Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2021, 17:23   #16
BHPian

re: Need a guard dog for my farmhouse. Advice please!

No offence meant to you buddy but please don't even remotely think of getting a dog. Going by your post, I don't think it's the right thing to do considering the gravity of the situation.

As many on this thread have already said and I'm saying it again, it's a lifetime commitment and certainly a dog can't look after itself.
Varun_HexaGuy is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 17:26   #17

Based on the criterias you mentioned above it's highly unlikely that any breed of dog could fit under all those requirements.

I would suggest you to not take a dog just for your requirement, after all they are living entities and they need some care and they demand certain things (non-veg food, timely grooming etc.)

You should employ a proper guard and a licensed gun for any threats for your farmhouse.
VTEC_Powaaaa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 17:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

You intend to keep dogs for a specific purpose and not primarily as pets. This is easier said than done for someone who hasn’t had a dog earlier and already has resistance within the household.

From what you have said, it looks like this is going to go horribly wrong with a lot of blame games once the dogs come in. Additionally the pre conditions are going to make life difficult for the dogs and yourself.

As others have said, it is better you look at tech solutions rather than dogs.
AMG Power is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 17:43   #19
BHPian

Buddy, I would suggest please don't do this. Instead invest that money on getting a proper fence and other equipments needed to protect your farm.

Looking after a dog is a lifetime commitment and not something that can be gotten rid of. And a dog cannot look after itself. I would advice you to NOT get a dog.
Octy17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 18:02   #20
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Reading through your post and ask, just repeating what others have mentioned. Pets are family. They need love, care and need to taken care as much as they help us guard the place.

I have a rescue pet for the last 7 years and he is as much my son as my human kid is . Even if you get guard dogs, you cannot avoid some of the points mentioned (Non-veg, upkeep etc).

Not the one to comment on other factors (CCTV/higher walls etc).
bharanidharang is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 18:08   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88_TANK_88 View Post
Shop local and adopt if possible

All vegan diet is a no-no.
Those boys look well taken care of, and seem quite content with life while basking in the soft sun of Uttranchal!*

---

Coming back to the OP:
You need guard dogs and not really pets. Which is fine. Try to adopt the "farm-hand" breed and see if they can measure up to what you want. Not that high pedigree canines will not be able to do the job, but street bred dogs will have stronger instincts and will not need to be trained. It is difficult to train older dogs vs. getting them as puppies. Remember: you walk the dog, and not the other way round. If you see a canine pulling an owner (tugging), and on a leash, something is wrong.

Two of our dogs were "taken away" by a leopard in the late 90's. We never knew what happened, they ventured outside at night (our home is a huge bungalow fenced and bordering a dense forest..like really dense) and just never came back. A tiger would finish off a dog quite fast if the manage to catch one. But I guess a leopard and tigers hunting tactics vary.

Regarding keeping them clean:
1. They cannot remain hygienic on their own. They will need to be bathed, combed, tick removal powder administrated. Vaccinated, nails to be cut.
2. They will shed hair like hell once a year. It will get everywhere, and everywhere.
3. Dogs do get sick, cannot avoid. They are not "wolf" enough yet.

Dogs are a mans friend, so need constant companionship. They will adore the hand that feed them everyday-literally and listen to that human. They become family members. Our Snowy passed away in Dec 2020 after 14 years.

Best of luck!

*hometown is Mussoorie
asingh1977 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 18:14   #22
BHPian

Just avoid getting a pet, it's a full time investment, like bringing up children.

Farmland means lots of mud dust slush etc, ticks on cannines are a headache.
Vinod_nair is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 18:19   #23
BHPian

I'm sincerely hoping this is some kind of a joke.

Your best bet is to invest in a good security system. You know, CCTV, paid human security etc.

You have absolutely no idea about having dogs (forget guard dogs) and their requirements. You have to change your perspective about dogs and dogs should be treated like family. If not, then don't bother getting into it.

From your questions, requirements and absurd conditions, I'd strongly suggest you don't get dogs. Please.

Oh, and most dogs will eat and do nothing. At best, they will bug you for belly rubs. Which clearly doesn't add any value to you. So. Yeah.
vishwasvr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 18:27   #24
Team-BHP Support

You are looking for a guard/watch dog, or a working dog. It is not the same as a pet. This should be a purely outdoor dog, in order to do its job.

I grew up knowing many such watch dogs in my grandmother's farm, which were never allowed inside the home. So their cleanliness shouldn't be an issue. They are totally comfortable staying outside all the time, and keep an eye on intruders/animals and even snakes coming near the house.

I think your farmhand has much better idea about picking the right dog and training for the watch duty, which comes naturally to most outdoor dogs. Most members here are pet owners and won't be comfortable with what you are expecting from a dog.

Last edited by Samurai : 25th January 2021 at 18:54.
Samurai is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 18:27   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightSix View Post

But then there is not a complete chance that these would turn out to be like our farmhand’s — although they would be used to our habitat - I.e. food and stuff. Some of them are inferior, stray breeds and methinks they would grow up to be really dirty dogs.
Judging by your comments I am getting the feeling that I am barking up the wrong tree (pun intended), but what you need is a security guard, not dogs. Practically all dogs require some amount of care and companionship and I don't think you are ready for that.

Save yourself the trouble, save the poor dogs a lot of hardship, and just hire some guards from an agency.
Viraat13 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 18:29   #26
BHPian

Don't get a dog. Seriously.

Just like babies, dogs can't be ordered to design. It's not a computer. Dogs have personalities and each one is unique. The common thread is that every dog - like every human - craves companionship and tenderness. I've always adopted (never bought) and have had Indies all my life. I grew up with one, who was closer than a brother could have been (only child). I have two now and love them to bits - just as I love my kids.

Their temperaments can't be pre-determined and you have to love them for who and what they are. You have to train them, groom them, tend to them when they're sick, give them love when you can.

What you have defined in your post is what you can opt for when the day comes that you can design your robot-dog on a computer and get it delivered to your doorstep. Till we reach that stage, I'd advise you to not contemplate getting a dog.
imidnightmare is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 18:45   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Good to know that you are venturing into dog rearing. Thieves and nuisance creators can be deterred well by dogs. Dogs deterring tigers is unthinkable and best forgotten as these sometimes even kill dogs.

Dogs are in the best of health for upto 10 years of age. They are very playful and sometimes hyperactive till the age of 5 years. But first and foremost, these need human company (family members) for a maximum time during day. The more the better. They have to be kept physically fit. Burning calories is very good for dogs. If someone from the family goes for morning walks or for jogging, a dog would love to accompany. They also need to be bathed regularly at least once a week, during hot weather.

A dog's life span is 15-16 years, but they get old by the age of around 12 and need to be extra cared. In many cases they develop cataract and blurred vision during old age. Digestion and gastric problems are also common during old age.

As regards veg and non veg, dogs like non veg stuff but not compulsorily. I have reared one GSD till 15-16 years with only veg food, after it attained the age of five. Very less non veg was given to it after it attained the age of five. It enjoyed good, rather better health with veg food, with less of digestion and gastric problems. You can provide these with nutritious, protein rich, non oily and non masala rich food. Sugar (anything sweet) and salt are best avoided. Simple and nutritious food is very good for their health. Good quality dog food supplements are also quite necessary.

And lastly, if you venture into rearing any foreign breed, there are a few riders attached. Some of these look and also are very ferocious and aggressive with unknown people or with strangers. But they are all very sensitive health wise to ups and downs. It means that they require more visits to the vet than the local breeds. Almost once every few months and in later years once every fortnight or once a month, these develop some health issues due to their sensitive physiological conditions. These also need a lot of TLC during summer months. But it's a treat to have a GSD, Labrador or a Dobermann as they are very sharp, understanding, very,very lovable and extremely loyal to their owners, much more than some local breeds.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 25th January 2021 at 19:02.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 19:03   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

I grew up knowing many such watch dogs in my grandmother's farm, which were never allowed inside the home. So their cleanliness shouldn't be an issue. They are totally comfortable staying outside all the time, and keep an eye on intruders/animals and even snakes coming near the house.

I think your farmhand has much better idea about picking the right dog and training for the watch duty, which comes naturally to most outdoor dogs. Most members here are pet owners and won't be comfortable with what you are expecting from a dog.
Curious, but was your grandmother a first time pet owner when she did this? I know lots of people who keep dogs only for guard duty, my aunt included, but at the end of the day they understand their responsibilities and what the dog requires to be healthy and happy, and all of them have had dogs as pets at some stage in their lives.
keroo1099 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 19:15   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You are looking for a guard/watch dog, or a working dog. It is not the same as a pet. This should be a purely outdoor dog, in order to do its job.

Even for working dogs, you need to have experience and effort put in. In fact, the equation between an owner and a working dog is very focused - he does a job, you feed him.

You may not need to do expensive maintenance. But still dogs fall ill, they develop illnesses, they need to know who is the master and when to obey commands.

OP is just too inexperienced to start off with working dogs. And end of the day, OP wants the dogs to guard. How do dogs guard? By barking at any sign of an intruder. Which will plants moving in the breeze.

Someone this inexperienced should not get into any dog stuff at all. Its not OP's fault. But trying to make dogs fit a certain set of requirements, that's too much for someone inexperienced.

OP is in Goa. I live in Goa. Everyday, here, we see examples of buyer's regret when it comes to dogs. Abandoned dogs, dogs killed, thrown away, sick dogs which no one cares for. Almost in all cases, they were dogs picked up for a specific job and the dog turned out to be bad at that, and surprised the owners with care demands and vet bills. So much more peace of mind for OP and the dogs, if they avoid this entire business.
lawdgawd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 19:31   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
Curious, but was your grandmother a first time pet owner when she did this? I know lots of people who keep dogs only for guard duty, my aunt included, but at the end of the day they understand their responsibilities and what the dog requires to be healthy and happy, and all of them have had dogs as pets at some stage in their lives.
I feel your question presumes too much. I guess you are not familiar with what farm life is all about.

My grandmother was not a pet owner. At any given time, she had 4-5 cows, 4-5 cats, 2-3 dogs and 15-20 chickens. At any time one or two cows were always had to be milked twice day or they will be suffering. She and my aunts used to take turns at milking the cows and let the calves have their share afterwards. Every day cattle had to be to taken out and tied in green pasture for couple hours so that they can also have green grass to eat apart from the dry hay at the shed. Feeding the animals is a big part of farm life. I have personally done all these (except milking) as a kid/teen while spending holidays in the farm house.

If they are not at home even for a day, alternative arrangements had to be made to milk the cows, and feed the 25-30 non-humans in the farm. This is what anyone running a farm has to do.

My grandmother grew up in a farm where her mother and grandmother did the same. My great grandmother's home had a shed with 15-20 cattle since they also owned buffalos to till the rice field. I guess that is how they all learned.

If guests came house, the chickens were killed for the lunch or dinner. If a cow lost fertility, it was sold. Male calves are sold after the mother stops missing it. Cats were expected to catch rats, dogs were expected to guard the house. There was no concept of petting any of these animals. All are functional animals in a farm. I never saw people hugging/kissing animals until I came to a city in my teens and saw house pets.

Last edited by Samurai : 25th January 2021 at 19:44.
Samurai is offline   (18) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks