Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2007, 16:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

6 Months & 5 Lakhs Penalty for Running over People on the Pavement: UPDATE: Now 3 yrs

Yep, thats the sentence. here it is.

Pereira gets six months for running over seven men : Allister Pererira, Hit and run, mumbai, carter road, pavement dwellers : IBNLive.com : CNN-IBN
Old 13th April 2007, 17:57   #2
BHPian

looking at the BMW case at least Pereira got this, justice in India is a joke.
Old 13th April 2007, 17:59   #3
BHPian

This is the sorry state of affairs in most cases. Its hard to believe that people get away with killing 7 people.

Unless there is something done about hostile witnesses, this trend will continue. I am sure all witnesses would have received death threats and bags of money.
Old 13th April 2007, 18:08   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am sure all witnesses would have received death threats and bags of money.
Dude, before you go shooting your mouth off, try and ascertain the facts. I don't know what's happened in this particular case, but I am in the middle of an accident case myself, and have seen first hand how the cops fabricate witnesses. This is a known fact, acknowledged by the cops and lawyers there.
Old 13th April 2007, 18:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarenracer View Post
looking at the BMW case at least Pereira got this, justice in India is a joke.
That Nanda guy went to prison for over a year, if I remember right. It's another matter his became a cause celebre.

Rt, relax! I know this must hit a raw nerve, but kvish is just expressing what a lot of people think

Why hasn't the BMC been indicted for letting its (subcontracted) staff sleep on the pavement?
Old 13th April 2007, 20:32   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Dude, before you go shooting your mouth off, try and ascertain the facts. .
A photographer who says he took the initial photos says he didnt take it....

His blood and urine reports were never even submitted....what does that say?

Road Transport Officer could not identify the photos as he said that he was "not wearing his spectacles".

Police will obviously have hand in this too....

The writing is on the wall...need not shout my mouth off for it!
Old 14th April 2007, 07:56   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Why hasn't the BMC been indicted for letting its (subcontracted) staff sleep on the pavement?
Exactly my thoughts.
While the driver got what he deserved (or atleast a part of what he deserved), what about the people who shouldn't have been there in the first place? And what about the people who should have ensured that no one should have been sleeping on the pavement?
Old 14th April 2007, 11:07   #8
BHPian

Hey Kvish i am with you. everything is clear in the case, big shot businessman's son, IMHO he might have pumped money.
Dont know how much justice the FINE does in the case but the 6 month thingy will change the person i feel.
Off Topic - The girl in the car lives in my area will try to trace her, do see her in the gym somtimes.
Old 14th April 2007, 11:26   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The writing is on the wall...need not shout my mouth off for it!
Look, i'm not condoning what this guy has done. All I'm saying is that unless you have first hand experience of how these things work, try are resist blurting out statements like our news channels do i.e. without any facts.

yea, a couple of years ago I too would have probably jumped on the bandwagon here. But as they say, experience changes everything.

I've seen first hand the way our cops go about investigating cases and getting their conclusions. Ridiculous is not the word for it. Though I do agree that some of the things mentioned here do seem rather absurd (forgetting his glasses??!!? Heck, if I was the judge I would have asked someone in the courtroom to lend him their glasses!).
Old 14th April 2007, 15:08   #10
BHPian

this guy deserves more punishment only 6 months is to less for his crime of dui soon i guess the mafia is going to dump the guns and knifes and buy 3 tonnes jeeps because the time is much less.
Old 14th April 2007, 15:19   #11
Team-BHP Support

The guy got the punishment according to law. If you kill 1 or kill 1000, you will be charged under same section.
The only anomaly which happens here is that it appears(media claimed) that he was drunk at time of accident, but cops bungled up those reports etc., so he could not be charged with drunk driving which carries a much higher punishment of culpable homicide not amounting to murder.
Apart from this, as per the law this guy has got what is written in the law.
Old 15th April 2007, 10:40   #12
SuperSyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Dude, before you go shooting your mouth off, try and ascertain the facts. I don't know what's happened in this particular case, but I am in the middle of an accident case myself, and have seen first hand how the cops fabricate witnesses. This is a known fact, acknowledged by the cops and lawyers there.
Yes I am quite sure Periera didn't run over and kill those people. The police fabricated the whole thing.

Just because you are going through a personal tragedy does not mean that other cases of genuine criminal behavior are also 'police fabrications'. It is a shame this fellow got off so lightly, would not happen in any other functional democracy.

Old 15th April 2007, 10:43   #13
Team-BHP Support

Another news, he is not going the fine, his insurance company will, since he is charged only with Rash and Negligent driving, not drunk driving.
Old 15th April 2007, 13:39   #14
BHPian

Well,

All said and done.. Whether the guy was drunk or not.. Whether it was rash driving or not.. The whole point is.. Why are people sleeping on the footpath in the first place... The whole system is wrong.. The govt. shud ensure that there is no one sleeping/dwelling on the pavement in the first place... Lets consider a fact that if one of us in our senses wud have lost control of the vehicle for some reason and the same thing wud have happened.. Then??? If there were no people only the car wud have been damaged after hitting the boundary wall of the building and nothing wud have happened.. There are so many accidents that happen regularly.. People going on footpaths, into poles.., Into walls of building.. U never come to know of these things.. Just that the factor absent in these cases are the people.. So I wud not blame the guy for killing.. For bad driving maybe coz we really dont know the truth..

Can give u my example which happened in 1993.. I was driving a 118 NE early in the morning and wanted to go swimming with a friend.. So i go to his place by 6.30 to pick him up but he decides not to come as he wasnt feeling too well. Well i am in no mood to go alone and to decide to head back home.. It was raining heavily that day and on one turn a nail decides to puncture my tyre and at that time NE's came with PLY tires.. The cars starts to pull to the left and i go slidding against the wall till i hit a tree head on.. Now tell me.. In this scenario if people were there, the case wud be the same.. Was it my mistake.. rash driving.. Drunk driving ???

Why base ur judgement on something that is media fabricated...

Cheerssss

Last edited by EVO6 : 15th April 2007 at 13:41.
Old 15th April 2007, 13:48   #15
Team-BHP Support

talking about vehicles going into holes, footpaths etc, i came across a whole TRAILER which fell into a ditch in the middle of the raod. the digging was for the road construction work being carried out at thane belapur road. Adn yes, the trailer was hole was almost a perfect fir for the trailer, just enough.
Saw it pulled out and left in the middle of the road the nest day.

manson.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks