ of a indian is a bit high when compared to a average american.......this is because to survive in india for one`s bread and butter is quite difficult when compared to america....
That my friend is plain rubbish - to put it mildly and slightly racist as well.

To answer the main question, yes, some of the Indian IT pros I meet abroad are quite arrogant. They have no respect for the people or the country that they are working in. Yet all want to be there. But I guess the arrogance, or whatever it is, is because they work with 'lower - grade' American employees. They have not seen the Real-McCoys yet. I must hasten to add that not all are like that. But the ones who are, are in significant numbers. That's my experience. Others may differ. And I think this attitude is there with all South Asians - they just consider themselves more brainy.

Also, there are more Indian engineers in the US primarily because the Indian government subsidizes education in India, primarily in institutions like the IITs. Just think about it - would all those who went to the US have been able to afford market rates for their BTechs?
Old 12th April 2007, 10:46   #19
Senior - BHPian

At the same time lets not condemn all Indians. There are great guys amongst just like among them. Don't categorize all work done in by Indians in India/U.S is low level also.
Old 12th April 2007, 10:47   #20
Team-BHP Support

wow another one on IT!!

@cal.. i would say its more of frustration and insecurity which made your gang@weekend make those comments.

i have seen very humble, well mannered so called IT pros from US as well as arrogant ba@@@ds so its just like in any other place and industry, different people different outlooks
Old 12th April 2007, 10:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

sir I did not meant to be a racisit....If my comment was not liked by you I am sorry for that....I did not meant that.....
Old 12th April 2007, 10:53   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
That my friend is plain rubbish - to put it mildly and slightly racist as well.

To answer the main question, yes, some of the Indian IT pros I meet abroad are quite arrogant. They have no respect for the people or the country that they are working in. Yet all want to be there. But I guess the arrogance, or whatever it is, is because they work with 'lower - grade' American employees. They have not seen the Real-McCoys yet. I must hasten to add that not all are like that. But the ones who are, are in significant numbers. That's my experience. Others may differ. And I think this attitude is there with all South Asians - they just consider themselves more brainy.

Also, there are more Indian engineers in the US primarily because the Indian government subsidizes education in India, primarily in institutions like the IITs. Just think about it - would all those who went to the US have been able to afford market rates for their BTechs?
that last statement is quite true.
Old 12th April 2007, 10:57   #23
Team-BHP Support

ok guys. I think we can put an end to this topic before it drags on for pages. We already have a few ongoing discussions on similar topics. If you really, REALLY feel the need to, you can continue the ramblings over there.

This thread is closed and will be deleted shortly.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks