Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2021, 09:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Robbery attempt gone south, thanks to 2 Rottweilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I’ve seen cases where the thief managed to kill the dogs with poisoned baits before managing to loot the place
Yes, this incident happened near our house. Our neighbors well fed & well cared dog (Mongrel I think), fell ill all of a sudden for no reason. Even though another neighbor was a vet, no one suspected a poison to have fed. Third day the dog died. 4th or 5th day, there was a break-into. Funny thing is, there was nothing to loot except for few plastic & aluminum vessels.

But you're absolutely right, ROT will shred humans to pieces. Have a good friend of mine in Pune, whose ROT is as calm as holy Hindu cow only to pounce on flying intruding bats to any living being in their territory. Worst thing being, it never barks, never hear it coming, even if it's harmed bones broken it never ceases to attack, it's an apt animal to be called silent killer. Yes, it's a trained dog.
aargee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 11:52   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Yes, this incident happened near our house. Our neighbors well fed & well cared dog (Mongrel I think), fell ill all of a sudden for no reason. Even though another neighbor was a vet, no one suspected a poison to have fed. Third day the dog died. 4th or 5th day, there was a break-into. Funny thing is, there was nothing to loot except for few plastic & aluminum vessels.

But you're absolutely right, ROT will shred humans to pieces. Have a good friend of mine in Pune, whose ROT is as calm as holy Hindu cow only to pounce on flying intruding bats to any living being in their territory. Worst thing being, it never barks, never hear it coming, even if it's harmed bones broken it never ceases to attack, it's an apt animal to be called silent killer. Yes, it's a trained dog.
Thieves did something similar to steal the car wheels in our street. They sedated the dogs with meat laced with sedatives and the dogs slept soundly through the night and the whole next day. The Dogs did not bark as well, so we concluded that the thieves were feeding the dogs late night with meat over the earlier few days/week to get the dogs familiarized with their presence. On the day of their operation, they laced the meat with sedatives.
sagarpadaki is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 10:10   #18
Senior - BHPian

This thief is either the biggest idiot or the most daring person - but was pretty lucky. Normally I expect them to do their reconnaissance or have an accomplice give them information. Unless you have a well-hidden CCTV camera, he was extremely daring to enter the property in the middle of the day and he wasn't aware of the presence of the dogs.

Was there something precious (like an expensive bicycle) inside your compound wall? Also, as some members suggested - please ensure your dog isn't unsupervised when outside. Nobody knows to what lengths these heartless crooks will go.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 10:45   #19
BHPian

Luckily this thief wasn’t so bright but please seriously consider installing a barb wire on that wall and maybe one more camera at the front. If the thief is determined he may try to do this act again, its a safety measure for your well being and for those wonderful dogs!

P.S: they are very well trained, my labrador can’t even scare a pigeon let alone a thief.
Mat095 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 11:00   #20
BHPian

Your Rottweilers are very well behaved and showed restraint. Otherwise that thief would have landed on the other side of the wall with a single leg only. I've two big german shepherds, one of which is mellow while the other is waiting for action.
jothishX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 11:14   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
These thieves are petty, please be vigilant now. He can try and poison the dogs.
This is so gratifying to watch! Instant 'Karma'!

The thief should consider himself lucky!

I have the same concern that he may try to poison the dogs.
Old 15th April 2021, 11:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

Worried about the dogs - he may try to poison them now. Even a surveillance camera can't help in preempting that. Please be cautious for few weeks.

One of the dogs at our parent's place was poisoned by a neighbor several years ago. The poor thing died within hours. We never made a big issue out of that but believed that Karma will run its course in time. (Which it did, and how!)
clevermax is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 12:50   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
If the dog had bitten him, would it be a problem. In US if a dog bites, I think they euthanize the dog.
I think its more for dogs let loose outdoors and not within a property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Not when someone is trespassing on your property. You have the right to defend your property. The defendant will need to prove willful and wanton misconduct.

Dont ask me why - but, I like to watch these dog bite cases on TV, and I really like how most judges are pet owners themselves, and how compassionate they are towards the pet and the pet owner.
True that, I used to help my friend who ran a dog rescue in maine where we got dogs from Georgia and found forever homes for them. People absolutely rescued any breed, cross, mutts, old, limping. The people of maine are awesome for that. The kind of love shown to their pets are something to be seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
One of the dogs at our parent's place was poisoned by a neighbor several years ago. The poor thing died within hours. We never made a big issue out of that but believed that Karma will run its course in time. (Which it did, and how!)
The story will be helpful.

Lastly rottweilers have got a reputation for being scary and a lot of folk do not want to have this around kids, but i believe if you get a pup young and train it well they are absolute darlings.

OP please give extra treats from my side.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 13:02   #24
BHPian

On a different note, your YouTube channel is full fledged subreddit for "idiots in car" . except now for the Rottweilers.
Old 15th April 2021, 13:59   #25
BHPian

Absolutely beautiful puppers! And must admit they very politely let him leave - I could see one of them running back to call the family out perhaps. Personally, we’ve become very concerned (paranoid even) about leaving our dogs in the compound. Dog napping is a real thing, is all too common and on the rise here in Bangalore. Lots of local fellows on the lookout for a quick buck and pedigree dogs (and these two look in splendid shape) fetch a pretty penny. It doesn’t take much to chuck some meat laced with something over the wall. And as others have mentioned, there are also those who would use poison. Please consider keeping them indoors at least maybe at times of low traffic.

Again, wonderful duo they are. Love Rotties. They get a bad rap for aggression but they are actually huge love bugs. Love to be fussed over and to just lay around getting belly rubs. It’s people who turn them to violence. Peaceful fellows when left alone.

Last edited by RT13 : 15th April 2021 at 14:00.
RT13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 15:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

You echo my thoughts. With Dog prices being sky-high, thieves/unsavoury guys are always strolling near my gates to grab him
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
Personally, we’ve become very concerned (paranoid even) about leaving our dogs in the compound. Dog napping is a real thing, is all too common and on the rise here in Bangalore. Lots of local fellows on the lookout for a quick buck and pedigree dogs (and these two look in splendid shape) fetch a pretty penny.
Old 15th April 2021, 15:59   #27
BHPian

That thief was lucky not to be mauled by the Rots. Being a dog lover myself, I would like to share an incident with my 9 year old female. She is "Kombai" breed - a hunting breed from South TamilNadu. There are a lot of deliberations going on with this particular breed with some saying Kombai's are extinct and so on. Anyway I do not buy that and I firmly believe she is an excellent guard and hunting dog.

A few days back she was constantly barking at around 11:30pm and I usually go out and check taking her with me. On that day she was barking crazily towards our neighbours gate. I took her on a leash only to see a drunk guy lying by the gate. I went close to him to chase him away from our street and she was constantly watching him and growling. The moment he was able to stand up, she literally tried to pounce on him and land a bite. I had to restrain her and seeing her aggression, that guy literally started walking away from our street. I could see her aggression towards a human for the first time and man was she mad as hell.

Coming to her hunting skills, she has killed a lot of cats, squirrels, rats and a few crows. Historically this breed is supposed to have descended from dholes (wild dogs) who are pack hunters. Having seen dholes at close quarters several times, I can surely see the resemblance in her.
Satish Pari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 16:29   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat095 View Post

P.S: they are very well trained, my labrador can’t even scare a pigeon let alone a thief.
A friends german shepherd ( we call him chinese shepherd due to his abilities ) barks at his home owners and has absolutely no issues when strangers come inside!! The dog has gotten slapped on his nose by street cats a couple of times
SN88 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 17:40   #29
BHPian

Rottweilers as a breed are naturally sturdy and protective of their owners. That's why they also make as good guard dogs. The dogs here have have served their purpose of keeping the intruder at bay. Hope the baddie has learnt his lesson and never returns again.
Old 15th April 2021, 19:07   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

While it is praiseworthy for the house occupants to have reared the duo from such a ferocious breed of kennels and to have duly installed CCTV cameras, they are quite self- contained to defend themselves from criminals, while facing such untoward incidents. Depending on the police and on patrolling by them as assured in the later part of the text is impractical and usually the police already overburdened with their own routine duties and rarely go the extra mile and take up extra patrolling, due to such petty theft attempt incidents. This is non-cognisable in their dictionary. If there is some major robbery or criminal incident that result in loss of a huge amount of money or loss of lives they do patrolling for some days. But after a few days, its back to the normal.

The thief to me appears like a novice, and is quite new to such criminal acts:-

-He has no accomplices with him and goes to commit the theft (or criminal act) single handedly.

-There's no one to keep a watch and warn him from outside the premises, when this criminal trespasses into the private premises.

- the criminal trespass act appears to be of a fleeting kind, as the novice criminal has no information about the two ferocious dogs and the CCTV camera within the premises, that could have undone him both physically (the dogs could have torn him apart) and legally (identification, arrest, charge sheet and magisterial custody or jail term).

- he it appears has gained expertise in defensive moves and in escaping if under attack, as he was largely unharmed after the attack by the two brave dogs.

- the criminal it appears was unarmed.

I think the police needed to have started investigations in the right earnest, to trace the criminal who had ventured in what appears to be a peaceful locality. The CCTV images (this is a secondary evidence) and the child who bravely chased him at last can provide primary evidence for such identification.

Else, the other houses in the same locality without CCTV cameras or canines can face the wrath of this criminal, who appears to be on the prowl and only too hungry to commit such crimes.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 15th April 2021 at 19:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks