Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2021, 14:04   #46
BHPian

Re: My Home Gym: A guide for anyone wanting to set up a gym at home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel View Post
Any suggestions for adjustable dumbbells?
If budget permits, Bowflex. Else you can try
Cube club adjustable dumbbells. Do remember you should not throw them back on the floor like normal rubber coated ones.
sbanerjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 19:49   #47
BHPian

Despite having a fully equipped gym in my society decided to go minimalistic during multiple Covid-19 waves and subsequent restrictions. Figured, all one needs is dedication and sincerity to attain the results.

Upper body

- Have fixed a pull up bar in the balcony/terrace.
So, for pull ups or chin ups and variations.
- The L bar of the balcony for dips
- Pushups don't need any equipment. 25 variations can be done.
- Handstand pushups. Need just a wall. Any wall. The wall came with the house

Lower body

- More than 20 variations of squats. Needed just a stool or a bench for variations

- Pistol squats and skater squats

Abs

- Ab wheel. Cost me 400 bucks.
- Leg raises on the pull up bar plus variations
- crunches and variations

Cardio

- skipping rope. Cost 300 bucks. Plenty of variations in skipping available. Jack's up the heart rate and fantastic for the metabolism. Tones the full lower body.
- I live on the 7th floor of a seven storey building. So stair climbing or running from ground to the 7th floor, 25 times. Super duper cardio and HIIT.
- Had invested in a road bicycle way back in 2015. Cost me 20k then. Wise investment.

Finally Vibram minimalistic shoes. Cost 5k.

The point being, it really doesn't take much to invest in fitness. All one needs is the right attitude, which is basically free.

Going forward it really doesn't matter if another Covid-19 wave hits as my fitness and exercise regime is independent of external vagaries.
Aloneatma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 09:03   #48
BHPian

Thanks for this thread, was an interesting read.

Can someone help me setup a basic home gym? I have a decent treadmill that I've used for a year, but now I think I need to move on to a little bit of weight training. I'm 6 feet 1 inch, with weight in 80-85kg range. I have really skinny arms and legs though, and my wrists look like a teenager's. Age is 29.

I'm trying to see if I can get some strength related equipment in 10k or so? Don't want to splurge immediately, I would rather add more as I gain confidence and use the existing equipment regularly. Items i do want to add are:
  1. Skipping rope
  2. Yoga mat for the floor

Items I'm confused about are:
  1. Should I get basic weights? I'm sure I can't lift more than 10kg so maybe a set of weights that go up till 10? Or adjustable ones?
  2. Will a resistance band be helpful? Or should I think about something else?
  3. Can I get a decent bench as well? The one that has incline and decline and will allow for dumbbell based and sit-up type exercises?
Old 16th August 2022, 10:07   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSpymaster View Post
Can someone help me setup a basic home gym? I have a decent treadmill that I've used for a year, but now I think I need to move on to a little bit of weight training. I'm 6 feet 1 inch, with weight in 80-85kg range. I have really skinny arms and legs though, and my wrists look like a teenager's. Age is 29.
Well I am 6ft and 60kgs so you can imagine my condition Started basic weights during covid lockdown days with 2.5kg dumbbells. Started feeling good and moved to a 5kg pair. Then got really into it and moved onto 7.5kg pair and after a year of that now have a set of 10kgs as well.

Next year would be 12.5 or 15kgs i think.

You can really make out the differences in your body with a proper regimen. What was once a rectangular stick now has some shapes thanks to developing muscles

So take it slow, find your comfort areas and expand. But core aspect no matter what you decide on would be consistency. I don't follow fancy diets, cut sugar and stick to home cooked food mostly.

I am no expert mind you, just my experiences.
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 10:22   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Well I am 6ft and 60kgs so you can imagine my condition Started basic weights during covid lockdown days with 2.5kg dumbbells. Started feeling good and moved to a 5kg pair. Then got really into it and moved onto 7.5kg pair and after a year of that now have a set of 10kgs as well.

Next year would be 12.5 or 15kgs i think.

You can really make out the differences in your body with a proper regimen. What was once a rectangular stick now has some shapes thanks to developing muscles

So take it slow, find your comfort areas and expand. But core aspect no matter what you decide on would be consistency. I don't follow fancy diets, cut sugar and stick to home cooked food mostly.

I am no expert mind you, just my experiences.
Can you share any recommendations for good dumbells and other equipment? I'm in dire need of advice.
Old 16th August 2022, 10:22   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Items I'm confused about are....
If you have not already done so, I would advise starting body weight exercises, before moving on to dumbbells/barbells.

1. Conventional push ups
2. Hindu push ups (dand in Hindi)
3. Body weight squats (baithak in Hindi)
4. Body weight lunges
5. Cossack squats
6. Pull ups
7. Chin ups
8. Stretching and simple yogasanas
9. Skipping

Related thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ments-318.html (Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements)

YouTube has hundreds of videos that can teach you the proper form for doing the above exercises. Don't be discouraged if you can't do too many initially, persistence is the key. Start with a small number, and build up the count/set and number of sets gradually. Remember to warm up and cool down before/after your workout. All the best!

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 16th August 2022 at 10:44.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 11:26   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you share any recommendations for good dumbells and other equipment? I'm in dire need of advice.
hmm unable to send you a PM.

I use Dumbbells from Afton and RubX.

But as comfortablynumb has mentioned, i started bodyweight exercises (app by leapfitness on android) before i started my dumbbell journey.

Nowadays it's a mix of weights and cardio. Just fitness was the goal. I am no Arnold
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 13:37   #53
BHPian

Downloaded leapfitness for now and invested in a good mat and some basic accessories. Plan to scale up gradually.
Old 16th August 2022, 13:55   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can someone help me setup a basic home gym?
If you're starting proper weight training, 10kg is basically nothing and you'll need a lot more, right from the first day. Since you want to get stronger arms and legs, I recommend something like the StrongLifts program, not dumbbells. The setup in the first post of this thread is what you'll eventually want where you can squat, bench, row, deadlift etc. Once you have such a setup, you only need to buy more weights as you progress. My home setup is similar, see below:

My Home Gym: A guide for anyone wanting to set up a gym at home!-photo_6086647061857545508_y.jpg

The biggest lesson in setting up was that splurging for a proper setup is worth the cost. Get a good rack with a catch, a good bench, quality barbell and weights. Buy used if you must but don't go for low quality.

If you're not sure you'll use it and worry that it'll gather dust, go join an actual gym, see if StrongLifts or similar works for you there. After a couple of months, you'll know if you enjoy it or not and then can invest in your home setup.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 16th August 2022 at 13:58.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 14:31   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, question regarding dumbells: I have a pair of iron dumbells - the ones that is kind of fixed in the sense that the two plates at the ends are screwed onto the handle. Can we get just the plates so I can change the weight ?

Note - I dont want to get another set of same type, and also not a kit at this time.
Old 16th August 2022, 16:35   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Guys, question regarding dumbells: I have a pair of iron dumbells - the ones that is kind of fixed in the sense that the two plates at the ends are screwed onto the handle. Can we get just the plates so I can change the weight ?

Note - I dont want to get another set of same type, and also not a kit at this time.
You mean like this?
https://www.decathlon.in/p/1042303/r...1042303&type=p
Old 16th August 2022, 16:52   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
No, the chrome dumbbells.

The ones in your link use a lock at the ends. That's why I said kind of fixed weight in my post.
Old 2nd October 2022, 14:29   #58
Team-BHP Support

At-least 5 days a week, I jog / walk for 5 kms & play badminton in the evening from October to March, badminton may or may not continue in summers, but walks usually do.

Wish to set up a small gym & basically lift small weights, nothing fancy, don't want a toned body / abs etc, I am more of a lean, form over function, but been reading, weights are good to do. Found this on Amazon, is it a good start? (Space is not a constraint for the set BTW, but don't want to spend a lot as I am not sure if I would be able to justify this) Any guidance / inputs would be of help.
Thanks.
Old 2nd October 2022, 16:12   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

Any guidance / inputs would be of help.
Thanks.
Would advise to get ones with metal rod and screws to instead of these, as the plastic bolt on tends to break soon, and then again you would need to either get a new set or better ones.
sbanerjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 16:23   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanerjee View Post
Would advise to get ones with metal rod and screws to instead of these, as the plastic bolt on tends to break soon, and then again you would need to either get a new set or better ones.
Request you to please share a link, preferably from Amazon (if available there) or Flipkart or any other reliable online shop? Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks