Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2021, 09:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

Half of India's elderly are unwell - what are you doing to live better in your senior citizen years?

Health is something that is very important these days. Especially in the WFH days as most of us are sitting down in one place and not moving about. Here are some things that I'm doing to ensure we retain our health for long.

• 3 days a week I cycle around 20-30 km, sometimes longer on weekends
• Have set a target on my smart watch which alerts me if I'm having a slow day (in terms of physical movement)
• Stand up from time to time rather than just sit in one place continuously
• Eat healthy - thanks to pandemic, most of the food is home made and we are trying out new recipes
• On days that I miss cycling due to any reason, an evening walk makes up for it
• Grocery runs are now done walking than taking out the car
• Most important - I have improved my sleep patterns and now wake up early super fresh after a good 7-8 hrs sleep.

Quote:
About 75 million elderly people in India, or one in two above 60 years of age, suffer from some chronic disease, shows the first part of the world’s largest study on the aged released by the health ministry on Wednesday.
According to the Longitudinal Ageing Study in India, 40% of the elderly have some form of disability, 24% have difficulty in performing daily functions such as walking, eating etc, 20% suffer from issues related to mental health and 27% have multi-morbidities.

The survey used bio-markers based on direct health examinations to estimate the prevalence of chronic health conditions, including hypertension, visual impairment, overweight or obesity or under-nutrition and chronic respiratory diseases.

Around three-quarters of those 60 and above who were diagnosed with chronic conditions have been treated for hypertension (77%), chronic heart diseases (74%), diabetes mellitus (83%), chronic lung diseases (72%) and cancer (75%).
More than half the elderly have been treated for stroke (58%) and bone or joint diseases (56%) whereas the treatment rate for neurological and psychiatric diseases is 41%.

The survey also showed that about one-fifth of those 60 and above, who are officially retired, are currently receiving pension and an additional 3% are expected to receive it. A large proportion (78%) are neither receiving nor expected to receive pension.

The study was commissioned by the Union health ministry in 2016 to track ageing patterns and diseases affecting those over 60 years of age with an aim to provide a base for national and state-level programmes and policies for the elderly population. The share of the 60 plus in India’s population is likely to go up from 8.6% in 2011 to 20% in 2050.
Half of India's elderly are unwell - what are you doing to live better in your senior citizen years?-screenshot-20210108-8.55.06-am.png
blackwasp is online now   (38) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 10:07   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Half of India's elderly are unwell - what are you doing to live better in your senior citizen ye

I got to admit, seeing my parents take 10 - 15 pills on a daily basis has greatly influenced my health regime. I hope to see better health in my senior citizen years. My 20s & 30s were the decades of excesses (excessive damn everything!), but the 40s have seen an addiction to fitness . Since turning 40, I have:

• Quit smoking. No more Marlboro Reds, not even a puff. No hookah, no vaping, absolutely zero nicotine

• Installed a gym at home and I work out almost everyday

• Dropped carbs & adopted the LCHF lifestyle

• Dropped 20 kilos and have come down to 72 - 74 kg weight

• Become damn particular about sleep. I get my 7 - 8 hours every night

• Although I still love my 4 a.m. party nights, whenever it is possible, I start early & end early

• Removed 90% of the stress from my life. It's just not worth it. Of course, if you are a working professional or a businessman, some stress is inevitable, but its important to keep things at a manageable level

• Started meditating on a daily basis

Last edited by GTO : 8th January 2021 at 10:08.
GTO is offline   (58) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 10:26   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Half of India's elderly are unwell - what are you doing to live better in your senior citizen ye

If half of India's current elderly are unwell, the current 20-40 year olds are going to have it much worse. At least our parents' generation had some semblance of daily exercise in their youth, by virtue of walking/cycling/climbing stairs/domestic chores being part of their daily routine.

Our lifestyle: eating out, late nights (working / "Netflix and chill"), the professional / peer pressure stress and a general lack of stability due to constant shifting of base.

Oh, and the current favorite of pumping weights in the gym to exercise isn't the best form of exercise either!

The medical/insurance companies must be looking forward to how we mess up our health.
libranof1987 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 11:02   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

After seeing the way elders are being restricted during this pandemic and forced to stay indoors by their families, I think Financial Independence is the most important thing for a mentally healthy life in my senior citizen years!

Have heard too many of my friends proudly tell me how they are keeping their parents indoors all the time and not letting them even meet their friends and relatives in the open. Of course "it's for their own good only!"

Of course each person is different and each family situation, and maybe most parents don't mind. But speaking for myself, if I were in my late 70s or 80s, unsure of exactly how much time I really have left to live, I'll be dammed if I let anyone tell me what to do in those years! And the only way to ensure that is to be independent of any 'well-meaning' relatives!
am1m is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 06:52   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Good thread. In addition to maintaining our health, it's also becoming important to tweak the routines of our parents. Now I don't consider myself a very fit person, but what I noticed that my parents (and relatives) weren't either. Pushed for some habits over the last decade and the results have been very good

- induced a cycling habit with my mom. She's been diligently (much much better than me) doing daily rides of 5 kms over the last 4-5 years now
- tried something similar with my dad - while he did pick it up initially, now he's gone back to his normal routines of daily walks. But the peer pressure helps so he doesn't skip the walking any of the days

Trying to see if we can reduce lesser junk / snack food in my parents' house. Default option has always been to keep a few biscuit packets, a few sweets and south indian snacks in the house - these always have been replenished in the past. Now I'm pushing hard to do away with this habit. When my grandmother was alive, atleast some of them would be made at home. Currently, all of these items are purchased.

Look around folks - chances are there would be bad habits even in your parents and relatives' daily lives. See if you can get them to adjust/improve.
ninjatalli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 19:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

By birth, i am vegetarian. So, no non veg. By brought up, absolutely no smoking, no drinking (spirits) and not even coffee tea.

I don't crave for high professional growth, salary, progression etc. I was craving during first 10 years of my service but realized that the only cause of stress in life is, being here and wanting to get there. And that, performance is not the only criteria to go up the career ladder but it also needs additional skills. Decided to quit from the rat race(not from the job, but only from the rat race) and I just do my job with utmost sincerity, and only what interests me. That way, all virtual pressure is out of my life.

Physical exercise of 1 hour walking every day is part of my life.

Last but not least, Have learnt that eating when its time to eat is the most harmful eating habit.

Therefore, I eat only when I am hungry and not when it's time to eat.

I think with these habits, i am very happy and would continue to be healthy for next 9 years(now I am 51)

Last edited by gkveda : 9th January 2021 at 19:41.
gkveda is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 20:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Not to offend anyone but I just got this whatsapp forward which I thought would add some humour here
Attachment 2105459
Attached Thumbnails
Half of India's elderly are unwell - what are you doing to live better in your senior citizen years?-img20210109wa0008.jpg  

Last edited by Jaguar : 9th January 2021 at 20:27.
Jaguar is online now   (26) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 22:38   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Not to offend anyone but I just got this whatsapp forward which I thought would add some humour here
Attachment 2105459
I am sure the WhatsApp forward was intended to be a joke, but I have seen a lot of people in real life who make this inane argument, quite seriously. Can't be farther from the truth.

By maintaining fitness & discipline, we live our younger as well as older years well.

I am glad that I came across this thread. Issues like this are what are really important, if you ask me. Not the 'issues' popular in the media.

By the way, being vegetarian do not mean it is healthy (I am a pure vegetarian from birth). What really matters is:

1. Whether we are taking a balanced diet (our traditional Indian diet is high in carbohydrate and poor in protein and fruits and vegetables). Be veg or non-veg, but we need to get the composition of our diet right - enough protein, only sufficient amount of carbohydrates & fat, liberal amounts of vegetables & fruits, and enough variety of dietary components to ensure adequate source of minerals & vitamins. And not to forget that our 'normal Indian diet' is high in sugar & salt. Minimal or no sugar is best and salt intake needs to be less than 5gm/day too. (I know the sugar part is the toughest part, but I am living proof that it can be done, even without having diabetes. I am not 'fanatical' about not having sugar and do refuse beverages with sugar offered during social interactions)

2. Physical activity should have exercises which improve cardio vascular health (brisk walking, jogging, cycling, swimming etc) as well as muscle strengthening workouts (resistance training). Having adequate muscle strength (doesn't mean 'big' muscles but having muscles which are strong - results from moderate resistance training using simple dumbells etc) and retaining muscle mass (preventing loss of muscle bulk) into old age is extremely important for healthy living in old age (in addition to younger ages).

I think if we get these two things right, we have done our part in keeping ourselves healthy (unfortunately, easily said than done - but it is possible).
sparameswaran is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 01:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparameswaran View Post
I
By the way, being vegetarian do not mean it is healthy (I am a pure vegetarian from birth). What really matters is:

1. Whether we are taking a balanced diet (our traditional Indian diet is high in carbohydrate and poor in protein and fruits and vegetables). Be veg or non-veg, but we need to get the composition of our diet right - enough protein, only sufficient amount of carbohydrates & fat, liberal amounts of vegetables & fruits, and enough variety of dietary components to ensure adequate source of minerals & vitamins.
I don't know why people conflate Indian vegetarianism with healthy diets. Our diets are low protein high everything else. Your advice, dietary and otherwise, is spot on. When I was fitter, I changed my parents' (both senior citizens) diets and exercise regimes. Lower carbs, more rounded meals, cardio and weights, and dietary supplements for protein. They're now both fitter than I am - my mother was able to climb the back way to Edinburgh Castle as fast as a young local!

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Oh, and the current favorite of pumping weights in the gym to exercise isn't the best form of exercise either!

The medical/insurance companies must be looking forward to how we mess up our health.
In fact, weight / resistance training is probably going to keep you fitter longer than pounding the pavement running marathons. Muscle gain promotes overall health, and increases BMR (burning calories), while weight training also increases bone strength and density - which is a big concern especially in Asian (India included) women, who suffer from osteoporosis the most. And who doesn't want to have strength at any age?

Insurance companies, I'm not so sure. If everyone is claiming insurance, the model breaks. I would watch out for companies / services for seniors, from travel to retirement homes. These things will be MONEYSPINNERS and how!
v1p3r is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 12:35   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I can counter that by saying that your "youth" is indeed extended, simply because you are fitter for longer. I know some 60 year olds who are as fit as the typical 40-year old; it is truly inspirational to see them work the entire day like a young man, workout hard, look good etc.
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 17:34   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

It is true that the Indian population over 60 years of age is carrying a disproportionate share of illnesses. These could be the consequence of 6 decades, i.e. 22,000 odd days of cumulative neglect or poor habits or simply the genes catching up. You can't change your genetic inheritance but you sure can change your daily lifestyle. Good health in my humble view is built by two things. First it is built a drop at a time each day for 365 days each year for 60+ years. Second is do things in moderation - be it exercise, be it diet, be it a little indulgence, be it sex, be it worrying yourself to death - do it in moderation. No need to live like a sadhu, life is meant to be enjoyed too.

For those of you whose parents are 60+ and you are worried about their health - well tell them they can start today and change the rest of their lives. Moderation is key because it permits you to pursue that good habit for years and decades and yet enjoy life, again in moderation :-)

At 20 you have the face and body Mother Nature gifted you with. At 60 you have the face and body your habits bequeathed to you.
V.Narayan is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 12:08   #12
BHPian

The sad truth is that most people assume that lifestyle diseases like hypertension and diabetes are inevitable and a few pills a day are a part of life as they age. They think that their doctor knows best. It doesn't help that there is so much of confusion about the right kind of diet or exercise. Perhaps there is no one size fits all solution for these issues. But there are definitely a few things that one can easily do to improve health, like not smoking, limiting alcohol intake, avoiding junk food and exercising in some capacity, beyond that one has to tackle individual problems based on various factors like genetics, current lifestyle etc and experiment and see what works and what doesn't.
GLAD73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 13:46   #13
BHPian

In Ramakrishna Mutt, when I used to attend yoga classes ( very basic) the Master used tell the goals for everyday life activities. I want to share this in this forum.
They are:
1. Physically fit
2. Mentally balanced
3. Emotionally stable
4. Social Well being
5. Spiritually elevating /evolving

Most of us know and do the first one.
Fourth one is voluntary service with kindness for others in whatever way we can ( whoever come into our life on that day ) . Some people require efforts here. Some are born to do.
The second one and third one are not easy unless practiced with consciousness in all situations. Situations will always be presented to us based on our karmas. Prerequiste is honesty to ourselves.
Fifth one is the foundation for all and also the goal of life. Simple Baghavan nama chanting without anyone knowing also will do so that our ego is taken care of on a day to day basis. It is absolutely private and personal. It is prayer preferably without expectations.

All these contribute to Integrated well being and health and happiness.
HYDRAVI is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 14:12   #14
BHPian

This is an Eye-Opener thread for me I would say.

I am just under 27 but my eating & sleeping habit hasn't been the best to say at least.

I eat a lot of non-veg, sugar & junk/fast foods ( Eg. McD, KFC, Shawarmas, Grills, Coke/Non-Alchoholic Beers etc.) I am just not able to control the way I eat. Add to this - zero exercises just take around 10,000 steps alltogether a day randomly that's all.

Don't get me wrong I am not F-A-T I would say, but still weighs around 74kg.

This thread has made me think about my lifestyle again, thank you for that!

Last edited by kamilharis : 11th January 2021 at 14:21.
Old 11th January 2021, 15:13   #15
BHPian

Great thread. I read this great quote in the internet "Exercise not only changes your body, it changes your mind, your attitude and your mood". This quote is very relatable to me since I can easily sense on days where I miss exercising my body sends me small cues like body aches/tiredness and not been able to concentrate/focus.

My daily exercise is only for half an hour and I have maintained my weight of 67 kgs since last 2 years( became fat after marriage and kid for about 3 years). I am 36 years old with no smoking or drinking habit.

I have taken inspiration from my 71 year old grandfather who is a diabetic but looks very fit and healthy at his age. His daily routine consists of
1. Ragi Roti-2 Nos morning.
2. Ragi Mudde(Ragi balls) afternoon
3. Rice roti-Evening snacks
4. Small cup of rice for supper.

This has been his daily routine for almost 10 years and he has controlled his body sugar count with this regime coupled with early morning walks.

Its like your body is suggesting you to do something today so that your future self will thank you for.
chetancm7 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks